Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is Showtime worth it at all?

2...Next

Comments

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited January 2018
    Karritz wrote: »
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    @SimplyJen buying Expansions from eBay or any unauthorised reseller can very likely mean the purchaser will have the game blocked by EA. A huge number of people have recently lost their expansions purchased from places like eBay because EA never got paid for the codes in the first place so EA has been checking the codes and preventing people from using them. If a code is blocked like this it seems you can't just go out and buy a valid code because you already have the slot for that expansion used in your account but it is blocked. This means a lengthy chat with customer support who will hopefully release the slot.
    That's digital copies and yes I know. It's good to let others know but here is what I said:
    or you can grab a cheap physical copy through eBay or Amazon.
    Physical copy meaning not digital.

Are you certain it ONLY applies to digital copies?
    It should be obvious to the buyer if the product received was not legit. Unless the seller can reseal the copy perfectly and make a perfect fake book that has the printed serial code... A new sealed copy would be the same thing sold in stores. As for used, you run the risk of the code already being used/registered, no code, or an unreadable disk. Again, if it was a non-legit copy then the seller would have to print out a perfect fake book that has the printed serial code to fool the buyer.

When buying physical game copies through Amazon or eBay I look for good seller feedback/reputation and clear photos of the product. I don't normally buy used unless I can confirm 100% the booklet with serial code is included. It's not impossible that someone could craft such a perfect fake physical copy but that's a lot of effort and most people would catch on if they've ever purchased a physical game copy before. Resealing would be easy but the book would be hard to look legit.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    @SimplyJen buying Expansions from eBay or any unauthorised reseller can very likely mean the purchaser will have the game blocked by EA. A huge number of people have recently lost their expansions purchased from places like eBay because EA never got paid for the codes in the first place so EA has been checking the codes and preventing people from using them. If a code is blocked like this it seems you can't just go out and buy a valid code because you already have the slot for that expansion used in your account but it is blocked. This means a lengthy chat with customer support who will hopefully release the slot.
    That's digital copies and yes I know. It's good to let others know but here is what I said:

It should be obvious to the buyer if the product received was not legit. Unless the seller can reseal the copy perfectly and make a perfect fake book that has the printed serial code... A new sealed copy would be the same thing sold in stores. As for used, you run the risk of the code already being used/registered, no code, or an unreadable disk. Again, if it was a non-legit copy then the seller would have to print out a perfect fake book that has the printed serial code to fool the buyer.

When buying physical game copies through Amazon or eBay I look for good seller feedback/reputation and clear photos of the product. I don't normally buy used unless I can confirm 100% the booklet with serial code is included. It's not impossible that someone could craft such a perfect fake physical copy but that's a lot of effort and most people would catch on if they've ever purchased a physical game copy before. Resealing would be easy but the book would be hard to look legit.

I was under the impression that the items being blocked were simply not paid for when bulk orders were purchased. I have no idea how that might have happened.

I did buy a sealed copy of a disk from Amazon before all of this issue occurred and people were finding their games were no longer available to them on Origin. Fortunately is was just a disk to replace my digital copy I had already bought from Origin. And I am also fortunate in that I have an old base game so I don't need to have Origin on my computer to play the game. But people who do have to use Origin to get into their game will be caught if there is any issue with the code regardless of how it was purchased or if it is digital or disk.
    edited January 2018

I was under the impression that the items being blocked were simply not paid for when bulk orders were purchased. I have no idea how that might have happened.

I did buy a sealed copy of a disk from Amazon before all of this issue occurred and people were finding their games were no longer available to them on Origin. Fortunately is was just a disk to replace my digital copy I had already bought from Origin. And I am also fortunate in that I have an old base game so I don't need to have Origin on my computer to play the game. But people who do have to use Origin to get into their game will be caught if there is any issue with the code regardless of how it was purchased or if it is digital or disk.
    The codes being pulled were digital codes from unathurized sellers. Sellers were buying codes in bulk... some may have known they were stolen and others may not of. The idea is someone with a fraudulent credit card buys a bunch of digital codes and sells them. Eventually, this is revealed to the company and the codes are voided. Accounts with these now used codes are affected.

If someone has a problem with a physical copy, they can contact EA and they will ask for picture proof of the game & serial code booklet. It gets sorted from there. EA will issue that person a digital copy since Origin no longer ships out physical copies.

