Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Could not locate this item

I created a household of 6 and saved to the library. Next day the thumbnail for this household is missing and instead I get a blank space with a red X on top. I click on it and a message pops up: "could not locate this item". It won't let me load it to edit in CAS and won't let me delete it, either.

Does anybody know how to at least delete this from the library? :/

Comments

• plus1Diamondplus1Diamond Posts: 25 Member
    This exact same thing has happened to me, as well. Unfortunately, I can't give you a solution as I've tried deleting & reinstalling the application data for the game on my PS4 & neither attempts worked. Is this the first time you've had problems with your library?
    I should add that I did the reinstall twice but accidentally left that detail out & can't edit it in since I'm a new member, but I did that because on the bug listing site there's someone who's been experiencing disappearing saves in the library & an EA tech support person suggested doing that. It worked for that person, but for me & another person that said they tried it didn't work for us. I have X'd out saves that can't be deleted, saves that are glitched out & reappear even after I delete them, & non-corrupted saves that disappear enitrely once I exit the game then come back. It seems like the library just needs a mandatory fix period.
  • JPNekoJPNeko Posts: 296 Member
    This exact same thing has happened to me, as well. Unfortunately, I can't give you a solution as I've tried deleting & reinstalling the application data for the game on my PS4 & neither attempts worked. Is this the first time you've had problems with your library?

This is not the first time. Before the latest patch, I couldn't delete anything from the library. Had to delete all saves and content to start again from scratch. After the patch, I didn't find any issues when deleting households. Now is just this one household that seems to be corrupted and I don't know how to get rid of.

I wonder if this has to do with big households, because it's only happened first with an 8-member family, and now this last one had 6. I have created several families but none of them had more than 5 members, except this 2 households that got corrupted.

@JPNeko said:
    > This is not the first time. Before the latest patch, I couldn't delete anything from the library. Had to delete all saves and content to start again from scratch. After the patch, I didn't find any issues when deleting households. Now is just this one household that seems to be corrupted and I don't know how to get rid of.
    > I wonder if this has to do with big households, because it's only happened first with an 8-member family, and now this last one had 6. I have created several families but none of them had more than 5 members, except this 2 households that got corrupted

For me it began when my game would crash after long sessions of saving lots & households of all sizes (but mostly with 2 or 3 people), as if the cache had exceeded its limit & overwhelmed the game without deleting itself as needed. I would choose 'build' on a lot to view it, or open my library/manage households & that would seem to trigger the crash. One day I'd saved all the existing properties in WC, OS, & NC & some households before the game crashed & corrupted all of them.

What's also strange is that at one point I deleted most of my non-corrupted library saves to see if that would help me to get rid of the corrupted ones. It didn't, so I began resaving what I'd deleted which worked halfway through & then the saves started disappearing upon reloading the game. Forcing my PS4 to delete its cache by turning it off & unplugging it for a few minutes hasn't helped me, either.
    edited January 2018
    I have also been experiencing crashes after doing a lot of building, placing and saving lots; and then I hit the library button. That seems to trigger the crash. Probably that's what is causing the household files to be corrupted. I just find it odd that it's only affected the bigger households. Maybe a coincidence?

I wonder if I should try deleting my content, and not touch the save. I don't want to lose the progress I've made. The only reason I deleted the saves I had before was because I was no longer being awarded any achievements. Started all over and still no achievements, but that is a totally different issue.
    Post edited by JPNeko on
    Yes I have been so tempted to delete the game in its entirety & start over myself. I haven't done very much & wouldn't be losing an awful lot, but I'm quite attached to what I have done. It can just be really frustrating seeing those corrupted saves that shouldn't be there to begin with, & not be able to save new things without them disappearing no matter what you do. Besides, it's likely I could restart only to face the same issue all over again just as you say.

I have since left a bug report & really hope the devs work quickly & effectively on this one. I thought we'd get a patch by now for this month, but hopefully another will come when they release the Romantic Garden DLC in about two weeks. If I somehow find any kind of solution, temporary or otherwise, that may possibly help then I'll definitely share.
  • [quote="JPNeko;d-934066"]I created a household of 6 and saved to the library. Next day the thumbnail for this household is missing and instead I get a blank space with a red X on top. I click on it and a message pops up: "could not locate this item". It won't let me load it to edit in CAS and won't let me delete it, either.

Does anybody know how to at least delete this from the library? :/ [/quote]

This is happening to me too I hope a solution is found soon...
    Yes I have been so tempted to delete the game in its entirety & start over myself. I haven't done very much & wouldn't be losing an awful lot, but I'm quite attached to what I have done. It can just be really frustrating seeing those corrupted saves that shouldn't be there to begin with, & not be able to save new things without them disappearing no matter what you do. Besides, it's likely I could restart only to face the same issue all over again just as you say.

I have since left a bug report & really hope the devs work quickly & effectively on this one. I thought we'd get a patch by now for this month, but hopefully another will come when they release the Romantic Garden DLC in about two weeks. If I somehow find any kind of solution, temporary or otherwise, that may possibly help then I'll definitely share.

It's very frustrating, like you say. Let's hope they'll do something about it when the next patch comes up. If l know of a solution before that, I'll post it on here.
    edited March 2018
    Oh my goodness, this whole time we were out here breaking our libraries because apparently there was a limit of 50 saves & nobody cared to tell us that?? I've just downloaded the latest patch but haven't played to test it yet, hopefully everything is working much better now.
  • floralneyfloralney Posts: 230 Member
    Oh my goodness, this whole time we were out here breaking our libraries because apparently there was a limit of 50 saves & nobody cared to tell us that?? I've just downloaded the latest patch but haven't played to test it yet, hopefully everything is working much better now.

Haha, I so agree.
  • ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    edited March 2018

I know right?! They really should have told us. I had a few households saved to my library that broke and I had to delete them. I guess it was because I had went over 50...
    He/Him
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member

I know right?! They really should have told us. I had a few households saved to my library that broke and I had to delete them. I guess it was because I had went over 50...

We can only upload 50 creations to our own library?
    I am sorry to hear you have had to delete them :(
    This is terrible.
    Only 50
    That's not much at all. Especially if you want to save households to as that number will quickly go up.

I spend a lot of time building my lots . as a lot of us do. I don't want to loose any of them..
    This really is terrible...
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

The thing is, I don't think I was anywhere near 50 creations when the problem started. Never been.
  • ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    marcel21 wrote: »

We can only upload 50 creations to our own library?
    I am sorry to hear you have had to delete them :(
    This is terrible.
    Only 50
    That's not much at all. Especially if you want to save households to as that number will quickly go up.

I spend a lot of time building my lots . as a lot of us do. I don't want to loose any of them..
    This really is terrible...

I think they made it so we can save more than 50 now. Here is a quote from the patch notes:

"My Library felt a little too small with a limit of just 50 items, which feels more like a book shelf than a library. We knocked together some more shelving space from our neighborhood flat pack store and now it truly is a My Library to be proud of!"

Hopefully it is fixed now. :)
    He/Him
    Sim Guru Nick also said that a save's size also influences the number of saves that can be made to the library. According to him, since lot saves are larger in size than household saves, if you have more of those you'll most likely have less total saves in your library. I've since begun playing my game & am pleased to see that those corrupted blue saves are gone & now have an explanation & temporary resolution for the saves deleting themselves. Also the addition of the 'my households' category can help take the place of the library for some households (depending on how you like to play).