Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If something new is shown at EA Play regarding The Sims Franchise, what do you think it will be?

Comments

• NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    To me it's sounding like they'll announce The Sims 5. The Sims France said "What if we talked about the future of your favorite game?". The future of The Sims (The Sims 5), or the future of The Sims 4 (a groundbreaking expansion)?. Can a TS4 expansion ever be so good it warrants being called the future of the game and appearing in EA Play for the world to see? This is the usual time they announce a new base game, like they did with 2 and 3, 5 years in. Would I be mad if they announce it now? No. I'm very excited to see the next one like always, and to me TS4 only needs seasons to feel truly complete. (witches and university/education would be nice but not essential). I'm excited to see it live for myself. I hope it doesn't leak.
  • NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    Something is going on with select game changers away to San Francisco for meetings.

Is this going on? And that soon after an expansion... It's looking like TS5 is coming! It could also be a separate online game like The Sims Online, it doesn't need to be TS5. I'm very excited about the possibilities!
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Something is going on with select game changers away to San Francisco for meetings.

Is this going on? And that soon after an expansion... It's looking like TS5 is coming! It could also be a separate online game like The Sims Online, it doesn't need to be TS5. I'm very excited about the possibilities!

Even better maybe a spin-off!(Yep I am craving for one lol) I mean we got Life Stories for The Sims 2, Medieval for The Sims 3, so what would be for The Sims 4? Nothing? Oh no, 3 years in we still get nothing, I need something to escape the traditional sandbox experience while still having Sims elements on it.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    DcD2510 wrote: »
    Keep in mind, they could release the sims 5 in late 2020 or even sometime in 2021, this gives them time to "finish" TS4 and then they can releas TS5, this also lets them take their time.
    The problem with this is that it isn’t the way that EA usually thinks. For EA everything is about sales numbers and EA doesn’t care about ideas about “finishing” TS4 at all. Also EA could easily have released popular EPs like Seasons and University a long time ago. So why has EA instead done so much to avoid releasing them?

For me to see it is instead about avoiding that reviewers just describe each new Sims game as ”Now EA is again releasing just a new version of the Sims where they first release a simplified basegame whereafter simmers again will have to wait for years before the popular and important EPs like University and Seasons are released in yet new versions too! We will advise new simmers to instead buy one of the previous discounted versions of the game where everything already is released and wait for a few years before considering to buy the new game too!”

So how should EA avoid this? IMO just by doing what they have done with TS4: avoid releasing too traditional EPs like University and Seasons for a long time. But shouldn’t EA release them now anyway just because they would likely sell quite well? IMO again no because this would hurt the sales numbers for TS5 way too much and for the reasons that I just described above. What I instead would do if I was a decision maker in EA would be to announce TS5 soon and then include the weather as one of the new things in the basegame because then I would be sure that the Sims 5 basegame would sell very well already from the beginning! ;)
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    It literally says in the article that it’s The Sims 4 and Sims Mobile that will be at EA Play.
  • keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member

The wait is going to be torture, so I hope it’s worth it. Now I feel like anything less than a new game announcement will be disappointing. I am hyped!
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    It literally says in the article that it’s The Sims 4 and Sims Mobile that will be at EA Play.

would you call it TS5 in the article before the announcement is made? Of course not. Either way a DLC announcement in EA event when no other DLC was announced pretty much would be a rather odd decision, so expect at least something groundbreaking for TS4 if nothing else.
  • 2tcn2tcn Posts: 58 Member
    Whatever it is, it sounds like it's going to be special! So hyped! :smiley:
    edited February 2018
    @mirta000 wrote: »

would you call it TS5 in the article before the announcement is made? Of course not. Either way a DLC announcement in EA event when no other DLC was announced pretty much would be a rather odd decision, so expect at least something groundbreaking for TS4 if nothing else.

Errr, They would just say “The Sims” is at EA Play not “The Sims 4 & The Sims Mobile”

Where are you getting this idea that EA haven’t been at EA Play before with The Sims 4? They have every year.

Also, where do they say an announcement is being made? They just say we’ll see what the furture holds for The Sims 4.

For reference, we got an early preview of Cool Kitchen at EA Play back in 2015. It wasn’t realeased till August.

