Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laundry is KILLING my sims

All of a sudden after my sims attended the romance festival, got hastily married and returned to their home lot the wife changed clothes from her formal wear and immediately died of laughter. Her husband was able to plead for her life and save her. But ever since both of them alternate between the confident moodlet from scented clothing and the playful one from warm clothing, these moodlets are so strong they out weigh all other moods. I have had laundry day since release and this is the first time the playful moodlet has resulted in near continuous hysterics and Im spending all my sims time calming them down in the mirror instead of living their lives. These are also my sims Im prepping for jungle adventures, they have max gardening, wellness and herbalism so far, I would hate to loose them before I even get to explore with them. Im open for any suggestions, I really dont want to get rid of the laundry I like the realism it adds. Also Im not even using the washer/dryer Im using the tub and clothes line since they are saving all their money for adventuring. Please help me save my lovely sims!

Im gonna tag a guru here in case they can provide some insight into the issue, hope this is allowed. @SimGuruGraham

Comments

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    They already know about this issue and are coming up with a fix sometime either in the patch just before the new GP or the March patch after.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • ShadyLady_DQShadyLady_DQ Posts: 476 Member
    They already know about this issue and are coming up with a fix sometime either in the patch just before the new GP or the March patch after.

LOL my sims might not last that long :D
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I've heard this is an issue, and apparently the devs are aware and are planning to tone the playful moodlet down.

Although I confess -- I would actually like to see, just once, a sim unexpectedly die of emotion in my game; it's never happened to me yet, probably because I use the mod to eliminate environmental Happy moodlets.
  • MelpomenaMelpomena Posts: 207 Member
    edited February 2018
    @ShadyLady_DQ I've had a sim who died from playfullness after she got married, a woohoo and a bath. She died while her new husband was trying to save her, but the Reaper refused to let her live.

I suggest you save your sims to your library through the households manager, just in case ...
    edited February 2018
    @Melpomena OMG such a good idea thank you!

Usually I would embrace spontaneity but in this case they had just gotten married after the love guru 🐸🐸🐸🐸 on their future relationship and they arrived home and she just keeled over. This is one of the sweetest most autonomously affectionate couples I have played, at least he saved her, but it was tense for a second!

On second thought maybe I should let them die if it happens again and the widow can go meet a new spouse in Selvadorada!
    Pegasys wrote: »
    I've heard this is an issue, and apparently the devs are aware and are planning to tone the playful moodlet down.

Although I confess -- I would actually like to see, just once, a sim unexpectedly die of emotion in my game; it's never happened to me yet, probably because I use the mod to eliminate environmental Happy moodlets.

Emotional deaths are pretty rare for me too, but yesterday I got a Sim to die from anger! Twas a lovely sight bc everyone would hate him anyway.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

well thats sad if there's one thing this game dosn't need its for death to be harder
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member

LOL my sims might not last that long :D

I would remove the W&D or hamper. That should eliminate the problem until they patch in a fix for it. Do you have any lot traits that might be exasperating the situation I'm guessing since they just got married there are no toddlers in the house they tend to be good for making sims playful very quickly lol.
    ~ ~ ~
    No lot traits that should do that, they have the homey, acoustic and great soil lot traits. I think at this point I will remove the hamper, tub and clothes line and wait for a fix.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited February 2018
    I'm just here to cash out an "I told you so" regarding the moodlet system and death by hysteria. Been saying for ages now this would eventually become a problem, and it really surprised me to hear they dared to give LAUNDRY a playful buff. Sounds like it would make for a pretty constant concern.

To OP: if one of them happens to be in the Scientist career, there's a serum called "Reaper's friend" or so. You can mass clone it, and basically what it does is protect you from death for 24 hours.

Second solution is perhaps trickier: with Romantic Garden stuff, if you can get the WORST outcome for the wish of youth, they become a ghost. You can then get the BEST outcome for wish of life with the ghost, and they're resurrected with a permanent immunity to death other than old age. Main problem is the second-worst outcome for wish of youth makes them age up, and that cannot be reversed.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I hope they don't fix it. It's kind of annoying that old age is an iron clad guarantee in this game. I like the element of danger. It keeps things interesting.
    I'd rather my Sims died from the fire caused by not cleaning the dryer's lint trap than one's extremely warm and fuzzy clean clothing.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Lol, I guess. But it sort of adds a new level to Downy giving your clothes a fresh scent & softness that is to die for. :D
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    No lot traits that should do that, they have the homey, acoustic and great soil lot traits. I think at this point I will remove the hamper, tub and clothes line and wait for a fix.

Homey might be giving them a base line boost to their happiness which might be pushing them over the edge into the dangerous higher level emotions when they hit that secondary emotion. But yeah remove one until there's a fix.

I agree that having an unpredictablness to the game is nice but it shouldn't come from simply doing the laundry. At the very least it shouldn't have a 100% chance of doing so because that takes it back into the realm of being predictable. Unpredictable random death needs to truly be random and unpredictable just like in real life.
    ~ ~ ~
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    The game needs more risky situations and accidental deaths, but death by pleasantly clean laundry is beyond the level of silliness that I can appreciate. But apparently they are working on tuning the excitement to a more reasonable level, so this should be temporary. I have to say though, it is difficult to add an element of risk to the game without it getting either too real or too silly.
    Anyway, I only use laundry in one household and had no issues yet in that regard. Those guys are just constantly setting themselves on fire, because the sims I don't control insist on doing laundry (without cleaning the lint trap).
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited February 2018
    I hope they don't fix it. It's kind of annoying that old age is an iron clad guarantee in this game. I like the element of danger. It keeps things interesting.

The problem with this manner of death though is that it completely contradicts an entire emotion and an entire personality style.

Say someone makes a file where they create Sims in the likeness of Hollywood celebrities. Guess what happens to Conan O' Brian, Danny Devito, Dave Chapelle, George Carlin and Mitch Hedberg? That's right, they all wind up dead. Not because they repaired electronics while standing in a puddle, not because a meteor suddenly fell and they didn't run fast enough, not because they stood outside in the sunlight too long as a vampire, but because of who they are personality-wise.

This has nothing to do with pure chance or bad luck and everything to do with death being inevitable for a certain type of personality. What's more, there's no realism to it. Real-life jokesters and comedians are not particularly susceptible to pre-mature death, and yet in this game they suddenly are.

The result is that we avoid an entire aspiration, an entire social category, entire careers, entire activities, an entire emotion and an entire type of personality like the plague. That's a loooooooot of features and aspects to a Sim that are basically being avoided out of fear of death. And why? All because they can't balance their own darned emotion system that they insisted on force-feeding us when they released this game.

When it comes to deaths by pure chance or negligence, I absolutely agree with you. This however is not by pure chance. It is inevitable that it occurs if your Sim has a certain type of personality, and that's the problem. Why on earth would I pick Goofball if I know I'm sentencing my Sim to death? Isn't there something frustrating in knowing an entire "category" of Sim will eventually go missing from everyone's game file due to the likelihood of one joke at the wrong time leading to death?

It's just a very frustrating design choice and it needs to be changed. As OP said, they feel compelled to actively avoid laundry simply because of one playful moodlet. ANY game aspect inducing playfulness is something that the community will choose to avoid simply because happy moodlets are spammed so hard that sometimes one playful moodlet is all it takes.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • PurrdaleckiPurrdalecki Posts: 972 Member
    edited February 2018
    Maybe try turning death off whilst you wait for a fix, instead of having to worry about calming your sims down in the mirror all the time. Press ctrl + shift + c all at the same time to open the cheat bar, type testingcheats true, press enter, and then type death.toggle false and press enter. I've never used this cheat but it's supposed to turn off death, Idk if it's limited to the current household or every sim that exists in your save including npcs and such but you can try, it's probably more preferable to always worrying about your sim dying from hysterics.

To turn death back on so sims can die again, you'd type death.toggle true into the cheats bar and press enter. I *think* the cheat resets itself so sims can die again when you close the game and open it up again, meaning you will have to input the cheat every time you start up the game but I'm not really sure. You might want to do it every time just in case.

I'd also probably disable any positive emotional auras on objects if you have any in the room because they can contribute to a hysterical death.

