Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When Do You Think Sims 4 Will End?

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I was thinking about when they would probably announce Sims 5 (or anything as bigger), but that doesn't mean the end of Sims 4 at all. So 2022 is my right vote.

Ending in 2020 means we would get only more 3 EPs and 5 GPs, which barely covers the amount of stuff we're expecting to get back from previous iterations. I still wanna be surprised, have the unprecedented experiences, and I guess having at least until 2022 is required for that.

Sims 2 only had eight expansion packs, so it's not completely unlikely that Sims 4 will only end up having roughly that many in the end. It's also possible that they might release two expansion packs around the same time (like they did with Sims 3: Supernatural and Seasons). If that's the case, then we could end up with about 10 by the time 2020 comes around. Also, let's not forget that game packs and stuff packs exist too. This is the first installment with game packs, so we can't really predict how this will effect the amount of expansion packs.

I'm really trying to give EA the benefit of the doubt, but it's kinda hard to do so when they pull something like they did the other day... but all joking aside, I think we'll see the end of Sims 4 by the time 2020 comes around. My guess is the next expansion packs will probably be Seasons and University. Other than that, I really don't know what else simmers have been demanding that can't simply be game packs or stuff packs. I just hope they DON'T continue the trend of making stuff packs based on expansion packs.
    I believe that was possible because there were two studios working on EP’s back then? So I don’t think that will happen now.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I was thinking about when they would probably announce Sims 5 (or anything as bigger), but that doesn't mean the end of Sims 4 at all. So 2022 is my right vote.

Ending in 2020 means we would get only more 3 EPs and 5 GPs, which barely covers the amount of stuff we're expecting to get back from previous iterations. I still wanna be surprised, have the unprecedented experiences, and I guess having at least until 2022 is required for that.

Sims 2 only had eight expansion packs, so it's not completely unlikely that Sims 4 will only end up having roughly that many in the end. It's also possible that they might release two expansion packs around the same time (like they did with Sims 3: Supernatural and Seasons). If that's the case, then we could end up with about 10 by the time 2020 comes around. Also, let's not forget that game packs and stuff packs exist too. This is the first installment with game packs, so we can't really predict how this will effect the amount of expansion packs.

I'm really trying to give EA the benefit of the doubt, but it's kinda hard to do so when they pull something like they did the other day... but all joking aside, I think we'll see the end of Sims 4 by the time 2020 comes around. My guess is the next expansion packs will probably be Seasons and University. Other than that, I really don't know what else simmers have been demanding that can't simply be game packs or stuff packs. I just hope they DON'T continue the trend of making stuff packs based on expansion packs.
    You aren't giving the company the benefit of the doubt and the SP isn't tied to the EP it is its own SP you aren't required to have Cats & Dogs to play it.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited March 2018

You aren't giving the company the benefit of the doubt and the SP isn't tied to the EP it is its own SP you aren't required to have Cats & Dogs to play it.

I thought you were done arguing with me? lol
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I believe that was possible because there were two studios working on EP’s back then? So I don’t think that will happen now.

That's also a good point... I wasn't thinking of that. Regardless, Seasons and University are the only two major expansion packs I can think of. So I don't really know what else they'll end up doing. Especially when we now have game packs. For example, people say they want witches, fairies, and werewolves back in the game, but they could very well be a game pack (just like Vampires). Other than Seasons and University, there's really nothing else that's major. Which is probably what EA has planned.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

That's also a good point... I wasn't thinking of that. Regardless, Seasons and University are the only two major expansion packs I can think of. So I don't really know what else they'll end up doing. Especially when we now have game packs. For example, people say they want witches, fairies, and werewolves back in the game, but they could very well be a game pack (just like Vampires). Other than Seasons and University, there's really nothing else that's major. Which is probably what EA has planned.
    I definitely think any supernaturals indeed will be GP’s (and Vampires proves that it works). So yeah, could very well be the only EP’s they’re still planning are Seasons and University. Maybe not even University, that could also be a GP...
    5JZ57S6.png
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I went with 2023 - close to double previous versions. I think they've deliberately designed this version to last longer, in how it uses computer resources and in the art style.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited March 2018
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Cheekybits wrote: »
    I don't understand why people assume if sims 5 comes out it will be better. If they use the same game engine it will take just as long for packs if they don't it will take just as long to redo animations. Look how long it took them to do toddlers in sims 4, do we really want to wait again.

They always talk about how Sims 4 required an upgrade to their technology base. I just don’t see it. They can’t accomplish anything on this technology.

I would hope the heads at Maxis would immediately shoot down the idea of reusing the Smart Sim engine. It has been the largest road-block for Sims 4.

The engine actually seems to be the most stable and best engine they’ve ever made.

An engine and game are two very seperate things. They’ve chosen to build The Sims 4 the way it is. The limitations are based on the fact they chose to make them in the first place.

