Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's your experience with buying or selling stuff online?

MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
I've just started decluttering using Marketplace on facebook

And it's bonkers how people want something for nothing. I've got things at reasonable prices, and people are offering half the asking amount!

I've got one item, it's new, still in it's box. To buy another one from a store it would cost $150, I'm asking $120. I don't feel that's an unreasonable price. If someone offered $100, I'd certainly consider it. But so far, most of the offers are $60. :/

There's a couple of items other people have listed, that I'm considering (if their pickup location is easy to get to... I have lost a sale to that.) And I'm happy to pay their asking price.

What's your experience with this sort of thing?
Do most people really want something for nothing?
AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif

Comments

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    So far I've only bought used items from eBay. I look for sellers with excellent reviews and reputation which isn't hard to find depending on what I'm looking for. Haven't been too disappointed all though one retro game came without a code and the other refused to work no matter what operating system. It was a sealed copy too and if I had known, I would have left it that way for display. The one without a code was so old, back in those days, you could share any valid code and others could use it so that wasn't hard to work around.

I helped my niece sell her Wii U last year on Craigslist. No one had a problem with the price but it was hard finding someone willing to do most of the driving to pick it up. Is it crazy to expect someone to pick up the item they're buying? I don't think so. At least meet the person halfway.

People will probably try to lowball you more on sites like Craigslist or FB marketplace because they are looking to get something for next to nothing or free. Most sellers are trying to make a quick buck. It's easier to sway a casual exchange when most people on those sites are trying to clear out stuff from their house or sell things they can't return. I've never used FB marketplace before but I have been looking at furniture there since my couch is a futon and my dining table is a card table. It's crazy seeing some of these things priced so high no different than store prices brand new.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    I'll be honest that I've personally never sold anything online like that. Although back a few years ago (well, nearly a decade ago I guess) my dad attempted to set up an antiques business which was almost entirely online. I live in the UK and at the time we were in a recession so clearly it wasn't great timing anyway, but in that experience (and my personal experience with it would be that I went with him to antique/craft fairs to try and sell stuff) is that yes, people will try and get things as cheap as possible and will complain when they get anything less than free. Seems like some people want you to pay them to take stuff off your hands. I have no idea why that's the case but it seems to be. Even recently, although he's no longer attempting to run a business, we have moved house (downsizing) in the last year so have had some excess furniture to sell off, and there have been some people who aren't happy with it being given away - it's still too much of a hassle for them to pick up the furniture, even if it's free, and they want you to deliver it to their door. For free.

Bear in mind with all that though that I'm naturally a pessimist (as is my dad so I guess neither of our accounts can be fully trusted). But in my opinion/experience, it's not easy and it's not really worth the hassle. But then, I don't know what you're selling, nor do I know where you live and the economic status of your area, and I'm also not familiar with marketplace on facebook (I don't even have a facebook anymore). There's a lot to consider though.

Being bluntly honest though? Being offered 60 dollars for something sold at 150 retail price isn't that bad. I remember going to fairs with my dad in which he'd pay £5 for a table and not even make enough to cover that, despite being there for 6-8 hours. Most boring days of my teen years I swear.
  • KendranaKendrana Posts: 4,066 Member
    edited January 2018
    I've done far more buying online than selling. When I was in college, I sold some of my books on half.com (part of eBay) and didn't run into any trouble, but I've heard that it's not quite as safe now due to scams.

As far as buying goes, I generally avoid sites that aren't well known. My advice would be to research ahead of time before you buy from some site you're not familiar with (if you absolutely insist on doing so). Consumer reviews can be useful to avoid getting yourself into trouble. I've had problems with getting what I paid for in several cases in the past and learned that sometimes it's better to just go to a physical store and pay full price than risk losing your hard-earned money on getting stuff at a discount. That being said, I'll continue to shop online but just continue to be selective of where I shop.
  • vronnie67vronnie67 Posts: 64 Member
    I've been buying lots of things from Ebay for many years. I love Ebay and I'm kind of addicted. I do also have an online store that I have sold many things on- mainly mugs and t shirts. I design them myself. If you'd like to go check them out, go here: https://teespring.com/just-a-gamer-purple?page=2&tsmac=store&tsmic=vronnie67-fan-merch-shop#pid=2&cid=2397&sid=front
    Enjoy.