Hardly a huge deal now was it? :tongue:
    Post edited by jackjack_k on
    It’s like history is repeating itself:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/919749/at-ea-play-they-may-have-hinted-that-a-new-sims-game-is-coming/p1

This exact thread was basically made expecting a new Sims game.

Guys, they’re not gonna use EA Play to announce a new game. EA Play is literally there to give people hands on experiences with current games.
    They’re not gonna have a Sims 5 or spin off available to play the same day they announce it.

They’ll save announcements for Gamescon, which they’ve done since The Sims 4 was announced (the Sims 4 was announced with the logo in May but nothing more than a name and that it was being developed, but officially announced at Gamescon as a full game).
  • keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    They’ll save announcements for Gamescon, which they’ve done since The Sims 4 was announced (the Sims 4 was announced with the logo in May but nothing more than a name and that it was being developed, but officially announced at Gamescon as a full game).

Well, why couldn't they do that at EAPlay, and then fully announce it later at Gamescom?
    edited February 2018

Well, why couldn't they do that at EAPlay, and then fully announce it later at Gamescom?

Why announce a game at EA Play that you can’t play, when the event is centred around being able to play EA’s current games?

EA Play play is literally an event for the public to play EA games on the pop up stands.

If they were to announce a game, they’d want a big platform. They announce at Gamescon because all the press and publications are there. At EA Play, there’s barely a platform. EA don’t have a history of announce any brand new games at EA Play.

They might break tradition, but it’s extrenely unlikely so getting your hopes up about it is kind of silly.

Also, EA usually announce new games in investor meetings. Both the Sims 3 & 4 were first mentioned in the investor conference. They then make a brief official announcement after, and it’s usually just “hey it’s coming soon” not “hey this is it”.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,827 Member

This might be an introduction to a free update for the Sims 4 and the game changers are getting a first look. We still have the whole month of March in this quarter and no planned pack.
  • littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    it'll be death by guinea pig finally returning. they received my 376 different mailed petitions and given in to my demands.
    6riwm5.png
  • graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    It's probably something like Sims mobile or Sims online I'm not getting excited bcus I learned from EA that they're cash cows and won't release a great Sims 5 maybe release even more online cartoonist game and call it Sims 5 and the new generation of simmers will fall in love with it
    Sad..
  • NikNakNikNak Posts: 302 Member
    edited February 2018
    I'm not expecting to see anything new regarding actual content. Probably just a new way for them to milk the fans for all they're worth.
  • aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Probably just talking about how Sims 4 is 'oh so great' and 'has more content ahead'. But not show anything off. They'll save announcing an EP for Gamescom if they go there. EA Play will be all about the new Battlefield which will be playable there.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

This might be an introduction to a free update for the Sims 4 and the game changers are getting a first look. We still have the whole month of March in this quarter and no planned pack.

Could be.

But seems strange to fly some (not all) of them all the way for a free update. Time will tell.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member

Could be.

But seems strange to fly some (not all) of them all the way for a free update. Time will tell.

If said free update is game-changing, maybe. Like an overhaul of TS4 to include customizable worlds and CASt. But I doubt it'll be anything of that scale. :D
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2018
    I doubt it is Sims 5. There was too much backlash about Sims 4 missing features, still is. I will not buy Sims 5, if they don't 'finish' Sims 4 first. I just wouldn't trust them to finish Sims 5 either and then I am left with two games with missing content.
    That’s exactly my fear. It occurred to me the way they are advertising for TS4 is very similar to how some app games are advertized on my iPad (think they even hired the very same voice for it). Just bought JA yesterday and really hope it will prove me wrong, but it only will when it will give me the WA vibe I’m afraid. Meaning: in depth, huge and absorbing. If not, if it’s only fun in a way I can also get out of a (free) app game, I have little confidence in future plans for the franchise.

(“game changers”..... *runs off, hysterically crying*)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited February 2018
    Erpe wrote: »
    If EA has followed their usual plan about releasing a new basegame every 5 years and announcing each new basegame about 15 months before their release then of course it will be TS5! ;)

Many simmers just don’t believe that because they think that TS4 still is missing all the “usual” EPs now that EA has replaced them with GPs and SPs instead. Beside that those simmers haven’t yet understood that it never was EA’s intention to just let TS4 become a new version of TS2 or TS3! Instead it always has been EA’s plan to let TS4 become a new and very different Sims game.

