Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[Leaked!] The Sims 4: Jungle Adventures GP Speculation

Comments

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    NikNak wrote: »
    If we do get explorable tombs, I get this feeling that the way they're going to try and sell it is by using the community.

I can hear the condescending voice-over woman now:

"..AND WITH THE GALLERY, YOU'LL NEVER RUN OUT OF TOMBS TO EXPLORE! WITH YOUR CREATIVITY YOU CAN CREATE YOUR VERY OWN AMAZING TOMBS TO SHARE WITH THE WORLD! *insert corny joke about skeletons here*"

I actually could see a great benefit from the gallery here.
    WA for me lost replay-ability because my brain memorized the puzzles on the first run through.
    And you can't exactly be surprised by your own puzzles.

Still loved WA and would be thrilled to see something similar.

The problem is that the peer-to-peer feature packs always always ALWAYS bomb. The gallery is different because it's just there if you want to browse. Requiring the gallery to complete a pack is a different thing entirely, and it's exactly why packs like Showtime are hated.

Let's assume for a second that akin to Outdoor Retreat, this pack has an aspiration that more or less outlines all of the content of the pack and demands you explore it. Tell me honestly: if you're planning a vacation for your Sim, do you want to thumb through the gallery to find 5+ usermade dungeons to download and try out, and repeat that step each and every time you have a sim revisit the location, all just for a brief, temporary vacation and the completion of an aspiration...?

An issue is that the dungeon is already previewed before you download, thus you've seen it and know what to do before you've even begun. On top of that, eventually you don't have that same passion for wanting to make it new and exciting and you just want a quick vacation, so you stop bothering with downloading new ones each time. After all, your focus is the end goal or the vacation itself, not dedicating 30 minutes each time to strictly thumbing through the gallery just to find doable dungeons.

Some users play in offline mode because it gives better performance. Will this be a nuisance for them to have to log in every time they want to refresh their dungeons? Forced online gameplay is another matter too, if it went that far. I doubt it does though unless they've been drinking or something, since EA itself has been harmed by the backlash against forced online gameplay. (RIP SimCity)

Overall, making it a selling point that you can download other people's dungeon designs...? That just sounds like reliance on the community to complete the pack that you didn't complete. Yes, once or twice it'd be nice to mix things up and experience new dungeons, but the desire to download new ones would drop off pretty quick, I imagine.

That's also why I said I'd expect that if anything, they have an automated dungeon randomizer. That way the job is quick and automatic, doesn't have spoilers, and doesn't demand community interaction that many players loathe....but for all we know it's just five lots with five dungeons.

If players are able to customize their own tombs, highlighting this feature doesn't mean it's "reliance on the community to complete the pack that you didn't complete". Building is a valid and popular gameplay style. Adding customizable lots of any type caters to builders who build their own lots as well as those who share them on the community.

Sharing and downloading restaurants is very popular on the gallery. My restaurant lots are definitely my most popular downloads. But does that mean the ability to share your restaurants on the gallery was advertised as a major feature of Dine Out? Nope. And the ability to use the gallery didn't take away from my enjoyment of the pack at all - in fact, it's incredibly enhanced it because as a builder, I am motivated to share my creations with others.

Similarly, many players already have a gameplay style that involves taking some time to search the gallery for restaurants, townies, houses, and other lots. I find that an enjoyable part of my world building, as do many others. If you find the idea of searching for custom tombs tedious, that's fine, but it's no different than searching for custom anything on the gallery. Your analysis is pretty dour for something that's a hypothetical advertisement for a hypothetical feature.

My building skills are minimal at best (and that's putting it politely); I greatly appreciate those builders who share their creations with the community. They give me the resources to customize my worlds and "theme out" my neighborhoods, and giving me a base where I can customize the houses to suit my specific needs (I have a fondness for basements especially for features like teen bedrooms (the wall cracks from Vampires really come in handy), home gyms, etc. The ease of adding basements without having to do all sorts of foundation tweaking is one of the best features of Sims 4. (BTW, is your gallery handle the same as your forums handle? I'd love to check out your restaurant builds!)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    Well, we're gonna need some kind of "base camp" in this new destination world.

I doubt we'll get campsites, because we already have campsites (and why would we buy Outdoor Retreat if this pack does the same thing?), so I'm banking on hotels instead. Maybe some beachside resorts.

