Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**UPDATED FOR SEASONS** Big Family, Little House Challenge

Hello all!

I had an idea for a challenge that involves having a full house of sims in a starter home, and this is what I came up with. Let me know what you think! I've completed one playthrough as a test, and I think it works well, but I'm always open to suggestions! And I'd love to hear how people play this challenge, so if you're going to try it out, let me know!

Rules

Objective: Have an 8 sim family live happy and productive lives in a starter home.

Before You Play:

Create an 8 sim family with the following age breakdown:
- 2 Adults/YA sims (They don’t have to be married. They could be adult siblings, friends, or total strangers.)
- 2 Teens
- 2 Children
- 2 Toddlers

Gender doesn’t matter.

Any personality traits can be used.

Must be human sims! No aliens, vampires, or pets.

Set lifespan to normal.

** If you have Seasons, you can select any season to start. Each season must be 7 days long.

Move the family into any of the following starter homes:
Willow Creek:
- Streamlet Single
- Crick Cabana
- Daisy Hovel

Oasis Springs:
- Sandtrap Flat
- Nookstone
- Agave Abode

Windenburg:
- Proprietor’s Square
- Havisham House
- Rustic Residence

San Myshuno:
- 17 Culpepper House
- 18 Culpepper House
- 19 Culpepper House
- 1313 21 Chic Street

Brindleton Bay:
- Bedlington Boathouse

If you have City Living, you must add the following three traits to your lot:
- Cursed
- Grody
- Gremlins

If the lot you’re moving into has traits that can’t be removed, pick from the three traits above to fill the remaining trait slots
- If you don’t have City Living, no lot traits can be used.

When you move in, you must select the “Furnished” option.

**If you have Seasons, you must give the house a thermostat before deleting your family’s money. On days where the weather is hot or a heatwave, you must set it to cool. Likewise, on days that are cold or freezing, you must set it to warm. If it’s warm or cool outside, you can leave the thermostat off.

Once your family has moved in, remove their money by typing “testingcheats on” and then “money 0” in the cheat window.

Gameplay:

Building & Buying
Your first goal is to get enough money to buy enough beds for each of your 8 sims to be able to sleep at the same time.
- Tents are not allowed.
- Once your toddlers age up, you may delete the toddler beds and purchase a bed that’s suitable for a child.
- Couches and loveseats are fine for naps, but do not count towards the bed count.
- In order to keep your sims safe, all beds must be placed inside of the house.

You are not permitted to delete any of the pre-existing objects (furniture, lights, plants, decorations, etc.) inside or outside of the house. Think of the furniture and decorations as rentals that don’t belong to your sims.
- If you need the space, you must place the objects into your household inventory.
- Items that are purchased by your sims (anything that didn’t come with the house) may be deleted/sold.

You are not permitted to move or alter any exterior walls, doors, or windows. Moving interior walls (similar to what is permitted in apartments) is okay.

Skill building objects may be placed outside.

Money
Sims who are YA and older are not allowed to have full time jobs or business ownership (i.e. shops, restaurants, vet clinics).

Teen sims can get a part time job to help contribute to the family once they have earned an A in high school.
- If their grade drops below an A, they must quit their job until they have gotten their A back.
- Once they age up to YA, they must quit their part time job. They are not allowed to have any other job for the duration of the challenge.

Success and Winning!
Your second goal is to have all of the offspring in the house earn an A in high school and elementary school, including the two toddlers.
- The two sims who start off as teens are obviously not going to be able to earn an A in elementary school.

Sims are allowed to purchase reward traits as long as all other sims in that age range have enough points to purchase it as well.
- This gets tricky once teens and children age up to YA, so you may want to consider checking out any reward traits before a birthday happens.

No sims are allowed to move out or in. If a vacancy occurs due to the death of a sim, that spot must remain open until the end of the challenge.

The challenge ends when the two youngest sims (the ones who started as toddlers) age up to young adult.

Scoring:

Purchase all 8 bed spots:

o Day 1: 7 pts
o Day 2: 6 pts
o Day 3: 5 pts
o Day 4: 4 pts
o Day 5: 3 pts
o Day 6: 2 pts
o Day 7: 1 pt
o Day 8+: 0 pts

- If your toddlers age up before all 8 bed spots have been purchased, then you must buy the two toddler beds needed for the former toddlers before you are able to earn points for this task (resulting in 10 total bed spots purchased, although you can sell the two unnecessary toddler beds after you purchase them). If all 8 bed spots were purchased before the toddlers age up, then you may count from the day in which you had originally bought all 8 bed spots.

