Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

negative Traits in game play

Comments

• SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    I have an evil, outgoing sim married to an insane, family oriented sim. Their romance bar is usually high but their friendship bar hovers somewhere in the middle; it's as if they love but are wary of each other because they never know which one is going to go off, hehe. The evil one is has the fabulously wealthy aspiration and is in the investor track of the business career; he also inherited the family home and has this picture perfect family thing going. But he has a brother who basically dropped out to become a street musician, so when they're together they're always arguing about careers or family and so on. It's pretty hilarious. I decided to have the daughter of the evil one run up as many negative character traits as possible so their relationship is volatile, to say the least.
  • SeraphicPinkSeraphicPink Posts: 202 Member
    NathanA wrote: »
    I always make sure to give my Sim two positive/neutral traits and one negative trait, but if my sim is meant to be evil, they'll only have one good trait and two bad traits. I like to use Squeamish, Loner and Hot headed a lot. My current legacy challenge founders spouse has the Squeamish trait. The clumsy trait is funny to watch too. They always break the dishes. ^-^

I forgot about that trait! lmao.
    It's my current favorite, as I'm playing Liberty Lee from the BFF household and she has it by default.

It's a hoot to see her break dishes, and trip over nothing occasionally. :smiley:
    My Simblr: http://seraphicsimblr.tumblr.com/
    Origin: SeraphicPink

• kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    i love clumsy, but like insane, i don't really consider it a 'negative'. some of my favorite sims i've created are clumsy

anyway, on the mean vs evil thing that didn't exactly get brought up this way but almost did...honestly, from my various sims, mean seems to be a worse trait to have than evil. the mean ones seem to aim for the ...well... mean social options more often. most evil sims seem to do a mean interaction or two, get the target into one of the bad moods, then get happy about them being in a bad mood, so they start doing friendly interactions again. which i actually kind of like for some weird reason

also, on that poor, doomed romance mentioned on the previous page...if you work at it, you could actually get that couple to have the rarest of rare relationships, 'enemies with benefits'. max positive romance, max negative friendship. and beyond hilarious to play if you can get it (the easiest way is a 'backfire' for wishing for love at the wishing well, but with talented interaction juggling, it can be made to happen otherwise)
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I usually don't use very many negative traits unless I have no control over what they get as in the Random Legacy challenge. The only ones I do use more frequently are clumsy and insane, those are fun. Having said that, I recently gave a Sim the squeamish trait for the first time. She's also a neat freak.

She and two other Sims are in my Island Challenge save so she is required to reach at least level 4 in fishing. It took forever to get her there because every time she actually caught a fish, she freaked out and got too uncomfortable to do ANYTHING until the buff wore off.

She also gets squeamish when any object is dirty and dirty dishes, from puddles (which even outside she mops up), she hates fertilizing bushes and the fish tank they have. I had to modify the challenge to accomodate her and put the fish tank inside a room she can't access. I also made a room with a fridge and counter blocked off to all Sims until they reach level 10 in a skill. I did that so she could get food without having to fish.

It's a bit cheaty for the challenge, but meh. Luckily, her handiness was almost maxed so it didn't take long until the door for that room was unlocked just for her. The trait can be very annoying used for a Sim in this kind of outdoor challenge, but at the same time, it is hilarious!

One of the other inhabitants of the island has the clumsy and slob traits. His actions are fun too. He always breaks dishes, when he cleans them, IF he bothers to do it. Mostly he just leaves dishes everywhere, which the neat Sim swoops in to clean up so it isn't that bad. He almost always sets himself on fire when lighting the campfire and he farts a lot. lol

The last inhabitant of the island has the glutton trait. I know a lot of Simmers don't like that trait, but I find it hilarious and very helpful in this type of challenge. If she's in dire need of food all she needs to do is rummage in the trash for a meal. And when she eats anything, the faces and sounds she makes crack me up!

