Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims life stage age

This is true from real life stage from sims? Baby 0 to 12 months. Toddler 1 to 4 years. Child 5 to 12 years. Teen 13 to 18/21 years. Young adult 22 to 30. Adult 30 to 65. Elder 66+. Thats true?

Comments

• 1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    As far as I know there is no official age attached to each life stage. What you have posted seems reasonable and follows US education and work force generalities. If it works for you, play it that way. Enjoy as you want. :)
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    Except teens have to age up to young adults before they go to college in Sims 3 so maybe 18/19 starts young adult?
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I've never seen any official (i.e. by an TS3 developer) comparison of sim life stages to human age spans either. The age ranges you posted is a reasonable interpretation. I personally don't see sim life stages that way; it's something each player decides on their own.
  • ren_sibal123ren_sibal123 Posts: 86 Member
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    Except teens have to age up to young adults before they go to college in Sims 3 so maybe 18/19 starts young adult?

I think but 18 years old for girls and 21 for boys.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    For me adults are 40 up and elders 60 up.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    This is true from real life stage from sims? Baby 0 to 12 months. Toddler 1 to 4 years. Child 5 to 12 years. Teen 13 to 18/21 years. Young adult 22 to 30. Adult 30 to 65. Elder 66+. Thats true?

If you want to make a technical comparison ...
    Based on maximum days per category ...
    In comparison from birth to high school graduation [18 years old].

(roughly ... 3 Sim days equals a month)

Baby ... 64 days ... (21 months)
    Toddler ... 150 days ... (50 months) ... [6 years old]
    Child ... 150 days ... (50 months) ... [10 years old]
    Teen ... 300 days ... (100 months) ... [18 years old]
    Young Adult ... 450 days ... (150 months) ... [30 years old]
    Adult ... 450 days ... (150 months) ... [42 years old]
    Elder ... 364 days ... (121 months) ... [52 years old]

Yes ... Average life expectancy of Sims allows for retirement at 42 years old ...
    And death around 52 years old.

But ... That is just technical junk ... :#

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @BlackSand This is why I always adjust downwards the time spent in the juvenile life stages in my games. I usually play with 90-day lifespans, and I find it ridiculous that a sim would take ten days to age up from infant to child. My current game has age lengths of 2/4/8/8/23/28/17 (I don't have University installed, so I count the hypothetical college years before they get a job in the teenage category), and I find this a bit more hectic but also more rewarding. I've done the raising children thing enough that I don't need them to spend all that time demanding their parents' attention. Plus, I can teach toddlers everything they could possibly learn in four days. The rest is just mind-numbingly redundant.
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    @BlackSand This is why I always adjust downwards the time spent in the juvenile life stages in my games. I usually play with 90-day lifespans, and I find it ridiculous that a sim would take ten days to age up from infant to child. My current game has age lengths of 2/4/8/8/23/28/17 (I don't have University installed, so I count the hypothetical college years before they get a job in the teenage category), and I find this a bit more hectic but also more rewarding. I've done the raising children thing enough that I don't need them to spend all that time demanding their parents' attention. Plus, I can teach toddlers everything they could possibly learn in four days. The rest is just mind-numbingly redundant.

Yeah @puzzlezaddict ... I keep the maximum age requirements for all Sims.

In active households, I manually age the babies up at 7 days.
    I manually age toddlers/children/teens up when they have completed whatever skills and schooling I desire.

That gives me time to jump around between houses without missing birthdays and whatnot.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've got pregnancies set for 30 days
    Babies get 60 days which is a simyear.
    Toddlers get 120 days which is from 1-3 years old.
    Children are from 3-9 years old which is 360 days.
    Kids or Teens are from 9-12 years old which is 180 days.
    Young Adults are 12-about 21 years old which is 540 days.
    Adults are 21+ years old and have about 1080 days before aging up.
    Elders can be as young as 36 years old or as old at 65 years old or even older and usually have 540 days though that can vary.
    I do the lifespans that long as I'm playing TS2 style rotational play and would miss out on too much if the lives were shorter.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
    I suppose if I jumped around among different families, I would definitely want to keep kids from aging up without my supervision. I've found though that once I stop playing a sim or sims, I lose some connection to them that I find hard to reestablish. I'm never as interested in developing them after I go back, even if I "raised" them from birth. Like with one family I played years ago before I used mods, I moved out one of the kids so another could get married and pregnant before buying a house with her husband. I brought the moved-out kid back and pushed him in his career, but I never stopped thinking of him the same way I saw the other resident sims that I'd never played. I guess that's why I like the short lifespan–it keeps me engaged with the one family I play with and then lets me move on to the next generation before I get bored.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    I guess I play "Super Epic" which maxes my days out at 1437 days. (2/4/150/300/450/450/75) which probably means that I will probably have about 150 chapters for my founder couple's legacy story. I usually play about 2 weeks at a sitting which roughly translates to about six chapters.

I've had RL kids (thank goodness my youngest is in elementary school and my two older ones are in high-school)...so I know the whole diaper/toilet training/feeding/teaching to talk routine with my RL kids. That's how come I've got the baby/toddler days set so low. I'd probably go mental if I tried to play the a 65/150 day cycle with babies and toddlers. yes. MENTAL, I tell ya...
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    edited December 2017

It's a matter of imagination, but some things make sense based on real life stages.

Personally, I consider them:
    Baby 0-1 year
    Child 5-12
    Teen 13-18
    Young Adult 19-35
    Adult 35-70
    Elder 70+

By the way I use the regular aging system only partially, meaning I don't age sims based on sim days, I age them manually (or with a cake) by how I feel they match the stage at that time. Usually I'll age a school class together.
  • RodJohnRodJohn Posts: 406 Member
    BlackSand wrote: »

If you want to make a technical comparison ...
    Based on maximum days per category ...
    In comparison from birth to high school graduation [18 years old].

(roughly ... 3 Sim days equals a month)

Baby ... 64 days ... (21 months)
    Toddler ... 150 days ... (50 months) ... [6 years old]
    Child ... 150 days ... (50 months) ... [10 years old]
    Teen ... 300 days ... (100 months) ... [18 years old]
    Young Adult ... 450 days ... (150 months) ... [30 years old]
    Adult ... 450 days ... (150 months) ... [42 years old]
    Elder ... 364 days ... (121 months) ... [52 years old]

Yes ... Average life expectancy of Sims allows for retirement at 42 years old ...
    And death around 52 years old.

But ... That is just technical junk ... :#

Goodness! I don't think I have the patience to play them that long! I do intervals of 7 to make things line up with the weeks. My infants get 7 days, my children 14, teens 21, YAs get 42 days, adults get 56 days, my elders get 35 days.
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited December 2017
    I do a 7 day weekly scale as well, but I compress much more so that every day is a sim year. Infants get two days as the slider won't go lower and baby clothes do go up to 24 months, so that jives well with real life. Then my toddlers get five days, which would be five years. Since I almost always age up babies right away with a birthday cake, they get 5 years as toddlers, which brings then up to school age. Children get 7 days or years which corresponds perfectly to grade school (Kindergarten through 6th grade). Then, they get 7 years as teenagers. (13-19 is 7 years.) Young adult age is usually until 30 something, so I think 2 weeks or 14 days/years is about right, but if you prefer 40, then 3 weeks or 21 days/years is good. We tend to set 65-72 as the senior age, when people retire from work. So depending on where you set the young adult span (2 or 3 weeks) and how old your sims will be at retirement, adults get 3-5 weeks. Average life expectancy says that living 14 years after retirement would be good. 65+14 =79 and 72+14=86. So, I give my sims 2 weeks as elders, knowing that they can, and often do, live much longer.

It's interesting to see the different formulas and rationale that everyone uses.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited December 2017
    I don't actually map real life age ranges to the sims age spans. I think of the sims age spans as being one point in a real life lifetime that the sims live in for a certain number of days before having a birthday and jumping into the next age span.

infants - I pretty much regard as basically newborns
    toddlers - around 2 years old
    children - 10, maybe 11
    teen - since teens can be taught to drive immediately, I regard them in-game as 16 (real life) years old.
    YAs - mid to late twenties
    adults - mid forties (since they can get a mid life crisis on aging up)
    elders - seventies

The number of days I set each age has nothing to do with real life ages. I based it on what I want my sims to accomplish and how long it will probably take them. Some games I play at the normal lifespan with YA/A maxed, in other games I play at the long lifespan with infant though teen ages considerably shortened.

In my current game I have a married couple on a quest to have 100 children (they just reached 50). They both got hold of a genie lamp and each wished for long life (which doubles all age spans). The effect of that wish is passed down to their children. With the doubled age span for teens I decided to send them to a homeworld university to get a degree before aging to YA, while being home schooled. I've had issues with homeworld university enrollment being dropped when anyone in the active household ages up, so now all aging for infants, toddlers, and children is done on the 1 day of the week I don't have anyone enrolled in a homeworld university (Sunday morning). I'm just kind of rolling with it.

For me, age ranges in the game are quite malleable and I adjust as necessary to play however I want - which changes from game to game.
    Post edited by TreyNutz on
  • 1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    @TreyNutz That is pretty much how I play it. But I wish @BlackSand 's time match up was true to life at least for baby gestation. A Sim is preggers for 3 Sim days. 3 Sim days = 1 month IRL. Baby is baked before morning sickness sets in. Miracle Gro!! :D:D:D
    @TreyNutz That is pretty much how I play it. But I wish @BlackSand 's time match up was true to life at least for baby gestation. A Sim is preggers for 3 Sim days. 3 Sim days = 1 month IRL. Baby is baked before morning sickness sets in. Miracle Gro!! :D:D:D

On the other hand, sims are pregnant for 3 days regardless of how long they live. So using a normal lifespan (90 days), a sim is pregnant for THREE YEARS. That's longer than any animal I've ever heard of; even elephants give birth after two. Can you imagine? And an entire year of morning sickness! I think the human race would have died out ages ago if we had to put up with all that.

Of course, if you really like exploiting the system, your sim could be on paid maternity leave for her entire YA life. I still don't think it would be worth it, though.
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member

On the other hand, sims are pregnant for 3 days regardless of how long they live. So using a normal lifespan (90 days), a sim is pregnant for THREE YEARS. That's longer than any animal I've ever heard of; even elephants give birth after two. Can you imagine? And an entire year of morning sickness! I think the human race would have died out ages ago if we had to put up with all that.

Of course, if you really like exploiting the system, your sim could be on paid maternity leave for her entire YA life. I still don't think it would be worth it, though.

Acually it's kind of annoying that the pregnancy is not synchronized with the life span. You can adjust the life span to epic, With "Seasons" a season can be a lot more than three days but the pregnancy always stays the same... I like to play on a long lifespan as it more realistic and in real life many thing happen during pregnancy. so end it in less than a summer is just too short. not to mention that pregnanct women still work during pregnancy and only take maternity leave after delivery.