If your toddler maxes out a toddler skill: 1 pt/skill/toddler

If your child has an A in elementary school when they age up: 1 pt/child

If your teen has an A in high school when they age up: 1 pt/teen

If your teen has a job when they age up: 1 pt/teen

** If you have Seasons, your sims will earn 1 pt/badge they earn through Scouting.

If any sim dies from causes besides old age: -10 pts/sim

If any sim is removed from the home due to neglect: -10 pts/sim

For every 10,000 simoleans in the household at the time of the youngest sim’s birthday, add 10 points

For every aspiration (including children) completed, add 5 points/sim/aspiration.

Have fun!
Check out my YouTube channel!
You can find me on the gallery at MrsTomato1018!
You can find me on Twitter @MrsTomato1018!
Post edited by MrsTomato1018 on

Comments

• ZilogManZilogMan Posts: 57 Member
    This looks fun. Question - are outbuildings allowed, and if so, what may they contain ? Example, an outdoor toilet , or craft room?
    Can objectmover cheat be used to create bunk beds?
    @MrsTomato1018 OK, I'm at the end of day 6 and I finally got 8 beds in ! We still haven't bought an Easel, Workbench or Computer and I've not travelled out the neighborhood. School is going ok though.

I've been writing a story and been taking regular pictures, but as a new member I can't upload them and I don't think you want to see a "wall of text!". If you want to look at how I solved the problem of getting everything to fit (it was hard !) look on the gallery under #bigfamilylittlehousechall

The family I'm playing with is most easily found by looking up my Origin ID, Z80Blake ("Owens 2" is the household)
  • MrsTomato1018MrsTomato1018 Posts: 400 Member
    ZilogMan wrote: »
    This looks fun. Question - are outbuildings allowed, and if so, what may they contain ? Example, an outdoor toilet , or craft room?
    Can objectmover cheat be used to create bunk beds?

Outbuildings aren't allowed, but you can place skill building objects outside. In my mind, I'm viewing the house in this challenge as a rental. Typically landlords frown on building new structures on their lots. Bunk beds are totally fine, and in some lots, probably necessary! :)

I'll check out your house/family when I get into the game later! I'm very curious, and I hope you're enjoying the challenge! Getting all 8 beds by day 6 can be hard, so kudos to you!
  • flintylime59flintylime59 Posts: 70 Member
    Oh my goodness, I can't imagine trying to do this challenge while also having all three of those lot traits (gremlins, cursed, AND grody!!) I will probably fail miserably, but I might actually give it a shot!
    "Embrace your flaws, work on your flaws, and don't be ashamed of having any flaws."

-Felix Kjellberg
    > @flintylime59 said:
    > Oh my goodness, I can't imagine trying to do this challenge while also having all three of those lot traits (gremlins, cursed, AND grody!!) I will probably fail miserably, but I might actually give it a shot!

I don't have that expansion but those traits sound interesting, I might now buy it !

For me, by far the hardest thing was taking care of two toddlers. There just aren't enough hours in the day to bath, potty and feed them !

After getting a couple of beds for the toddlers, the very next things i had to buy were a potty and bathtub.

In an apartment like this, you also want to try get the toilet, bath and shower in separate areas ASAP so they can be used simultaneously without embarrassment. You don't have to completely enclose the areas if you can't afford the walls and doors - if you get creative with wall sections, you can block line of sight to avoid most privacy violations..
  • gaeadaragaeadara Posts: 3 New Member
    I LOVE this challenge! I was up to early hours doing it. I’ll upload my results on my Simstagram page “ sims_4_christian_family”. I should be able to load it later today.
    For anyone who's interested, I've started a series of this challenge on my YouTube channel! You can check it out here:

• feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    This looks an awesome challenge. I will try this, but I don't like keeping points, I just want to see if I can do it.
    This looks an awesome challenge. I will try this, but I don't like keeping points, I just want to see if I can do it.

That's cool! The points don't really matter. They're just for fun if people like to see how they did. Let me know how it goes!
  • caitybee73caitybee73 Posts: 121 Member
    I love your challenge! I just started it and it's tons of fun.
    A question - what about max adult skills? Are any points assigned for those?
    caitybee73 wrote: »
    I love your challenge! I just started it and it's tons of fun.
    A question - what about max adult skills? Are any points assigned for those?

I'm glad you like it!

I decided to not assign points for maxing out adult skills (or child skills) because there are quite a few aspirations that require maxing out skills, so to me that felt like double dipping. Toddlers only get points for maxing out skills because they have no aspirations.

