Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you do with your elders?

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Business as usual - age is just a number
    I picked business as usual because I don't really change anything about their lives after they age up, but several of the other options apply to my games as well. Cooks and gardeners keep doing their thing, mostly because I don't want to go through training the next generation until I don't have any other choice. (Also, if my cook is a Five-Star Chef, I can buy the Food Replicator LTW and never need to make anyone cook again.) Sims (especially ambitious ones) with careers that I like never retire, and since the hours are usually pretty relaxed they still have time to do other stuff. Almost all of them have a hobby, and why should a brilliant painter or sculptor slow down just because of age? (or a fisherman catching 20+ deathfish a day, for that matter) So they're still contributing to the household funds, and enjoying themselves immensely at the same time. And I definitely don't feel guilty about having a family-oriented grandmother play with the toddlers, or even teach them life skills. With the tickling interaction, she'll max out her fun meter before the kid does.

By the way, for anyone who hasn't seen it, look what happens to the listed values of the sculptures on your lot when your sculptor dies. It works even if he/she uses a death flower and lives on.
  • LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    Make their last days as happy as possible (e.g. granting most wishes, letting them do things they enjoy, etc.)
    It's a bit of a combination between running the household (babysitting, cooking, ...) and having fun with their hobbies. I consider taking care of the grandkids as fun though, my grandparents used to love it so I imagine the sim-granny's enjoy it as well. They deserve the good life after all the hard work they had to do during adulthood :smiley:
  • GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    Move them out (on their own, with other elders or other family members)
    I usually move them out so story progression can work it's magic. They end up doing things I wouldn't consider them doing in my control. I also like the idea of sending kids over to grandma and grandpa's house for a weekend, or having them over for holidays.

Sometimes if the family has room I'll move a widowed parent back in.
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Make their last days as happy as possible (e.g. granting most wishes, letting them do things they enjoy, etc.)
    @bekkasan I should probably have had a "Depends on save" option. Although I don't change my play style much from save to save, I don't always do exactly the same thing with my sims.
    I know that you don't like your sims to die and about your "nursing home" (library) idea. I'm with you on wanting no sadness and, if I didn't think death wasn't the end, I would probably not let my sims die either. By the time my elders die, the kids all have the Stone Hearted LTR and I always keep the remains on the lot so the dear departed can visited whenever they want.
    As you know, I don't have Supernatural installed yet but when I have played vampires, I actually get frustrated that I am stuck with the same sims for so long as there's always one (or more) of the kids I would like to focus on instead.

@CravenLestat I bet that would be a fun save to play! Sunnyvale Rest Home looks great! I will watch "Kick the Can" later when I have some free time. Thanks :)
    I think I remember you telling me that Silvia Monty looks good aged down :)

@phoebebebe13 I imagine you are not the only simmer who has not aged their sims to elder. It's not something I can imagine, but the beauty of this game is that we can play how we like :)

@Sillyhartluv I am with you there! I also like to give them what they want because I know they are on limited time. I remember years ago I had an artistic sim who died while painting. For some reason I never scrapped his painting and I was thrilled when he visited as a ghost and finished it. Unfortunately, he sold the painting as soon as he finished as I would have loved to have it as a keepsake.
    Ashleigh looks great as an elder :) My latest elders both got the dreaded pigtails too :#

@TreyNutz Wow! That was one accomplished sim! I assume he got his degrees at university and therefore got extra time because of not aging while there, but still WOW! I don't think that's for me because I don't like my sims working too hard but good job! :)

@Avatarit I have never tried rotational play. I worry that I would not get attached to my families if I didn't stay with them. It's good to read the different ways people play :)

@puzzleaddict It's true that elders generally have skills that add a lot to the family's way of life. Mine also do a lot of fishing, painting, etc. but only when they wish it. I am all about the wishes. My family oriented grandparents usually play with the grandchildren on their own. I will direct them to help out when things are really busy but mostly I prefer the parents to do the toddler training.
    Interesting observation on the value of sculptures. Thanks for sharing :)

@LiesSim It's true that many grandparents like taking care of the grandchildren but there are also others who find it an imposition. I am not a grandmother yet but I imagine I would be one who would want to care for them :)

@Goulsquash I once moved the elder parents next door just to see what would happen. They seemed to have a wonderful time courtesy of SP but I didn't really like it because I didn't feel like part of their lives. I ended up moving them back in before they died.

• ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    edited February 2018
    Other (please specify below)
    Like bekkasan, it depends on the game and the sim. Aging is always off in my games so sometimes they stick around and help with the kids, sometimes I've had them teach at the school, or just work on the hobbies they enjoy.

[EA_Lanna: discussion of moderation removed. Please review the forum rules]
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
    edited February 2018
    @ZeeGee I will sometimes turn aging off for a few sim days when I start a save so my YA sims can get a start on their skills because I figure they couldn't have reached that age without any skills but I haven't played with aging fully off because I love seeing the changes in the population over the course of my save. I love reading the popups telling me who's hooking up with who and when they have kids, etc.

• ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    edited February 2018
    @Mikezumi You must play with story progression on? So do you let them go ahead and die? I did play a legacy to generation 6 a couple years back with aging on and story progression, just couldn't handle the 'dying.' :tongue:

@ZeeGee I don't use EA SP. I remember what a fail that was! With Nraas SP and a few other of the Nraas mods, I feel like I am in control even though I will never switch households. I do let my sims die but always keep their headstones on the lot so they can visit. I love it when they visit and will sometimes wake the family to interact with them.
  • MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    @CravenLestat Kick the can is one of my FAVORITE TZ episodes. It's so cute (and a little sad). I even like the movie version of it.

For me, it depends on the game I'm saving. If I need my SIM to hit their LTW and they haven't done it yet, I have them work toward that.

The most recent save I played, Johnny did most of the care-taking for the kids. His wife was home as well and she did a lot of work (she has the Family Oriented trait). Johnny did a lot of the talking and encouraging the kids. He managed to write 2 books before he passed away. He joined my SIM family too late for me to get him the "rock star" but since he wasn't the founder, I didn't stress out about it.

I like them to reach their potential by the time they are elder so then they can chill out and enjoy life. Especially if they have a lot of grandkids.
    <insert inspiring comment here> :)
  • dogdancerdogdancer Posts: 447 Member
    I usually keep the life span on "epic", and when my sims get old I usually delete the game and start a new one.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Business as usual - age is just a number
    I very much like the idea of elders remaining part of the household. Usually it's their house anyway so apart from the eldest child and their partner, all the other children are encouraged to leave once they are YA and have finished university. I find elders who have retired are like a spare part hanging round the house so generally I encourage them to carry on working. This helps maintain the household funds and when the grandchildren come along there are extra pairs of hands to help teach and look after the babies. You never know when those twins or triplets are going to turn up :)

I will say most of my elders seem happy enough with these arrangements. Being at the top of their careers and having completed LTW they do have some spare time. Baby tends to become an author in her old age and Christopher the last time he reached old age took up painting. When the time comes they are truly mourned as you would expect from someone who is an integral part of the family. That's how it should be in real life.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I play generational, so I move out with the new heir as soon as they become a YA and the previous heir is an adult or elder. They will stay in their own house, the new heir gets a new one. Sometimes the elders will play an active part in the life of the new heir, sometimes not. My current sim has more contact with her greatgranddad for instance than with her grandparents and parents, because he was an adventurer when he was young, like her, and lived in China for a while. He adviced her to pick up martial art and also practises with her.

KFP1As2.png

aKZolGI.png

So, it depends.

5JZ57S6.png
    @MamaSimTee I can see how Johnny's case would be different because he was already older when he became a father. I am a late-life mother and know that means I can't put my feet up for years yet ;)

@dogdancer That's one way to deal with elders ;)

@Bettyboop55 I also keep the heir and spouse in the house and send away spares. Mine don't go to university first, though. Your elders sound well loved :)

@JoAnne65 I've never thought to start fresh with an heir in a new house! I might try it one day although I would feel guilty about leaving the elders behind but trying new things can be fun :)
    Once kids come I have trouble keeping up with family members who have moved out so I would have to make a real effort to keep in touch with the elder parents.
    Great pics! He's a fit looking great granddad! :)
    I decided to send my recent pair of elders to university. This is a first for me :) Jordan and John got full scholarships.
    38538668610_1fbdfa87c5_o.jpg
    40302999912_eb60e55e6c_o.jpg
    38538660760_5058f88075_o.jpg
    The university sims are not nice like my townies! Both my boys were upset at the same time :#
    39637072224_0fd0fcc4a4_o.jpg
    Not all their encounters went badly :)
    40302970102_84b896165e_o.jpg
    When next I play they will have their first classes.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Let them pursue their interests (e.g. painting, music, writing, bar-hopping, etc.)
    I don't need to move my elders out, because I move their offspring out as they age up. If I grow attached to one of them, I'll play them as a separate save. I prefer to stick with my starter sim or couple through their entire life, then move on to a new save. Sometimes, though, I will quit once one of the spouses die, because it feels too lonely playing only one of them, when so much of their life has been centered on them as a couple.
    @IreneSwift Do you not keep any of the kids at home to take over? I imagine it would feel lonely if you only play the couple and one dies. Thanks for sharing :)
    Let them pursue their interests (e.g. painting, music, writing, bar-hopping, etc.)
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @IreneSwift Do you not keep any of the kids at home to take over? I imagine it would feel lonely if you only play the couple and one dies. Thanks for sharing :)

No, I don't. As I mentioned, if I become attached to one of the offspring and want to play them through the rest of their life, I move them out and save twice, one with the original household remaining active, and the other with the younger sim's household active. I play on low free will, and I don't like large households.
    @IreneSwift When you make a new save to play with the younger sim do you leave the parents in town?
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @IreneSwift When you make a new save to play with the younger sim do you leave the parents in town?

Yes, I do, and the younger sim also remains in the patents' save. So they can visit each other in both saves.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    edited February 2018
    I plead the Fifth. >:)

From my old Legacy...(the first iteration)

Screenshot-10.jpg

Screenshot-23.jpg

Screenshot-26.jpg

~whistle~ I didn't do anything.... :neutral::innocent:

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    edited February 2018
    @Nikkei_Simmer I thought about adding kill/torture to the options but didn't want to encourage people to come out with their tales of elder abuse ;) Besides, I figured Other would cover it :p
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I haven't had any sims get to that stage yet though I would plan on them doing whatever they needed to do like helping out grown kids with the children wheil they worked or any other option depending on the town.I would let them have a death epidemic if there were too many of them compared to other age groups or if they were causing a population overload.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Use them as live-in help - babysitting, cooking, gardening, etc.
    I use them to babysit in a way. Now it may sound worse than it really is. Lol what I see it as is them sharing their knowledge to the grandkids and since I'm a big family player letting them be close to their grandkids so they will still live a happy life but they will also be there with wisdom for the younger generation. At least in my story lines.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
    @TadOlson I must remind my SS not to visit your worlds! ;) Thanks for sharing :)

@MzPigglyPooh I also like my elders to spend a lot of time with the children because I am all about family. I just don't expect them to give up their lives caring for the kids. They already raised the first batch, now it's time for them to put their feet up :) My elders can often be found tutoring the grandkids when they are left to free will and they often roll wishes to play catch with or hug them :) My favourite interaction is the cheek pinch :)
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    I had to vote Other only because there wasn't an "All of the Above" choice. But I loved seeing my Uni idea represented among the choices and that players are trying it. ;)

I plead the Fifth. >:)
    It's kind of funny when Canadians try to do that. Do you know what your own fifth amendment actually says? Not the counterpart to ours, I mean the fifth one that actually got enacted. >:)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net