Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I Need Advice

ye_boi_tamachanye_boi_tamachan Posts: 45 Member
edited February 2018 in Off Topic Chat
Hello everybody! At school, we're writing speeches which is one of my favorite assignments all year. Last year, I wrote my speech on Phobias and moved on to speech competitions, along with my friend (Let's call her Rose) who was in a different age group than I (we're in the same group now.)Rose made it farther than me and her speech was incredible. Back to this year, I am writing my speech on why we believe in conspiracy theories and I've kinda been unhappy with it all along. When Rose tells me that shes's writing her speech in empowerment in young girls, I automatically feel disheartened. At the beginning, before I wrote my speech, I was thinking of writing it on being a feminist because I wanted the viewers to take away something important from my speech. I kinda want to re-write my speech now to make it better so that I'm better competition for Rose and because of how I'm unhappy with my own speech. However, I don't want to be that kind of person who suddenly drops everything they have and do something similar to the other person (the topics are close). I really want people to walk away impacted by my speech, just like Rose's will do.
Thanks<3

|A fairly interesting human being|
Post edited by ye_boi_tamachan on

Comments

• rosey1579rosey1579 Posts: 6,252 Member
    Well, I’d rather hear a speech about conspiracy theories than empowering young girls. There’s more potential for humour in the former, and the latter topic in my experience is better expressed in actions than words. It gets a crowd riled up, if it’s the right crowd, but it’s not... Useful? At least not in simply speaking. Just think, if you did conspiracy theories you could make a little guide at the end. Teach the audience how to make the world believe their OWN ridiculous theories. Heck, maybe even some young girls in the audience will be inspired and start the next moon landing debate.
  • dopaminedroiddopaminedroid Posts: 169 Member
    I feel like empowerment in young girls is a very important topic, but that also isn't going to be something people haven't heard before. Don't be afraid to do something different. You can probably link "why people believe in conspiracy theories" to various thought-provoking statements about humanity and our psychology and the world we live in. And it will get people's attention.
    -OneGrilledCheese @ the gallery-
  • ye_boi_tamachanye_boi_tamachan Posts: 45 Member
    @dopaminedroid @rosey1579 Thank you both so much!I really needed the advice

|A fairly interesting human being|
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    edited January 2018
    Go with a topic you feel strongly by is my advice. I'd rather you rewrite your speech or tweak in such a way that you will be proud of after doing the speech. That is what I would do if I were you cuz I feel like I'm going regret going with the conspiracy theory speech if doesn't get the kinda of feedback from the audience that I wanted. If you are really unhappy with it, change it now before it's too late.

A speech is not just delivering a topic with words, it's also how you express yourself while speaking. Also, the words and phrases you use in the speech would just be more empowering if it actually comes from the heart and not just by force.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I do agree with what has been said. Female empowerment is a topic that's very important, but it has been done before, and chances are there will be people who already agree with the topic.

I'd say the more interesting speeches have a novel viewpoint. But not just novel for the sake of novelty, else it will fall flat (you have to believe in it too, and not just say it because it's against the grain). A novel viewpoint with a kernel of truth in it, something that people have never thought of, but when they think about it, they know it to be true. It's like bringing something that people subconsciously know to the fore. People will remember it because it's new, but at the same time the message will resonate with them.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?