Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims really will flirt with anyone.

MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
edited January 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I remember someone here telling me sims 4 sims have gender preferences and that it was found in the code. Well after coming back to the game after a long hiatus I'm not only not convinced but I'm annoyed that in a game that allegedly is about MY sims the following example shows how flawed and empty these sims are.

I have a Legacy family on generation 3. All stay under the same roof. Family are elderly Dad and my founder sim who is days away from aging to elder. Their young adult daughter and her husband. They have a toddler and the young adult Lily is pregnant with her second child.

None of the sims have the romantic trait. My founder female has the jealous trait. Lily was invited to the Bluffs by her older brother who has moved out so I accepted and made her take the whole family along as they all had nothing better to do. The toddler was making a mess so I was having her Mum interact with her whilst watching the others who were all in the pool.

I happened to notice that Lily's husband was feeling very flirty. Wondering why I switched to him find him flirting with his father in law.

In front of his jealous mother in law. I mean what is it his wife is out of sight so the game picks the nearest sim for him to target with romance?

I mean come on EA, flirting with your father in law whilst having whims to kiss and flirt with your wife? Second of all since when was my sim gay? He's got a wife, newly married and a child. If I wanted him to be gay I would have made him so but hitting on his elderly father in law? I rule? I think not.

Mother in law was fine with the flirting by the way. I mean her little box said angry but her whims involved kissing her husband and trying for a baby with him so clearly no hard feelings there and she is still good friends with her son in law despite witnessing him flirting with her husband. Clearly demonstrating the excellent, not at all flawed emotion system.

I don't have mods or cc.

And people wonder why I don't play this game much? Is this what EA mean by weirder stories? I wouldn't mind if I had set that scenario up but I didn't.

*Goes back to the sims 1-3 where I actually do rule*

Comments

• GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I just found a mod that makes all my sims straight. I found it to be a huge problem for me in my game. All my sims, no matter how I made them, would end up flirting with anything with two legs. Really drove me a bit batty. Never had this issue in the previous games. But I can't see the devs "fixing" the issue. Not sure they even see it as a problem, the random flirting with any sim.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I just found a mod that makes all my sims straight. I found it to be a huge problem for me in my game. All my sims, no matter how I made them, would end up flirting with anything with two legs. Really drove me a bit batty. Never had this issue in the previous games. But I can't see the devs "fixing" the issue. Not sure they even see it as a problem, the random flirting with any sim.

Now you’re speaking my language. Name of this mod?
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    It have heard this from TS4 for a few years now. It seems after all f the 'improvements' that the game has made since 2014 many of the so called dynamic behaviours from the Sims themselves are as flawed as in day one!

Needless to say I have never seen this in TS3 and I don't remember it in TS1 or TS2 either. I haver nothing against people liking the same gender and I can imagine that a few players might play that way but some players wouldn't and thus this would need to be looked at.

That and hitting on you father in law is not cool anyway regardless of circumstances!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

I had to hunt it down, lol Because I forgot to add it to my Pintrest:HERE.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    It have heard this from TS4 for a few years now. It seems after all f the 'improvements' that the game has made since 2014 many of the so called dynamic behaviours from the Sims themselves are as flawed as in day one!

Needless to say I have never seen this in TS3 and I don't remember it in TS1 or TS2 either. I haver nothing against people liking the same gender and I can imagine that a few players might play that way but some players wouldn't and thus this would need to be looked at.

That and hitting on you father in law is not cool anyway regardless of circumstances!

It's not him hitting on the same gender that bothers me. It bothers me the game has just decided he's gay when that was not the story I had planned. It's the fact he was hitting on his elderly father in law of all people. Like you say it doesn't happen in the sims 2 +3. Hitting on your father in law is just a tad icky when his wife and your pregnant wife is nearby.

It just seems to me they didn't bother to add in something as basic as gender preference. In the sims 2 once you set your gender preference you can change it but it takes a lot more than a simple flirt interaction.

