Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Did you pay full price for The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs and was it worth it?

SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
edited January 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
hPtVNfA.png

Did you pay full price for The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs and was it worth it? 98 votes

I paid full price for Cats & Dogs and it was worth it.
28%
auroraael14icmnfrshalan650111GoldenBuffysimgirl1010EmoFlowersalanmichael1LaineyBugPegasysashcrash19wild4simsthe_greenplumbobChrystalRubinInternal_ChaosLiELFTheGoodOldGamerMcFizzleShizzleSimTrippyOEII1001Giorgi 28 votes
I paid full price for Cats & Dogs and it was not worth it.
10%
AgathaUdimogeoffreypafullspiralFrancl27asouthernwriterjames64468simgameMorinGlory23Godleyjeans[Deleted User] 10 votes
I did not pay full price for Cats & Dogs and it was worth it.
50%
JeanLomelindi7missmani09Witchiriselanorbretondrake_mccartyg01denswanVageniuszagboorulesJennyggSk8rblazeemperorq52j3n1ynZenzikaBieberFever975TerraNomiko13QueenMercysillyangel0906Callianne74 49 votes
I did not pay full price for Cats & Dogs and it was not worth it.
11%
ehaught58LeGardePourprekeekee53chrstal27AnmirlaBagoas77NinoosimChadSims2SnowWolf58princess_kaguyaMeepMorp 11 votes

Comments

• simgamesimgame Posts: 538 Member
    I have not had many fun out of the game cause it ruined my computer. For some reasons this expension packs made many computers crash a lot during gameplay including mine.
    I can still play the sims 4 but I chose not to because I'm sick of the crashing.
    I'm sure I will love it tho when i get a new computer :tongue:
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    edited January 2018
    Oops. Clicked the wrong option. I paid $20 but think it's worth full price. :)
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited January 2018
    By default I don't like all Pets EP.
    Even if I exclude the main unique feature of this pack I find nothing interesting :

- The world: another lush world
    - CAS content: Nothing is awesome
    - Everyday life (no pet): nothing new

For example, Get Together I could play with new activities even if I don't use the Club system.
    In Get To Work, I had fun with the aliens without managing a Retail lot.
    With City Living, my sims could keep on living in Willow Creek and visit the festivals without moving in a San Myshuno apartment.

Cats & Dogs give no alternative gameplay, it's only "play with these pets".
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I actually love the expansion! The cats are the best they've ever done, the new town is gorgeous and a theme that I really wanted and is competing as one of my top favorites, the CAS has so many unique autumn styles and some of my favorite new hairstyles, and CAP is amazingly diverse. I even enjoyed the vet career more than I expected to. :)
    #Team Occult
  • Dayvon64Dayvon64 Posts: 493 Member
    To be honest all packs are worth it when it's not full price mostly because you don't have to pay as much. I will however say I was skeptical paying full price, more so because I am not invested in the Sims as much as I used to be. Then again I got all EPs when they were half off, however Cats and Dogs was so worth it half priced. It could have been better in terms of weaving into the other features. No Pets in Apartments is a big issue for some people and it would have been nice to reflect that or atleast give us some consequences for some of the apartments. It would have been cool to have Vets and Doctors integrated a bit as Doctors is a Career, but being a vet and running a Vet Clinic is not. Lastly, it would have been nice to see some kind of grouping with pets for those who'd want to do a Dog Walking service or even have a Mommy and Me, but with pets type of ordeal.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I got it 30% off, so basically I payed only for what I'm actually going to use: cats, dogs and the new world, but not the vet gameplay which i'm not interested in. I like how the game allows us to skip that part altogether by buying vet equipment for home use. It's a refreshing break from the general feeling of that there's a correct way to play the game.

