Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New to youtube, any advice?

KyliesswartzKyliesswartz Posts: 225 Member
Hello! I just started my channel yesterday and have uploaded 2 CAS and 1 Speedbuild. I am trying really hard and even just bought photoshop to make thumbnails. I am not asking for subs or likes but if one of you could check out my videos and see what I could improve upon that would be great! My channel is ThePinkPlumbob and my icon is a pink plumbob with pink sparkles around it (there are like 2 other channels with the same name, I should of done my research!) Thanks so much!
PS. I am working with iMovie so I don't have very good edited skills and the video quality is not good (Never have edited videos before yesterday) I am also not comfortable with sharing my voice and I don't have a mic so that is why I don't talk.

This is my newest video!
SIMS 4 SPEEDBUILD: Willow Creek Fitness!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D69qM3Z0R2E
Post edited by Kyliesswartz on

Comments

• aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    You've only just started and you're actually getting pretty good views for only posting videos as of yesterday. So well done!

Advice:
    - I'd make a banner with your logo on it
    - Promote on twitter (although I couldn't find you on twitter)
    - Custom thumbnails will help once you've got photoshop all up and running (although GIMP is free and easy to use)

The quality of your videos isn't bad at all. Do you use iMovie to film and edit?

I think you're doing pretty darn good for one day!
  • KyliesswartzKyliesswartz Posts: 225 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    You've only just started and you're actually getting pretty good views for only posting videos as of yesterday. So well done!

Advice:
    - Custom thumbnails will help once you've got photoshop all up and running (although GIMP is free and easy to use)

The quality of your videos isn't bad at all. Do you use iMovie to film and edit?

Thanks, do you know how to make a banner? Also I do promote on twitter, In the description of my videos I put my twitter handle. It is NoTimeForYouNow. I use iMovie to edit and I use QuickTimePlayer to film (I am on a Mac)

Advice:

Thanks, do you know how to make a banner? Also I do promote on twitter, In the description of my videos I put my twitter handle. It is NoTimeForYouNow. I use iMovie to edit and I use QuickTimePlayer to film (I am on a Mac)

You can make a banner with Photoshop.
    Ah ha - I went off of your videos and it just says your Twitter handle is NoTimeForYou.

I don't know much about working on a Mac but the quality of your videos isn't bad at all.

Advice:

You can make a banner with Photoshop.
    Ah ha - I went off of your videos and it just says your Twitter handle is NoTimeForYou.

I don't know much about working on a Mac but the quality of your videos isn't bad at all.

Thank you, I appreciate it! What is your channel name, I want to check you out!
    I'm theplumdot on all socials except for here.

I just found your twitter - I would use yoir thumbnails to promote videos and tag people.

When I first joined Twitter, I got involved with the community there - commenting on people's status, asking for people to follow, etc. In engaging with the community, I wouldn't do a sub for sub type of tweet. I genuinely only want people to sub if they like my comment. For me, I'm not in it for the numbers, I do because I like it and if someone enjoys my content too, that's the bonus!
    I'm theplumdot on all socials except for here.

I just found your twitter - I would use yoir thumbnails to promote videos and tag people.

When I first joined Twitter, I got involved with the community there - commenting on people's status, asking for people to follow, etc. In engaging with the community, I wouldn't do a sub for sub type of tweet. I genuinely only want people to sub if they like my comment. For me, I'm not in it for the numbers, I do because I like it and if someone enjoys my content too, that's the bonus!

I made a channel banner, do you mind checking it out?
    It works - try putting in your name or what type of content you make or when you upload.

Ooh also thought of another thing - intros and outros are always nice to see too.

It works - try putting in your name or what type of content you make or when you upload.

Ooh also thought of another thing - intros and outros are always nice to see too.

Thanks for your advice! I have an intro on my latest video and my channel banner has my name on it now. I also made a channel trailer that says what I make and when I upload. Do you think thats good enough?

Thanks for your advice! I have an intro on my latest video and my channel banner has my name on it now. I also made a channel trailer that says what I make and when I upload. Do you think thats good enough?

Should be :mrgreen: Good luck m'dear and remember to have fun with it :mrgreen:
  • allharlowseveallharlowseve Posts: 107 Member
    I'm All Harlow's Eve on Youtube and I'm currently restarting and rebranding my channel. I checked out your channel and it looks great. I've subbed! Everything looks amazing, the only thing I would watch out for would be the sizing of your thumbnail when you export it because some of them look off and have black bars. I know it's a very small thing (I didn't have much else to critique), but removing those black bars and keeping all your thumbnails looking clean and professional will really increase the likelihood of someone watching your videos. Hope it all works out for you!
    edited December 2017
    I'm All Harlow's Eve on Youtube and I'm currently restarting and rebranding my channel. I checked out your channel and it looks great. I've subbed! Everything looks amazing, the only thing I would watch out for would be the sizing of your thumbnail when you export it because some of them look off and have black bars. I know it's a very small thing (I didn't have much else to critique), but removing those black bars and keeping all your thumbnails looking clean and professional will really increase the likelihood of someone watching your videos. Hope it all works out for you!

Thanks so much! I subbed to you as well. I also fixed the thumbnails, you were right they looked bad.
  • pepper090889pepper090889 Posts: 3,354 Member
    Hi, @Kyliesswartz !! I checked out your channel and subscribed [I'm Artsie-Simmer]...and followed you on Twitter. Aside from what has already been said I did watch one of your speed builds and a CAS video. The quality isn't bad at all.

For CAS videos, I would suggest getting a mod called "blob remover". It just gets rid of the shadow under the sims in CAS. It's great if you plan on taking any full body photos in CAS and it looks better with the custom CAS background because it doesn't have a choppy blob at the Sims feet [In my opinion at least].

I also noticed in your speed build that the music stopped for the last few minutes of the video. It probably wouldn't bother too many people, but it's just something I noticed. I wasn't sure if it was an accident or something, but I thought I'd point it out. Also, for speed builds I like to add screenshots of the build at the end of the video. Some people do video tours before or after the speed build and I think it usually helps to see the full build. Especially as a viewer. Sometimes the speed build part goes a bit too quickly and you can't notice too many of the details. In the beginning I did get comments about including a top down screenshot of the layout of each floor too.

And, as @aricarai suggested, Twitter is great for meeting other Sims YouTubers and making friends in the community. Pretty much everyone I've come into contact with are very supportive and friendly and it's a great place to find others to collab with and get creative feedback and advice. If you go to your About tab on YouTube you can add your twitter and other social links to your banner and about page. I couldn't actually find you when I searched your name on my first couple of tries, but that could just be because I'm incompetent. But I know for me, when I find a new channel, I usually don't check the description for social links, I typically look at the banner for those things.

I wouldn't worry so much about not doing voice overs right now. I didn't do my first voice over for almost a year after I started my channel.

Overall, I think you're doing a great job. Especially for only starting a few days ago. It's a learning process and the more you keep up your channel and the more interaction you have with subscribers and others in the community you'll learn and try new things. The important thing is to just have fun with it. :)
    ofNj4ul
  • imJustMexoxoimJustMexoxo Posts: 15 Member
    @Kyliesswartz
    Just looked on your channel and it looks good so far, and cute. Going to sub for support!
    Just as long as you are having fun and being consistent.

If you would like to check me out guys (I cannot put a link), you can search on YouTube 'Scarfie' and I should be there (My profile picture is a female sim wearing a white hat and black top).

I would love suggestions and/or any comments.

Good luck!
    Hi, @Kyliesswartz !! I checked out your channel and subscribed [I'm Artsie-Simmer]...and followed you on Twitter. Aside from what has already been said I did watch one of your speed builds and a CAS video. The quality isn't bad at all.

For CAS videos, I would suggest getting a mod called "blob remover". It just gets rid of the shadow under the sims in CAS. It's great if you plan on taking any full body photos in CAS and it looks better with the custom CAS background because it doesn't have a choppy blob at the Sims feet [In my opinion at least].

I also noticed in your speed build that the music stopped for the last few minutes of the video. It probably wouldn't bother too many people, but it's just something I noticed. I wasn't sure if it was an accident or something, but I thought I'd point it out. Also, for speed builds I like to add screenshots of the build at the end of the video. Some people do video tours before or after the speed build and I think it usually helps to see the full build. Especially as a viewer. Sometimes the speed build part goes a bit too quickly and you can't notice too many of the details. In the beginning I did get comments about including a top down screenshot of the layout of each floor too.

And, as @aricarai suggested, Twitter is great for meeting other Sims YouTubers and making friends in the community. Pretty much everyone I've come into contact with are very supportive and friendly and it's a great place to find others to collab with and get creative feedback and advice. If you go to your About tab on YouTube you can add your twitter and other social links to your banner and about page. I couldn't actually find you when I searched your name on my first couple of tries, but that could just be because I'm incompetent. But I know for me, when I find a new channel, I usually don't check the description for social links, I typically look at the banner for those things.

I wouldn't worry so much about not doing voice overs right now. I didn't do my first voice over for almost a year after I started my channel.

Overall, I think you're doing a great job. Especially for only starting a few days ago. It's a learning process and the more you keep up your channel and the more interaction you have with subscribers and others in the community you'll learn and try new things. The important thing is to just have fun with it. :)

Thank you so much for your feedback! I added a blob remover so in my next CAS it should look better. I did know that the music ended early, it was the end of the video and I didn't feel the need to add more music (Thanks for telling me though!) and I will be adding screen shots at the end of my speedbuilds now (good idea!). I added my twitter account onto my banner so people can find it now! Also, do you have any suggestions on who on twitter to reach out to? Thanks!
  • pepper090889pepper090889 Posts: 3,354 Member
    @Kyliesswartz Other Sims YouTubers would be a good start. Smaller channels typically try to help each other out a lot. Also, you can follow the Sim Gurus and tag them when posting links or photos to your videos. If you have a sub goal, you can tweet it out with a link to your channel and other Simmers will often retweet and sub to your channel which will bring in more comments and advice from different people who may have additional feedback and critiques for you.
    ofNj4ul
  • TerezaSims85TerezaSims85 Posts: 114 Member
    > @Kyliesswartz said:
    > Hello! I just started my channel yesterday and have uploaded 2 CAS and 1 Speedbuild. I am trying really hard and even just bought photoshop to make thumbnails. I am not asking for subs or likes but if one of you could check out my videos and see what I could improve upon that would be great! My channel is ThePinkPlumbob and my icon is a pink plumbob with pink sparkles around it (there are like 2 other channels with the same name, I should of done my research!) Thanks so much!
    > PS. I am working with iMovie so I don't have very good edited skills and the video quality is not good (Never have edited videos before yesterday) I am also not comfortable with sharing my voice and I don't have a mic so that is why I don't talk.
    >
    > This is my newest video!
    > SIMS 4 SPEEDBUILD: Newcrest Farmers Market!

Liked and subd..:)
    > @Kyliesswartz said:
    > Hello! I just started my channel yesterday and have uploaded 2 CAS and 1 Speedbuild. I am trying really hard and even just bought photoshop to make thumbnails. I am not asking for subs or likes but if one of you could check out my videos and see what I could improve upon that would be great! My channel is ThePinkPlumbob and my icon is a pink plumbob with pink sparkles around it (there are like 2 other channels with the same name, I should of done my research!) Thanks so much!
    > PS. I am working with iMovie so I don't have very good edited skills and the video quality is not good (Never have edited videos before yesterday) I am also not comfortable with sharing my voice and I don't have a mic so that is why I don't talk.
    >
    > SIMS 4 SPEEDBUILD: Newcrest Farmers Market!

Liked and subd..:)

Thanks! Do you have a channel? I would love to check you out! <3
  • zoeh7zoeh7 Posts: 133 Member
    I’ve checked out your channel and for only starting not long ago... wow. There’s not a lot that I can critique you on. However, I will say try to upload more, obviously not all the time because it’s not like this is your full job and you probably don’t have a lot of time too. Also try to use a different variety of music in your videos. From the videos that I’ve seen, you are using the same music in all of them, just make sure not to get a copyright strike. Overall I think you have got a great start and will get even better in the future. :)
    Origin ID: Th3SimsFactory
    Please add me on Origin!
    > @Kyliesswartz said:
    > TerezaSims85 wrote: »
    >
    > > @Kyliesswartz said:
    > > Hello! I just started my channel yesterday and have uploaded 2 CAS and 1 Speedbuild. I am trying really hard and even just bought photoshop to make thumbnails. I am not asking for subs or likes but if one of you could check out my videos and see what I could improve upon that would be great! My channel is ThePinkPlumbob and my icon is a pink plumbob with pink sparkles around it (there are like 2 other channels with the same name, I should of done my research!) Thanks so much!
    > > PS. I am working with iMovie so I don't have very good edited skills and the video quality is not good (Never have edited videos before yesterday) I am also not comfortable with sharing my voice and I don't have a mic so that is why I don't talk.
    > >
    > > This is my newest video!
    > > SIMS 4 SPEEDBUILD: Newcrest Farmers Market!
    >
    > Liked and subd..:)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks! Do you have a channel? I would love to check you out! <3

Yeah, can't get a link but I'm on youtube as Tereza Sims :) would be happy if you check out some my videos and let me know what do you think :)
    millsmolls wrote: »
    I’ve checked out your channel and for only starting not long ago... wow. There’s not a lot that I can critique you on. However, I will say try to upload more, obviously not all the time because it’s not like this is your full job and you probably don’t have a lot of time too. Also try to use a different variety of music in your videos. From the videos that I’ve seen, you are using the same music in all of them, just make sure not to get a copyright strike. Overall I think you have got a great start and will get even better in the future. :)

Thanks for the advice! I downloaded some new music and I will try to upload more! <3
    > @Kyliesswartz said:
    >
    > > @Kyliesswartz said:
    > > Hello! I just started my channel yesterday and have uploaded 2 CAS and 1 Speedbuild. I am trying really hard and even just bought photoshop to make thumbnails. I am not asking for subs or likes but if one of you could check out my videos and see what I could improve upon that would be great! My channel is ThePinkPlumbob and my icon is a pink plumbob with pink sparkles around it (there are like 2 other channels with the same name, I should of done my research!) Thanks so much!
    > > PS. I am working with iMovie so I don't have very good edited skills and the video quality is not good (Never have edited videos before yesterday) I am also not comfortable with sharing my voice and I don't have a mic so that is why I don't talk.
    > >
    > > This is my newest video!
    > > SIMS 4 SPEEDBUILD: Newcrest Farmers Market!
    >
    > Liked and subd..:)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks! Do you have a channel? I would love to check you out! <3

Yeah, can't get a link but I'm on youtube as Tereza Sims :) would be happy if you check out some my videos and let me know what do you think :)

I subscribed! <3
    > @Kyliesswartz said:
    >
    > > @Kyliesswartz said:
    > > TerezaSims85 wrote: »
    > >
    > > > @Kyliesswartz said:
    > > > Hello! I just started my channel yesterday and have uploaded 2 CAS and 1 Speedbuild. I am trying really hard and even just bought photoshop to make thumbnails. I am not asking for subs or likes but if one of you could check out my videos and see what I could improve upon that would be great! My channel is ThePinkPlumbob and my icon is a pink plumbob with pink sparkles around it (there are like 2 other channels with the same name, I should of done my research!) Thanks so much!
    > > > PS. I am working with iMovie so I don't have very good edited skills and the video quality is not good (Never have edited videos before yesterday) I am also not comfortable with sharing my voice and I don't have a mic so that is why I don't talk.
    > > >
    > > > This is my newest video!
    > > > SIMS 4 SPEEDBUILD: Newcrest Farmers Market!
    > >
    > > Liked and subd..:)
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Thanks! Do you have a channel? I would love to check you out! <3
    >
    > Yeah, can't get a link but I'm on youtube as Tereza Sims :) would be happy if you check out some my videos and let me know what do you think :)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I subscribed! <3

You are awesome, thank you so much! I really appreciate it
  • krabby_pattiesskrabby_pattiess Posts: 358 Member
    I subbed to your channel! I just started out last year.
    My blog where you can catch my simming: https://caitsims.wordpress.com/
  • smh678smh678 Posts: 92 Member
    > @Kyliesswartz said:
    >
    > SIMS 4 SPEEDBUILD: Willow Creek Fitness!

I am a part time youtuber. Some advice is to use Fotor to make a youtube thumbnail and logo. You can drag and drop pictures, add text, effects, shapes and decals. Its very easy to use and free. Also, use screen cast o matic pro version or OBS recording software if you plan to live stream.
    I subbed to your channel! I just started out last year.

Thanks so much, what is your channel name, I would love to check you out!