Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

why clean clothes in hamper

Comments

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    I cant be the only one that wants to know, who was daft enough to think clean clothes go in the hamper?? and not in the drawers or wardrobes, where they are supposed to go. I see my sims twirl and their dirty clothes go into the hamper. the next day they clean them. which again end up in the hamper, so where are the dirty clothes supposed to go. I feel my sims are living in a twilight world where washing is backwards. I hope this gets rectified. with three kids and a dag and cat, they haven't time to be tripping over clean clothes on the floor. and why are they on the floor. someone allowed this in the game. Why??

Same and you can't even wash them.
    Ravager619 wrote: »
    They went into the hamper. It was filled with clothes that were clean. There was only one hamper in the house at the time and of course it was empty while the clothes were in the washer and dryer.
    I don't think you understand what's happening in my game. There is one hamper in the home. My Sim emptied the hamper and put the clothes in the washer. Then she moved them into the dryer. After they were done, I clicked on the interaction to put them away. The clothes ended up back in the hamper. During the time laundry was done, there were no outfit changes. It's bugged.

Hey all, I'd love a bit more information on what you're experiencing, as it's something we've never observed occurring here in the studio. Knowing how the feature functions, I'm not sure how what you're describing is possible, unless there's some step that occurred in your game that was missed. If you're using any mods at all, it'd be good to know if you're still having difficulty with all mods removed.

The only way clothing should get into your hamper is...
    • When a Sim that isn't a Slob or Lazy changes outfits, one pile of clothing should immediately be placed in the hamper. The cleanliness of clothing generated when changing an outfit should always be Used (or worse), which means it should always be able to be washed.
    • When a Sim picks up a pile of clothing from the floor and carries it to the hamper, and places it inside the hamper. Piles of clothes can be any level of cleanliness... all the way from Filthy to Pristine.
    • The player can manually drag a pile of clothing from anywhere in the world into a hamper. As mentioned above, that pile of clothing can be any level of cleanliness.

The only way I can think that clean clothing would end up in your hamper is if you washed your clothing, and then selected "Unload & Set Laundry Down", instead of taking it to the dryer. With a clean clothing pile on the ground, a Sim could choose to autonomously clean it up by moving it to the hamper. Sims should never autonomously select "Unload & Set Laundry Down" on their own, so getting into this situation - theoretically - can only happen via input by a player.

If you select "Unload & Put Away", then the Sim should toss the folded laundry up in the air where it "poofs" out of existence - having been fictionally added to your dresser. There's no need to actually have a dresser on your lot for this to function properly. Clothing will never go back into the hamper when this is selected.

I picked Unload and Put Away after washing and drying and noticed I had clean laundry in the hamper that can't be washed. I only have one hamper. No cc or mods in my game.
  • FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    I have 7 hampers right now, because I keep experimenting , but I still get clean clothes in the hamper, 1 with clean, 2 with dirty. I’ll keep playing to see if all 7 hampers are going to fill up with clean clothes.
  • AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    The ones that are full, you can eventually clean as they do seem to decay over time. I have a small-ish household with only 4 people so I have 4 hampers and so far none of them have filled up to the point of leaving piles around yet. I can usually wash one or two of the hampers clothes right away and the other has to sit for a while.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Okay can someone screenshot where clothes actually go into the dresser? I'm not getting that animation at all. When I tell a Sim to put clothes away, they throw them up in the air and they disappear. Is that normal? I feel like I'm missing something.
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Okay can someone screenshot where clothes actually go into the dresser? I'm not getting that animation at all. When I tell a Sim to put clothes away, they throw them up in the air and they disappear. Is that normal? I feel like I'm missing something.

we don't see them going into the dresser, like you they just disappear.

My first household I found clean clothes in hamper.
    my second household, only dirty wash in hampers.
    the only difference is, first household was premade, and they have a washing line and a hand wash tub, as well as a washing machine and dryer.
    my second family I made in CAS and only have a washing machine and dryer.

I don't have any CC or mods.
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    ...well...I'm sorry. I'm laughing my butt off here. I guess the solution is: Buy new hampers. :D

As you know, in RL we have to buy soap and fabric softener (for those who use it) IN Sims we don't have to do all that...it's provided free. Well...maybe this is EA's way of telling you that well...there's a trade-off. Since you don't buy soap or Fabric Softener in the Sims 4, well...you're buying hampers. :D

Going back to my corner now. :D

I found another solution I didn't mention. Put the clothes on a shelf or whatever the interaction is called. Then put them in your inventory. Then sell them for $50 simoleons. I did that once. :D
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Quote from @SimGuruGraham When a Sim that isn't a Slob or Lazy changes outfits, one pile of clothing should immediately be placed in the hamper. The cleanliness of clothing generated when changing an outfit should always be Used (or worse), which means it should always be able to be washed.

None of my sims have the lazy or slob trait, all new sims made in CAS so no left over traits from the gallery or something like that.

