Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To those of you not from the UK: (laundry pack-related)

BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
Just a random question, curious to see what people think.

I'm not sure which countries have separate laundry rooms in their homes; I know the U.S. does but I'm not sure about elsewhere.
I've noticed in the stuff pack section many a discussion about the placement of laundry rooms in sim's houses, and how the planning of said rooms is proving tricky for some.
I know precisely where I'm placing my washers and dryers - in the kitchen, as is common in most homes in the UK where I'm from.

To those of you not from the UK, what's your opinion of us Brits having our laundry appliances in the kitchen?
Gallery ID: babysquare

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    I'm not in the UK. I'm from Southeast Asia and I live in an apartment. So we don't have much space for an extra room just to put the washer. Therefore, we have it somewhere kinda in the kitchen, you could say. But more like in the corner, just in front of the bathroom.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    i'm from california and our washer/dryer are in the kitchen because our house is small. i don't think it's weird, kinda ugly tho tbh.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    Just a random question, curious to see what people think.

I'm not sure which countries have separate laundry rooms in their homes; I know the U.S. does but I'm not sure about elsewhere.
    I've noticed in the stuff pack section many a discussion about the placement of laundry rooms in sim's houses, and how the planning of said rooms is proving tricky for some.
    I know precisely where I'm placing my washers and dryers - in the kitchen, as is common in most homes in the UK where I'm from.

To those of you not from the UK, what's your opinion of us Brits having our laundry appliances in the kitchen?

Wait really? Well now, that's fascinating.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • TheHavocadoTheHavocado Posts: 607 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »

I personally think that's pretty common. In order to use laundry appliances, you obviously need to connect it with the main water supply and eletricity. The only place that has both is either bathroom or kitchen. While bathroom seems convenient, I don't think I want to use the washer if someone's is currently using the bathroom, so I just placed it on my kitchen.

Besides, my mom loves to multitask between washing and cooking. No one I have ever known multitask between showering and washing :D. Although I think it usually depends on personal preference and how the electricity and the plumbing of the building is designed actually, not culture or geography.
    Me, when triggered:
    CPwGluP.gif
    "All this negativity doesn't add up."
  • LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited January 2018
    I live in Canada. My childhood home had a laundry room, but it was also a narrow hallway, which led to the garage. We kept food, jackets/winter clothes, footwear, and random stuff in there. It depends on the place though. I've never seen the laundry machine(s) in the kitchen before, but I've seen them in a bathroom, or mud rooms (which in Canada is useful, because it's easy to track mud and snow in the house). I guess it just depends on the size/age of the house.

Having it in the kitchen sounds convenient though, unless you've got a real small kitchen!
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I'm from the Philippines, and our washing machine is outside the house. Now that I think about it, I don't know a lot of people here with laundry rooms.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • MalisityMalisity Posts: 145 Member
    I think it depends heavily on how the homes are set up. I live in Iceland while I can't speak for the whole country so far every place I have lived in both as a child and rented as an adult has one of the 3 following laundry setups.

1. The laundry room. In my experience these once are ether connected to the kitchen or the room with the front door.
    2. In the bathroom. Generally this is because the connection for the washer are in the bathroom. Simple as that. It's usually then bit to the side. I have seen people both put single washer up that way or stack washer and dryer. Both frontloaded in in the game.
    3. The common laundry room. This is my current situation, so in a house with multible flats that share a common basement area there is sometimes a common loundry room. So you have your own mashien there but all the connections for them are in there instead of the main apartments. I will say that this system sucks.

I have never seen a washing mashine in the kitchen but it might excist here never know.
  • micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    Where I live most laundry rooms are located in the basement. It makes so much more sense to have it on the main floor or the second floor though.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited January 2018
    You're right, typically the US has either a laundry room, laundry nook (sort of like a closet), or in the garage. I'm currently house hunting here in Texas and one of the houses had the laundry hookups in the kitchen. All though not common... I like the idea. My grandma's house has an open kitchen/dining and a laundry nook in the dining area.

When I play The Sims 3, I always have a small 2x2 room closed off for laundry. In real life, I would prefer a nook/closet or in the garage for more space.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    I am from the US and many houses I know do not have a dedicated laundry room. I just have a washer and dryer in my utility room, sandwiched between the furnace and the water heater. At my dad's house, the washer and dryer is in the downstairs bathroom. At my brother's house, there is a washer and dryer and a laundry sink and toilet all in one room, but it's really skinny, so it's not like a full laundry room. For example.

I think the idea of doing laundry in the kitchen is honestly disgusting. Thinking of pulling out clean laundry where you were just cutting up a chicken for dinner, something like that... *shudder* And don't you ever have brain farts and do something like try and put the dirty dishes in there? Just remembered you don't usually have dishwashers, so probably not.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