So far I haven't encountered any uge annoyances other than pets not being integrated into the club system. For what it's worth with the control pets mod cats and dogs are able to found a club for themselves and their humans... (I didn't go through with that for fear of breaking something.)
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I definitely would not have bought it if I hadn’t gotten a new computer, but I did so I can finally have a sphynx cat (even if the kittens have fur).
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I got it on sale happily and yes it was worth it for me and the way I play. I won't be using pets in every family but it's already shown me that I can take them or leave them and they won't be a big neighborhood nuisance if I leave them. I know that sounds harsh but it was always my problem with prior packs (Sims and Sims 2) to the point that I would uninstall the Pets pack.
    I love the CAS options especially the huge variety of breeds available. The animals themselves are adorable and the animations are well done. The new world is great, different looking than the others it is a green world with a hint of autumn and strikes me as eclectic for some reason. I love the furniture. The hair is great especially that one curly female hair. Yes it gave me a fan girl moment.
    I have only played with cats so far, but actually wanted it for a sim I needed dogs for. There are so many traits that I'm not sure when I'm going to get to try them all. I'm glad I didn't buy it at full price.. not because it isn't worth it but because most of my families won't have pets. They will blend in well when I need them or it suits me.
    egTcBMc.png
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Pet care is very hard in this game. You have to be spending time with the pets all the time. The bugs are part of the problem.
    The Good Now you can be a veterinarian in the game. It fun for awhile. A new world to explore.
  • TheHavocadoTheHavocado Posts: 607 Member
    Ehhh it was worth it. I got these 'awww' and a bit good laugh from the word adventures.

In a nutshell, it felt like getting a lot of cat tax in The Sims. Already gotten bored of the animation, but it quite fills the gap between the linear worlds. So I guess it's worth it.
    Me, when triggered:
    CPwGluP.gif
    "All this negativity doesn't add up."
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited January 2018
    In fact, Cats & Dogs is almost an expensive Game Pack similar to Vampires GP + a standard world + an active career.

• VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member
    I didn't pay full price and it was worth it for that reason. I like to own businesses so the vet clinic was worth paying half price for the pack. I don't normally own pets in my game because I focus more of my time on single sims that have careers and date and hang out with friends/skill build. I pretty much paid for the vet clinic and since it was about the price of a GP, it was worth it. I wouldn't have paid full price for it since the cats and dogs aren't really my thing. I have messed around with owning some pets but idk I don't find it that exciting. I do have a breeder I was playing last week and that was kind of fun for a bit. Owning and running a vet clinic is fun though, that's the kind of thing I like to do in Sims.
  • GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    I was an idiot and paid full price, with 2 pounds off because I have prime but then that only put the total down to 32 pounds.

Saying it again, Cats and Dogs was not and will never worth the full price of a regular sims 4 expansion because of the clear reason that it is nothing more than a hyped up game pack with animated walking clutter.

Do I regret my decision? All the time.
    Would I have thought twice if I knew how lackluster it was? Of course.
    Am I enraged over the lack of respect EA have for its customers? You betcha.

Cats and Dogs is the biggest insult to Simmers since the Sims 4 itself was released, charging £30/$40 for a pack with as much content as your average £15 game pack and barely having any thing game changing within the actual functions.

We got toddlers free in a patch and they made many a simmers game more fun to play and that was FREE. Again I will say, FREE.

But for the best part of $40/£30 we had to buy something that adds 0 life to this game. Yes I know we didn't HAVE to purchase the pack, it's a personal choice but you understand what I mean in comparison to Toddlers (Adding actual gameplay and life) and Pets (Walking Clutter Objects).

Am I hating on this pack? No, But I feel it's fair to be able to complain about it's lacking contents and the virtual middle finger EA are delivering us. The pack could've easily been better, you could've added more, done more and experienced more if they'd spend a little extra time developing it instead of rushing the heap of code out to the masses.

If there's anyone deciding whether or not to buy this game, take it from someone whose had every pack since Sims 2, wait for the sales, or don't get it...or hint at family to buy it for you, can't hate whats free.
  • CalebFillionCalebFillion Posts: 293 Member
    yes and no but I am not the one to really go by as i think cats, dogs, horses, whatevers are a waste of time and space. LOL
  • heyitsissyyheyitsissyy Posts: 1 New Member
    I really am enjoying the sims cats and dogs just as i loved the sims 3 pets. I do miss the feature to create horses though and be able to control what your pet is doing
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    I have to admit that I was not going to buy C&D. But, when it went on sale for half price, I couldn’t help myself because I so badly needed more space to build on. However, after purchasing the pack, I wish I hadn’t. I am not happy with the layout of the lots in the world at all. Sure the world looks awesome, but it is so restrictive. You can’t visit half the world because it’s blocked off. From a builder’s point of view, it isn’t even worth it at half price.... in my opinion, of course.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I wish there was an option for full price and kinda worth it. lol Don't get me wrong, I was so excited when they announced the EP that I pre-ordered it. I'm enjoying the cats and dogs, and the few new food items (I LOVE any and all new foods added to the game!) But I was let down that pets aren't controllable. Thank goodness someone made a mod for that. I don't control their every move, but it's nice to see their stats and the like. I also wish we had some minor pets, like birds, hamsters, fish that actually need caring for, etc. But at least we have that in Sims 3.

As far as the new world goes. It's pretty, lovely even. But it makes me even more sad, looking at it's backdrop scenery, and I can't help but to think just how much more fun these worlds could be if they were open world, you could fish where ever you wanted, and the bodies of water were swimable.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    I received this pack as a gift. It was purchased for $20 dollars which I think was an appropriate price for what this pack has to offer. I am enjoying playing this very much but it is in noway worth the full price.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Paid half price. I feel the pack itself has an actual worth of 20 dollars (as opposed to full, 40).

Really, all of The Sims 4's expansions feel as if they should be 20 dollars. Really hope they will create a more solid base game with way more features if they're going to be charging 40 dollars for expansion packs again with TS5.
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I'm actually somewhere between worth it and not worth it.

I am not a big fan of pets in Sims games to begin with so I hadn't planned to buy the pack until it went on sale. I was able to get it half off on release day so I did buy it then. I still am not a fan of pets in a Sims game after Cats and Dogs so a big part the game play for me is useless. I'm not a huge fan of Brindleton Bay either. Its a pretty neighborhood, but it feels small and confining to me.

I do like the Vet career though. I like a lot of the Build/Buy items and a lot of the CAS items as well.

So for it me Cats and Dogs with worth maybe $15.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited January 2018
    For $20 (what I paid) it isn’t bad. It feels like a game pack, probably because the most in-depth part of it all is the Vet. Animals feel like the second ‘most important’ thing in the pack.

One thing that critically hurts the EP is the removal of player control, or at least player information panels. I know they went on and on about the AI for Dogs and Cats, but it’s not that good. Dogs route fail all the time, animals complain about being hungry when there is 3 full bowls of food within reach, dogs will sit and whine at the door for hours on end until you tell them to ‘go potty’. That last one is probably the worst design I have ever seen. A dog that isn’t house trained whining about wanting to go potty outside? So am I training them to walk through a door? Because clearly they are already housebroken. The fears/obsessions are annoying. Again, these are entirely decided by the game. Don’t want your dog to be afraid of the TV? Well nothing you can do about it. Don’t want your dog to be obsessed with the stove? Again, you’re out of luck.

There’s not much for pets to do. They are basically there for the player to look at which is about as engaging as watching a TV show on your Sims tv. Oh wait didn’t they push that gameplay too? When they added those horrid mixer screens with Movie Hangout Stuff to force people into watching in speed 1...?

Anywho, long post that wasn’t intended to be as long. Pets isn’t worth $40, and if the Vet isn’t your thing (it’s just like Dine Out) then you will probably not find much enjoyment from it. $20 didn’t leave me feeling robbed, which is good because I paid $18 for CL and felt totally ripped off with the final product.
  • LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    I won mine in a contest but even if I had bought it, I always wait for price drops on EPs. In terms of worth though, I quite enjoy it. I don't know if all my sims would have pets and I am making plans to get a new graphics card for the PC to run things a bit better, but thus far, I'm having fun with it. Protip: Ghost pets are so much easier to tend to...lol.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    It is so hard for me to judge this pack and that is why it not worth it for me. I haven't even played with the pets yet and already downloaded the no stray pets mod..lol

I am not really a Sim pet expansion pack fan and I wanted seasons more. Ninety percent of the time the stray pets annoyed me. I mean Sims 2 the dogs were digging holes in my yard and Sims 3 horses everywhere and under leaves millions of chipmunks and squirrels. The stray horses just should not have happened...lol I was going to totally skip the pack but I need space so I bought it for the world.

Vet Career is bleh for me. I never wanted to own my own animal hospital but I would have loved if it was an active career like doctor. I don't understand why they didn't think of those who just wanted to be a vet and not own anything.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I haven't paid full price for any expansion pack yet, in fact I got Cats and Dogs for a really good price, I had a gift card for a local video game retailer that had $27 on it, and used that to discount the full price off of Cats and Dogs and I gotta say it was completely worth it. I'm really enjoying the pack, the cats and dogs in this iteration are really well done and in my experience are a lot of fun.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I paid half price and it was not worth it I have no interest in active careers I hate the lot set ups with no sidewalks or street access so that only leaves me with cats and dogs watching them and interacting with them that's the content of this expansion for me. How I miss past Pets expansions that gave us pet stores horses and so much to do beyond looking at cats and dogs do stuff.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"