So my problem is that the clothes when my sims change for a shower go into the hamper correctly but the clothes in there are not able to be washed as it the mouse over info says these clothes are already clean once the clothes have been in the hamper for a while.

If I remove the hamper (delete it in buy mode) and replace it, have my sims change then my sims can take that set of clothing out the hamper and go through the entire wash/dry/put away cycle correctly. Clean clothing is not going into the hamper from the sims 'Put away clean clothing' interaction. The only clothing going into the hamper is clothing that is produced by my sims bathing, changing, swimming and so on, etc.

Once the supposedly dirty clothes have sat in the hamper for a period of time it then appears to become clean... idk but once again the info states these clothes are clean and so my sims can not wash them. New dirty clothes start getting dropped on the floor because the hamper is full of unwashable clothes.

The piles of washing on the floor can be placed into the washer as normal... but the hamper stays 'broken', full of supposedly clean clothes.

For now I am simply deleting and buying a new hamper but it's a right pain! :s

I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • waggymiley2013waggymiley2013 Posts: 239 Member
    If you have a least one dirty clothes hamper in your sims household get your sims to do laundry at the dirty hamper once he/she has the clothes pile in hand pause the game. You should now be able to click on every hamper and select pick up laundry. It works for me anyway.
    Also helps getting a sims hygiene low and go to the clean clothes hamper, Change your sim next to the hamper so it adds the dirty laundry to the clean hamper instead.
    Its really weird. I don't like using cheats that's the only work around i've found.
  • VilyaEleniVilyaEleni Posts: 72 Member
    I have this problem, too, or at least very similar. I always choose "Unload & Put Away" from the dryer, but on my hamper, I click on it to do the laundry and with a half full or full hamper "Add to Washing Machine" is greyed out and hovering over it gives me the reason "These clothes are already clean." But I have observed the hamper filling up by Sims changing, and yet it still says "These clothes are already clean"... Makes no sense. Something is definitely weird here.

Also has anyone else noticed you have to turn the dryer on twice for them to be dry? I have a fully upgraded dryer, and when my Sims turn it on to Dry Clothes, when it stops, it still says their wetness level is Damp, and I have to put it back on. Is this supposed to happen?
  • SimzSizzleSimzSizzle Posts: 433 Member
    edited January 2018
    :D you all making me want to buy it to see if I have the problem
    edit: drag the clothes out onto the floor & see what they do :p
    I have 7 hampers right now, because I keep experimenting , but I still get clean clothes in the hamper, 1 with clean, 2 with dirty. I’ll keep playing to see if all 7 hampers are going to fill up with clean clothes.

get EA to reimburse you the cost of the hampers :D
    They went into the hamper. It was filled with clothes that were clean. There was only one hamper in the house at the time and of course it was empty while the clothes were in the washer and dryer.
    I don't think you understand what's happening in my game. There is one hamper in the home. My Sim emptied the hamper and put the clothes in the washer. Then she moved them into the dryer. After they were done, I clicked on the interaction to put them away. The clothes ended up back in the hamper. During the time laundry was done, there were no outfit changes. It's bugged.

Hey all, I'd love a bit more information on what you're experiencing, as it's something we've never observed occurring here in the studio. Knowing how the feature functions, I'm not sure how what you're describing is possible, unless there's some step that occurred in your game that was missed. If you're using any mods at all, it'd be good to know if you're still having difficulty with all mods removed.

• When a Sim that isn't a Slob or Lazy changes outfits, one pile of clothing should immediately be placed in the hamper. The cleanliness of clothing generated when changing an outfit should always be Used (or worse), which means it should always be able to be washed.
    • When a Sim picks up a pile of clothing from the floor and carries it to the hamper, and places it inside the hamper. Piles of clothes can be any level of cleanliness... all the way from Filthy to Pristine.
    • The player can manually drag a pile of clothing from anywhere in the world into a hamper. As mentioned above, that pile of clothing can be any level of cleanliness.

The only way I can think that clean clothing would end up in your hamper is if you washed your clothing, and then selected "Unload & Set Laundry Down", instead of taking it to the dryer. With a clean clothing pile on the ground, a Sim could choose to autonomously clean it up by moving it to the hamper. Sims should never autonomously select "Unload & Set Laundry Down" on their own, so getting into this situation - theoretically - can only happen via input by a player.

If you select "Unload & Put Away", then the Sim should toss the folded laundry up in the air where it "poofs" out of existence - having been fictionally added to your dresser. There's no need to actually have a dresser on your lot for this to function properly. Clothing will never go back into the hamper when this is selected.

