Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing without cheats

In the 8 years playing sims, I have tried playing without cheats once, before my game glitched and I had to start over. I am playing without cheats again, and I cannot tell you how exciting it is! I went from having a sleeping bag to actually being able to buy a bed, a big, clunky computer to a sleek and newer one. Even the simple decorations that I buy when my sim can afford them are a little victory for me. It seems I'm going out more too, to the library and grocery store rather than having all my accommodations at home where I never have to leave because I'm rich.

It's so much more fun playing without cheats! How many of you play cheat free?

Comments

• MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    I used to play with cheats. but I found it boring and tried no cheats. I've been cheat free since. Welcome to sims 3 cheaters Anonymous xD
    Happy Simming!♥
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    I do... sort of. I have no problem cheating to look up information that I could find anyway, like the traits of a townie or someone's relationship status (I could switch houses and then save without quitting, but why waste the time?), or maybe how quickly my sim is earning job experience (so I can switch to "work hard" if necessary). But the only thing I change using cheats is the inheritance of a household newborn whose characteristics are important to my game. I don't need my sims to be beautiful, but some of them come out looking so unfortunate that I feel an obligation to intervene, for their sake. (As in, I might be compelled to get rid of them otherwise.)

I don't use money or relationship cheats, even at the beginning of the game; I actually like the challenge of starting out broke and friendless. I do usually begin with a couple, but they have to get creative to keep themselves in a good mood—one efficient way is to set them as engaged and then make them get married right away, for a 2 day +50 moodlet. And no matter how wealthy and connected a sim is, woohoo will still fill up the fun meter faster than even the most expensive electronics.
    I do... sort of. I have no problem cheating to look up information that I could find anyway, like the traits of a townie or someone's relationship status (I could switch houses and then save without quitting, but why waste the time?), or maybe how quickly my sim is earning job experience (so I can switch to "work hard" if necessary). But the only thing I change using cheats is the inheritance of a household newborn whose characteristics are important to my game. I don't need my sims to be beautiful, but some of them come out looking so unfortunate that I feel an obligation to intervene, for their sake. (As in, I might be compelled to get rid of them otherwise.)

I don't use money or relationship cheats, even at the beginning of the game; I actually like the challenge of starting out broke and friendless. I do usually begin with a couple, but they have to get creative to keep themselves in a good mood—one efficient way is to set them as engaged and then make them get married right away, for a 2 day +50 moodlet. And no matter how wealthy and connected a sim is, woohoo will still fill up the fun meter faster than even the most expensive electronics.

cheats are typically money,motive,or instantly having 50 best friends involved. :smile: the rest are just the way you like to play which there is no problem with at all
    Happy Simming!♥
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited February 2018
    I have to admit I don't play cheat free in Sims 3. Nor did I in Sims 2. But I did in Sims 1. It was years playing Sims 1 before I even knew there were cheats! In Sims 2 I started off cheat free but soon caved. I don't know if I could play without the money cheat or the cheat to keep my sims motives all in the green.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I rarely if ever play with cheats because I can never remember the wretched things properly and getting them to work can be frustrating :) As you say playing without them can be satisfying especially watching your sim go from a struggling newcomer to a success. Looking at their household funds and knowing it was achieved by hard graft is a good feeling.

All that said I do sometimes wonder where people draw the line on not being counted as a cheat. For example the dusty old lamp which sends a genie to your home or anything which increases your sims skills faster like some of the potions. Are they cheats or not ? I've used them without thinking for years and am not adverse to delaying aging up to ensure my sim reaches a certain point in their career. I see that more as taking advantage of what is provided by the game.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    I rarely play money cheats. I do not play relationship cheats. The only cheats I really use are the motives. There are just sometimes (especially with a house full of SIMS) I need to get everyone "reset". Also, when I'm playing Uni, unless I hire a maid, I use the "clean all" and "repair all" option quite a bit. At least with "repair all" you get points toward your Handiness skill.
    <insert inspiring comment here> :)
    I rarely if ever play with cheats because I can never remember the wretched things properly and getting them to work can be frustrating :) As you say playing without them can be satisfying especially watching your sim go from a struggling newcomer to a success. Looking at their household funds and knowing it was achieved by hard graft is a good feeling.

All that said I do sometimes wonder where people draw the line on not being counted as a cheat. For example the dusty old lamp which sends a genie to your home or anything which increases your sims skills faster like some of the potions. Are they cheats or not ? I've used them without thinking for years and am not adverse to delaying aging up to ensure my sim reaches a certain point in their career. I see that more as taking advantage of what is provided by the game.

