Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best Pc / Laptop to play the sims 4 with best grahpics?

Comments

• Robinh4Robinh4 Posts: 282 Member
    @phoebebebe13 Sorry about that, I should have put that I live in Canada in my original post. I think I'll go with the Asus then, if it's the better choice out of those. It's hard to find a good gaming laptop here, in my price range. Thanks again. Much appreciated.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @Robinh4 Your very welcome. Canada has less choices for computers than you would in USA or UK. Hopefully that will change in the future.
  • Robinh4Robinh4 Posts: 282 Member
    @phoebebebe13 Yeah, I hope it will change too. It's quite depressing.
  • Finncooke1Finncooke1 Posts: 1 New Member
    My daughter has Lenovo 110 given to her by her uncle and she got it for school work but she wants to know if it can play Sims 4 and expansion pack

Spec are

Graphics: AMD Radeon R5 M430
    Processor: AMD® A8-7410
    RAM Memory: 8 GB
    8GB RAM
    1TB Hard drive
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    edited April 2018
    @Finncooke1 That laptop is designed for light computer tasks and not for playing games like the sims. It does not meet requirements. You might be ok with the base game but not sure about add ons to this game. The more you add to this game, the more demanding the game becomes to computer hardware. This game does require a gaming computer to run all current and future add ons. They did up the requirements for Cats & Dogs Ep and I'm sure they will have other EP's that will up computer requirements. You really need a computer that meets recommended requirements to survive all this game's future add ons. EA does give a 24 hour trial for the base games. Should you have problems running it, they will give you a refund for the base game. They do not offer refunds on add ons to this game if your computer can't run it.
  • Ay_karenaAy_karena Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi everyone,
    I’m currently looking for a new desktop for playing the sims 4 as I’m trying to start a you-tube channel. My current laptop is not up to the task of recording gameplay and commentary. I found this desktop on eBay and am considering purchasing it but I wanted to check if it would suitable for the task. It’s an AMD A-8 7650k processor, 16 gb of ram, 1 tb of storage, it has an amd r7 series graphics card, 3.3GHz base processing speed (3.8GHz turbo), 4 processor cores, 1600MHz of memory speed. I’m not very technically savvy so any help would be much appreciated!
    Ay_karena wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I’m currently looking for a new desktop for playing the sims 4 as I’m trying to start a you-tube channel. My current laptop is not up to the task of recording gameplay and commentary. I found this desktop on eBay and am considering purchasing it but I wanted to check if it would suitable for the task. It’s an AMD A-8 7650k processor, 16 gb of ram, 1 tb of storage, it has an amd r7 series graphics card, 3.3GHz base processing speed (3.8GHz turbo), 4 processor cores, 1600MHz of memory speed. I’m not very technically savvy so any help would be much appreciated!

@Ay_karena This desktop is low end and does not meet requirements. it's designed for light computer tasks and not for running this game. Someone can help you find a computer that meets requirements if you post your budget and country.
    I live in the UK and my budget would be around £300-£500
    I live in the UK and my budget would be around £300-£500

Your going to need to up your budget to purchase a computer that meets requirements. 'IF' you could find one at 500 pounds it would have some pretty old hardware. I don't suggest buying a computer with old hardware. It will become outdated quickly. Your looking more 600-700 pound range and up and that is not including a monitor
    I could stretch to 600-700 if there were any computers around that price point that would do the job.
    I could stretch to 600-700 if there were any computers around that price point that would do the job.

Amazon UK has a Fierce Apache PC for 651.95 pounds that meets requirements . It has a 3 year warranty with windows 10 and wifi installed. Has an intel i5 7500 processor, an Nvidia GTX 1050 ti video card , 8gb computer ram and a 1tb hard drive . Free UK Delivery. This will get you through the whole game with add ons
    That’s great, thank you so much for your advice and recommendation.
    Your very welcome
  • ArtsyBananaArtsyBanana Posts: 339 Member
    Hi So I am currently looking for a new laptop to run The Sims 4, will this one meet the requirement to play it?

Operating System: Windows 10 Home
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)
    Memory: 8GB DDR4
    Storage: 1TB HDD + 128GB SSD
    Graphics: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
    See what's up in my gallery: Origin ID: ArtsyBanana
    I have finally finished my Legacy Challenge , these are the Levis (numbered by Generation!)
    https://imgur.com/L3Q6aQZ

@ArtsyBanana Those laptop specs meet recommended requirements to run the game. You would have to custom install the game to your 1 tb HDD hard drive. your 128 gb SSD is too small to game on
  • TerriblePunTerriblePun Posts: 10 New Member
    @ArtsyBanana & @phoebebebe13 you would not necessarily have to install TS4 onto the HDD and can indeed use the 128 GB SSD IF you have enough space left (plan on 30 GB being taken up by TS4 alone, which is a bit more than what the entire game + EPs + Packs is; and leave at least 10 or 20 GB of free space on your drive in case your computer starts offloading onto it). It should load faster on the SSD than the HDD, too.
    edited April 2018
    @TerriblePun @ArtsyBanana With windows 10 and just TS4 , it can not run on 128 gb ssd, Windows 10takes allot to run. We have helped several people here in tech who can not run the game on a small 128 gb .I play TS3 on a 256 gb ssd and it gets used up very quickly. I have two hard drives and I'm moving files off my ssd to my hdd constantly.

ts4 does not load any quicker on an ssd and there is no reason for ts4 to be installed on an ssd. You need to leave at least 50 gb free space on your hard drive. When the hard drive gets too full it will slowdown and you will have game issues

When you only have a 128 gb ssd ( its never the exact amount and can be lower) on c drive it is advised to move your documents folder to your second hard drive. 128 gb hard drive gets used up very quickly
    @phoebebebe13 All of that 100% depends on how you're using your drives. For starters Windows 10 takes about 30 GB, leaving like 95 GB. Then some can be used for backup or you can set the OS to backup to a second drive (so it won't take up anything). TS4 can in fact run off of that. Anyone having space issues likely is talking about 128 GB as max capacity and not how much they actually have left. And no, drives do not need 50-ish GB of free space to work properly, and no, they do not magically get "cluttered" if you're actually clearing your temp files semi-regularly. They just need enough space to generate temp files and, in the case of an emergency, to offload computing to (this happens when you run out of usable RAM) which is only about 10 to 20 GB.

Also, programs start up/load faster on an SSD than an HDD. That's literally how the technology works. An HDD takes time to spin up to its max speed (which is usually lower than a basic SSD's max speed anyway) while an SSD does not have those same moving parts. This isn't some nebulous thing that works differently for TS4 than everything else.
    edited April 2018
    @TerriblePun Lets just say we agree to disagree. Some of us have been helping in tech here for a long time. We know the game with windows 10 and other programs installed that need the ssd will not work with the game on 128 gb ssd. The sims games need extra hard drive. they also use virtual memory. the game will have issues once the hard drive gets low.

TS4 does not take advantage of loading quicker on ssd but ts3 does. The games are programmed differently. The loading screens on ts4 don't load any quicker and you still have loading screens.

tech section is not for debates. it's for simmers helping other simmers get their games to run properly by giving the best advice we can

PS Many people play with CC and mods which takes up allot of hard drive space
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    @TerriblePun @ArtsyBanana With windows 10 and just TS4 , it can not run on 128 gb ssd, Windows 10takes allot to run. We have helped several people here in tech who can not run the game on a small 128 gb .I play TS3 on a 256 gb ssd and it gets used up very quickly. I have two hard drives and I'm moving files off my ssd to my hdd constantly.

ts4 does not load any quicker on an ssd and there is no reason for ts4 to be installed on an ssd. You need to leave at least 50 gb free space on your hard drive. When the hard drive gets too full it will slowdown and you will have game issues

When you only have a 128 gb ssd ( its never the exact amount and can be lower) on c drive it is advised to move your documents folder to your second hard drive. 128 gb hard drive gets used up very quickly

I agree with Phoebebebe, 128GB is far too small to game on, but I disagree that Sims 4 doesn't benefit from SSD. I have my sims 4 installed on my SSD on my desktop and my HDD on my laptop. I swap the Sims 4 document folder from laptop to desktop and so forth, so both desktop and laptop load the exact same thing on both (all packs, 6gb of mods and cc). Before I merged my cc, it took my laptop over 5 minutes to load and my desktop took about a minute to a minute and a half. My in game loads on my desktop are shorter than my in game loads on laptop, too. This is all fairly recent, as I've had the game installed on both laptop and desktop since the beginning and it's only been recently that I've noticed a change in loading screens between SSD and HDD.

I also agree, you need to leave around 30 - 50GB free for things to work on.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    ChelleJo wrote: »

I agree with Phoebebebe, 128GB is far too small to game on, but I disagree that Sims 4 doesn't benefit from SSD. I have my sims 4 installed on my SSD on my desktop and my HDD on my laptop. I swap the Sims 4 document folder from laptop to desktop and so forth, so both desktop and laptop load the exact same thing on both (all packs, 6gb of mods and cc). Before I merged my cc, it took my laptop over 5 minutes to load and my desktop took about a minute to a minute and a half. My in game loads on my desktop are shorter than my in game loads on laptop, too. This is all fairly recent, as I've had the game installed on both laptop and desktop since the beginning and it's only been recently that I've noticed a change in loading screens between SSD and HDD.

That could be differences between other aspects of your laptop and desktop, not between SSD and HDD, and to a change in CC merging.

Back when the game was fairly new, I was curious about what caused changes in loading times, so I literally timed them and had a spreadsheet. I tracked game loading and lot loading, of various lots. I had an HHD. Then I switched to an SSD... and there was absolutely no difference at all, with nothing else having changed.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

That could be differences between other aspects of your laptop and desktop, not between SSD and HDD, and to a change in CC merging.

Back when the game was fairly new, I was curious about what caused changes in loading times, so I literally timed them and had a spreadsheet. I tracked game loading and lot loading, of various lots. I had an HHD. Then I switched to an SSD... and there was absolutely no difference at all, with nothing else having changed.

I agree

@ChelleJo laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. Your processor comes into play with load times ,not just the HDD or SSD .
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member

I agree

@ChelleJo laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. Your processor comes into play with load times ,not just the HDD or SSD .

Yes, but I've been swapping my folder for the last 2 years between my desktop and laptop and it's only been here recently that I've noticed a huge difference in the loading between the two and the laptop has increased load time by quite a bit. Once I merged cc (same exact mods folder between the two), it has gotten better, but it's still not nearly as quick as it was pre-cats and dogs and beyond.

And I agree. Back when the game was first out, there was no really noticeable benefit to SSD over HDD. I had the game installed on my HDD then got my SSD and there was no real difference. And, for the most part, my SSD still loads fairly fast with all packs and 6GB of cc.

My laptop takes longer now, when it didn't use to. I think the days of no benefit for SSD are behind sims 4, when you add in all packs and quite a bit of CC/Mods. And my processor on my laptop, even being weaker, is on par with my desktop or maybe even a wee bit better (laptop is an i7 6700HQ, desktop AMD FX 8350).

At any rate. I'm not saying ya'll are wrong on anything, by any stretch. You guys are very knowledgeable. I was just adding my own personal observation and opinion to the mix.
    p8L4V6v.png
    I created a 19.5 GB partition on my HDD, installed Sims + a couple packs (as much would download until it filled completely, then rolled back whatever only got half-downloaded), leaving it with 2.21 GB of free space. Ran the game and played for about 30 minutes, then let a 2-person household do its own thing for 15 more minutes. Ran the same as it always does.

I don't know why you assume tons of free space is necessary, you just need enough for things like temp files and error logs (which really don't add up to much if you're taking care of your computer & emptying your recycle bin; I cleaned my C drive on my main laptop recently and it had just a little over 2 GB of unnecessary files, which was ~4 months of buildup). Newer drives tend to be pretty efficient.

I can measure TS4 startup times for my SSD vs HDD if you'd like although it might take a while because origin freaks out whenever my internet goes down in the middle of a download lol. I have a Toshiba SSD with a sequential read/write speed of 660 MB/s (26.2 MB/s random) and a Hitachi 7.2k RPM HDD with a sequential read/write speed of 122 MB/s (0.71 MB/s random). I already know I've had better experiences when I've had Sims on my SSD instead of my HDD but I can time it for proof. SSDs in general are just better for modern software and if you're going to use a game or program frequently and have enough space, I 100% recommend using it over an HDD. It's like comparing a blu-ray to a VHS tape.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    I created a 19.5 GB partition on my HDD, installed Sims + a couple packs (as much would download until it filled completely, then rolled back whatever only got half-downloaded), leaving it with 2.21 GB of free space. Ran the game and played for about 30 minutes, then let a 2-person household do its own thing for 15 more minutes. Ran the same as it always does.

I don't know why you assume tons of free space is necessary, you just need enough for things like temp files and error logs (which really don't add up to much if you're taking care of your computer & emptying your recycle bin; I cleaned my C drive on my main laptop recently and it had just a little over 2 GB of unnecessary files, which was ~4 months of buildup). Newer drives tend to be pretty efficient.

I can measure TS4 startup times for my SSD vs HDD if you'd like although it might take a while because origin freaks out whenever my internet goes down in the middle of a download lol. I have a Toshiba SSD with a sequential read/write speed of 660 MB/s (26.2 MB/s random) and a Hitachi 7.2k RPM HDD with a sequential read/write speed of 122 MB/s (0.71 MB/s random). I already know I've had better experiences when I've had Sims on my SSD instead of my HDD but I can time it for proof. SSDs in general are just better for modern software and if you're going to use a game or program frequently and have enough space, I 100% recommend using it over an HDD. It's like comparing a blu-ray to a VHS tape.

The issue isn't how well the computer runs with low free space. The issue is how easy and quick it is to fill up that SSD drive and then try to save your game and fail because the drive is full.

Yes with rigorous space management, it's probably doable to play on a small SSD. However, most players likely do not want to have to do that level of space management. I know I don't and I've got a 250 GB SSD with Windows 7. I just booted Sims 4 and Sims 2 onto my HDD as I was fed up with having to play space management (things tend to get larger in size rather than smaller with patches and naturally playing and accumulating CC and mods).

Some games the bottleneck for the game is not the speed at which it pulls from the SSD or the HDD. For Sims 4, the bottleneck is the processor. Sims 4's usage of the processor makes the difference between an SSD and an HDD unnoticeable. With exception of MAYBE the top of the line processors - which the average player would not have. And there's already a poster who has tested the differences between load times. I trust her/his results.

I currently have:

Sims 3 [34.5 GB - All Sims 3 EP's and SP's including the Katy Perry one]
    Guild Wars 2 [36.9 GB and rising, every time there's a patch, the size goes up]
    Sims 2 [9.6 GB, 6.9 GB of that is CC], Sims 3 [25.1 GB, mostly saves, but nothing over 10 GB by itself], and Sims 4 [423.5 MB, I don't play Sims 4 that much, it's missing something I can't name] saves, CC, screenshots, etc

On my SSD. I've got 46.8 GB free space out of 250 GB.

On my old computer, I didn't have an SSD drive. I used to have multiple Sims 3 and Sims 2 folders in My Documents to fit the different type of play. Which I can't do on this computer, especially not with Sims 3.

The average player does not want to have to deal with space management on a regular basis. You would have to do that while playing on a 128 GB SSD. Especially if playing Sims 4 and wanting to continue getting the EP's and SP's as the space required on the drive would only increase.