Between this, endless bugs and lack of gameplay I'm ready to throw the towel in.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited January 2018

Seriously, thank you. The save I was playing on before I started a new one had way too many gay Sims running around. Not only that, but my Sim has multiple wives and whenever they are flirty, they'd flirt with each other rather than their husband. Very annoying.

And at one point, my Sim's son got engaged to a woman and I had him bring his fiance over as a sort of "meet-the-parents" scene. His father started hitting on my Sim's fiance. And she liked it.

They'll flirt with literally anyone, regardless of the relationship they had with that Sim. One forum member here reported that their male Sim had the ability to flirt with his father.

It's the same for me. I don't despise people that partake in that sort of thing, but I definitely don't want it in my game.

While I do enjoy the game, the emotion system is just absolutely ridiculous and perhaps one of the worst things about the game. You don't seem to have a lot of control over how you want your Sim to be unless you're constantly micro-managing them. Emotions are just randomly thrown at you and you have to make your Sim do something to get rid of that emotion. Or use cheats\mods.

This is why folks ask for a romance GP. So Sims will have more of a reason to being attracted to another Sim rather than just the Sim being flirty and there was just another Sim nearby.

Thank you for this. If I continue playing this may be necessary.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited January 2018
    ^"Between this, endless bugs and lack of gameplay I'm ready to throw the towel in."

Agreed, to an extent. I like the Sims 4 and I'll probably continue to play it even after the Sims 5 is released ( if it is ), but I'm definitely ready to see some Sims 5 stuff.

When I heard "weirder stories, smarter Sims", with the former, this isn't what I had in mind. With the latter, I've yet to see any evidence of that.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2018

It's not him hitting on the same gender that bothers me. It bothers me the game has just decided he's gay when that was not the story I had planned. It's the fact he was hitting on his elderly father in law of all people. Like you say it doesn't happen in the sims 2 +3. Hitting on your father in law is just a tad icky when his wife and your pregnant wife is nearby.

It just seems to me they didn't bother to add in something as basic as gender preference. In the sims 2 once you set your gender preference you can change it but it takes a lot more than a simple flirt interaction.

Between this, endless bugs and lack of gameplay I'm ready to throw the towel in.
    I once visited a party in my Sims 3 game with my sim and witnessed her father - being in a very steady and happy relationship - French kissing with her son in law ;) Both father and son in law were gay, so in that respect the game had it right. Didn't save though. Reopened the game and kept those two too busy this time around to do anything I would regret :p So it's not entirely true this is a Sims 4 thing only.

edit:
    There, I knew I kept a picture somewhere, for the family album :D

RZqD0Xx.jpg
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    All my sims can be gay/bi for all I care (in fact half of them probably are) but what irritates me is that two sims in a long term happy relationship can tank it in second when someone flirts with some random sim. There's no reason for them to do that.
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I once visited a party in my Sims 3 game with my sim and witnessed her father - being in a very steady and happy relationship - French kissing with her son in law ;) Both father and son in law were gay, so in that respect the game had it right. Didn't save though. Reopened the game and kept those two too busy this time around to do anything I would regret :p So it's not entirely true this is a Sims 4 thing only.

edit:

RZqD0Xx.jpg

Lol her Face!

Least they were gay though. Had my sims husband hit on his mother In law I could understand it. I don’t mind the game having some control but big decisions like their gender preference is my choice not the games. If I was going to make him gay he would have been hitting on her brother as they would make a nice pair.

I’ve never noticed it in the sims 3but my current save my sim flirts with everyone and anyone. And I mean everyone! She even got a wish to kiss Agnes Crumplebottom after she invited her to a pool party.
    All my sims can be gay/bi for all I care (in fact half of them probably are) but what irritates me is that two sims in a long term happy relationship can tank it in second when someone flirts with some random sim. There's no reason for them to do that.

Really? The sims 4? That’s not my experience. Sims 2 I grant you are bad for that. I had a sim in the sims 3 who autonomously decided he was breaking up with my sim because she kissed another man. But sims 4 sims are very easy to please. As I said my jealous sim witnessed her son in law flirting with her husband, got angry but still wanted to have another baby and kiss him. The emotion was for show. She didn’t give a monkeys what had happened. I’ve found sims 4 sims to be pretty easy going in that respect.
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member

Really? The sims 4? That’s not my experience. Sims 2 I grant you are bad for that. I had a sim in the sims 3 who autonomously decided he was breaking up with my sim because she kissed another man. But sims 4 sims are very easy to please. As I said my jealous sim witnessed her son in law flirting with her husband, got angry but still wanted to have another baby and kiss him. The emotion was for show. She didn’t give a monkeys what had happened. I’ve found sims 4 sims to be pretty easy going in that respect.

I've got a couple of mods that may magnify that reaction in my game ("no happy environment," for example) so that's on me...but the fact that the flirt happens to begin with is what I find irksome. I guess it kind of ties into that discussion about traits vs. emotions - I can see a sim with a romantic trait flirting, but not necessarily one with the family oriented trait that's been married for x number of Sim years.

Maybe what I'm fumbling toward here is the idea that the relationship should outweigh the impulse to flirt. To me, ideally, a sim in a soulmate relationship or otherwise strong relationship should not flirt outside of that relationship. A single sim in a flirty mood or with a romantic trait should. I don't know.

I've got a couple of mods that may magnify that reaction in my game ("no happy environment," for example) so that's on me...but the fact that the flirt happens to begin with is what I find irksome. I guess it kind of ties into that discussion about traits vs. emotions - I can see a sim with a romantic trait flirting, but not necessarily one with the family oriented trait that's been married for x number of Sim years.

Maybe what I'm fumbling toward here is the idea that the relationship should outweigh the impulse to flirt. To me, ideally, a sim in a soulmate relationship or otherwise strong relationship should not flirt outside of that relationship. A single sim in a flirty mood or with a romantic trait should. I don't know.

Ah I see, that sounds interesting. I agree certain traits should not be flirting autonomously with anyone like family oriented. Romance sims I can accept as they are bad for that in the sims 2 and 3 given a little persuasion but in my case with my sims husband, he’s a dance machine, active and good so his sudden turn around whilst he has romantic whims with his wife are just weird.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

edit:

RZqD0Xx.jpg

Lol her Face!

Least they were gay though. Had my sims husband hit on his mother In law I could understand it. I don’t mind the game having some control but big decisions like their gender preference is my choice not the games. If I was going to make him gay he would have been hitting on her brother as they would make a nice pair.

I’ve never noticed it in the sims 3but my current save my sim flirts with everyone and anyone. And I mean everyone! She even got a wish to kiss Agnes Crumplebottom after she invited her to a pool party.
    Yes, well *cough* there's Sims 3's facial expressions and reaction for you *cough* :grimace: And indeed, Sims 3 actually has romantic preference in the coding. And it builds up while you play.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @MidnightAura Sorry that you are still disapointed :(

@JoAnne65 The look on your Sim's face is one that I have seen many times lol
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @MidnightAura Sorry that you are still disapointed :(

@JoAnne65 The look on your Sim's face is one that I have seen many times lol

It’s the sims 4, I think on many levels I will be forever disappointed lol I have been spoiled with 2 and 3!
  • JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    Traits have nothing to do with it, which is the big problem in TS4. The emotion system overrides everything. I wish you could block certain channels on the television(like romance or kids) as that has caused me a lot of annoyance.
  • mickeysimbomickeysimbo Posts: 13 New Member
    The Tuner section of the MC Command Center mod has a "stop random flirting" option which stops Sims from flirting if they do not already have a romantic relationship. This should help stop Sims flirting with their fathers-in-law, etc.

For gender preference I use Azoresman Set Gender Preference mod, which allows you to click on a Sim and select their gender preference using the pie menu. I'm not sure if you could use this together with the Global Gender Preference mod (i.e. select a global preference, then deviate from that with individual Sims using Azoresman's mod), but that would be useful...
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    In Sims 3 their gender preference was determined by who they were romantic with (default was no preference at all I believe). It was totally possible to create bisexual Sims who actually had interest in both genders, or one. In Sims 4 it seems that every sim is bisexual, or just open to whatever regardless of what gender you instruct them to be romantic with. Kind of a shallow mechanic IMO.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    In Sims 3 their gender preference was determined by who they were romantic with (default was no preference at all I believe). It was totally possible to create bisexual Sims who actually had interest in both genders, or one. In Sims 4 it seems that every sim is bisexual, or just open to whatever regardless of what gender you instruct them to be romantic with. Kind of a shallow mechanic IMO.