So EA planned to let TS4 even become a Sims game without toddlers and also without all the “traditional” EPs. It should be a new game and simmers who preferred the old style were expected to just still play TS3.

Later EA decided to release toddlers anyway though because the sales numbers for TS4 had been disappointing. So has EA also changed the plan about not releasing EPs like Seasons or University? I don’t know. But EA still mainly wants to release SPs and GPs because their low prices make them sell better and because they are much cheaper for EA to make. Also I am quite sure that EA wants the GPs to have mainly new content instead of becoming reduced versions of traditional EPs. But anyway all the traditional reasons why EA wants a new basegame to be released every 5 years are still clearly valid (mainly an old basegame not appealing to new simmers, new packs for an old basegame selling less and less and EA being unable to discount old packs without hurting the sales numbers for new packs). So unless EA really wants to stop the whole series soon I can’t see why EA shouldn’t announce TS5 in the middle of 2018 and release it about 15 months later as usual?

A lot of what you said just simply isn't true.

1: Sales aren't bad for the sims 4. They've posted almost every quarter that sims 4 is doing extremely well and grows each quarter

2: Toddlers were planned from the beginning to be patched in as free content. This has been stated by multiple gurus.

3: It has also been stated that sims 4 is different, and will not follow the past sims series cycles. The guru's have said that they will keep making packs for sims 4 until it no longer makes sense to.
    Post edited by Zeldaboy180 on
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
    edited February 2018
    If EA has followed their usual plan about releasing a new basegame every 5 years and announcing each new basegame about 15 months before their release then of course it will be TS5! ;)

Many simmers just don’t believe that because they think that TS4 still is missing all the “usual” EPs now that EA has replaced them with GPs and SPs instead. Beside that those simmers haven’t yet understood that it never was EA’s intention to just let TS4 become a new version of TS2 or TS3! Instead it always has been EA’s plan to let TS4 become a new and very different Sims game.

So EA planned to let TS4 even become a Sims game without toddlers and also without all the “traditional” EPs. It should be a new game and simmers who preferred the old style were expected to just still play TS3.

Later EA decided to release toddlers anyway though because the sales numbers for TS4 had been disappointing. So has EA also changed the plan about not releasing EPs like Seasons or University? I don’t know. But EA still mainly wants to release SPs and GPs because their low prices make them sell better and because they are much cheaper for EA to make. Also I am quite sure that EA wants the GPs to have mainly new content instead of becoming reduced versions of traditional EPs. But anyway all the traditional reasons why EA wants a new basegame to be released every 5 years are still clearly valid (mainly an old basegame not appealing to new simmers, new packs for an old basegame selling less and less and EA being unable to discount old packs without hurting the sales numbers for new packs). So unless EA really wants to stop the whole series soon I can’t see why EA shouldn’t announce TS5 in the middle of 2018 and release it about 15 months later as usual?

1: Sales aren't bad for the sims 4. They've posted almost every quarter that sims 4 is doing extremely well and grows each quarter
    I never said that sales were bad. The reports aren’t too convincing though because they are without actual facts about the sales numbers. Saying that the total number of sales for TS4 grows every quarter is just saying something trivial. To judge anything we need to be able to compare the quarters instead. But I agree that sales numbers aren’t too bad because EA wouldn’t release more and more packs every year if they were.
    2: Toddlers were planned from the beginning to be patched in as free content. This has been stated by multiple gurus.
    I haven’t seen such statements? Anyway it doesn’t make any sense because then the toddlers would have been in the basegame and not released more than 2 years later. But yes, I believe that toddlers were planned originally. I just believe that they were omitted anyway because the developers got into time trouble and didn’t think that toddlers were so important. If they had planned to make them later and release them in a free patch then they would have done that within a few months. But instead they waited for years and only began to make them when all the reviews kept mentioning the missing toddlers even so long time after the release of the basegame.
    3: It has also been stated that sims 4 is different, and will not follow the past sims series cycles. The guru's have said that they will keep making packs for sims 4 until it no longer makes sense to.
    You seem to be twisting their statements again. Yes, Sims 4 is different and it doesn’t get 2-3 EPs each year like Sims 3 did because EA decided to replace half of the EPs with SPs and the new GPs. Also the structure of the developing teams and their sizes are different because the many small packs and the free stuff means that more small teams have to work at the same time. The focus on SPs also means that more artists and fewer programmers are generally needed. So they also move developers more around between the teams than they did earlier. All this just doesn’t mean that the reasons why EA always has released a new basegame after at most 5 years have changed because those reasons have always just been about marketing:
    1. An old basegame with many packs released isn’t attractive to new simmers.
    2. Some of the simmers stop playing after a couple of years.
    3. Sales numbers for packs usually become lower and lower after some time.
    4. Many simmers will begin to buy old discounted packs instead of buying the new packs.
    5. A new basegame will get better sales numbers for both the basegame and packs again.
    6. A new basegame means that bugs in the old one don’t matter anymore.
    7. A new basegame can be designed better for the newer and stronger computers.
  • DcD2510DcD2510 Posts: 646 Member

I never said that sales were bad. The reports aren’t too convincing though because they are without actual facts about the sales numbers. Saying that the total number of sales for TS4 grows every quarter is just saying something trivial. To judge anything we need to be able to compare the quarters instead. But I agree that sales numbers aren’t too bad because EA wouldn’t release more and more packs every year if they were.
    I haven’t seen such statements? Anyway it doesn’t make any sense because then the toddlers would have been in the basegame and not released more than 2 years later. But yes, I believe that toddlers were planned originally. I just believe that they were omitted anyway because the developers got into time trouble and didn’t think that toddlers were so important. If they had planned to make them later and release them in a free patch then they would have done that within a few months. But instead they waited for years and only began to make them when all the reviews kept mentioning the missing toddlers even so long time after the release of the basegame.
    You seem to be twisting their statements again. Yes, Sims 4 is different and it doesn’t get 2-3 EPs each year like Sims 3 did because EA decided to replace half of the EPs with SPs and the new GPs. Also the structure of the developing teams and their sizes are different because the many small packs and the free stuff means that more small teams have to work at the same time. The focus on SPs also means that more artists and fewer programmers are generally needed. So they also move developers more around between the teams than they did earlier. All this just doesn’t mean that the reasons why EA always has released a new basegame after at most 5 years have changed because those reasons have always just been about marketing:
    4. Many simmers will begin to buy old discounted packs instead of buying the new packs.
    5. A new basegame will get better sales numbers for both the basegame and packs again.

They have said they were working on (Ideas, Formal Discussion, approval, Development etc.) Toddlers for at least a year-1.5 years and had some ideas and informal discussion months before.

They have said they were working on (Ideas, Formal Discussion, approval, Development etc.) Toddlers for at least a year-1.5 years and had some ideas and informal discussion months before.
    Then why didn’t they work on them?

Toddlers as detailed as those could easily be made in 3-6 months just like a GP is. Also postponing them 2 years and 4 months just to release them for free doesn’t make any sense - unless that it was a changed decision that made EA tell them to make the toddlers anyway.

Remember that EA isn’t a company that ever makes anything just to be kind. Everything that EA does is always about earning even more money. So EA doesn’t do anything unless EA thinks that it likely will be worth it. Free content is therefore only released to keep people interested in the game and to motivate them to check Origin more often. But toddlers weren’t nearly as cheap for EA to make as the usual free content in the updates is. Therefore the reason why EA ordered/allowed the developers to make the expensive toddlers anyway after so long time can only have been something different and for me to see also something quite desperate. So I am quite sure that the reason was that EA could see from the market analyses that the fact that the missing toddlers still was mentioned in all reviews hurt the sales numbers quite badly. So although the toddlers cost EA about the same huge amount to develop as a usual GP does and couldn’t even be sold for money then EA felt that they had no other choice except finally change an earlier decision and make the dropped toddlers anyway.

So EA can say whatever they want. I won’t believe them unless they admit that it was a changed decision to make the toddlers and release the expensive toddlers for free. I am not surprised though that EA doesn’t like to admit it ;)
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,392 Member
    If something new is shown at EA Play regarding The Sims Franchise, what will it be?

Seasons or The Sims 5? I would like either, though The Sims 5 with a release date of 2020 or 2021 would be good.

Most likely Seasons if not probebly the next gamepack or a big car update.