The insane trait can be fun too, especially if you have more than one insane Sim in a household, for instance, the Asylum Challenge. I did that challenge and there was one Sim that only wanted to talk to himself and tell chicken jokes ALL DAY! hehe The trait is helpful to keep their social up though. Nobody around to talk to? Just talk to your buddy the lamp, counter, chair, etc. Any object can be their best friend in the world. :)
    ...ugh, you learned about the horrors of that combo the same way i did. i made a neat/squeamish vampire scientist who is also a fishing baron. talk about a horror ride...

also, with the freaking out about catching a fish or a frog or anything else that gives them that 'i'm gonna throw up' moodlet, if you click on them and do the 'take deep breaths' self interaction, the moodlet will drop before they puke. i had to do it about 18 billion times before barnabus maxed fishing...

i mean, i like the trait overall, but pairing it with neat, which seems like a good idea at first...really isn't... and then putting it on someone that's required to fish, yeah, that adds a layer of challenge and pain. the poor sims.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    ...ugh, you learned about the horrors of that combo the same way i did. i made a neat/squeamish vampire scientist who is also a fishing baron. talk about a horror ride...

also, with the freaking out about catching a fish or a frog or anything else that gives them that 'i'm gonna throw up' moodlet, if you click on them and do the 'take deep breaths' self interaction, the moodlet will drop before they puke. i had to do it about 18 billion times before barnabus maxed fishing...

i mean, i like the trait overall, but pairing it with neat, which seems like a good idea at first...really isn't... and then putting it on someone that's required to fish, yeah, that adds a layer of challenge and pain. the poor sims.

Thank you SO much for the tip about what to do for that moodlet! <3 I had no idea it was an option. o.O Not sure if I'll ever try that combo again, but it will come in handy if I do. And you can be darn sure I won't ever give it to a Sim that's required to fish. Nope, nada, no way in H. E. double toothpicks. hehe

• buzz_infamousbuzz_infamous Posts: 814 Member
    i too use a randomizer for sim traits (never use lot traits). once i had a mean guy. he got himself a wife and 2 kids. while his wife was super patient with him (almost never got angry moodlet from interacting with him), his kids usually stomped around the house all angry. that was an interesting experience.
    Origin ID: minimalcanary
    so, i just realized that i might have a story-ish reason to use lot traits in the upcoming pack. might be fun to put a few cursed artifacts into one of the villas and add the cursed lot trait to it. and maybe haunted and/or gremlins. depending
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    edited February 2018
    I just downloaded the a new Goth family and gave him the lazy trait, he leaves his laundry all over the place, and I didn't make her a neat sim. so I'm getting every one to clean up. made the boy with the squeamish trait, interesting when they go on holiday and he has to fish for his supper. and Casandra I gave the hot tempered trait, though so far she's always happy. I can't remember the negative trait I gave Bella. but she is expecting. Mortimer is in the science career.
    Post edited by feetinstockings on
  • ScarletonScarleton Posts: 55 Member
    Oh, yeah, I definitely do! I actually even downloaded many different kinds of negative trait mods--as well as good trait mods, of course. My current sim has the Hot-Headed trait; and since I am doing the asylum challenge, she also has the Insane trait. Her good trait is athletic. Truthfully, these traits don't make the game too hard, it's still pretty easy and even with the inconveniences, it doesn't change much. Like, with the Hot-Headed trait, she gets angry pretty easily, but overriding that moodlet is easy since the points are on the low side (+1). That's why, as suggested by CrownedGD, I've downloaded the Violent Trait which adds more anger moodlets as well as a violent trait. Then there is the Happy Buffs Changed To Fine mod, as suggested by FanPhoria, which changes five happy moodlets into just fine. Insane just give a random animation every once in a while as well as a random moodlet of any of the emotions, nothing big.
  • PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    I'm currently playing a challenge where the gen 6 heir has to have the 'evil' trait and it's definitely having a marked effect on his relationships with his wife and kids (I have autonomy on full) to the point where he has a bad relationship with his kids as he's always yelling at or nagging them, and his relationship with his wife is way in the red (both friendship and love) - she has embarked on an affair with one of his friends and will divorce him as soon as the gen 7 heir ages up to YA >:) What I really wish would happen (and hasn't so far) is that the wife would get a whim to divorce him - instead of which she keeps getting romantic whims for him, which is bugging me as she no longer loves, or even likes, him :s

Autonomy! I think that's a key to having traits on anyway. I think a lot of people turn Autonomy off, or lower it, so of course your sim doesn't have any type of personality when you are micromanaging them.
    Turn autonomy up a bit. Like, all the way. lol. It makes my game interesting anyway.

Absolutely! I always play with autonomy on as I enjoy the randomness of my Sims' actions, particularly when you have a Sim with negative traits - makes for more chaos :p

This! In my current legacy, the Gen 4 sim grew up in San Myshuno but moved to Oasis Springs for a quieter life to start a family. I thought that generation would be the sterotypical family type, but his brother and wife ended up having an affair autonomously. Gave me an interesting turn, because the heir died of anger!
  • BananaSplitBananaSplit Posts: 7 New Member
    I like it, and I am trying to collect all sort of negative traits like mental disorder and other criminal traits, they will live in a prison or survival camp , also will kidnap npc to see how he will survive.
  • garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    Never.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    all the time
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I find that behaviour in this game has a snowball effect. What I mean is you have to push them constantly in the direction you want your sims to take and they finally get it and do it autonomously.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    neat and squeamish - heart breaking to watch :cry:
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • NiyebeBlurrNiyebeBlurr Posts: 93 Member

I havent explored all the "negative" traits yet but so far it's not to bad. My sim is married to an erratic/insane sim and the first time i saw him hiss and talk to his "friend" aka the dining table I thought it was so funny and decided not to give him a different trait cause i wanted to see more. He has mood swings almost every day, for my game the mood swing Angry comes up the most..only had flirty and sad a few times but like others say before it kinda doesn't matter if your sims is well fed and in a nice environment, cause the buffs you know?
    I also like how kinda realistic it is in terms of relationships. When my sims first started dating him he would sometimes be mean to her or cause mischief once in awhile but as the relationship got stronger in both the normal and romance bar he barely does that at all unless the anger mood swing is dominant at the time.

The lazy trait is okay too, i didn't notice much with this trait besides happy moodlets after a nap or sitting on a comfortable chair while watching tv..They also fall asleep when taking a bath sometimes.

My current sim has the jealousy trait which is kinda annoying for me at the moment (lol) but only because she hasn't been able to go to work in the right mood from being tense cause her hubby isnt near or talking to her- It bothers me cause being promoted takes forrrevverrr when shes that way. Before that I had her partner throw her a big wedding at a park and i had the man greet and talk to his female friends he invited and my sim stopped eating and told the girl off which was surprising but i had to stop talking to her after that cause she would've continued and there probably would've been a fight at the wedding. She also got jealous before when he was taking care of their toddler but that only happened once so i wonder if that was a glitch? And another time he had some guy friends come over and they were hanging out at the bar and she went to where they were and was doing the action "be jealous" (i accidently canceled it so i didnt get to see what she was going to do :# )
    tumblr_mt947oTSBg1r3nvfwo1_500.gif
    Origin ID : Amihvn
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I love all "negative" traits for sims and I don't understand people who shy away from them. Isn't your gameplay boring ?
    I'm not sure what qualifies as negative though, lazy definitely isn't in my game, while materialistic is but apparently only for me.
    Jealous/Gloomy/Hot-headed are my favorites and the easiest to play.

Regarding negative traits though: why can't children be clumsy ? What is this travesty EA ? I know it's because you didn't want to make the clumsy animations for children but that was a stupid decision.
    Let children be clumsy !
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I use evil, and hothead pretty often. I like the insane erratic trait also.
    Lol... I love to use neat and squeamish together on a helper sim @ModerateOsprey ... It's usually on one I don't play but just let clean up the house. I found that neat sims will just complain about it but squeamish sims tend to want to get rid of the messes. They just work, work, work.

I do avoid jealous (pain in the butt) and lazy (do you have to walk frickin' everywhere!) they both tend to make me yell at the screen.

I'm about to start playing on and off with a klepto sim and I'm kind of nervous I wasn't thrilled with it last time I played but they have to be a klepto with the backstory.
    egTcBMc.png
  • SomeBratInAMaskSomeBratInAMask Posts: 50 Member
    Back in TS3, I gave negative traits to my sims all the time! I liked to think it made them well-rounded. However, I am still with my starter family on TS4 (I got attached, whoops) and...I am finding it difficult to give my sims flaws. Alice Spencer-Kim, a pre-made sim that I hooked up with my custom sim, originally had the childish trait. Which isn't necessarily a flaw! It was admittedly adorable to find her in Olivia's (new) room, playing with her daughter's toys.

And admittedly annoying when she would put Olivia's toys in her inventory, or be too focused on playing to ever take care of the house. I recently gave in and got rid of her childish trait. Oh, well.

However, I DID give my toddler the clingy trait. So, that counts, right?
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Does anyone play with the negative traits, be it for sims or lots?? and what is your game play like???? does anything interesting happen in your game???? is it more of a challenge ???
    please post pics of things that happen because of the negative traits.
    I don't yet. But I'm seriously thinking of making a couple, one who is a slob, the other with a neat trait, in a house that is grungy with earth quakes.
    please share your experiences in your game play.

I have created a few evil Sims as needed for Scenarios and objectives put them into different areas (near the Goths, Landgraabs or other NPCs to add chaos to the game).
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I am not a big fan of "negative" traits in general but I like using every now and then childish, clumsy, and materialistic and/or snob.

Childish is great when combined with family oriented for sims that have a lot of children.
    Clumsy is fun to watch and I like to give it to future chefs or mixologists >:)
    Snob and/or materialistic are a must for career driven sims, rich families, and some successful artists or critics.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • EpicSimsEpicSims Posts: 397 Member
    Yes I’ve used
    Unflirty, jealous, slob, insane, and evil.

And insane sims.. are really insane.
    They are just... so messed up..
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    I dont give my sims bad traits because I dislike bad people in real life, so why would i want them in my game? But. I might try it. Dont know. I like happiness :D
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm sorry I didn't realise the OP asked for stories or pics and gameplay related things.

I downloaded a lot once after I made the Hi.cks family. This family is based on the Sims 1 family and based I guess on a kind of typical stereotype. They live in a shack. They have three dogs the mother is a washed up, poor ex-beauty queen and her grown son lives with her. They have 3 dogs. Anyway, I remade them in this game and the lot I downloaded came with the traits cursed, gremlins and earthquake zone. Their bad traits that I gave them.. Mom lazy and son Elden slob. They are both materialist also.. which I consider personally to be a "bad" trait.
    Omg.. playing this house with those lot traits was like diving into the the fifth circle of heck. Everything broke, every day. Their moods were bad more often than not and things just did not go well. Also because the three dogs were new and untrained .. it got gross. They got filthy so easily and howled at night ect... and of course had to be trained to "go" outside. I felt the most sorry for Elden because he did the brunt of the bathing and his school work was suffering, and sleep and.. you name it. The mom wasn't working so at least she got sleep. When one of the dogs got sick (they had a woohoo bush outside and they get bit easily around that), I did decide I'd have to change the lot traits to give them a chance at life. I think it took all of two gameplay days to decide to do that lol. I left earthquake zone .. that basically only causes tension that I've seen so far. They are a happier but struggling family now and it's still difficult for me to play them. It's fun when I want the challenge though (in sort bursts).
    ae41nr.png
    This picture doesn't show them struggling... well not exactly. It's also after I changed the lot traits to give them a chance and gave them a better tub ect. It kind of shows how they started off though.. most of the quality of stuff they live with is bad, but they are moving up now.
    egTcBMc.png