In Sims 4 you can expect your Sim to probably want to romance a cactus if it rolled the whim to. I've seen some weird romances between my Sims when I've not been playing them; one time one of my Sims even got married off to this balding Chinese-Indian guy who was the Chief of Staff of the hospital (I have no mods that auto-pair Sims) but it was a terrible marriage bc she would always take him to the Romance festival and she would flirt with anyone else but him, and whatever romance they even had was tanked lol. I then preceded to use this relationship for something useful by having him sacrificed to her cowplant. >:)
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
    I love that in previous games the player could determine their sims gender. With the sims 4 I don't understand why I have to fight against the game. But then I don't know who thought it was a great idea to have sims be interrupted constantly by other sims whilst on dates thus making conversations "embarrassing" I had a sim who I rotated away from for two sim days, when I came back her relationship tab had not only her husband but a girl as well as an elderly man as romantic interests. So much for my sim being unflirty.

The game needs improved romance but to be honest I don't see the point when the sims relationships are so shallow and unbelievable. Slow dancing and cuddling in bed won't fix this. I don't see it being fixed as I don't think the powers that be think it's broken.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member

It's a problem a lot of games sadly fall for. They believe this is more inclusive or fair or accessible for everyone, the problem being this just makes characters feel more shallow. Mass Effect romantic interests feel less genuine because it's difficult to believe every single person on the ship is bisexual. Fallout 4 companions feel absolutely ridiculous when the robot is hitting on you or the married man with a wife and kids is suddenly gay for you. Sims just feel less characterized and like the system is just too lazy to account for the gender preferences of each one.

I prefer Fallout New Vegas' approach, a game which btw was praised by feminists, LGBT groups, Mormons and a number of other minority groups for doing something very simple: by recognizing that being a part of a minority is not a character trait and should never ever ever act as a personality. The game had 8 companions total including one lesbian and one gay guy. Neither of them would fully announce their sexual preference unless it came up in conversation (or you attempted to hit on them as the proper gender) and both of them were characters just like everyone else. Additionally, there were perks to give your character an aptitude for hitting on the opposite gender or their own. Different perks would correspond with different target NPCs, resulting in different benefits. This is because the game didn't lazily decide quest target #5 was somehow lesbian, bisexual, a gay man and straight simultaneously (somehow), but rather quest #5 would involve a gay guy while quest #7 then benefitted women since the target was a straight male, and so on and so forth. This gave them more personality and the universe more realism.

Honestly, with a game like the Sims...? Gender preference should be added to CAS, or Sims should be assumed straight until the player themselves does something to change this. I think the former solution would be much easier to code in and would add to personalities of the Sims far better, but I fear they probably won't include such a thing out of fear it'd offend somebody. I really think the fear of offending people just needs to stop. I mean until partway through the last game, large breasts were somehow considered inappropriate. I got news for the offended: large breasted women exist, gay people exist, lesbians exist, and the inclusion or exclusion of such things on a checklist in CAS is not gonna change that.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    Very sorry for my English, I'm not a English speaker.

Right now for me this game is for single Sims, who only working, skilling and flirting with everyone without longer consequences. It is almost impossible to make a good, faithful pair of Sims here.

Now I got a pair of twins (they started as teens, now young adults) - man and woman, who are the best friends and living at the same roof. I planned for them marriages, but I want them to live in this house together. The house is very big so there are a lot of space for their families (maybe some children in the future).

For 90% in the Sims 4 there is an hidden attraction system, so I always starting a romance with "risqué question". It works for me any time - when it's positive, I starting the romance. Second one are the wishes of my Sims. As teens, my Sims had two clubs - the girl invites all teen girls and the boy - teen guys. Then the two clubs started partying at the same time and my teenager preferred in his wishes one Sim girl.
    Ok, now they are engaged.

My girl find her mate incidentally and now she's a pair with this young vampire (Caleb Vatore in Polish version). His wishes are full of her head but... Now they are all ignoring each other. The vampire prefers computer or tv... When I changed her hair (different color) he started to flirt with her automatically but... 0 wishes. Not only one! It doesn't make sense!

But!

Caleb and my male Sim started romance... The fiancée of my male Sim wants to flirt with Caleb and with her sis in law! It's looks to me like this is very random - wishes, attractiveness, even gender.

I do not have problem with gay people, my best friend is gay and I want gay people in the Sims 4... But when I planning "straight" romance for my Sims I don't want surprises like that, seriously.

And the children, who playing this game, can see all these random flirting, the traitors in marriage (sorry, not very nice) and what they could learn from the Sims 4? Mom and dad could flirt with everyone, make woohoo with everyone so easily?

They must repair this, for me it's necessary. Maybe attraction system like in TS2 (we need to be SURE, that our Sims are really interesting each other), faithfulness in pairs with good relationship (when your Sim is in love he will rejecting all romance interactions from other automatically) and gender preferences, who really works!

Right now I just can't play this game in "Walt Disney style - happy, loving marriages). My Sims from now are hedonistic sociopaths... at least I'm not disappointed, when the fiancée of my favorite Sim wants to flirt with a neighbor...
    Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl

It's a problem a lot of games sadly fall for. They believe this is more inclusive or fair or accessible for everyone, the problem being this just makes characters feel more shallow. Mass Effect romantic interests feel less genuine because it's difficult to believe every single person on the ship is bisexual. Fallout 4 companions feel absolutely ridiculous when the robot is hitting on you or the married man with a wife and kids is suddenly gay for you. Sims just feel less characterized and like the system is just too lazy to account for the gender preferences of each one.

I prefer Fallout New Vegas' approach, a game which btw was praised by feminists, LGBT groups, Mormons and a number of other minority groups for doing something very simple: by recognizing that being a part of a minority is not a character trait and should never ever ever act as a personality. The game had 8 companions total including one lesbian and one gay guy. Neither of them would fully announce their sexual preference unless it came up in conversation (or you attempted to hit on them as the proper gender) and both of them were characters just like everyone else. Additionally, there were perks to give your character an aptitude for hitting on the opposite gender or their own. Different perks would correspond with different target NPCs, resulting in different benefits. This is because the game didn't lazily decide quest target #5 was somehow lesbian, bisexual, a gay man and straight simultaneously (somehow), but rather quest #5 would involve a gay guy while quest #7 then benefitted women since the target was a straight male, and so on and so forth. This gave them more personality and the universe more realism.

Honestly, with a game like the Sims...? Gender preference should be added to CAS, or Sims should be assumed straight until the player themselves does something to change this. I think the former solution would be much easier to code in and would add to personalities of the Sims far better, but I fear they probably won't include such a thing out of fear it'd offend somebody. I really think the fear of offending people just needs to stop. I mean until partway through the last game, large breasts were somehow considered inappropriate. I got news for the offended: large breasted women exist, gay people exist, lesbians exist, and the inclusion or exclusion of such things on a checklist in CAS is not gonna change that.

Off topic I love fallout and agree about the companions. Never played new Vegas but I plan too.

Anyhow back on topic we should have a way to set our gender preferences in cas. I mean with the Sims 2 you could set turn ons and turn offs in cas so if you gave a female sim a turn on of "formal wear" and beards/facial hair you were setting her up to be attracted to males. I like the attraction system, I like that we can set their preference by flirting with the desired gender and then the sim will ways use the desired gender for romantic interactions but the player can change it should they want too by pushing for romantic interactions on the opposite gender and then the balance will shift.

I agree we are never likely to get such a preference set in cas because it would offend someone. I expect that is why sims don't appear to have a gender preference and will happily float between both and the player cannot stop it any more than they can stop sims hitting on their in laws