They were able to turn The Sims 2, that already used SimCity 4 as it’s world engine into The Sims 3. However there was no way they could add Open World to the Sims 2. Yet they used The Sims 2 engine for TS3. The engine is just a tool kit to make a game.

The only reason they build new engines is when the old ones can’t make proper use of technology. But look at gaming engines like Unreal. The amount of games using that engine is huge.

Also remember, the Sims 2 engine was also used for The Urbz, The Sims 2 console games and even The Sims 3 for console (also Nintendo 3DS), hence why they’re able to copy and paste animations etc freely.

The Sims 3 for 3DS was basically found to be a reskinned Sims 2.

I know what I’m talking about Jack. Just because the game is stable doesn’t mean it has a good foundation underneath it.

Yes they are able to do some pretty cool things with flexible game engines, but Sims 4 can barely do anything. Do you think they intentionally design the game to be so vastly inferior? No.. that’s a byproduct of their lack of funding and difficult to work with engine. Go do some research and stop spreading misinformation on the forums.

You don’t know what an Engine is?

The Sims 4 engine is a tool kit to make games. You do understand that right? The Sims 4 engine isn’t just The Sims 4 tools devs use.

The reason why The Sims 4 is limited, is because they built a game with limitations.

But they could make a whole new game that looks nothing like The Sims 4, with the Sims 4 engine.

The engine is good, because it doesn’t seem to collapse with a lot of content. But that doesn’t mean they built the best game they could with that engine.

Ever heard of Unity? It’s a gaming engine. Devs use it to make thousands of games.

EA make their own engines with The Sims, and always have done. But the Urbz all the way to The Sims 3, use the same engine which is why they can reuse the animations freely.

A gaming engine is NOT what tools devs make for themselves for the game.
    A gaming engine is what devs use to make the tools to make the game.

Completely different.
    Post edited by jackjack_k on
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I don't understand why people assume if sims 5 comes out it will be better. If they use the same game engine it will take just as long for packs if they don't it will take just as long to redo animations. Look how long it took them to do toddlers in sims 4, do we really want to wait again.

They always talk about how Sims 4 required an upgrade to their technology base. I just don’t see it. They can’t accomplish anything on this technology.

I would hope the heads at Maxis would immediately shoot down the idea of reusing the Smart Sim engine. It has been the largest road-block for Sims 4.

The engine actually seems to be the most stable and best engine they’ve ever made.

An engine and game are two very seperate things. They’ve chosen to build The Sims 4 the way it is. The limitations are based on the fact they chose to make them in the first place.

They were able to turn The Sims 2, that already used SimCity 4 as it’s world engine into The Sims 3. However there was no way they could add Open World to the Sims 2. Yet they used The Sims 2 engine for TS3. The engine is just a tool kit to make a game.

The only reason they build new engines is when the old ones can’t make proper use of technology. But look at gaming engines like Unreal. The amount of games using that engine is huge.

Also remember, the Sims 2 engine was also used for The Urbz, The Sims 2 console games and even The Sims 3 for console (also Nintendo 3DS), hence why they’re able to copy and paste animations etc freely.

I know what I’m talking about Jack. Just because the game is stable doesn’t mean it has a good foundation underneath it.

Yes they are able to do some pretty cool things with flexible game engines, but Sims 4 can barely do anything. Do you think they intentionally design the game to be so vastly inferior? No.. that’s a byproduct of their lack of funding and difficult to work with engine. Go do some research and stop spreading misinformation on the forums.

The Sims 4 engine is a tool kit to make games. You do understand that right? The Sims 4 engine isn’t just The Sims 4 tools devs use.

The reason why The Sims 4 is limited, is because they built a game with limitations.

But they could make a whole new game that looks nothing like The Sims 4, with the Sims 4 engine.

The engine is good, because it doesn’t seem to collapse with a lot of content. But that doesn’t mean they built the best game they could with that engine.

Ever heard of Unity? It’s a gaming engine. Devs use it to make thousands of games.

EA make their own engines with The Sims, and always have done. But the Urbz all the way to The Sims 3, use the same engine which is why they can reuse the animations freely.

Completely different.

The engine is the backbone of the game. It has nothing to do with tools, not sure what you’re talking about. The engine was designed for an online multiplayer game and then reworked into what they delivered for the offline version. It’s flawed, and vastly under developed for the deep immersive gameplay options people are asking for.

The tools they use to make the game are separate from the game engine. I don’t see why you are questioning me about anything when you have just posted a rather useless paragraph with a lot of inaccurate information. Do you know what a game engine is? Clearly you don’t if you are under the impression it’s a set of tools to make the game.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    To understand what a game engine is you should read https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_engine and watch
    https://youtu.be/DKrdLKetBZE
    EA makes a new game engine for each new basegame and then uses this game engine as a framework for all the packs and sidegames too.

The game engine takes care of the graphics and sound and the way the sims move around such that the developers don’t have to rewrite the code for this all the time. All such trivial things are in the game engine such that the developers only have to create code for the new stuff. But to make each new basegame sufficiently different from the previous one the developers create a new game engine every time. EA could have used third party game engines instead of creating their own. But the Sims games are too special and which their huge number of packs it is better to do the extra work by creating the game’s own game engine such that all the packs become much cheaper and faster to create.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I even wonder if they might start up another game while this one is running. Sounds far fetched I know and maybe I'm dreaming but I'd love one that was rated teen and above. Now I'm not talking over the top here before anyone gets their knickers in a bunch .. just a game that they go into knowing they can release it the way they did in the past and even push it a little further since some limits would be lifted. They have to do things now that other countries will okay also ratings wise.. sometimes they say well too bad were gonna do it anyway as in the same sex relationship and marriage stuff and I applaud them for that.. Russia didn't though. Game rating stuff is strict now... and they stay well below what I think many of us want.
    I really would like to see a real fear emotion, a real sadness and even depression emotion in the future.. Stuff that they might feel or I assume they feel is maybe too much for general audiences at this point.
    Anyway I posted this here because in my dreams at least there might be an alternative of a game that runs parallel. I'd be buying two games at once lol. They'd have my money backwards and forwards. Yikes!
    egTcBMc.png
  • RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    If the art style and the fact that it seems to be able to handle more content than Sims 3 did, I think it could last a few more years. It's been out four years this year, and I don't think it feels old yet, not in the same way that I felt with 2 or 3 four years after release.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Beyond 2025
    As long as we're buying, they'll be making. Even if they have to start pretending Game Packs are expansion packs.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I hope 2020. :D
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Casper613Casper613 Posts: 35 Member
    Beyond 2025
    Never... I don't want to spend my money buying the packs again.
    Origin ID: TerminalCas
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2018
    Beyond 2025

Completely different.

The comment about EA makes their own engines and always have isn't true. They bought software an engine for some of the other games in this series. Layman terms, the engine is the world and how it functions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_engine
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited March 2018
    If there is no survey in 2018, that will mean nothing is planned in 2020.

Survey 2014 -> EP01 Get To work and EP02 Get Together (2015)
    Survey 2015 -> EP03 City Living (2016)
    Survey 2016 -> EP04 Cats & Dogs (2017)

Survey 2017 -> University (2018 ???)
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    My guess is 2020 possibly 2021 at the latest. Which is a pretty good run imo.
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    pixiejuice wrote: »
    I think 2020. That leaves 2-3 more major EPs (one per year) plus whatever GPs and SPs they come up with. I don't think many of our computers could support more packs than that anyway.

Yea that sounds about right.
  • SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    I think 2020. I hope as early as possible, because I'm ready for a better base game to be honest. They'll never be able to bring in everything in TS4 what we are asking for in 10 years with how slow everything goes and the weak foundation. But I also want them to take their time with TS5, if that is even going to happen.
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    My prediction/hopes for the rest of Sims 4 are:
    2018: Seasons
    2019: University
    2020: Generations
    2021: The Sims 5?
    If there's no Sims 5 though, it'll probably go on for longer, maybe until 2025.
  • crazycat_135crazycat_135 Posts: 1,349 Member
    I think 2020 or 2021 are pretty safe bets. One of the gurus said that ts4 was at the half way point when C&Ds released, so that's gonna leave around 2 or 3 more expansion. We'll probably get at least double the sps and gps we already have too. I have no idea if we'll get ts5 though. Ts4 is doing pretty good in my opinion, but when the time comes we'll know.
  • mctsimmermctsimmer Posts: 277 Member
    I hope it goes longer but the wait between releases and the lack of content in recent packs compared to past TS games leaves me little hope for the future. I'm getting tired of one EP a year. They take longer to bring reboots that are missing big parts of game play. We are missing too much for it to be a complete game in two years. The focus seems to be on packs that need other packs to play.

Well we could get a decade out of TS4 with this game plan. I don't know whether I will be buying more packs or complete my TS3 and be happy getting off the ferris wheel of spending money.
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    With the layoffs and moving some of the other gurus to the mobile division, I'm thinking early 2019 will be the end of the PC version of the Sims 4. I wouldn't be surprised if more and more of the budget is put into the mobile version instead, which is a pity.
  • cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    I'm saying 2019 although I think it may go into 2020. If there are plans to dissolve Sims 4, then they will probably just finish wrapping up what they have on the shelf and one or two concept designs but no more
  • RnM92RnM92 Posts: 222 Member
    With the layoffs and moving some of the other gurus to the mobile division, I'm thinking early 2019 will be the end of the PC version of the Sims 4. I wouldn't be surprised if more and more of the budget is put into the mobile version instead, which is a pity.

I agree. Even if it carries on longer than 2019, I suspect we will just get SPs and no longer get any gameplay enhancements in the form of GPs or EPs. The fact that they've made many of the people involved with bigger packs and more complex aspects of the game redundant isn't a good sign, and to me that means we won't be getting any more EPs. We might see one more this year maybe but that'll be it.