Let me know how your playthrough goes!
    Hey everyone! I updated the challenge for Seasons! The new additions are in bold. Have fun!
  • HannahCTHannahCT Posts: 10 New Member
    I started this a week or so ago and I think it's going okay so far - even if the large family is proving difficult to manage at times and the lot traits are a pain.

A trip to the park with the adults and teens all fishing and collecting whilst the kids worked on their aspirations and the toddlers worked on their skills (via babbling to themselves and each other, wandering, and using the 'what's that?' interaction on various things to gain thinking skill) helped me get all 8 bed spots on day 1. Starting in Agave abode with 3 bed spots already provided definitely helped out as well.

By the end of day 2 I definitely had a bath tub and a potty, and soon afterwards I had three bathrooms - one with a toilet, one a shower and one the bath. The sink is in the general living space not far from the bathrooms to minimise sims walking in on each other. Some of the next items I bought were a set of building blocks and a wooden car for the toddlers, a child's activity table so the kids could get started on their creative aspiration and the trash can that gives you $10 per sim in the house for every piece of trash you put in it. The trash can is expensive but with a full house of sims you can get $80 per empty plate, so I've been stopping my sims from doing the washing up and dragging the plates into the trash whenever I can.

In the early days I kept having problems with every single thing on the lot that could break doing so simultaneously when all the sims were asleep, but after that happened to me twice I started getting my sims to sleep in shifts (primarily the adults as they don't have to go to school) so that there was always someone awake overnight. That seems to have solved the problem of stuff breaking and having the sims on different sleep schedules means that I get some time when I can actually focus on a smaller number of sims and things are easier to manage than when I have to keep track of everyone. It does make family trips anywhere much harder though - when I sent them all to the library on Saturday one adult brought a camp bed along and just slept whilst everyone else built skills or worked on their aspirations.

The first of my toddlers has just aged up with all 5 toddler skills maxed (just - I didn't throw him a birthday party and the game forced the age up only a few sim hours after I'd sent him to bed absolutely exhausted having stayed up to finish mastering the last skill). I made him Independent since I knew my adult (and teen) sims would be busy trying to fulfil aspirations and make money, and the faster skill gains and happy moodlet really helped with him mastering all the skills.

His supposedly twin sister has a birthday one day after him and she isn't quite done with her skills yet, but the three she hasn't quite mastered yet are all at least halfway through level 4 so with the extra day to finish off I might even have time to age her up with a cake to avoid the sad moodlet. That will mean either using the crappy oven for the first time (my sims have been surviving on Autumn salad, fruit salad, quick meals and stuff grilled at the park) or buying a better one. I've already upgraded the fridge to get rid of all the negative moodlets from poor quality food in addition to moodlets caused by the lot traits, but I was scared to use the oven at the beginning in case it started a fire and killed one of my sims.

The kids and teens have all got 4 or 5 scout badges and made progress through some aspirations (I assumed that the ban on teens having part time jobs before they were A students didn't apply to scouts, since it doesn't bring in money and if they had begun as children they would still be in scouts when they aged up). All four of them are currently B students at school with another school week to turn those Bs into As and for the kids to complete all four child aspirations. I've been having some major problems with the teens in particular getting tense from low fun, but I've finally bought a computer (primarily because I need the kids to practice typing for their motor aspiration and it's a nightmare getting the whole family to go anywhere together) so that ought to help. I also have two easels, a chess table, a telescope and a set of monkey bars.

In the first few days of the challenge I was making money from fishing, collecting and gardening but now I have some easels (and bought the 'marketable' reward trait for each of the adults) I've switched the main money making to painting for the time being. Maybe now I've got the computer I'll also get started on writing some books. My aim is to complete as many aspirations as possible, so when my adult sims finish their painting and fishing aspirations they'll probably start making money in new ways. Right now, they have about $5000 simoleons, but the first set of bills are due very soon and although both adults have the 'frugal' reward trait I also had to use the thermostat quite a bit and having sims up at all hours has probably been rather bad for the electricity bill.
  • franniiiefranniiie Posts: 1 New Member
    But late to the party but hadn't been on sims for a while and fancied trying a challenge!

I've literally just started playing but I got lucky with the fishing and pulled out a voodoo doll worth $950 so managed to buy toddler beds, a new bed and a bath! I had a really bad first day managing their needs and the toddlers went down to red. Once I got the beds and a toy they started going back up.

Never done one with 8 sims so that's challenge enough for me so far! Enjoying it though :smile: