Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Salvadorada map!

Comments

• Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited February 2018
    Quote content removed - EA_Mage

Oh, I don't know about that. :) I'm still not sold on SPs and I don't think that they can compare on any level to a pack like, say, Vampires, or Parenthood. They're just not in the same league to me. However, I absolutely am on board with larger budgets for GPs and EPs.

Note: One of these days I may get the quoting thing right on the first try. :/ ::sigh::

This is something that I would say for the people that argue it isn't important, they've probably never had a game that did it.

Yes.

This is something that has bothered me about this game for the longest time. The world maps make no sense and most of it is fiction. I'm pleased to see that the JA team took the criticism about that to heart.

It was mentioned on the live stream that many people were afraid that the world would be mostly set dressing. I was certainly one of them. I looked at that grand vista from the top of the mountain in the teaser trailer and all I could say was: "Pffffft, just like the view from the bluffs in WB or from one of the buildings in CL -- all smoke and mirrors. What a wonderful surprise to find out that, in this case, we can go to the places that we see.

I know that some of us are not as enthusiastic about TS4 as others. We get called Negative Nancys and get no end of shade. However, if it weren't for criticism, there would be no improvement. Just sayin'. I'm glad that the GP team seems to be not only listening, but they are internalizing legitimate criticism and trying to make things better. That is the mark of a team that cares. If the company gets behind them, gives them what they need, TS4 could eventually become something wonderful.

Post edited by EA_Mage on
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @DeservedCriticism Sims 2 did it too. I really hope this means they realize actual maps are important.

For me it's also a sign the devs care. Even if someone didn't appreciate it as a feature directly, I'd argue such a feature is a good tell-tale sign the devs are doing their best to create a quality product. Using Dark Souls as an example again, part of the reason it's considered an iconic game is because every setpiece, every item, every piece of scenery and every bit of the world had a story or contributed to a story. It's a game where it's fascinating to explore because some random stone pillar you found in some ruins might have profound implications for the lore of the world. Such a story is not created by people that just want to develop a game and get money, but by those with the passion to coordinate such a story.

I look at the world and think "the GP team still cares." I know people will disagree and won't like me saying it, but....I wish someone could take some screenshots, but I remember being absolutely shocked at how bad the biggest mansion in Brindleton Bay is. It has no decorations, it has loads of empty space, and it just feels like they honestly didn't care or built it in the last three minutes of development. It is the absolute bare minimum in terms of effort and is honestly downright ugly with how empty or bland it was. Compare it to Vlad's house in Vampires and I think it's no contest. I look at that mansion in Brindleton Bay and it just leads me to believe the EP team honestly just doesn't care, and sure enough I hold out zero hopes for ever seeing an EP I like. With GPs though...? Here I am. I still don't know if I'll buy it, but considering I'm currently distracted playing another great game and I still bother to keep tabs on what the GP team is doing...? Yeah, as I was saying: people notice the difference between passion projects and things just made for money or because it's expected of you, and they're absolutely more likely to buy the passion projects.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    @DeservedCriticism in regards to the environment of BB and Vampires, it may be the same team who does both.

If I recall correctly, in the stream they referred to the team who created the world as the “environment” team. Not sure if there’s an environment team for each pack or one team that does all worlds for all packs. Further, Windenburg lots and CL apartments are better furnished than those of BB, so not really sure what happened there. If anything it points to time constraints.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I think there are people they use to build houses for worlds. I have always seen those houses as a starting point and used them to create my ideal house.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited February 2018
    Quote content removed - EA_Mage

That is definitely also true, yes, and certainly part of the "problem". Like I said, I enjoy the EPs a lot, it's not really a criticism on the packs as such, just a little unease about the way they're announced/explained to us. There just tends to be more scarcity of information in between official EP live streams. Although it's also true that SGNinja's personality meshes rather well with the community, so perhaps he does feel more comfortable coming here & talking to people, I really dunno. But you're right, there's definitely two (mutually reinforcing) sides to this story :)
    On topic, I am completely in love with the jungle map. The aesthetic is deeply pleasing and the new mechanics of uncovering unknown areas and having a prominent variety of terrain levels is something I never expected but I'm really excited to explore. <3

The aesthetic of the map is indeed amazing! The way they've implemented movement & restriction here feels very very fun. Just can't wait to go explore :D

Also, anyone else have the feeling that they've used some textures (/inspiration) from C&D (like on the bridges, for example)? Kinda reminds me of that! I also love the wooden structures in C&D, they look better than other wooden textures we'd seen before in TS4, like this here f.ex.:

C&D
    31dKtO1.png

Jungle Adventure
    qYjeT00.png

Post edited by EA_Mage on
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I like the map size. I also really appreciate that they acknowledged the fake backdrop issue.

I'm very curious about the temple though and the question mark areas. I hope there is a lot of game play in there and less of the multiple choice scenarios. They are ok outside in the world but wouldn't want them in the temple.

• Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I like the map size. I also really appreciate that they acknowledged the fake backdrop issue.

