Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The "Welcome to the Blogesphere" Reading Circle (looking for members)

StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
Welcome to the Blogeshpere

This is a reading circle based around blog style stories.

Blog Style Story: A sims story in which the chapters are treated as blog posts written by one or more of the main characters with them speaking directly to the audience as though they were blogging about their lives.

My main idea behind this circle is to have multiple people writing stories like this and then interacting with each others stories as the sims from their own blogs. Sort of a community of characters who are all writing their own blogs and interacting with other sims blogs as well.

Basic Rules

Don't worry we're not going to get to bogged down by rules but the basic set up is fairly simple:

1. Read and comment on the other members stories. There is no drastic rush we understand that things like real life can get in the way so as long as you make a genuine effort to keep up as you are able then you are fine.

2. Be courteous to the other writers in the group. Yes part of a reading circle is criticism and as such not all comments are necessarily going to be glowing praise. But if you do choose to offer constructive criticism of another writer's story please keep it constructive and polite. Nobody likes to be told that they are doing something wrong but it's a pill that's a lot easier to swallow when delivered respectfully. At the same time don't feel like you have to criticize something. At least in my experience forced criticism as a result of feeling like you have to criticize something is rarely much help and just ends up putting more stress on the writer than anything else

3. Enjoy yourself. Writing should be fun, and games should be fun. Life can be stressful enough without your hobby/entertainment time being overly stressful as well.

4. Lurkers and people who want to jump in and comment on the stories are welcome to join in on discussing the members stories but please follow the above rules as well.

5. Since the idea of these kind of stories is to treat the blogs as though they are from the sims themselves please keep comments/discussion of the stories here and use the comment section of the blogs for comments that likewise behave as though it's someone's blog (unless stated otherwise by the writer).

Members

1. @AuroraLockwood - No Shame
  • Genre: Family Life, drama, celebrity
  • Content Warning: Content warning: Mature themes and some potentially suggestive content
  • Synopsis: You can’t keep your privacy in the spotlight, that is the simple rule of fame. The second you step out onto that stage you are presenting yourself to the world, and you better be ready to face whatever the world has to throw at you. If that’s not for you then by all means get out now, but if you choose to stay then you better have No Shame.
  • House Rules: If you participate in the comments on my blog please avoid mentioning game mechanics or sims related aspects. I prefer to treat my characters a though they are in a real world as opposed to characters in a game.

2. @CathyTea - Zuki Suzuki
  • Genre: Family Life, drama (very mild), quirky, modified alien adoption challenge
  • Content Warning: There's bound to be some esoteric stuff and environmental/political themes with a liberal bent
  • Synopsis: Mizuki Suzuki was just your average handy-person: Smart, funny, quirky, and talented at fixing speakers that spark and dishwashers that leak. When her client Meadow McCumber turned her best friend, Mizuki's dream of teaching little kids returned. Now, she's rooming with Meadow and Meadow's adopted daughter. Through one of Meadow's pen pals, the room-mates learn of a refugee child needing a home. Welcome home, Zuki Suzuki! You'll learn all about Zuki, the other family members, and neighbors in Mizuki's Mommy(ish) blog!
  • House Rules: I welcome both comments from readers as readers--and fictional reader-comments, that is, comments directed to Mizuki from fictional readers.

Post edited by StoriedStorm on

Comments

• StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    reserved for reading circle use
    reserved for reading circle use
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Right-to! I'm in! :)

2. @CathyTea - Zuki Suzuki - https://cathytea.wordpress.com/zuki-suzuki/
    Genre: Family Life, drama (very mild), quirky, modified alien adoption challenge
    Content Warning: There's bound to be some esoteric stuff and environmental/political themes with a liberal bent
    Synopsis: Mizuki Suzuki was just your average handy-person: Smart, funny, quirky, and talented at fixing speakers that spark and dishwashers that leak. When her client Meadow McCumber turned her best friend, Mizuki's dream of teaching little kids returned. Now, she's rooming with Meadow and Meadow's adopted daughter. Through one of Meadow's pen pals, the room-mates learn of a refugee child needing a home. Welcome home, Zuki Suzuki! You'll learn all about Zuki, the other family members, and neighbors in Mizuki's Mommy(ish) blog!
    House Rules: I welcome both comments from readers as readers--and fictional reader-comments, that is, comments directed to Mizuki from fictional readers.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    CathyTea wrote: »

Genre: Family Life, drama (very mild), quirky, modified alien adoption challenge
    Content Warning: There's bound to be some esoteric stuff and environmental/political themes with a liberal bent
    Synopsis: Mizuki Suzuki was just your average handy-person: Smart, funny, quirky, and talented at fixing speakers that spark and dishwashers that leak. When her client Meadow McCumber turned her best friend, Mizuki's dream of teaching little kids returned. Now, she's rooming with Meadow and Meadow's adopted daughter. Through one of Meadow's pen pals, the room-mates learn of a refugee child needing a home. Welcome home, Zuki Suzuki! You'll learn all about Zuki, the other family members, and neighbors in Mizuki's Mommy(ish) blog!
    House Rules: I welcome both comments from readers as readers--and fictional reader-comments, that is, comments directed to Mizuki from fictional readers.

@CathyTea Welcome :) You are all set up in the top post. I've currently got your title set to your characters name if you would like a specific title instead for the story just let me know.

@CathyTea Welcome :) You are all set up in the top post. I've currently got your title set to your characters name if you would like a specific title instead for the story just let me know.

Thanks, Aurora! The story name is Zuki Suzuki! :smiley:

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!

Thanks, Aurora! The story name is Zuki Suzuki! :smiley:

@CathyTea Fair enough. Just for reference since the character is also part of your alien adoption challenge story are the blog style posts going to be in their own section or intermixed?
    I have two alien adoption challenge stories--this one is its own, Zuki Suzuki. There may be some cross-overs, and there will certainly be cross-overs with the pen pal project, but it's got its own Table of Contents (which is what I linked to). It shouldn't be necessary to read the cross-overs to be able to make sense of the Mizuki's blog.

Oh... clarification: Zuki Suzuki started as Mizuki's journal--but she'll be writing future entries as a Mommy(ish) blog.

Oh... clarification: Zuki Suzuki started as Mizuki's journal--but she'll be writing future entries as a Mommy(ish) blog.

@CathyTea Understood :)
  • Piazzagirl1015Piazzagirl1015 Posts: 2,500 Member
    @AuroraLockwood Hi I started a project which I was thinking of writing it like diary post written by the main character but this really sounds like a fun idea so if it is ok with you I would like to give it a try?
    @AuroraLockwood Hi I started a project which I was thinking of writing it like diary post written by the main character but this really sounds like a fun idea so if it is ok with you I would like to give it a try?

@Piazzagirl1015 Absolutely :smiley: To join the reading circle just message me the story name, link to the story, genre, a basic synopsis, and any house rules you want for your comments and I will get you added to the listing (or you can post it here in the thread if you prefer). And if you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be happy to help as best I can.
    @AuroraLockwood Thank you so much for letting me join up. I went over the rules on your blog so I think I have an understanding on how this works. I probably will have some questions as I go along. I need to move things around on my blog and I should have the story specifics ready to post tomorrow or Monday at the latest.
    edited January 2018
    @AuroraLockwood Thank you so much for letting me join up. I went over the rules on your blog so I think I have an understanding on how this works. I probably will have some questions as I go along. I need to move things around on my blog and I should have the story specifics ready to post tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

@Piazzagirl1015 Just to point out some of the rules on my blog aren't required for blog style stories in general. The only real rule for a blog style story is that the posts be written in the form of a character (or characters) writing a blog.

Other things like my extra posts and not mentioning mechanics are more just my personal style with it/guidelines for people that comment on my story. So feel free to put your own spin on how you want to handle your version of a blog style story and as long as it fits that basic premise of being written like a character blogging then you're good.
    @AuroraLockwood Actually I just read your blog to see how you do it plus if this is a reading circle I do want to participate in every aspect including reading and commenting on other blogs. The fact of commenting on other blogs in character seems very interesting and sounds like fun. You have to get into their heads and respond like they would which helps with character development.

As far as the rules I will most likely be making my own variation while still keeping with the main theme. I already know of one thing I do need to change. Since my main character will have many goals to complete I know I have to make some kind of checklist which would fall under game mechanics. I actually need that for my own records which I was going to post below the blog post but now I'm wondering if I should make a separate page for it.
    @AuroraLockwood Actually I just read your blog to see how you do it plus if this is a reading circle I do want to participate in every aspect including reading and commenting on other blogs. The fact of commenting on other blogs in character seems very interesting and sounds like fun. You have to get into their heads and respond like they would which helps with character development.

As far as the rules I will most likely be making my own variation while still keeping with the main theme. I already know of one thing I do need to change. Since my main character will have many goals to complete I know I have to make some kind of checklist which would fall under game mechanics. I actually need that for my own records which I was going to post below the blog post but now I'm wondering if I should make a separate page for it.

@Piazzagirl1015 If you ever want to practice responding as a character I recommend the respond as your sim thread over in the off topic forum. It's a nice little diversion and is great for getting inside your characters head.
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Sign me up! :)
    The Harms Family Antics- Simtown15- Can I post it here? If not, I’ll make a site and add a link tomorrow or something.
    Rating: PG
    Genre: Family life, possibly drama later.
    Synopsis: Meet the Harms family. There’s Krystle, the painter and mother. Andy, who’s a dad by day and mixologist by night. Then come the twins. Annie is the responsible twin, finishing her homework and getting A’s. She can also be kind of rude sometimes. Christopher is the... more reckless one. And he’s gay. (Please note that the story will mainly focus on the kids.)
    House rules: Please don’t harass anyone, even the characters.
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    The Harms Family Antics- Simtown15- Can I post it here? If not, I’ll make a site and add a link tomorrow or something.
    Synopsis: Meet the Harms family. There’s Krystle, the painter and mother. Andy, who’s a dad by day and mixologist by night. Then come the twins. Annie is the responsible twin, finishing her homework and getting A’s. She can also be kind of rude sometimes. Christopher is the... more reckless one. And he’s gay. (Please note that the story will mainly focus on the kids.)

@Simtown15 You would need your own blog or forum thread.
    Simtown15 wrote: »

@Simtown15 You would need your own blog or forum thread.

I’ll make a forum thread later then.
    So I’ve realized I need a Wordpress account to make comments outside of the forums. I don’t have one and I’m too lazy to make one.
  • elifdapetonelifdapeton Posts: 217 Member
    edited January 2018
    I don't know this is a genre. Here I am thinking that I was the first one to do it. Sign me up. My story is in my signature.
    Content warning: Mature content
    Synopsis: (I'm bad at making synopsis) It's a legacy and the person is writing a blog about the legacy.
    Genre: Comedy, Drama, Science Fiction kind of, etc.
    House Rules: You can only ask questions to the character, other types of comments will go to me the real author.
    Post edited by elifdapeton on
    peoples%2Blegacy.gif
    Peoples Legacy
    | Legacy Challenge Story. 18+
    @CathyTea @Simtown15 @elifdapeton

Sorry to announce this especially since a couple of you just joined but I am going to be stepping away from the forums for a bit for health reasons. If any of you would like to take over the reading circle and keep it going feel free but with how things have been going for me the last few days I just don't feel like I can really keep up with what would be necessary for the reading circles I'm in or my own stories.

Sorry again but I just wanted to give you all the heads up.
    @AuroraLockwood I'm very sorry to hear this and I hope that you will get well soon.
    Get well soon , @AuroraLockwood ! You know I'll be happy to welcome you back when you return !