Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Out of curiosity, would you buy a new computer just to play The Sims?

aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
I asked the same question on twitter, so I'd be interested to see what the forums have to say on the subject.

Twitter results:

186 votes total

86% YES
14% NO
Post edited by aricarai on

Out of curiosity, would you buy a new computer just to play The Sims? 381 votes

Yes
81%
ehaught58Dannydanboauroraael14Frn0731bshag4lvnickibitswardicmnfrshJeanbrackencat31ErpeBluefairy286verlainemKita5399IdontrcallGalacticGalIcewolfJasedjacquelynstewIrishSimmer21alexspoom13 311 votes
No
18%
BluegayleCK213Goth583Lomelindi7Colorist40jonilla1kremesch73SimpatsyannSimburianOhHeyLuckyEmoFlowersBagoas77mommy19959699stilljustme2LatteCrabwrenstalesKasanthduhboy2u2aero2491Ozryel249 70 votes

Comments

• Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yes
    This is what I did. ^^
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    chxnelchxnel Posts: 57 Member
    No
    No, already have a computer i'm too attached to which works just enough to play my sims games:)
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Yes
    I have done twice. There's other games I play but with my pc The sims is the main one.
  • Options
    poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    Yes
    i bought my current "gaming" laptop just to play the sims, i'm a console pleb.
    although, my old laptop was getting worn out anyway, but if not for the sims i would have gotten a much cheaper (and smaller..) one to replace it.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

• Options
    LiaRose1435LiaRose1435 Posts: 720 Member
    Yes
    i recently bought a gaming laptop just to play the sims. And now I have 2 laptops
    Am I too lost to be saved?
    Am I too lost?
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Yes
    Yes, cause I did. Sims 4 wouldn’t run on my computer, so I bought a new one.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    Yes
    Have done so twice. Gaming laptop in 2009, and then more recently in 2016 a gaming desktop. :smiley:

I do play other games, but if I didn’t play The Sims I wouldn’t have bothered with buying a computer of my own and would have just used one of the others we have here.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited January 2018
    Yes
    I have to answer yes because I have done that a couple of times earlier. But it isn’t a complete “yes” because TS5 has to be surprisingly good for me to do it again. Otherwise I most likely won’t do it once more.
  • Options
    Yes
    This is very interesting to see. The twitter poll is still running I believe, but if anyone is interested, I'll post the results here when it's finished.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yes
    I have five times now. Two times laptops, which I regret doing and three times desktops. I started off with a desktop with the Sims game, upgraded to a better computer, did so again with the Sims 2. Tried two laptops with the Sims 3, I wouldn't recommend it, and now on my first gaming desktop with the Sims 5. Thing is I didn't upgrade my computer just for the Sims, but it was actually Overwatch that had me upgraded. I used all my allowance money as a kid and would babysit to buy new computers and a few packs for the first two iterations. My brother ended up buying the DS versions of the Sims games but it got stolen at his high school. For college I bought new laptops using my loan and scholarship funds and games with babysitting and a few jobs I had during it. I remember I used to burn my tummy and one was starting to spark, so I had to get rid of that laptop because it had overheated so much it melted the cords and adaptors while playing the Sims 3. Now I'm graduated and have worked a bit, I'm able to buy myself more, so I have a nice gaming desktop that my brother helped me build, and for the first time able to buy myself the packs I had missed in the Sims 3, EPs at least, and get some Sims 4 packs. I can't play the Sims on the desktop due to OS reasons, but able to run the other three games on it. I did get a tip from a streamer how to run the first Sims on Windows 10 however.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    Yes
    November 2016 I bought a MacBook, I didn't buy it for The Sims, however that's not to say it wasn't a big factor in which laptop I was going to buy.
  • Options
    ArtsyAmyArtsyAmy Posts: 1,312 Member
    Yes
    Yes, I did already too. :) For SimCity, TS3, and TS4 ;):p
    LCTYbER.gif
    Judging In: Versace's Finest | Simplistic Magazine Competition-CYCLE 2

"Anyone can criticize; Can YOU inspire?"-unknown
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Yes
    @aricarai Very curious what the Twitter results say, if it corresponds or not.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Yes
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @aricarai Very curious what the Twitter results say, if it corresponds or not.

I shall post them when it's done in about 4 hours! :smile:
  • Options
    samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    Yes
    I've only bought a new laptop when my previous one was struggling in general but I've bought a new one sooner than I otherwise would have and bought a more expensive laptop so I could play the sims. I did this when sims 4 came out and am going to do it again as soon as I can afford it. If I'm ever in a position where I have the money to do so then I'm sure I would upgrade my computer just for the sims even if it was otherwise fine.
  • Options
    YardenroYardenro Posts: 376 Member
    No
    I'm shocked to say the least from your responses.
    not judging, just thought it would be 100% NO.

-Yarden.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Yes
    I played Sims 4 on a laptop in low graphics mode for two years until I had saved up enough for a good desktop. But Sims 4 wasn't even the main reason to get a new desktop - being able to play a mod heavy Sims 2 without crashing/freezing was.
  • Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    Yes
    I have purchased a new computer for every version of the Sims that came out since the beginning of the franchise. That is how I gauge when it is time for a new computer! :)
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited January 2018
    Back during The Sims 2 and The Sims 3, I did so routinely. For this game? nope
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    PlumDiddyPlumDiddy Posts: 551 Member
    Yes
    Yup. Was the main reason i got myself a gaming laptop.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Yes
    If a pack came out that upped the system requirements beyond what my current computer can handle and actually had some really juicy, meaningful additions to gameplay in Live Mode, sure, I'd buy a new computer for that. Currently, I'm planning on buying a new gaming laptop at some point for some other games I'm interested in, so I am willing to upgrade if it really seems worth it. But...the thing is, like buying a new game console, it has to be worth the investment. So far, the one Expansion Pack that upps the system requirements ("Cats and Dogs") doesn't add enough to be worth upgrading for that alone.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    Bluefairy286Bluefairy286 Posts: 254 Member
    edited January 2018
    Yes
    I bought a new computer for The Sims 2 when that came out but this also made it possible for me to enjoy other games too. For the Sims 2 I also needed to use a good video editing and photo editing programme, which also needed good specs. I wouldn't buy a new computer for The Sims 4 if I needed to though.
  • Options
    Sweet_ItalySweet_Italy Posts: 898 Member
    Yes
    Yes. I actually just had this discussion with my husband. Our current laptop is starting to show its age. All i play on it is Sims and 2 other games.(Civ 5 and Cities Skylines) sims has gotten super laggy and stuttery for me. I don't think the graphics card can keep up anymore, so we may be doing some computer shopping in a couple months.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Twitch: Sweet_Italy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gallery: Sweet_Italy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Check out my Showcase Thread!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited January 2018
    No
    The Sims isn't the only game I play, so dishing out for a new system just for the Sims is not going to happen.
    If there was multiple games I had/wanted that needed a new system I would.(If I had the $ saved)
    However, I tend to upgrade my pc anyways, because I use it for a lot of things aside from entertainment (i.e my work and school) because of this I have never needed to worry about my computer being upgraded for a sims game.

Edit: clarity
    Post edited by Shadowmarked on
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Yes
    I did this for each iteration since 2004.