And if the Maxis-gods are really kind, we'll be able to own those hotels like a business, and hopefully set them up in other worlds. I really, really, really want a ritzy high-rise hotel in one of the San Myshuno penthouses, and B&B's in Brindleton Bay.

As for other features, well, tomb-building seems plausible. I mean, it's just a bunch of buy mode objects that our Sims need to navigate past. No reason why we wouldn't get them. Maybe some kind of adventure system, too, where our Sims get sent out on different quests on various community lots in the world.

This is only a game pack. If anything they will reuse the rental lot setup that they’ve been sitting on since OR released in 2015. The GP looks like it’s taken some inspiration from Indiana Jones, and I can tell you he did not stay in hotels. Hotels realistically don’t fit with the adventure theme, but even if they did squeeze them in there is no way they could offer ownership, functionality, and a whole other adventure theme in one game pack. I think you are setting your expectations way too high.

Maybe more Build mode features, like grass-textured wall patterns to build grass huts? Or more hanging vines like the clinging vines from Vampires. I use the wall decor like the ivy and wall "holes" and cracks a lot to give builds a more worn-down look; I did a remake of The Old Salt House to turn it into a lounge/bowling alley and used the wall holes to make it look like a rundown warehouse. More features like that would be welcome. We've got some dirt floor patterns, maybe a few of those or some really worn looking flooring (like the Lub Dub floorng from Spooky Stuff) would work for creating rental huts or maybe a worn down bar.

I can see where some people might think we could get hotel ownership -- both retail and restaurant ownership came in GPs. I think a resort pack might be more likely to offer hotel ownership -- something that would include a vacation world with ocean swimming, maybe seashells as a new collectible (including some that can only be found while swimming).

If we get a beach vacation world, I hope it has some kind of adventure that might lead to discovering mermaids. Also, along with shells (which I love IRL) it would be cool if we could collect different coral from snorkeling. I'd rather have snorkeling rather than diving because, except for the shark eating you, it was boring. But exploring a beautiful reef of coral might be more interesting and there could still be treasure to find.

145526.jpg
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    If we do get explorable tombs, I get this feeling that the way they're going to try and sell it is by using the community.

"..AND WITH THE GALLERY, YOU'LL NEVER RUN OUT OF TOMBS TO EXPLORE! WITH YOUR CREATIVITY YOU CAN CREATE YOUR VERY OWN AMAZING TOMBS TO SHARE WITH THE WORLD! *insert corny joke about skeletons here*"

WA for me lost replay-ability because my brain memorized the puzzles on the first run through.

The problem is that the peer-to-peer feature packs always always ALWAYS bomb. The gallery is different because it's just there if you want to browse. Requiring the gallery to complete a pack is a different thing entirely, and it's exactly why packs like Showtime are hated.

Let's assume for a second that akin to Outdoor Retreat, this pack has an aspiration that more or less outlines all of the content of the pack and demands you explore it. Tell me honestly: if you're planning a vacation for your Sim, do you want to thumb through the gallery to find 5+ usermade dungeons to download and try out, and repeat that step each and every time you have a sim revisit the location, all just for a brief, temporary vacation and the completion of an aspiration...?

An issue is that the dungeon is already previewed before you download, thus you've seen it and know what to do before you've even begun. On top of that, eventually you don't have that same passion for wanting to make it new and exciting and you just want a quick vacation, so you stop bothering with downloading new ones each time. After all, your focus is the end goal or the vacation itself, not dedicating 30 minutes each time to strictly thumbing through the gallery just to find doable dungeons.

Some users play in offline mode because it gives better performance. Will this be a nuisance for them to have to log in every time they want to refresh their dungeons? Forced online gameplay is another matter too, if it went that far. I doubt it does though unless they've been drinking or something, since EA itself has been harmed by the backlash against forced online gameplay. (RIP SimCity)

Overall, making it a selling point that you can download other people's dungeon designs...? That just sounds like reliance on the community to complete the pack that you didn't complete. Yes, once or twice it'd be nice to mix things up and experience new dungeons, but the desire to download new ones would drop off pretty quick, I imagine.

That's also why I said I'd expect that if anything, they have an automated dungeon randomizer. That way the job is quick and automatic, doesn't have spoilers, and doesn't demand community interaction that many players loathe....but for all we know it's just five lots with five dungeons.

If players are able to customize their own tombs, highlighting this feature doesn't mean it's "reliance on the community to complete the pack that you didn't complete". Building is a valid and popular gameplay style. Adding customizable lots of any type caters to builders who build their own lots as well as those who share them on the community.

Sharing and downloading restaurants is very popular on the gallery. My restaurant lots are definitely my most popular downloads. But does that mean the ability to share your restaurants on the gallery was advertised as a major feature of Dine Out? Nope. And the ability to use the gallery didn't take away from my enjoyment of the pack at all - in fact, it's incredibly enhanced it because as a builder, I am motivated to share my creations with others.

Similarly, many players already have a gameplay style that involves taking some time to search the gallery for restaurants, townies, houses, and other lots. I find that an enjoyable part of my world building, as do many others. If you find the idea of searching for custom tombs tedious, that's fine, but it's no different than searching for custom anything on the gallery. Your analysis is pretty dour for something that's a hypothetical advertisement for a hypothetical feature.

My building skills are minimal at best (and that's putting it politely); I greatly appreciate those builders who share their creations with the community. They give me the resources to customize my worlds and "theme out" my neighborhoods, and giving me a base where I can customize the houses to suit my specific needs (I have a fondness for basements especially for features like teen bedrooms (the wall cracks from Vampires really come in handy), home gyms, etc. The ease of adding basements without having to do all sorts of foundation tweaking is one of the best features of Sims 4. (BTW, is your gallery handle the same as your forums handle? I'd love to check out your restaurant builds!)

My gallery handle is Terra575. :smile: I'm not a super advanced builder yet, but you can find a few community lots I've made there. And when I say most popular, don't be expecting thousands of downloads, haha! But my most popular builds are definitely restaurants. Thanks for asking!
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

I doubt we'll get campsites, because we already have campsites (and why would we buy Outdoor Retreat if this pack does the same thing?), so I'm banking on hotels instead. Maybe some beachside resorts.

And if the Maxis-gods are really kind, we'll be able to own those hotels like a business, and hopefully set them up in other worlds. I really, really, really want a ritzy high-rise hotel in one of the San Myshuno penthouses, and B&B's in Brindleton Bay.

As for other features, well, tomb-building seems plausible. I mean, it's just a bunch of buy mode objects that our Sims need to navigate past. No reason why we wouldn't get them. Maybe some kind of adventure system, too, where our Sims get sent out on different quests on various community lots in the world.

This is only a game pack. If anything they will reuse the rental lot setup that they’ve been sitting on since OR released in 2015. The GP looks like it’s taken some inspiration from Indiana Jones, and I can tell you he did not stay in hotels. Hotels realistically don’t fit with the adventure theme, but even if they did squeeze them in there is no way they could offer ownership, functionality, and a whole other adventure theme in one game pack. I think you are setting your expectations way too high.

Maybe more Build mode features, like grass-textured wall patterns to build grass huts? Or more hanging vines like the clinging vines from Vampires. I use the wall decor like the ivy and wall "holes" and cracks a lot to give builds a more worn-down look; I did a remake of The Old Salt House to turn it into a lounge/bowling alley and used the wall holes to make it look like a rundown warehouse. More features like that would be welcome. We've got some dirt floor patterns, maybe a few of those or some really worn looking flooring (like the Lub Dub floorng from Spooky Stuff) would work for creating rental huts or maybe a worn down bar.

I can see where some people might think we could get hotel ownership -- both retail and restaurant ownership came in GPs. I think a resort pack might be more likely to offer hotel ownership -- something that would include a vacation world with ocean swimming, maybe seashells as a new collectible (including some that can only be found while swimming).

If we get a beach vacation world, I hope it has some kind of adventure that might lead to discovering mermaids. Also, along with shells (which I love IRL) it would be cool if we could collect different coral from snorkeling. I'd rather have snorkeling rather than diving because, except for the shark eating you, it was boring. But exploring a beautiful reef of coral might be more interesting and there could still be treasure to find.

145526.jpg

Could also have new fish that can only be found by swimming/scuba diving. And maybe a "secret lot" where the mermaids live and give presents like treasure and very rare fish.

My gallery handle is Terra575. :smile: I'm not a super advanced builder yet, but you can find a few community lots I've made there. And when I say most popular, don't be expecting thousands of downloads, haha! But my most popular builds are definitely restaurants. Thanks for asking!

No worries -- I'm always looking for ways to customize my worlds. I've tried converting that little bar in Brindleton Bay into a seafood restaurant but it's so small that I'm not sure if it's really working. I love restaurants because you don't have to own it to customize the uniforms and menus (I replaced the gym in San Myshuno with a restaurant I found on the Gallery; I named it Uptown Eats and set the menu for all the CL new recipes).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited January 2018
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    A 5-lot world doesn't get several themes.
    Granite Falls and Forgotten Hollow are focused on 1 unique theme.

Granite Falls has 7 lots, and 3 different locations.

One by the lake, one in the deep woods, one in the Mountains.

All quite different. So you could have a coast, a deep jungle and a 3rd location, maybe inside a tomb.

But the devs made it clear - gamepacks have one theme - period. GF is about camping - period.

True, but you can have a variety of environments.
    We had 3 locations within Granite Falls.

The person I quoted said both Granite Falls and Forgotten Hollow were 5 lots only, in one place :)

We can get a variety of locations within the same theme. One on the shoreline of the jungle, one in the jungle, one in some ruins or temples.

:)

GF is bigger than FH.

But even though GF has three locations they aren't different at all (and I'm saying this as it not being a problem for me, I like that they kept the theme steady).They are all in the same forested area. The first one is the lodging area, the other the deep forest and the last the hermit's secret hut.

They could do a similar structure with this pack -- 4 or 5 lots for lodging, amenities and such, the deep jungle for exploring, hunting for collectibles, etc. then a "secret lot" which would be the tomb.

If I remember, Maxis told they won't do secret lot any longer.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Lookie here what I found. Summer Vacation mentions both ocean activities and tombs.

Vacation:
    Take your sims on vacation! Head to Mt. Wright for fun winter getaway with ice skating, sledding, snowboarding and mysterious ice caves. Or head to Isla Cordinda to soak up the sun and build sandcastles, surf the waves, and uncover ancient tombs.
    Summer Vacation: Experience the best of summer at an island getaway, with sand castles, surfing, and delicious island food and drinks.

http://simscommunity.info/2015/08/08/new-survey-reveals-possible-expansion-packs-for-the-sims-4/
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2018
    Lookie here what I found. Summer Vacation mentions both ocean activities and tombs.

Vacation:
    Take your sims on vacation! Head to Mt. Wright for fun winter getaway with ice skating, sledding, snowboarding and mysterious ice caves. Or head to Isla Cordinda to soak up the sun and build sandcastles, surf the waves, and uncover ancient tombs.
    Summer Vacation: Experience the best of summer at an island getaway, with sand castles, surfing, and delicious island food and drinks.

http://simscommunity.info/2015/08/08/new-survey-reveals-possible-expansion-packs-for-the-sims-4/

They are different packs.

This is the one we are getting:

Explore Ancient Locations: Explore ancient tombs in the jungle, or avoiding deadly traps and yetis. Sounds actually pretty cool.

JUNGLE

thumb-1920-373752.jpg
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options

Vacation:

Explore Ancient Locations: Explore ancient tombs in the jungle, or avoiding deadly traps and yetis. Sounds actually pretty cool.

JUNGLE

Tombs are listed under Summer Holiday.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Vacation:

JUNGLE

According to the survey it was meant as an EP and it would have winter and summer seasons and respective vacation places. It wasn't summer vacation, it was complete vacation.

It seems they divided it unless we are getting all of that in one GP. It seems they are focusing on just this "Explore Ancient Locations: Explore ancient tombs in the jungle, or avoiding deadly traps and yetis.". But I could be wrong.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options

Vacation:

JUNGLE

You are setting yourself up for a huge disappointment, but have fun.
  • Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member

Vacation:

JUNGLE

Vacation:

JUNGLE

Danny! All he do is tell about things in an adventure/vacation-themed game pack. Tombs might be important if they have appeared in Bon Voyage and World Adventure, but now it was in this game pack you know!
  • Options
    12JEREMIA wrote: »

Vacation:

JUNGLE

Vacation:

JUNGLE

Danny! All he do is tell about things in an adventure/vacation-themed game pack. Tombs might be important if they have appeared in Bon Voyage and World Adventure, but now it was in this game pack you know!

Tombs were the main thing in WA.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member

Vacation:

JUNGLE

Vacation:

JUNGLE

Tombs! Like pyramids and temples! You know what I mean?
  • Options

Vacation:

JUNGLE

Vacation:

JUNGLE

Yes, they were both in WA. xD
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    AmeliaNovaAmeliaNova Posts: 76 Member
    > @icmnfrsh said:
    > I'm wondering about that skeleton myself. Is it a new occult? New NPC? How does it tie into the theme?
    >
    > Will we be finally able to sacrifice our sims to sate the fickle volcano gods? Time will tell

The fact that it has clothes makes me think it's got to be something we could create in CAS??? (also how is a skeleton beach themed, not adventure tomb???) Fingers crossed for sacrificing (annoying) sims to the fickle volcano gods!!! Definitely a step up from a room with no doors!!!
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I’m so glad I have a failing memory :D I do remember some bits, but that doesn’t prevent me from enjoying them over and over again. Also because there are so many. I truely hope creating your own tomb will be an option by the way. I fear that’s not a given, considering we’re talking about Sims 4 here. Creating a tomb in Sims 3 is great great fun.

Oh no. We shouldn't depend on the gallery. I didn't even consider that would happen...

I also hope we can create tombs, I love building stuff.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »

A random person who tweeted something and then cat put it here for some reason.

Thought so. Thank you! Wanted to make sure it wasn’t anything oficial
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member

I can't even find such a comment from SimGuruGraham here. It would be nice if anyone could provide an actual source for it.
  • Options

I can't even find such a comment from SimGuruGraham here. It would be nice if anyone could provide an actual source for it.

With it being a tweet it most likely got lost. That was a while back.
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member

With it being a tweet it most likely got lost. That was a while back.

Then I'm actually doubting it even more because usually they're really careful to never deny or confirm any packs. They always say "It's a possibility." I highly doubt a SimGuru would say they're not doing a WA pack again before they even announced the new adventure-themed pack.
  • Options
    Maybe what was meant was that a big three location vacation will never be done again. That doesn't mean that they won't break them up into three separate packs.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    graventhe wrote: »
    If this pack is tomb exploration then I don't mind but I hope they're not repetitive like TS3 WA it should be random and unexpected
    Can’t agree with this, to me every tomb in Sims 3 has its own surprises. But I’m curious how you’d see them more random and unexpected, what could they do to make them less repetitive?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I don't care if it's set in a jungle (which would be something new) or on an island.

The only thing I'm hyped about is that we (probably) get tomb exploring like in World Adventures! :)

I'm right there with you on that point.

If they can do some sort of random tomb generation (with new loot to find) that would be awesome -- World Adventures got sort of boring after a while because once you did a tomb that was it; if you sent another Sim to that tomb all the loot was gone so there was no point in doing the tombs again (say you had a Sim that was following in their explorer grandmother's footsteps).
    You can reset an adventure world in Sims 3 (by removing the world file; if you travel to the world again the game will open a brand new world to explore). I’ve never found this necessary though for myself, I simply start a new game with my sims.
    I don't care if it's set in a jungle (which would be something new) or on an island.

The only thing I'm hyped about is that we (probably) get tomb exploring like in World Adventures! :)

I'm right there with you on that point.

If they can do some sort of random tomb generation (with new loot to find) that would be awesome -- World Adventures got sort of boring after a while because once you did a tomb that was it; if you sent another Sim to that tomb all the loot was gone so there was no point in doing the tombs again (say you had a Sim that was following in their explorer grandmother's footsteps).

Actually, the loot in the chests does respawn/reset if you go back but it takes like a day or something. You just won't get the quest loot again, unless you do the quest again which I'm not sure you can do.
    A new sim will get all the adventures another sim had. Only thing is that the tomb is open when you don’t replace the file of the world. So there won’t be much exploring ;)

And no, WA didn’t bomb. It’s considered a favourite by many, both Sims 3 fans and Sims 3 non fans (I have one Sims 3 hater - I’m not exaggerating using that word - in mind who has stated several times the only reason to occasionally open the game was WA).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018

145526.jpg
    That would be an amazing idea! I’ve always been disappointed tbh with how that was done in IP.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

Vacation:

JUNGLE

Vacation:

JUNGLE

screenshot-1105a_orig.png

screenshot-1100a_orig.png

Me neither, I’ve been searching to find it, but I’m convinced he did. I believe it was discussed in the Ask a Guru topic back then. He reacted to a question of a fan (in that topic or on Twitter, I don’t remember) and said something like a WA kind of pack would be unlikely because it had been controversial. He really said it. It was a couple of years ago though.
    5JZ57S6.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top