• GREENEYAGREENEYA Posts: 7,796 Member
    KNORear wrote: »
    In all honesty I’m not super eager to get it, but I do want to look into more custom worlds and most require Showtime to run. So is the expansion fun at all or should I stick to the custom worlds that don’t require it. If the latter is true do you guys have recommendations for player-made worlds that don’t require Showtime? I currently have Plumgrove downloaded so far, but that’s it.

It is one of my least favorite expansions. But every expansion is worth it. Every expansion will make your game more fun. Genies are my favorite part of the game. New world is fun. I really like new objects, clothes and hairstyles from this expansion.
    I'd like to add that I'm currently playing the LEPacy challenge. Basically, each generation I unlock an expansion pack upon completing their LTW. The next one I have to unlock will be Showtime. All though I gave it a positive recommendation, it's still not in my top favorites. So it surprised me how much I want to enable this pack again for Generation 7. I'm missing pretty much all of those minor details I mentioned before but mainly pool tables! :D Yes, University includes one as well but I'll be unlocking Showtime first since I'm doing this in release order. It's like getting excited about a pack release all over again only this time I know exactly what I'm missing out on. In my sims current house, I already have areas reserved for Showtime content. My heir hasn't even come close to finishing his LTW unfortunately because I just started on Generation 6.

OP you mentioned it's hard to find custom worlds when you're missing some packs and the same can be said about residential and community lots. At least with those you can still replace whatever you don't have easily... Worlds are a bit different depending on what you're missing.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    GREENEYA wrote: »
    KNORear wrote: »
    In all honesty I’m not super eager to get it, but I do want to look into more custom worlds and most require Showtime to run. So is the expansion fun at all or should I stick to the custom worlds that don’t require it. If the latter is true do you guys have recommendations for player-made worlds that don’t require Showtime? I currently have Plumgrove downloaded so far, but that’s it.

It is one of my least favorite expansions. But every expansion is worth it. Every expansion will make your game more fun. Genies are my favorite part of the game. New world is fun. I really like new objects, clothes and hairstyles from this expansion.
    This.

(not a fan of Starlight Shores by the way)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've managed to disable most of the Showtime performers showing up in Register though the forced role assignments that came with installing Ambitions still drives me crazy and has me wanting a tuning Mod to disable the forced automated role assignments from Ambitions so I'd no longer get waiters assigned to ITTF food replicators unless I assigned them with NRaas Register manually.
    I've never had townies getting forced into any of the Showtime careers unless I directed them to enter one of them while playing their household.I found each of the packs in the entire collection to be well worth the money I spent on it.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    My favorite sim was a magician so, who knows, yours might be too!
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    One thing I really want to have in one of my videos is an acrobat performing in my Magic Gnomes Magical Treasure Park. It has a big tent from the Carousel set. There is a big Showtime stage inside and I used to have the most amazing performances in that tent. I've only ever had one acrobat sim that I have played and has performed on a Showtime stage. It is well worth watching.
  • xHeliodoraxHeliodora Posts: 146 Member
    It didn't add much to my game.
  • dogdancerdogdancer Posts: 447 Member

The TS3 base game and subsequent expansions, are all on physical disc. Most if not all of my expansions are used and from Amazon and I've has absolutely no problem installing and playing them. I would recommend getting them from Amazon used for cheap.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2018
    dogdancer wrote: »

The TS3 base game and subsequent expansions, are all on physical disc. Most if not all of my expansions are used and from Amazon and I've has absolutely no problem installing and playing them. I would recommend getting them from Amazon used for cheap.
    I'm afraid that's not really such great advice for everyone.

The benefit of buying new factory sealed discs and not used, if you can still find them, is that with new the player can register them and switch over to digital installs by way of Origin should the need ever arise. If they already have an Origin managed game because their base-game disc was manufactured after Sept. 2012, then the used discs aren't going to do them much good as Origin will not recognize the player as having a right to play them. Further, EA's customer support will be no help if something goes wrong with the player's account on their end as the rights to run the game are not transferable.

Or of course the player can purchase and install through Origin or Steam, in which case discs aren't needed.

Used discs will work out well for some players in some situations where Origin does not come into play or for where they merely needed replacement install media for a game that's already registered to them in the past, but not so much for others.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • EmperorDittoEmperorDitto Posts: 128 Member
    If you like genies then it well worth it.
  • equiiaddictequiiaddict Posts: 24 Member
    I like Showtime, it's a fun expansion pack and you get a lot of new clothing out of it which is cool. It's worth it, imo.
  • mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member
    Showtime is probably the least played of my EP's, but it has some qualities to it that made it worth getting for me.