Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Granite Falls - laundry not working.

I set up Forest Hideaway with laundry; washer/dryer combo and hamper, as well as a tub outside. When the Sims changed clothes, nothing happened.

Here is how I had the room set up.

jtefhNw.png

Comments

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member

I set up Forest Hideaway with laundry; washer/dryer combo and hamper, as well as a tub outside. When the Sims changed clothes, nothing happened.

Here is how I had the room set up.

jtefhNw.png

You'res is the 2nd post I've seen about this. @SimQARobo can you investigate?
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    The team didn't foresee that players might want to use the machines on vacation?

Where are all those chlorine-soaked swimsuits supposed to go?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Take the bucket off the dryer and see if that makes any difference.

You said "nothing happens". Where do the dirty clothes go? On the ground? In a hamper? Do you have multiple hampers? Have you checked them all?
  • applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Take the bucket off the dryer and see if that makes any difference.

You said "nothing happens". Where do the dirty clothes go? On the ground? In a hamper? Do you have multiple hampers? Have you checked them all?
    :) That reads funny. As in humorous. (Passes calm balm). I did take the bucket off. No joy. I tried another family and another lot set up differently and nothing placed above the machines. Also did one with only the tub and the clothesline. No joy. I really mean nothing happens. It's as if I never installed Laundry Stuff. The clothes act like they did pre-pack. There aren't any clothes anywhere except on the Sim.

Have you tried moving the machines up to the first floor just to test them?

No, I figured it didn't work in the house, and didn't work with the washtub down the stairs and outside, so.... nah.
    Have you had success in Granite Falls?

No, I figured it didn't work in the house, and didn't work with the washtub down the stairs and outside, so.... nah.
    Have you had success in Granite Falls?

I haven't tried in GF yet. Do you have any community lots? If you do, add a small, rustic laundry shed there for everyone to share. (Yes, I know, technically, only your sim will use it.)
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I feel like laundry wasn't designed to work on vacation. But then if a player places a machine in a cabin, I guess nothing should stop them.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Laundry didn't work for me either in a Granite Falls rental that I preset up to send my sim too.
    She had a hamper, clothesline and washtub there. I'm not big on overhanging clutter ect so nothing was in the way. It just didn't work.
    When I sent her home laundry worked there.
    egTcBMc.png
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    They said in the livestream that laundry only works on the sim's home lot, that's the only place where they produce dirty clothes, and since a holiday lodge doesn't technically count as "home", maybe that's the problem...
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    It doesn't sound like a bug.
    It sounds like players try to force functionality on something.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Laundry didn't work for me either in a Granite Falls rental that I preset up to send my sim too.
    She had a hamper, clothesline and washtub there. I'm not big on overhanging clutter ect so nothing was in the way. It just didn't work.
    When I sent her home laundry worked there.

Yes, same here. I wouldn't really mind if it wasn't designed to work there; however I thought I heard Graham say it would, when they did the live stream, so I wanted to try it. It's not really that important, except to have the right information so people don't waste their time trying something that isn't designed to work as we assumed.

They said in the livestream that laundry only works on the sim's home lot, that's the only place where they produce dirty clothes, and since a holiday lodge doesn't technically count as "home", maybe that's the problem...
    Now that makes a lot of sense!

edited January 2018

They also said it would work in GF and in addition on community lots. It's likely a bug.
  • EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    As far as I know from playing around with this, you can do laundry on the vacation lot (or on other community lots), but only if you bring dirty laundry with you :smiley: (and have a washer/drier on the lot).

Changing outfits on the vacation lot does not generate dirty laundry in the rental lots hamper.
    EA_Mage wrote: »
    As far as I know from playing around with this, you can do laundry on the vacation lot (or on other community lots), but only if you bring dirty laundry with you :smiley: (and have a washer/drier on the lot).

Changing outfits on the vacation lot does not generate dirty laundry in the rental lots hamper.

That sounds right. Maybe that's why people can't get it to work cause they don't put the dirty laundry in the inventories before they go to GF.
    If my sims go on vacation, the dirty laundry stays home.
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    An added touch of realism! What's a vacation without a suitcase full of dirty laundry when you get home?
  • SimGuruNickSimGuruNick Posts: 384 SimGuru (retired)
    I'm being told this is by design. You can't generate laundry while not on your household lot. This includes if you go to another Sim's lot, you can't generate laundry. Also if you're at your home lot and just walk off somewhere else (like the street) you don't generate laundry there either.
    I'm being told this is by design. You can't generate laundry while not on your household lot. This includes if you go to another Sim's lot, you can't generate laundry. Also if you're at your home lot and just walk off somewhere else (like the street) you don't generate laundry there either.

Thanks so much, @SimGuruNick . Could you ask Graham what he was referring to when he mentioned Granite Falls? I can't find his reference, so I don't remember quite what it was he said. Thanks again!
    Hey all, I see some others from EA beat me to it, but I wanted to stop in and add my own note. What has already been shared is correct... while you can place laundry objects on any lot, generating laundry when changing clothes will only happen when on your Sim's home lot. Similarly, you'll only get the laundry buffs when changing your clothing while on your home lot. If you've placed laundry objects in Granite Falls, and you bring your dirty clothing along with you, you're welcome to wash and dry them there - the same way you can on any other lot.

I don't recall what I specifically said during the livestream, but it's entirely possible I got the details on how this works in Granite Falls wrong. There was a point during development of the pack where laundry would still be generated in Granite Falls and on retail lots, as behind the scenes in the game's code they're considered "owned" lots, which sometimes means the same thing in the game's logic as your home lot. We did work to ensure laundry would only be generated on your home lot to preserve consistent behavior of the feature across the game, as well as to avoid a number of edge case issues that temporary ownership of other lots could generate when interacting with the laundry system.

Hope that helps; let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks so much! That is very helpful. Eliza Pancakes now has Bob's slob-pile of clothes in her inventory, so we shall see how she likes doing laundry while on holiday. (I think I read you right on that one!)
    Understood re bleed-over problems that could develop with temp. ownership. Makes sense.

Follow-up in Granite Falls.
    Eliza took some of Bob's highly scentilicious clothes with her as they flew above the clouds on their way to the mountains. When they arrived, being the dedicated lady that she is, she got straight to work.
    jiKwy4l.png

nEdwgV2.png

Bob didn't like the guide telling him he was working his wife's fingers to the bone.

oal8RPC.png

Unperturbed by the nonsense of men, Eliza carried on valiantly.

iHRzC6M.png

And so the mystery comes to an end, sadly. As the story goes, "Have inventory, will travel." *play gunfighter's lullaby*

Why would you take dirty laundry with you on vacation? I go on vacations to get away from dirty laundry. LOL!
    Why would you take dirty laundry with you on vacation? I go on vacations to get away from dirty laundry. LOL!

But... but... that's like asking a kid why he blew something up. "Had 'ta see if it worked, Mom." :smiley: