Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which EP should I get?

Ive been away from the sims for about a year & I wanna buy one of the expansions now but I'm clueless to which ones are worth it. Opinions?
My origin- chloejones92
laddd44.gif

Comments

• Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited December 2017
    It all depends on how you play your game.

GTW:If you've ever wanted to tag along with your sims as a doctor, detective, or scientist, or if you fancy being your own buisness person owning a retail store or bakery, GTW sounds like a perfect match for you! Also there's the photography skill as well along with Aliens.

GT: Want your sims to do more activities together along with a giant town? Get together is for you! The group system is a little more advanced than TS2 and TS3's group since their now "clubs", but they work sorta similar to them. You can kinda go wild with them, from a "Girls night out" Club to a "Mommy's Fitness" club (I use that alot for the mothers in my game :lol: ) even a "VoidCrittters" Club. The pack also contains a the most biggest town in TS4: Windenburg, which holds the record of 27 lots. So if your also a builder, there's lots of room there. There's also a walk-in-closet, who doesn't love walk-in closets? :lol:

CL: Prefer life in the city over suburban living? City Living is defiantly a change for you. It introduces of course a new city: San Myshuno, a place full of cultural diversity and festival events of which your sim can attend. From cozy apartments to penthouses, there's a fair amount of styles for your sims new pad. The pack also comes with a basketball court and karaoke machine.

C&D: Dog Lover? Cat Lover? Check out cats and dogs. Allow your sim to take on the responsibility of raising a furry companion. Or Perhaps you'd rather like to help those in need? The new Vet clinic option allows you to create clinics for curing local sick pets around the town(s). There's also CAP which gives you a wide range of creating different breeds or even odd ones from imagination or even...foxes and raccoons :lol: . Like the rest of the expansions, this one welcomes a new town for your puppies and kitties to roam. Birdleton Bay is a very pretty medium sized harbor town with 16 lots. Another nifty addition is the cool Roomba Vacuum which cleans up messes (from pet vomit to kid messes introduced in Parenthood <3).

To be absolutely fair in giving a "opinion" though, there are some cons for me:

GTW:
    • The 3 main jobs (doctor,scientist, detective) are sometimes pretty buggy-ish for me without a few mods to help.
    • It does have it's own town..but it only has 4 lots.
    • The Photography skill is technically now base game, so you probably have cameras right now in your game.

GT:
    • Although clubs and the big town are great to have....that's literary all that's pretty much in the pack. There is some furniture, but those two are the big features.

CL:
    • You cannot create apartments, only decorate/build them as "rooms". Meaning we can't create our own apartments in the traditional way. San Myshuno's apartments are the only apartments available and they aren't creatable.
    • Some have mentioned lagging in the city. I haven't exactly experienced this but it is something that's been talked about a bit.
    • Sometimes the festival outfits the npc wears can get a little....odd, but that's just a personal opinion I guess lol.

C&D:
    • There's a few bugs in this one. Well it's pets, so It's rather expected to be fair. some of these may get updated.
    • Some pets might have a bit of a "vomit bug" in which they constantly vomit without the "vet clinic" option coming up
    • Your Pet can have a lot of obsessions and fears. So many that, you may end up changing the whole interior of your house lol. (or lock doors that helps too kinda).
    • Owned pets show up with their owners (sometimes without) in community lots: Like gyms, bars, nightclubs, etc...it gets pretty weird.
    • Might see a lot of pets around the world who are sick. (this happens to me but it might not happen to you.)
    • my personal biggest con: There's no pet UI. and honestly without it I do honestly forget their even there at times lol.

All in all, i'm okay with all of them. They all have flaws, and good parts.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • aujinehaujineh Posts: 454 Member
    Get Together - you will get hooked in so many ways. And be sure to get backyard stuff with that.

Then, of course, Get to Work if you want to explore the alien world. Or just go to work with your sims.

Then vampires - it's a whole new world by itself.
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited December 2017
    @Dreamie209 has been quite comprehensive in her review. Can't add anything much except what really puffs me up about them. I don't have the Cat and Dog one though so I can't say anything about that.

The GTW for the detective career. I was crushed when I realised that the basegame didn't come with a police career or that there was no firefighters or even a break-ins, so the detective career was my main reason to get that pack. Last patch was supposed to fix the bugs in that career but I haven't tested it out yet. Second reason; aliens! Do you like aliens? Then this pack is for you. The interractive careers is something I really like.

GT for the club system alone. The coffee houses are also a neat thing. I also really love the tinkle bush. Although I really don't like that my Sims can woohoo in the same place as they tinkle into :confounded: Gives a new meaning to the word showers.

CL for apartment living. Major con here is neighbourly disputes/warfare. Major pro is apartments :hushed::lol: Personally I love them. The festival are also a great additions. The other thing I really like is that the careers that come with it gives you an option of working at home. This is a feature I wish were implemented for more careers, especially the original ones from the basegame and GT.

You only asked for advice on the expansion packs but if you don't already have them, I'd definatly recommend looking into the Game packs and the Stuff packs. They bring good addition, IMO. My personal favorite is Outdoor Retreat for the vacation world and Spa day for the meditation and the teleportation feature. Dine Out is great because it gives us restaurants which is great for date night. Restaurants can be a bit buggy though. I don't have the vampire or the parent pack but they are definatly a next purchase next year. I just can't decide which to get first. I probably will just flip a coin or something.

Of the stuff packs I have all but the fitness and the backyard one. The ones I feel are essential is the Toddler pack so I can add toddler related play things to parks (useful for a family outing), the vintage stuff gives us the butler for the rich and idle, the perfect patio gives us hot tubs because what pool can be without one? Movie night because of popcorn and the romantic garden you get a wishing well that can be a bit moody. Watch out if he is peeved off.

The bowling one was a bit of a let down for me (I really looked forward to get it) as playing doesn't allow for any other interraction between players. How many bowling games do you do with your mouth zipped and ignoring your fellow players?!! Not even one high-five insight :disappointed:

Now this is just what I enjoy and get from the packs. Hopefully it will give you some insight and help you decide.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I'll complicate things -- consider buying two game packs instead of one EP. Vampires (if you like vampires) and Parenthood add a lot to the game; I think they add more than any of the EPs.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    I'll complicate things -- consider buying two game packs instead of one EP. Vampires (if you like vampires) and Parenthood add a lot to the game; I think they add more than any of the EPs.

I agree
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I actually haven't gotten Parenthood, but only because I'm not quite interested in actual parenting :p but it's all in how you play. Though if you're only going for an EP, then I did write a rating/review of sorts earlier that can be found here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16179758#Comment_16179758

But basically, Get Together is your best 'bang for your buck' overall.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • breezydeerbreezydeer Posts: 111 Member
    Pets!!! It adds the most of all EPs in my opinion, and is my favorite. It adds a whole new side to the game.