Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do I play in a different city or place Sims 3

JoeHumanJoeHuman Posts: 32 Member
Hi there

So when I got my game this Christmas I had NO idea how to play AT ALL. I only knew of the Sims, have read hilarious stories about things they do and have always wanted to play for as long as the game has existed.

I was so excited to play that I decided my first Sim would be like a test Sim: One that I don't care about or where it lives or anything.
I saw that I could choose where it could live and there were some AMAZING choices! What looked like a Festival, Spain, The Maldives, Egypt... I figured since it was my test sim I would choose Apaloosa Plains. I thought that when this Sim died I could just choose a new destination.

Well now all the other options have disappeared and I don't know how to move to one of those places and I don't even know how to get them back.

IS there a way to get to live in these places!? Was starting the game my only chance at choosing where to live forever?!

I am playing Sims 3 with 3 expansion packs: Generations, Seasons and Pets.

Hope this is enough info!

Here is a TL/DR:

Bought Sims, picked a place to live I thought I could change, I dont like it and want to move to a beach resort but the option seems gone. What do?

Comments

• Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited February 2018
    You can start a new game any time you want—whichever town you pick will be fresh and unmodified, even if you pick the same one in which you've already played. When you go to the Main Menu, there should be a button that says "new game," and when you click on it, the various towns you have installed will come up, just as they did when you started your initial save. Be sure to quit your existing neighborhood all the way to the desktop, delete the 5 cache files from your Documents folder, and then reload TS3 to start a new game, otherwise you can get cross contamination of data from the previous save to your new one. And in case you're wondering, all of your saves will be available to you unless you delete them manually.

If you want your existing sim or family to move to a new town, load the game, click on your sim, and select "real estate and travel services." The option to move will come up, and you can select "within this neighborhood" (if you just want a different house in your town) and "to new town." I think you need a certain amount of money to move to a different neighborhood, but I don't know for sure as I've never done that; you definitely can't move to a new town when a sim in your household is pregnant and showing, at least without mods.

Speaking of mods, if you're interested in keeping your game running as smoothly as possible, the nraas people can give you advice on which ones will help you. They're easy to use and do a great job of cleaning up corruption, making your saves last longer and run much more smoothly. Especially with Seasons and Pets, your computer may need some help to manage the game's demands.
  • Options
    @puzzleaddict Thank you! I will give that a try!!
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited February 2018
    @JoeHuman If you want to move your current household to another world. I suggest going into edit town , evicting your current household and saving them to library . You can also do that with the house separately. You can then start a new town , place the house you saved in library and then place your family in the house. This is the better way

If you use the real estate option to move your family to another world and especially with the house you may run into game issues. I have lost sims in the past using this real estate option with no way to get them back. Traveling in this game can sometimes corrupt your saves. My instructions to save your family to library first is the better option. They will keep all their money, inventory and their current jobs when you place them in a different world.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    A few things to add to all of the above excellent advice, if I may.

First, the Move to New World function by phone/computer came about as a result of the release of the Island Paradise EP, and the patch that came out with it. As far as TS3 goes, it was a feature that was added towards the end of its development cycle and yes, it is not exactly free of bugs. But even when working as intended, it's not really any different from saving your household to the bin as seen within Edit Town and placing them into a new game yourself from there. All of the relationships and history in your current world will be lost when "moving" this way, using either EA's phone method or the bin to pass them through, and the phone method is really just a shortcut for starting the game over.

If and when you are ready to explore the usage of mods, the NRaas Traveler mod allows you to move your sims (by phone/computer) to a new world while keeping the original one still in play. Only one world can be actively played at a time, but with the mod in play we can travel sims across the two (or more) worlds, move our sims or others back and forth between them, go back for visits, etc. and the relationships and history are preserved within the same ongoing game. Just something to keep in mind for future use, perhaps.

Finally, will also add that what you have described is almost exactly how I started playing TS3 over six years ago now. I created a sim, placed him into Sunset Valley as it so happened, and figured this would be a test game and it didn't really matter what was going to happen as I learned how to play. That was several generations ago and I'm still playing that first "test" game today, my first sim became the great great etc. grandaddy of all the others. That's pretty unusual, I know that most players do feel the need to start things over once in a while even if they like and want to keep playing with the same sims or copies of them, but it just kind of all worked out that way for me over the years. With the help of tons of mods to keep the game moving forward smoothly enough and the Traveler mod as mentioned to eventually connect sixteen worlds together within the same ongoing game. :)

Ah, one more really final thing. With the EPs you have in play, the only worlds you would have to choose from to start new games or "move" sims to would be Sunset Valley (base game) and Appaloosa (Pets). Generations and Seasons did not come with new worlds to play. Many of the other EPs did (Ambitions = Twinbrook; Late Nite = Bridgeport; Showtime = Starlight Shores; etc.). But there are also 11 EA worlds available for purchase from the TS3 store that work with any EPs. Riverview in particular is free from the store for anyone whose base game is registered and is one of my favorites. Some of the others include added premium content or the offer to purchase some. For example, Dragon Valley is more of a theme world that is fun, it comes with baby dragons, and its optional accompanying Duke of Bows Renaissance Faire set comes with playable violins and archery.

And in addition to those, there are TONS of custom made player designed worlds available for download from many sources that might, at some point, be worth at least taking a look at.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    @JoeHuman If you want to move your current household to another world. I suggest going into edit town , evicting your current household and saving them to library . You can also do that with the house separately. You can then start a new town , place the house you saved in library and then place your family in the house. This is the better way

If you use the real estate option to move your family to another world and especially with the house you may run into game issues. I have lost sims in the past using this real estate option with no way to get them back. Traveling in this game can sometimes corrupt your saves. My instructions to save your family to library first is the better option. They will keep all their money, inventory and their current jobs when you place them in a different world.

OMG! I can save the house too?! Because I bought a dream home and it's MASSIVE and I decorated it so beautifully I want to live in it myself. I have grown very attached to it.

Phoebebebe how do I access the library and move them? I am a SUPER newbie here.

Thank you!!
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    JoeHuman wrote: »

OMG! I can save the house too?! Because I bought a dream home and it's MASSIVE and I decorated it so beautifully I want to live in it myself. I have grown very attached to it.

Phoebebebe how do I access the library and move them? I am a SUPER newbie here.

Thank you!!

If you have a massive home, I would save that separately from your sims in library. I tried to move with a massive house by way of real estate , I lost my sims, and the house because the game could not handle moving all of my inventory though the real estate move system

I build houses. When I do I always start a new game just for building only. I build what I need to, save the build to library so I always have the house. I don't build the house all at once and save the house each time i add more. I delete the older versions of the house I don't need anymore. I delete the save when I'm done. Then I add the houses I build saved in library to my current game. This also helps not bog down my played game so the save won't be as large.

Go to Edit town. Click on the house , evict your sims. Click on your sims you have evicted and save to library. You can then click on the house and save the house to library separately.

You can now start a new game in any world you want. You place the house that you saved to library and then you caan place your sims you saved to library in the house you placed in the world

Your very welcome.