Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the deal with the "stop stealing" on the gallery?

Comments

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    I don't understand people sometimes. Say you make a song, a movie, a painting. Anything really that you've put hours and hours of your time and energy into. Then when you publish it, it becomes everyone else's too? Really? Sure, maybe some other people will use it to push their own creativity but if someone ends up using the exact same storyline, beat, melody or image as you did, without ever crediting your work, you'd probably be rather annoyed about it. How is this different for your builds? I especially don't get how so many can hide behind the "it's EA's property" excuse. Even EA gives out maxis faves and mentions creators when using their builds or screenshots anywhere (including blog posts) instead of simply re-uploading your stuff or putting it into a pack or pretending they made it ^^ if even the real owner of your creations can respect your work, why can't other simmers do the same? Sure it's not always malicious or on purpose. Sometimes people changed a lot about your builds and want to share these changes with other simmers. But, a simple mention doesn't kill anyone, and it's simply a sign of giving a plum about other people's time and, yes, pride in their work.

Apparently you have not read all my posts I have stated several times that reuploading anothers work as your own is unacceptable. and i do not condone it. But at the same token is it not respect that you do not use an offensive hashtag to stop a few from doing it? It may be my age (70) but I do take offense that someone right off the bat is calling me a thief. That is the problem here not who uploaded what of whose and how the creators should get credit. And please do not tell me that it does not mean me and that I should get over it, as that could go both ways. so those hiding behind (as you said) are also hiding behind its not for you it means this.....Isn't that doing the same. I am offended by the hashtag "stopstealing" and I feel it should be removed.
    Maybe I am just a majority of one like Ghandi says and one favorite is not going to make much difference, but to me it would mean being appreciated for being a person.

I wasn't speaking directly to you (I admit I didn't read the entire thread either), was just generally responding to a few comments. But honestly, I don't understand why the hashtag is offensive to you. No one's calling you a thief, they're just saying "hey if you use this, don't forget where you got it from first".
  • Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    hey all if you want to see some great builds these are unbelieveable you should check out @ehaught58 he does not care if you change them. But there is really nothing to change he is talented.......He does not use stopstealing in his builds.

Thanks @jimmysnan I am glad you enjoy my lots. As you have said, I don't mind if people change my lots after downloading. In fact, I EXPECT people to make changes to my lots to fit their own tastes. I must confess that I don't usually download other peoples' lots (because I am too busy building my own lots), but if I did, I would definitely make changes to them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that!
    If you want to upload it to save it as a backup, or if you want to re-upload it to the Gallery to show off the "improvements" you have made, just remember to be respectful to the original poster. That's not too much to ask... :smile:

Side Note: As I have stated in a previous post, I truly believe that the reason we have so many re-uploads in the Gallery that do not give proper credit to the original poster, is that we have a lot of young, new Simmers who have not played previous versions and do not yet understand the etiquette of re-uploading to the Gallery. Just my theory.... :smile:
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    edited January 2018
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    hey all if you want to see some great builds these are unbelieveable you should check out @ehaught58 he does not care if you change them. But there is really nothing to change he is talented.......He does not use stopstealing in his builds.

Thanks @jimmysnan I am glad you enjoy my lots. As you have said, I don't mind if people change my lots after downloading. In fact, I EXPECT people to make changes to my lots to fit their own tastes. I must confess that I don't usually download other peoples' lots (because I am too busy building my own lots), but if I did, I would definitely make changes to them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that!
    If you want to upload it to save it as a backup, or if you want to re-upload it to the Gallery to show off the "improvements" you have made, just remember to be respectful to the original poster. That's not too much to ask... :smile:

Side Note: As I have stated in a previous post, I truly believe that the reason we have so many re-uploads in the Gallery that do not give proper credit to the original poster, is that we have a lot of young, new Simmers who have not played previous versions and do not yet understand the etiquette of re-uploading to the Gallery. Just my theory.... :smile:

I agree. There are kids on here. My grand daughter plays it with me when she comes (she has the console version plays it on her x box ) She likes to play with NAN as we do it together.
    I have always given credit to the original creator. I do not download without doing that. I cant help that I have a problem with a "hashtag" that claims IMO that I am a thief before I even look over their stuff in game. There are some creators that do not want the stuff reuploaded and I do honor that. I am old (70) and I think that respect goes both ways, if I respect you enough and I believe most do respect the creators and worry that any changes will make them stop downloading their things then the creators need to stop putting offensive hashtags that are not for the majority of players. Maybe it's funny of me but I tend to think respect goes both ways. maybe my idea of respect is different from younger peoples.
  • Options
    I don't understand people sometimes. Say you make a song, a movie, a painting. Anything really that you've put hours and hours of your time and energy into. Then when you publish it, it becomes everyone else's too? Really? Sure, maybe some other people will use it to push their own creativity but if someone ends up using the exact same storyline, beat, melody or image as you did, without ever crediting your work, you'd probably be rather annoyed about it. How is this different for your builds? I especially don't get how so many can hide behind the "it's EA's property" excuse. Even EA gives out maxis faves and mentions creators when using their builds or screenshots anywhere (including blog posts) instead of simply re-uploading your stuff or putting it into a pack or pretending they made it ^^ if even the real owner of your creations can respect your work, why can't other simmers do the same? Sure it's not always malicious or on purpose. Sometimes people changed a lot about your builds and want to share these changes with other simmers. But, a simple mention doesn't kill anyone, and it's simply a sign of giving a plum about other people's time and, yes, pride in their work.

Apparently you have not read all my posts I have stated several times that reuploading anothers work as your own is unacceptable. and i do not condone it. But at the same token is it not respect that you do not use an offensive hashtag to stop a few from doing it? It may be my age (70) but I do take offense that someone right off the bat is calling me a thief. That is the problem here not who uploaded what of whose and how the creators should get credit. And please do not tell me that it does not mean me and that I should get over it, as that could go both ways. so those hiding behind (as you said) are also hiding behind its not for you it means this.....Isn't that doing the same. I am offended by the hashtag "stopstealing" and I feel it should be removed.
    Maybe I am just a majority of one like Ghandi says and one favorite is not going to make much difference, but to me it would mean being appreciated for being a person.

I wasn't speaking directly to you (I admit I didn't read the entire thread either), was just generally responding to a few comments. But honestly, I don't understand why the hashtag is offensive to you. No one's calling you a thief, they're just saying "hey if you use this, don't forget where you got it from first".

Then really they should say that. I am older that may be the difference. I was taught that you get respect when you give it. Telling me to "stop stealing" is telling me that I have stolen their work. and that I should stop doing it. To say it is not for me is a cop out. It is disrespectful to all who do the downloading and uploading right. maybe it does not bother you, but it does me and maybe they ought to rethink it if they want my favorites and my respect.
  • Options
    KuroiKuroi Posts: 137 Member
    jimmysnan wrote:
    Please do not just dismiss my feelings with a just ignore and go on. I feel what i feel. Now my opinion is waivering on the reuploading. I will respect that. However if the hashtag stop stealing is with it i will pass it by. If we all stopped giving credit for the creators who use this hashtag it would go away but that is not possible. So i will not be loading anything from them they can keep it amoung them and their friends.
    Like I said: I understand that you find that hashtag offensive and I mainly agree with you, but I'm just being practical. You cannot convince everyone not to use it. The only thing you can control is how YOU deal with it. And in my opinion the healthiest reaction (= best for you) is not to take it personally.