I picked Unload and Put Away after washing and drying and noticed I had clean laundry in the hamper that can't be washed. I only have one hamper. No cc or mods in my game.

maybe its that one hamper that's borked
  • Spunkymonk3ySpunkymonk3y Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi! Yes, I'm having this issue as well. My sims will do laundry just fine but some of the clothes that go into the hamper are seen as clean. And eventually, the hamper is full of clean clothes (after several clothing changes). There is no option to do laundry or put the clothes away and so clothing piles appear on the floor. In my family of 6 plus a doggy, I have to replace the two hampers every other day. If the hamper believes some of the clothes in it are clean, then when I do have the option to do laundry the sim only takes the clothes the hamper sees as used or dirty leaving my hamper half full of clothes I can't do anything with. I do not have any mods and my game was just barely installed on my PC.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    My Sim washed a load in the wash tub full of fresh, clean water, then hung them up on the clothesline to dry. When they were finished drying, I directed her to 'Unload and put away clothes'. The description underneath this option said the clothes were 'Used.' I don't see how that's possible since they were freshly washed and dried. That was the second load of laundry she'd done. The first one was 'Pristine'.

She's finally built a nice nest egg, so has now sold the wash tub and clothesline to buy a washer/dryer. Hasn't tried them yet, hoping this is just a one time glitch. *shrugs*

Just an FYI in case it matters, I have no mods or CC in my game.
    SimzSizzle wrote: »

maybe its that one hamper that's borked

No their all effected.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited January 2018
    I noticed this happens about every 3rd load in the hamper. Thinking it is a nasty glitch. This was with my daughter playing it.
  • Minerva_GreyMinerva_Grey Posts: 20 Member
    I've had the same problem(s).

1. A hamper full of clothes which cannot be laundered, as they're already clean.
    Theory: If you start out wearing Pristine clothes, they may only degrade to "clean" after a short days wear?

Solutions: Waited for clothes to degrade naturally. Done a heavy workout to get my clothes good and dirty, then changed - the dirty clothes added to the "clean" hamper has allowed me to wash the whole load. (Doesn't work if hamper is full, of course.)

2. Just got the "can't put clothes away"-bug too. I've washed several loads in the same apartment already, with no problem. Suddenly, removing the laundry from the dryer and putting it away was no longer an option, only putting it down. I can put it in my inventory, but I don't know if it will be used (worn) from there, or if it will degrade to dirty over time.
    Tried buying a dresser in case it was suddenly needed, but that didn't solve the problem.

Will follow this thread to see what happens.
  • Kittie885Kittie885 Posts: 94 Member

2. Just got the "can't put clothes away"-bug too. I've washed several loads in the same apartment already, with no problem. Suddenly, removing the laundry from the dryer and putting it away was no longer an option, only putting it down. I can put it in my inventory, but I don't know if it will be used (worn) from there, or if it will degrade to dirty over time.
    Tried buying a dresser in case it was suddenly needed, but that didn't solve the problem.

Will follow this thread to see what happens.

I'm suddenly having this same problem too. I haven't had any issues since the stuff pack was released but suddenly today there it is. I don't know why.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Ok after 30ish Sim days since I got the pack, I got those issues too...

- clean laundry in the hamper for a couple Sim days (only happened once - I have no idea how. I have a few Sims who automatically do laundry related stuff. Went away eventually.
    - still a random bug about not being able to put laundry in the washer because there is 'none in the lot'. Goes away too. I guess it's the same issue that sometimes prevents me from washing dishes because there are 'no sinks' or 'no trashcans' (there's like 3+ of each). It usually goes away pretty quick.
  • Kittie885Kittie885 Posts: 94 Member

As an update, I shut off and restarted my game, went back into the same lot I was having the problem and the problem was no longer there. I washed another load of laundry and it gave me the option to put away as usual. I'm not sure what the problem was but if it goes away I'm okay with it.
    I'm hoping this bug will be fixed in the February Update but restarting the game after shutting it down seems like a workaround for now.
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Ok after 30ish Sim days since I got the pack, I got those issues too...

- clean laundry in the hamper for a couple Sim days (only happened once - I have no idea how. I have a few Sims who automatically do laundry related stuff. Went away eventually.
    - still a random bug about not being able to put laundry in the washer because there is 'none in the lot'. Goes away too. I guess it's the same issue that sometimes prevents me from washing dishes because there are 'no sinks' or 'no trashcans' (there's like 3+ of each). It usually goes away pretty quick.

funny you mention the cant clean dirty plates, in bin. I have the same problem. since I first got the game. yet another sim can clean them or throw them away, it works for one and not another, its weird.
    I noticed this happens about every 3rd load in the hamper. Thinking it is a nasty glitch. This was with my daughter playing it.

For me it happened with the first load.
  • NerelithNerelith Posts: 13 New Member
    > @SimGuruGraham said:
    > Thanks for the continued reports; we've been taking a closer look here in the studio to try and determine if something unintended is going on. I'll share updates as we learn more.

Just wanted to add my experience. I had an empty hamper, and sims would change clothing, it drops in the hamper but sometimes when I check the hamper it says the clothing is already clean. This means that clothing that is " used" and has been worn and changed out of, goes into the hamper clean.

Second situation, it goes in, and I have the option to wash it, but.... if I go through the pockets first, when I am don ee fishing outthe cash... it has the wash clothes option greyed out, and says It is clean.

This pack is bugged.