Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best friends...glitch?

Two of three teenagers in my current household have a weird issue. They keep getting a wish of being the best friend of each other and some other sims they know, although they're already best friends. Rejection of the wish instead of promising to fulfill it isn't the solution, because it keeps appearing everyday, so I have to keep rejecting it every time it's proposed. The sims perform friendly interactions, talk with each other, but the wish still isn't fulfilled. Even lowering the relationship level by cheats and then increasing it doesn't help. What should I do?
understand the significance of the signatures

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Teenagers have a special status that's called (in English, at least) "Best Friends Forever," or BFFs. My teens constantly roll wishes for this with other teens with whom they already have a maxed out relationship. I almost never do this, but I'm pretty sure that they can "ask to be BFFs" under Friendly. They may have to do a couple of other friendly interactions first.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    Teen sims can only have one Best Friend Forever (BFF) at a time. If they become the BFF of a different sim than before, then they lose that status with their former BFF and might take a relationship loss. My sims also roll the wishes to become BFF with many different sims they know, and all at once. You can't satisfy all of those wishes...well you could try in turns but it would be really difficult. I usually just dismiss all of those wishes or maybe all but one.

Thankfully the whole thing just goes away when the sim ages up to YA and then there are no BFFs. Teens are just...silly sometimes. And fickle. Not to mention prone to waking up with mood swings. ;)

Pets handle this a bit differently. I don't seem to mind as much when they become or want to become BFFs with their favored humans.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • gerefteastgerefteast Posts: 353 Member
    So it's not a glitch. Thank you for the explanation! :smiley:
    understand the significance of the signatures
    igazor wrote: »
    Teen sims can only have one Best Friend Forever (BFF) at a time. If they become the BFF of a different sim than before, then they lose that status with their former BFF and might take a relationship loss. My sims also roll the wishes to become BFF with many different sims they know, and all at once. You can't satisfy all of those wishes...well you could try in turns but it would be really difficult. I usually just dismiss all of those wishes or maybe all but one.

So this is what was going on in high school. I always wondered why the various alliances were flipping week to week, or sometimes even day to day. And I'm pretty sure a few of my classmates did in fact satisfy this wish with all of their friends, in sequence, leading to much more drama than even TS3 could simulate. This is exactly why I decided to be good at school instead of relationships.
    Thankfully the whole thing just goes away when the sim ages up to YA and then there are no BFFs. Teens are just...silly sometimes. And fickle. Not to mention prone to waking up with mood swings. ;)

@igazor I've always wondered what the notifications about moodiness were for. I remember that they suddenly appeared with one of the patches, but I never saw any affect in-game, so I just assumed that because I didn't have Generations there was some function my game didn't have. Is there anything special that happens when a teen wakes up in a foul mood? Since I bought the EP and will probably install it eventually, I feel like this is something I should know. Hopefully before anyone jacks a ride and leads the police on a high-speed chase that ends with the car barrelling through the front doors of city hall.
    edited February 2018
    @igazor I've always wondered what the notifications about moodiness were for. I remember that they suddenly appeared with one of the patches, but I never saw any affect in-game, so I just assumed that because I didn't have Generations there was some function my game didn't have. Is there anything special that happens when a teen wakes up in a foul mood? Since I bought the EP and will probably install it eventually, I feel like this is something I should know. Hopefully before anyone jacks a ride and leads the police on a high-speed chase that ends with the car barrelling through the front doors of city hall.
    What often although not always happens is that after around two sim minutes, igazor sighs, reaches for the mouse, and ctrl-clicks the moodlet away (testingcheatsenabled, can also be done with MasterController).

When a teen is on a mood swing and has the moodlet, there will be limits placed on Friendly and Romantic actions with various sims that were not there before, they won't want to do chores around the house, they will draw wishes with hefty LTR bonuses over the usual amounts attached to argue with and be mean to others, snub their peers thus preventing them from communicating back ("talk to the hand") and leading to what can indeed be cliques at school, set booby traps, end long lasting friendships (even with parents and siblings) and break up with steadies because "it's just not working out" even though nothing of the kind could be the truth, cut school, prank the school and neighbors' houses, stay out after curfew, all kinds of weird things that may seem out of character. Some of them of course may be totally in character, as it depends on the teen in question. The wishes that show up as a result of a mood swing will be purple colored so we can tell them apart from more ordinary wishes and even if promised I believe that they automatically expire when the mood swing is over. Without cheating, the moodlet lasts I think 18-24 sim hours, might be a bit off on that, then "everyone in the household heaves a sigh of relief" as the teen returns to their normal selves.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    What often although not always happens is that after around two sim minutes, igazor sighs, reaches for the mouse, and ctrl-clicks the moodlet away (testingcheatsenabled, can also be done with MasterController).
    So now my mom wants to know where testingcheatsenabled was when I was in high school. If she could have crtl-clicked on me back then, her life would have been so much easier. Of course, she would have had to do it three or four times a day, and if I'd ever found out... actually, I think some days the risk would have been more than worth it to her.

Suddenly I'm reconsidering my habit of making big families with lots of kids. I think usually when I play with 14-day teens, I get about two per morning who wake up feeling rebellious or whatever. Just imagine if they started working together. Maybe when I start playing Generations, I'll just have a long line of only children, or else send them all off to boarding school and wash my hands of them. (Not a bad idea IRL, either. I guess if you have the money, why not pay someone else to deal with your unbearable little ***** for you?) Would the game let my sims adopt a young adult? That might be the way to go.
    edited February 2018
    Would the game let my sims adopt a young adult? That might be the way to go.
    This sounds like one of those games on the Off Topic message board.

The answer is yes. But in exchange, no one bothered to teach these YAs how to walk, talk, or go to the potty when they were toddlers or how to drive when they were teens and they are still not able to do those things for themselves today, so they are quite a handful to take care of.

We all experienced our rebellious years while growing up. I understand the game (with Generations) is trying to be representative of that, but it should come as no surprise that it gets carried away in many cases, doesn't go quite far enough in others. Somehow a parent yelling, "You better stop doing that or I shall have to scold you again!" doesn't seem very threatening to me; then when they get grounded and can't go to school (unsupervised/unchaperoned), it goes too far in the other direction. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!