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2018
    Yeah it is an etiquette thing reuploading anything and claiming it as your own. True all assets belong to EA, but what you are stealing is the time and effort a Simmer put into their creation which can take hours, days or even months to create. It is like someone else invented the idea of the book, but each author uses that invention for their own creations. I've seen this done with the mod and CC community too creations being stolen. Honestly I think lack of consequences in the Sims 4 is teaching Simmers there are not consequences for their actions too. Yes it is stealing plan and simple and I'm not going to water it down. Yes you will have Simmers angry at you about it since it is a moral issue. Least someone could do is give credit where credit is due. It is like writing a paper and using quotes and not crediting the authors that wrote it. It is something you learn in school to do. I think it is a good idea that ehaught58 suggested too about saying what changes you did. I've seen creators in tears about their creations being favorited by Maxis but being reuploaded by someone else. So if anyone wants to be that type of person, that's on your hands not mine. You are accountable for your own actions in life. People claim that lots should be play tested before being reuploaded, but if you aren't checking if someone the original creator is being credited too, than that is being just as negligent.

I won't use a hashtag for uploads to prevent stealing. I use the flag this for when thefts occur. It is what that feature is for and I would encourage people to use it if their creations are reuploaded without credit. Gallery is actually very poorly designed to how downloads work for the modthesims site which have to go through many channels and mod before something can be uploaded.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    edited January 2018
    It took me a really long time to figure out that some of the builds or sims on the gallery were re-uploads (probably a lot longer than it should have). Very frequently I see identical uploads and no note explaining why - I also didn't realize until this thread that people save things back to the gallery as a backup. That would explain a lot of it but there's no way of knowing without some kind of note. Once I realized what I was seeing I started making sure I was downloading from original creators, or from people who clearly make statements such as "This is soandso's build, the only difference is that I am reuploading it unfurnished" or something to that effect, whatever the change may be.

I am a poor builder but I have a lot of builds that I love which were originally downloaded from the gallery and massively altered by me over a period of time to fit my Sims' needs (a starter house works well for a single Sim or a couple; less so three generations down the line with a 7 sim household). I tend to alter the homes I'm using rather than move Sims around because it feels more homey to me. I would never reupload those altered builds because I wouldn't feel comfortable with uploading something that originally wasn't my work even if it was completely unrecognizable. I'm even uncomfortable posting screenshots that someone might recognize, small as that possibility might be. That said, I also avoid anything with the "no stealing" hashtag because given my own feelings on the subject, that's a pile of crap I simply have no desire to step in.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    It took me a really long time to figure out that some of the builds or sims on the gallery were re-uploads (probably a lot longer than it should have). Very frequently I see identical uploads and no note explaining why - I also didn't realize until this thread that people save things back to the gallery as a backup. That would explain a lot of it but there's no way of knowing without some kind of note. Once I realized what I was seeing I started making sure I was downloading from original creators, or from people who clearly make statements such as "This is soandso's build, the only difference is that I am reuploading it unfurnished" or something to that effect, whatever the change may be.

I am a poor builder but I have a lot of builds that I love which were originally downloaded from the gallery and massively altered by me over a period of time to fit my Sims' needs (a starter house works well for a single Sim or a couple; less so three generations down the line with a 7 sim household). I tend to alter the homes I'm using rather than move Sims around because it feels more homey to me. I would never reupload those altered builds because I wouldn't feel comfortable with uploading something that originally wasn't my work even if it was completely unrecognizable. I'm even uncomfortable posting screenshots that someone might recognize, small as that possibility might be. That said, I also avoid anything with the "no stealing" hashtag because given my own feelings on the subject, that's a pile of plum I simply have no desire to step in.
    Maybe there should be a different hashtag for reuploads? Like something simple #Backupsave. I do admit I kind of wish the Sims had a cloud storage system. It would help a lot for causes of uploading for backups. I tend to do backups just in saving it the library because my computer can handle the space. Could be a possibility for the future cloud saves. It would help with so many areas like builds, photos, mods, and CC.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member

I am a poor builder but I have a lot of builds that I love which were originally downloaded from the gallery and massively altered by me over a period of time to fit my Sims' needs (a starter house works well for a single Sim or a couple; less so three generations down the line with a 7 sim household). I tend to alter the homes I'm using rather than move Sims around because it feels more homey to me. I would never reupload those altered builds because I wouldn't feel comfortable with uploading something that originally wasn't my work even if it was completely unrecognizable. I'm even uncomfortable posting screenshots that someone might recognize, small as that possibility might be. That said, I also avoid anything with the "no stealing" hashtag because given my own feelings on the subject, that's a pile of plum I simply have no desire to step in.