You can also get rid of all moodlets by typing this cheat into the cheat bar and pressing enter, thus removing the extremely playful emotion or whatever playful mood it is that kills sims:
    Sims.remove_all_buffs

However, I don't really like using that cheat because it can get confusing if a sim is pregnant, it will get rid of the pregnancy trimester buff and.. I don't *think* that gets rid of the pregnancy, but it's still more informative to me to have the trimester buffs. Also if your sim has just got married or something and they've got happy buffs for that that you don't want to remove, that would be annoying too, if they have the temporary plantsim buff, they would probably turn back into a human early if you used that cheat.

You can add some moodlets/buffs back with cheats, see here, press ctrl and f at the same time and type moodlet, it will bring you to a list of the emotion cheats if you care about the last cheat I mentioned removing every single current emotion your sim has.

tumblr_inline_o2epubgZOk1tbsl8q_500.gif
    My sims 4 studio with poses for download and stuff: click
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,475 Member
    @Melpomena OMG such a good idea thank you!

Usually I would embrace spontaneity but in this case they had just gotten married after the love guru plum on their future relationship and they arrived home and she just keeled over. This is one of the sweetest most autonomously affectionate couples I have played, at least he saved her, but it was tense for a second!

On second thought maybe I should let them die if it happens again and the widow can go meet a new spouse in Selvadorada!

I can see the wheels in your creative mind spinning over this. But, just as a precaution, upload this couple to your library. They should have all of their skills, career levels, intact. Then, should they end up dying, you can either roll with your sudden plan B, or resurrect them to their previous state and they can explore Selvadorada together, as previously planned. (Yes, I like to have my cake, and eat it, too. Where there is a will, there IS a way. ;) )
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    edited February 2018
    Thank you all for the wonderful responses and suggestions! I havent really played with them since posting this, my bf bought Monster Hunter World (OMG squee kitty warrior so cute we name him Squanchy). At this point I havent decided how to play this out, whether to remove items/traits, turn off death or simply let the sims have its way! At least they know about this issue and are planing to fix it (hopefully)
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member

The problem with this manner of death though is that it completely contradicts an entire emotion and an entire personality style.

Say someone makes a file where they create Sims in the likeness of Hollywood celebrities. Guess what happens to Conan O' Brian, Danny Devito, Dave Chapelle, George Carlin and Mitch Hedberg? That's right, they all wind up dead. Not because they repaired electronics while standing in a puddle, not because a meteor suddenly fell and they didn't run fast enough, not because they stood outside in the sunlight too long as a vampire, but because of who they are personality-wise.

This has nothing to do with pure chance or bad luck and everything to do with death being inevitable for a certain type of personality. What's more, there's no realism to it. Real-life jokesters and comedians are not particularly susceptible to pre-mature death, and yet in this game they suddenly are.

The result is that we avoid an entire aspiration, an entire social category, entire careers, entire activities, an entire emotion and an entire type of personality like the plague. That's a loooooooot of features and aspects to a Sim that are basically being avoided out of fear of death. And why? All because they can't balance their own darned emotion system that they insisted on force-feeding us when they released this game.

When it comes to deaths by pure chance or negligence, I absolutely agree with you. This however is not by pure chance. It is inevitable that it occurs if your Sim has a certain type of personality, and that's the problem. Why on earth would I pick Goofball if I know I'm sentencing my Sim to death? Isn't there something frustrating in knowing an entire "category" of Sim will eventually go missing from everyone's game file due to the likelihood of one joke at the wrong time leading to death?

It's just a very frustrating design choice and it needs to be changed. As OP said, they feel compelled to actively avoid laundry simply because of one playful moodlet. ANY game aspect inducing playfulness is something that the community will choose to avoid simply because happy moodlets are spammed so hard that sometimes one playful moodlet is all it takes.

I really don't see any of this.... I'm over here with a goofball sim who has the joke star aspiration, who ive been trying to kill from playfulness.... Seriously. The girls father also was a goofball who i tried to kill by being playful. He never died, his daughter wont die.
    Granted, i dont have the laundry pack. But I've still been trying. I actually try to kill sims emotionally all the time. If I think theyre getting too excitable or embarassed, ill purposely try to feed that emotion. And nothing. (I tried to do the cheat once, but it didnt work either, maybe i typed it wrong) im jealous of all your dead sims (apparently)
    Idk. Who gets playful from warm laundry anyway? If anything I simply get... Well, happy.
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited February 2018
    Don't mean to derail the thread - but @DeservedCriticism actually has a point (despite the fact that only when I intentionally tried, and with considerable difficulty, was I able in a test game to get my sim to die from Hysteria).

Maybe I should make another thread about this. But the problem isn't really the Playful moodlet. The problem is the effect of the Happy moodlets on everything else. It makes little sense that a sim should die from any form of happiness. This constrains the gameplay. Ideally we want our sims to be Happy without risking death AND without dampening their traits.

I remove the environmental buffs because I want to see that my Hot-Headed sim does get angry on occasion. But I also want my Hot-Headed sim to do well in their life and career.

I like seeing a unique Happy buff (from laundry, from other little things they do) even if it doesn't significantly change gameplay because it makes me feel like what my Sims do have an effect. The buffs are cute.

But now we have to be careful that they don't get TOO happy. So what will be the gameplay rewards for doing things now? Money? The game needs more unique ways for sims to spend their money. Aspiration points? More/better reward objects are needed.

Honestly I think the game needs another gameplay mechanic, where all these "Happy" buffs can go and make a difference without risking our sims lives or obliterating traits. I saw somewhere else someone suggested a "Wellness" meter. I know many people would be against that, but if very well thought out, perhaps it could make the difference and preserve/enhance gameplay and goals.
    Don't mean to derail the thread - but @DeservedCriticism actually has a point (despite the fact that only when I intentionally tried, and with considerable difficulty, was I able in a test game to get my sim to die from Hysteria).

Maybe I should make another thread about this. But the problem isn't really the Playful moodlet. The problem is the effect of the Happy moodlets on everything else. It makes little sense that a sim should die from any form of happiness. This constrains the gameplay. Ideally we want our sims to be Happy without risking death AND without dampening their traits.

I remove the environmental buffs because I want to see that my Hot-Headed sim does get angry on occasion. But I also want my Hot-Headed sim to do well in their life and career.

I like seeing a unique Happy buff (from laundry, from other little things they do) even if it doesn't significantly change gameplay because it makes me feel like what my Sims do have an effect. The buffs are cute.

But now we have to be careful that they don't get TOO happy. So what will be the gameplay rewards for doing things now? Money? The game needs more unique ways for sims to spend their money. Aspiration points? More/better reward objects are needed.

Honestly I think the game needs another gameplay mechanic, where all these "Happy" buffs can go and make a difference without risking our sims lives or obliterating traits. I saw somewhere else someone suggested a "Wellness" meter. I know many people would be against that, but if very well thought out, perhaps it could make the difference and preserve/enhance gameplay and goals.

Honestly I dont think you derailed the thread, what you said about happiness moodlets boosting everything else made me go back and look more carefully at her current moodlets. I havent played since the near death event so they are all still there. Her and her bf got engaged and married in the same night at the romance festival, in the "heat of the moment" so to speak. Each of those actions give a individual +3 happiness moodlet which alternatively boosts the current mood they are feeling. She was wearing her formal outfit which gave her the confident moodlet from the clothing fragrance, that was being boosted by the engaged and just married moodlets. Then I took them home and she changed to tend the garden and got the playful moodlet from the warm clothes and the two +3 happiness moodlets boosted her to hysterical an boom killed by being to happy what a life. :D
  • ninagreenhalghxoninagreenhalghxo Posts: 4 New Member
    Am I the only one whose Sims only get a +2 playful moodlet from laundry? I assumed this bug was fixed in the last patch update?
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    But ever since both of them alternate between the confident moodlet from scented clothing and the playful one from warm clothing, these moodlets are so strong they out weigh all other moods.... Also Im not even using the washer/dryer Im using the tub and clothes line since they are saving all their money for adventuring.

You get a "warm clothing" moodlet from clothes dried on the clothesline? I don't use the clothesline but seems like the sims should only be able to get that moodlet from the dryer...and, even then, unless you take the clothes out of the dryer pretty promptly, you won't get the moodlet as the clothes don't remain "warm" for long.
  • EvokeEvoke Posts: 416 Member
    I'd rather my Sims died from the fire caused by not cleaning the dryer's lint trap than one's extremely warm and fuzzy clean clothing.

That is one of the most hilarious things I've read lol and I have to agree
    S9d2la2.png
    Youtube || Website
    Tutorials, tips, tricks, lets plays for Sims 4