they are only considered cheats if you think they are cheaty. but they do come with the game so technically not cheating
    Happy Simming!♥
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I mostly don't cheat, because taking away the challenge takes away the fun, for me. However, there are some circumstances in which I will cheat. One example is if I'm playing a sim exploring the WA worlds. There are some of the adventure opportunities I hate and will not do. So instead, I'll unlock the doors to the associated tombs for them with NRaas Debug Enabler, so they can explore them anyway. One example is the Queen Hatshepsut chain in Egypt. I hate the stupid matchmaking part of the opportunity chain, so after the last time I did it, I decided not to ever do it again.
  • KNORearKNORear Posts: 522 Member
    I try not to cheat that often, especially when it comes to the money cheats( besides the one’s your Sim earns through LTR such as inheritance and the dusty lamp). There is one I abuse a lot though and that’s the add a sim to the household cheat through master controller, especially since I have story progression and favor Legacy challenges .
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Since I don't consider the way I play cheating, I don't cheat at all ;)
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    Since I don't consider the way I play cheating, I don't cheat at all ;)

:lol:

I regularly play without cheats, but for my machinima I turn on ALL the cheats! Can't worry about needs or money when you're trying to film.
  • gerefteastgerefteast Posts: 353 Member
    I rarely use money cheats, actually only when I'm building a house for my sims. But if testingcheats didn't exist, my sims would be dead in several sim days :lol: Of course I let their motives to be low, so all my sims have to sleep, eat, use the toilet, etc, but sometimes in the middle of the night they get very hungry and I just HAVE to rise the motive a bit so that they can wait until the morning. I know, I'm terrible when it comes to management :lol:
    understand the significance of the signatures
  • Maniac4uManiac4u Posts: 51 Member
    > @Missa_Sissa said:
    > In the 8 years playing sims, I have tried playing without cheats once, before my game glitched and I had to start over. I am playing without cheats again, and I cannot tell you how exciting it is! I went from having a sleeping bag to actually being able to buy a bed, a big, clunky computer to a sleek and newer one. Even the simple decorations that I buy when my sim can afford them are a little victory for me. It seems I'm going out more too, to the library and grocery store rather than having all my accommodations at home where I never have to leave because I'm rich.
    >
    > It's so much more fun playing without cheats! How many of you play cheat free?

The only time I've played without cheats is when I started my legacy family challenge. Like you have said, it was the small victories of slowly upgrading furnishings that made the game a whole lot more fun and exciting and I found myself playing for hours and I also went out more to do stuff. Now when I create other families I try to use kaching only just as a boost so I can maintain the fun element of working and saving to upgrade.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited March 2018
    Ohh, you mean money cheats. I don't use money cheats. In fact, I've modded my game to make bills even harder and allow my sims to take out loans if need be. Money in this game is much too easy. Kills all the fun for me personally. Other families I am not controlling however I may use freerealestate on for them.

But I use other cheats like testingcheatsenabled true, buydebug, moveobjects on, etc... It's important to play the game the way you want to. As long as you're enjoying yourself, don't feel obligated to control how you use cheats.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • asadlittlepotatoasadlittlepotato Posts: 23 Member
    The only cheats I still use are ones that has to do with changing a sim's appearance. gameplay cheats really just get in the way of my enjoying the game. I mean, there isn't much challenge to the game to start with. If I just give my sims infinite money and such, then what else is there left to do? (That is, unless I'm just acting out a story for fun and the plot calls for certain conditions that would just be too tedious to create without cheats)
  • DinoJrDinoJr Posts: 89 Member
    I think the only thing I use that may be considered cheats are the console commands that get sims unstuck, or removing chimneys from fireplaces!!
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    I don't give them money cheats...like motherlode, or TCE>familyfunds. I just go TCE on>buy debug>lay down three tiberium spawners.

Watcher to Sim: There ya go...I may have given you something, but you're gonna have to work for it. That means crawling out of bed and going collecting for it. Then making sure that you don't keep it in your pocket long enough that you end up with visceroidal nausea and upchuck your guts out.

Invariably the sim forgets that it's in his/her inventory and then ends up making a mad dash for the washroom to power-heave into the "Bargain John."

https://youtu.be/UH01FhqMdc8

Screenshot-29.jpg

Screenshot-86.jpg
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I only use the cheat codes if necessary to fix motives that don't match the time of day when switching families or to build and my game is so heavily Modded I don;t need to cheat often for gameplay since Mods fix most issues and I can make money easier or harder depending on if there's a depression.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I use the game codes when I want. I haven't used money cheats because it's too easy to make money- since the base game. They don't even have to have a fridge or bed because they can sleep almost anywhere. :lol:

But, I still use "cheats" if I want because I don't consider myself a cheat when I'm having fun in this game.- there is no line to cross... nor restrictions unless I'm playing by rules of a challenge. :lol:

• ElanoreAlexandriaElanoreAlexandria Posts: 66 Member
    I use cheats is certain situations. I use money cheats to take away money if I feel like my sims have too much. I also use cheats like moveobjects when placing decoration objects. I also drag hunger up in the very specific circumstance of a vampire sim eating plasma cobbler because for some reason that action doesn't satiate and I think it should. Sometimes if a townie is bothering me, I'll reset them.

I try not to stress about cheats too much because sometimes using them can fix a problem (like the plasma cobbler one). Besides those instances though, I try not to use them too much because as many have said, it can make the game boring. I guess it's all about finding the right balance.