I'm very curious about the temple though and the question mark areas. I hope there is a lot of game play in there and less of the multiple choice scenarios. They are ok outside in the world but wouldn't want them in the temple.

I think we won't be disappointed. ;)
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    What is that little table in the second picture? I haven't seen it before, so it must be new, but what does it do?
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    What is that little table in the second picture? I haven't seen it before, so it must be new, but what does it do?

I was wondering the same thing. I don't think it's an archaeology table ... unless there's two of them or something? Maybe someone else knows :)
  • Options
    ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    edited February 2018
    It’s so cool! I wonder what that island at the bottom is, and how do you get to it?

I didn't even notice that before! Now I'm intrigued.

I was already planning to buy this pack, but the live stream really blew me away. For the first time since Cats & Dogs, I'm truly excited!
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    Wow!

Honestly this is shaping up to be my favorite GP :)
  • Options
    ashcrash19 wrote: »
    It’s so cool! I wonder what that island at the bottom is, and how do you get to it?

I didn't even notice that before! Now I'm intrigued.

I was already planning to buy this pack, but the live stream really blew me away. For the first time since Cats & Dogs, I'm truly excited!

There is a pier with boats that I think you can click on and travel to the island. Similar to the lighthouse in BB.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I was honestly surprised how big and open this world is.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I knew it would use districts to make the world bigger.

What I wish is that the teams would upgrade the old maps to be more like this - especially outdoor retreat - but that doesn't just sound like a lot of work but borderline impossible.

I think with the places with question marks, you will need to do some exploring to open them up, then you can go straight to them once you have. Just a guess.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    dsefdsef Posts: 1,219 Member
    It's not that much smaller than willow creek or oasis springs if you think about it, it's also a different layout from what I though it was going to be
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    I love how the waterfalls "set the mood" for romance between Sims! I also love the rainbow effect caused by the falls. It reminds me of my trip I took to Niagara Falls (but in a jungle setting)!
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    Loanet wrote: »

What I wish is that the teams would upgrade the old maps to be more like this - especially outdoor retreat - but that doesn't just sound like a lot of work but borderline impossible.

I think with the places with question marks, you will need to do some exploring to open them up, then you can go straight to them once you have. Just a guess.

The areas with the question marks are the areas that are for exploring. So, if you explore a question marked area one day, the next day when you go back, it will have reset and be a different adventure than the one before, so you shouldn't be able to go straight to them because they are different now.
  • Options
    JaSawaJaSawa Posts: 4 New Member
    The map is beautiful. I wish we could buy vacation homes there or at least could own a restaurant/shop there and in granite falls :(
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I love how the waterfalls "set the mood" for romance between Sims! I also love the rainbow effect caused by the falls. It reminds me of my trip I took to Niagara Falls (but in a jungle setting)!

Yes. I just hope there is an interaction to watch the falls though.
  • Options
    Loanet wrote: »

The areas with the question marks are the areas that are for exploring. So, if you explore a question marked area one day, the next day when you go back, it will have reset and be a different adventure than the one before, so you shouldn't be able to go straight to them because they are different now.

I don't think that will include the Flirty Falls location. I'm hoping it won't relock.
  • Options
    JaSawa wrote: »
    The map is beautiful. I wish we could buy vacation homes there or at least could own a restaurant/shop there and in granite falls :(

You can't own a restaurant there but there is nothing stopping you from putting one there. Restuarents should work in this world. They work in Granite Falls.
  • Options
    JaSawaJaSawa Posts: 4 New Member
    > @catloverplayer said:
    >
    > You can't own a restaurant there but there is nothing stopping you from putting one there. Restuarents should work in this world. They work in Granite Falls.

I know, thanks, I was thinknig about using restaurants or shops as a way to stay permamently in these maps :)
  • Options

In the LS, there was a pier with two small boats with outboard motors on them. I'm betting, you click on one and (like in BB) are transported to that island.

I hope so.

I hope there's something really special on that tiny island that makes the trip worthwhile.

That island is going to be the first thing I check out. Hoping the boats have a Travel to With Interaction. The ones on the lighthouse island in Brendleton Bay don't. Only one sim can travel back.
  • Options
    JaSawa wrote: »
    > @catloverplayer said:
    >
    > You can't own a restaurant there but there is nothing stopping you from putting one there. Restuarents should work in this world. They work in Granite Falls.

I know, thanks, I was thinknig about using restaurants or shops as a way to stay permamently in these maps :)

That's smart actually, I will have to try this :D does this work in Granite Falls?
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    And the fact it appears to be an actual map, which will contribute to its open feel. Backdrops making sense. This may not be important to everyone but it sure is to me. Curious for the temples.

Same here.
    I wasn't really feeling this pack until I saw the map and then they demonstrated how the surrounding areas are visible.
    It's seems much more immersive. I suspect the second live stream will be the one that hooks me.
    I have been all #DramaAndDanger. It looks like we are finally getting some Danger.
    Now where is that Drama pack? :D
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds