Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anyone understand the rules of forum cheating?

This is a forum rule:
Cheat. Level up your forum account just like you would level up in one of our games, by participating and not by cheating. Any threads posted to boost points or otherwise influence your forum rank directly will be closed.

I don't get it.

If you have no idea what forum cheating is, then how do you know you are breaking forum rules?

I honestly think some of the forum rules are not totally specific. I'd rather that that rule had specific examples of exactly what forum cheating is.

I mean is this relating to going from New Member to Member, or does it include Members as well? I can remember that new people would often try to get to Member as quickly as possible.

I know we have forum points, but I have no idea how they work. I have 5,735 Points, but I have no idea how I get them or how to manipulate them. So, in a nutshell, I have no idea in advance of whether I would breach a forum rule of Cheating.

I don't monitor my form Points so, I have no realistic idea of what increases them, etc.

I just assume 'influence your forum rank' has to be going from New Member to Member - but it isn't clear.

Comments

• plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    edited January 2018
    I don't particuarly think this one is crystal clear either:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/933535/the-form-rules-about-key-sites-and-suppliers-of-products-and-services-need-clarifying-or-expect-fury#latest
    Advertise. For anything: pay-to-play gaming sites, products or items for sale, referral links or advert links/images in forum signatures, avatar posts, blogs, profiles, you name it! But feel free to link to free gaming fan sites and free-to-enter league sites.

But the thread got edited and locked.
    We can mention a sale on the forums at a particular site, but not post an actual link.

Some people would post a link without even thinking about it. They would know about a sale on Amazon, etc and say "Hey, check this out" and supply the link.

So the point being, I can say mention a Youtube channel like Rachybop (a known Simmer), but not link to her channel - because it is technically advertising?
    Then again, can we even mention Rachybop because she is technically like a vlogger, which is basically a blogger.

Or is it a case that Rachybop cannot come onto the forums and talk about her channel/recommend it?

Advertising is kind of not clear with me.
  • poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    i don't believe linking someone to a product that they are asking for is considered advertising.
    i have seen bots from non sims related companies trying to advertise their services here, i once saw one for a divorce lawyer or something like that.

not advertising:
    person a: can someone help me find x product?
    person b: sure, i found one on x website, here is the link.
    advertising:
    person a: which sims game is your favorite?
    person b: come buy my chicken, here on this website! here is the link! buy my chicken please, it's very cheap!
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

Link to first party sites when you’re helping with tech issues. If someone needs help with their nVidia driver, link to the nVidia website. That way we know we can trust the source of the info.
    I think that this one here should be stickied in the tech forum:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-technical-discussions

The other day, I nearly broke that rule in this thread:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/933052/hide-the-sims-4#latest

I could have linked to particular sites/apps; however, because I didn't know that much about it, I didn't link to anything. However, if I had of linked to something, it wouldn't have been a case of trying to intentionally break forum rules.
    i don't believe linking someone to a product that they are asking for is considered advertising.
    i have seen bots from non sims related companies trying to advertise their services here, i once saw one for a divorce lawyer or something like that.

not advertising:
    person a: can someone help me find x product?
    person b: sure, i found one on x website, here is the link.
    advertising:
    person a: which sims game is your favorite?
    person b: come buy my chicken, here on this website! here is the link! buy my chicken please, it's very cheap!
    Ah, yeh, but I was caught out linking to a key site when people were complaining about the EA price increases. However, I wasn't particuarly advertising the site - it was more a case of, but you can still get this stuff cheaper than on Origin. ie one user created another thread that was mentioning people resorting to piracy as a form of protest; however, you can still buy Sims products on sale prices - so the price increases are kind of not relevant - they are only relevant if you buy on Origin.

The main point being I eventually found out that posting a link to a key site, etc breaches rules, but mentioning the key site, etc is not. My point was not everyone is going to just know that.
    The bottom line is, you can't always predict warnings for breaching forum rules. If you try to establish why you got warned, you can end up with more warnings.

You then end up with a collection of warnings for different things that might mean you are banned/jailed.
  • littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    i promise to write to you while you're in prison, plopppo
    6riwm5.png
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    The main point being I eventually found out that posting a link to a key site, etc breaches rules, but mentioning the key site, etc is not. My point was not everyone is going to just know that.

So are you saying that it cannot be expected of people to read the forum rules?
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...

So are you saying that it cannot be expected of people to read the forum rules?
    It is not a specific rule though.

How many people know that they can mention a TS4 sale on Amazon, but not post a link to it?

Actually I did know that. I also would not post links to any sites with mods. This is an official EA forum. But I will admit that some people don't seem to understand that - yesterday I read a comment by some kid who was looking for help with his pirated TS4 game, for crying out loud.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required

we all try ...
    Another factor is buying advice.

Some Simmers want to buy a new PC, so they will post a link on the forum to a particular build on a website such as CyberPower - so is the link not technically advertising a product?

The reason why they post the link isn't to advertise a particular PC, but to ask whether it is any good for them to buy - but, they post the link as the link has all the info about the PC build - but it is still technically advertising a product to buy.
    Advertise. For anything: pay-to-play gaming sites, products or items for sale, referral links or advert links/images in forum signatures, avatar posts, blogs, profiles, you name it! But feel free to link to free gaming fan sites and free-to-enter league sites.

The rule is unclear because products and items for sale preceeds the rule about advert links. The rule reads that you are not allowed to post about products or items for sale regardless of whether it is a link or you just mention it. The advert link is a separate rule to negate posting a link.

Life is harsh.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    This is a forum rule:
    Cheat. Level up your forum account just like you would level up in one of our games, by participating and not by cheating. Any threads posted to boost points or otherwise influence your forum rank directly will be closed.

I don't get it.

If you have no idea what forum cheating is, then how do you know you are breaking forum rules?

This does not apply to you. Leveling up in the forum to get membership. This has been discussed in the forum before. People who beg for points to get membership. People who sign up in the forum, go straight to playing games in off topic trying to get points and membership . things like this
    edited January 2018
    I would assume that the rule is intentionally "unclear", because the moderators are around to make the final decision. Obviously, helping someone in the tech section to find a computer configuration that will help them play The Sims is in EAs interest. Giving this advice is basically a free sevice offered by forum members, it would be unreasonable to shut it down.
    I actually read the forum rules a while ago and sometimes go back to check for changes/updates. I know that my comments can sometimes be on the edge when I am being sarcastic, but so far I have not seen any reason to doubt that I would receive a fair warning before any sanctions were taken.
    Why are you so worried?
    Post edited by Netzspannung on

we all try ...
  • EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Netzspannung is completely right.

Rules are meant to be guidelines and their application can vary a little based on the situation - almost never is a situation straightforward and by the book. Moderation very often comes down to a judgement call and can frequently result in discussion on the right course of action within our team.

Regarding the warning and bans - we use warning as a general heads ups ("Hey you are breaking a rule here", kind of thing). Of course accumulating multiple of these warning can lead to a time out, but generally if you receive a ban outright a major zero tolerance rule has been broken or you have been warned multiple times.

Our inboxes are open to all - you are welcome to send us PM if you are unsure of certain rules.

I'll be closing this thread though, because it is breaking one of the rules:
    Don't Discuss moderation. Our moderators are here to keep this place happy and helpful for everyone. Discussing moderation in any way, shape, or form is not okay.

Forum Rules: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/922566/forum-dos-and-donts
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top