I find multiples of my own that I know no one has re-uploaded as there are only the changes I have made. I try to remember to delete the old ones, but some slip by.
  • Options
    trulyoutrageoustrulyoutrageous Posts: 245 Member
    asesina wrote: »
    I don't know. I'm not a builder cause I'm awful at it. But what I do know is that builds are incredibly hard and can be tedious and it is never an easy feat, even for a video game. Builds can and tend to take hours to do, especially the intricate and really gorgeous ones and I know if I worked that hard on something, was nice enough to make it available for others to download and then saw it reuploaded with someone else passing it off as their own, I'd probably be pretty darn annoyed too.

Like, yes. EA gave everyone the tools to create the house but EA themselves still didn't create that house, so the logic of "well we're all technically stealing from EA" doesn't really work imo.

I mean, for me, it's like telling a writer whose work got plagiarized, "Well you didn't make that paper or typewriter or laptop, you just wrote on it, so technically it's not stealing."

My offense is taken with the hashtag. I know how long it takes to make things. Hey it takes a long time to remake them for your game.

In all honestly, (and I mean this in the nicest way possible) I wouldn't worry so much about the hashtag especially since you're not guilty of stealing. I'd be bothered more by why the hashtag is needed in the first place.
    supersonic, simobotic, disconnected, not respected, who would ever really wanna go and top that?

tumblr_np8nzkY5xK1rkqz3ho9_r1_250.gif
  • Options
    Kuroi wrote: »
    jimmysnan wrote:
    Please do not just dismiss my feelings with a just ignore and go on. I feel what i feel. Now my opinion is waivering on the reuploading. I will respect that. However if the hashtag stop stealing is with it i will pass it by. If we all stopped giving credit for the creators who use this hashtag it would go away but that is not possible. So i will not be loading anything from them they can keep it amoung them and their friends.
    Like I said: I understand that you find that hashtag offensive and I mainly agree with you, but I'm just being practical. You cannot convince everyone not to use it. The only thing you can control is how YOU deal with it. And in my opinion the healthiest reaction (= best for you) is not to take it personally.

So your practical feeling and whats best for me are the same thing? I am sorry but we disagree. I understand they will not change the tag so i should just suck it up? I dont think so. I will not be using crediting or favoring any creations with this tag and i believe there are others who feel the same. Please stop trying to belittle my feelings.
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    Yeah it is an etiquette thing reuploading anything and claiming it as your own. True all assets belong to EA, but what you are stealing is the time and effort a Simmer put into their creation which can take hours, days or even months to create. It is like someone else invented the idea of the book, but each author uses that invention for their own creations. I've seen this done with the mod and CC community too creations being stolen. Honestly I think lack of consequences in the Sims 4 is teaching Simmers there are not consequences for their actions too. Yes it is stealing plan and simple and I'm not going to water it down. Yes you will have Simmers angry at you about it since it is a moral issue. Least someone could do is give credit where credit is due. It is like writing a paper and using quotes and not crediting the authors that wrote it. It is something you learn in school to do. I think it is a good idea that ehaught58 suggested too about saying what changes you did. I've seen creators in tears about their creations being favorited by Maxis but being reuploaded by someone else. So if anyone wants to be that type of person, that's on your hands not mine. You are accountable for your own actions in life. People claim that lots should be play tested before being reuploaded, but if you aren't checking if someone the original creator is being credited too, than that is being just as negligent.

I won't use a hashtag for uploads to prevent stealing. I use the flag this for when thefts occur. It is what that feature is for and I would encourage people to use it if their creations are reuploaded without credit. Gallery is actually very poorly designed to how downloads work for the modthesims site which have to go through many channels and mod before something can be uploaded.

I will say it again please read entire post as my issue is not re uploading things for credit. I do not condone someone passing someone elses work off as their own.
  • Options

You get what i am saying. Thank you so much for understanding.
  • Options

Maybe there should be a different hashtag for reuploads? Like something simple #Backupsave. I do admit I kind of wish the Sims had a cloud storage system. It would help a lot for causes of uploading for backups. I tend to do backups just in saving it the library because my computer can handle the space. Could be a possibility for the future cloud saves. It would help with so many areas like builds, photos, mods, and CC.

Please message the gurus with these ideas they are good ones. Maybe if enough people message them the gallery will change.
  • Options

I find multiples of my own that I know no one has re-uploaded as there are only the changes I have made. I try to remember to delete the old ones, but some slip by.

So how silly am i? I did not.even know i could remove things from my gallery lol i make changes on my own sims my creations and i save them not thinking i had another on there. I thought if you made changes the sim changed automatically when you uploaded. Lol
  • Options
    KeyserFnKeyserFn Posts: 1,424 Member
    I don't care if someone uses my sims for but for crying out loud change them example names and if you do that and reupload them that's fine but don't reupload them claim they are yours when it's clearly someone elses.Someone did that to me I turned them into EA and EA of course did nothing
    b96a6288-80b2-4a90-b4f2-d0ff50a849e2.jpg~original

Origin gtgirl1999
    twitter @gtgirl_99
  • Options
    I don't know. I'm not a builder cause I'm awful at it. But what I do know is that builds are incredibly hard and can be tedious and it is never an easy feat, even for a video game. Builds can and tend to take hours to do, especially the intricate and really gorgeous ones and I know if I worked that hard on something, was nice enough to make it available for others to download and then saw it reuploaded with someone else passing it off as their own, I'd probably be pretty darn annoyed too.

Like, yes. EA gave everyone the tools to create the house but EA themselves still didn't create that house, so the logic of "well we're all technically stealing from EA" doesn't really work imo.

I mean, for me, it's like telling a writer whose work got plagiarized, "Well you didn't make that paper or typewriter or laptop, you just wrote on it, so technically it's not stealing."

My offense is taken with the hashtag. I know how long it takes to make things. Hey it takes a long time to remake them for your game.

In all honestly, (and I mean this in the nicest way possible) I wouldn't worry so much about the hashtag especially since you're not guilty of stealing. I'd be bothered more by why the hashtag is needed in the first place.

The original created by is on there put there by EA. So basically i do not see the need for the hashtag in the first place. Other very good creators do not have to use it. I am just going to skip bu those creators that use this tag and find just as good without it.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

I will say it again please read entire post as my issue is not re uploading things for credit. I do not condone someone passing someone elses work off as their own.
    I do not accuse you of doing it and did read that you do credit others. Also the CC thing, CC files cannot be uploaded to the Gallery period. I do think it is wrong for someone else to pass a creation made by someone else as wrong and think you would understand that given your background in teaching and you have had to grade on that. I don't think it is right to teach others that it is ok to do this. Because if anything it encourages future misbehaviors as shown by the Sims 3 store theft that just because someone else does it doesn't make it right. So no I will not support this lying and stealing. It is morally wrong even if it is not technically legally wrong. That is just something we are going to have to agree to disagree on. Yes I will report them when cases like that do happen and yes legally I can.
  • Options
    KeyserFn wrote: »
    I don't care if someone uses my sims for but for crying out loud change them example names and if you do that and reupload them that's fine but don't reupload them claim they are yours when it's clearly someone elses.Someone did that to me I turned them into EA and EA of course did nothing

I am not condoning someone downloading and taking credit for someone elses creation that is wrong on all levels. What my issue is a hashtag that does not need to be on a creation. Like i said from now on i am passing them by and going for one just as good (could be someone that has redone it and took credit) but at least they dont have the hashtag that i find offensive. So basically i m o the hashtag has basically made me move on to maybe a redone creation someone claimed for themselves. The hashtag is going to make me support what they think they can stop. I do not really think the hashtag deters anyone if they want to get credit for something they did not create they will do it.
  • Options
    KeyserFnKeyserFn Posts: 1,424 Member
    I don't know what hashtag thing your referring to don't care about it it's not a big deal to me that's just my opinion .You've made your opinion on it known I've read the thread

I am not condoning someone downloading and taking credit for someone elses creation that is wrong on all levels. What my issue is a hashtag that does not need to be on a creation. Like i said from now on i am passing them by and going for one just as good (could be someone that has redone it and took credit) but at least they dont have the hashtag that i find offensive. So basically i m o the hashtag has basically made me move on to maybe a redone creation someone claimed for themselves. The hashtag is going to make me support what they think they can stop. I do not really think the hashtag deters anyone if they want to get credit for something they did not create they will do it.

b96a6288-80b2-4a90-b4f2-d0ff50a849e2.jpg~original

Origin gtgirl1999
    twitter @gtgirl_99
  • Options

I do not accuse you of doing it and did read that you do credit others. Also the CC thing, CC files cannot be uploaded to the Gallery period. I do think it is wrong for someone else to pass a creation made by someone else as wrong and think you would understand that given your background in teaching and you have had to grade on that. I don't think it is right to teach others that it is ok to do this. Because if anything it encourages future misbehaviors as shown by the Sims 3 store theft that just because someone else does it doesn't make it right. So no I will not support this lying and stealing. It is morally wrong even if it is not technically legally wrong. That is just something we are going to have to agree to disagree on. Yes I will report them when cases like that do happen and yes legally I can.

As i said i do not condone anyone taking credit for someone elses work. That is wrong on all levels.
    However in that vain it is also wrong to make accusations on the post of stealing when in fact it is not being done and can be offensive to others and cause the effect i mentioned before. Since i will not be downloading anything with the hashtag stop stealing which means i am doing it stop it. I will most likly be downloading from someone who has taken credit for someone elses work so this hashtag has defeated its purpose and has made it worse as i not only keep the original creators name on the creationi
    I go into their gallery and favorite everything in there weither i use it or not.
  • Options
    I don't know what hashtag thing your referring to don't care about it it's not a big deal to me that's just my opinion .You've made your opinion on it known I've read the thread

Ok then thank you for posting i appreciate your input.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Yeah that is what I don't understand. Where is the consequence for doing this? Something does need to change in the Gallery and it does need to be moderated more. It really isn't a builder friendly feature right now. @EAMage any insight about increasing moderation there and what can be improved?
  • Options
    edited January 2018

As i said i do not condone anyone taking credit for someone elses work. That is wrong on all levels.
    However in that vain it is also wrong to make accusations on the post of stealing when in fact it is not being done and can be offensive to others and cause the effect i mentioned before. Since i will not be downloading anything with the hashtag stop stealing which means i am doing it stop it. I will most likly be downloading from someone who has taken credit for someone elses work so this hashtag has defeated its purpose and has made it worse as i not only keep the original creators name on the creationi
    I go into their gallery and favorite everything in there weither i use it or not.
    Ah ok, sorry for misunderstanding but either way with that mentality those that take other creations still win. I don't think they were meaning you when making the hashtags. I plan to do not to download from either of those things. I didn't even know it was a thing either until you mentioned it. It is scary as a builder uploading anything online because there is always the risk when doing so. Thankfully most people don't care for my builds. Now that I think about it, it is kind of nice I do add #MOO to my builds now because it does deter people who do the fast reuploading from downloading my creations more seeing that hashtag. They are like nope and move on. XD
    Post edited by Scobre on
  • Options
    JoeHumanJoeHuman Posts: 32 Member
    @jimmysnan and @Writin_Reg : Thank you!!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top