Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best Of. Seriously?

When I visit the forum my first stop is the Best Of category. It shows which posts, discussions, etc are trending. The Best Of currently consists of posts from one year ago made by @PHOEBESMOM601.
http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/bestof/everything
How does this happen? It happens when someone goes back and likes a post that already had a lot of likes. Thus, throwing it back into the best of category. You can also see that this poster is currently at the top of the leaderboard. Leading one to believe that someone has gone back and liked all of this users posts. What is wrong with people that put such stock in something so meaningless? I don't care but when it effects how the Best Of is actually supposed to work then it is a problem. So seriously. Just stop.
@EA_Lanna
@EA_Mage
@EA_Spectre
@EA_Leeloo
@EA_DarDar

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I thought Best Of was when a post had more likes or awesomes (or it used to be agrees) than any other. Just because a statement or image or whatever is sort of old doesn't mean it's not the best of what was said or shown this week. It's all based on voting isn't it? By likes or awesomes or something. And I think gurus can bump stuff, too.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Simulator4Simulator4 Posts: 652 Member
    @Cinebar you all just refuse to acknowledge what's going on. You're at the top of this week's leaderboard because someone went back and liked all your posts. Same for phoebemom. And when they liked some of her popular posts from 2 years ago it caused them to show up again in best of.
    edited December 2017
    Simulator4 wrote: »
    @Cinebar you all just refuse to acknowledge what's going on. You're at the top of this week's leaderboard because someone went back and liked all your posts. Same for phoebemom. And when they liked some of her popular posts from 2 years ago it caused them to show up again in best of.

What? I don't even look at the leaderboard. So what? I went to see what you were talking about and I saw a few of mine where they got a lot of likes (like seventeen, woo, that's a lot?) Maybe people agree with me? I think they do...sometimes. Best of used to have fights and rude comments as the very best..so now you want to change it to what? It depends on how many awesomes or likes a thread gets. And I'm pretty sure by going back and looking at the numbers on some of my comments I had posted last week or last month, those 'likes' were already there..because I'm funny. ROFL. Seriously I know many who agreed with me about C&D bugs.

Believe what you want but what does Phoebe have to do with me? and so what if someone (whoever) liked one of her post or comments? Who cares who is on a leaderboard? Only those that have an ego.

ETA: And if I am on the leaderboard this week, I have spent the last three months in TS2 section where we don't mind liking or disagreeing about stuff. Maybe I got a few likes for pictures of custom content and hoods I have been building/Sim modeling etc. :o I know I got a few everytime I change my avi to show what I have been doing...since I don't have a picture service I change my avi almost three times a week. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    I'm not seeing the problem in that. There's nothing saying that the Best Of has to be best for this week. Just best of ever. It's obviously weighted to posts liked recently.

Just because a post is old doesn't mean that there's any reason why it shouldn't show up in the Best of section.

And maybe a poster saw an insightful post by phoebesmom and later by Cinebar and decided to go read more of their posts for more information on the games they play and they liked the posts they liked.

If you think it's a problem, how do you propose it get fixed? If it's even able to be fixed given the limitations of the forum software?
  • Simulator4Simulator4 Posts: 652 Member
    So here's what I've seen in the last week. Mikezumi knocked phoebemom off the all time leaderboard last week and now someone has gone back and liked all her posts to get her back on. I don't care about the stupid leaderboard but when it effects how the forum is supposed to work then it's a problem. And no I don't know what to do to fix it which is why I tagged the mods.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2017
    I've only ever been on the Leader Boards for about five seconds myself (that I've noticed anyway, and like most members don't really care). But instead of seeing the entire Leader and Best Of features as some sort of contest or this thing where evil, sneaky members or their evil, sneaky fanbase are gaming the system with retroactive likes, perhaps it could be viewed as merely a source of potentially interesting things to read when one is already caught up on their currently being tracked conversations?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited December 2017
    Simulator4 wrote: »
    So here's what I've seen in the last week. Mikezumi knocked phoebemom off the all time leaderboard last week and now someone has gone back and liked all her posts to get her back on. I don't care about the stupid leaderboard but when it effects how the forum is supposed to work then it's a problem. And no I don't know what to do to fix it which is why I tagged the mods.

Maybe the count is a leaderboard glitch? But considering how many points she and or I had, do you realize people would have to bump the numbers up into the thoussands. I have been the leader of the leader board only surpased by Rose and Sparkfairy live time points but got more involved when I went back to TS2. And I did comment often about the C&D EP before it came out. Go look at how many posts I have created, over 900. And how many replies over 20,000...and you want to tell me that's all fake? O.k. No one ever agreed with me in over 20,000 comments in three years. :/ lol.. Be serious. The numbers bear out it stands to reason if you make more comments you would have more numbers. But who cares anyway?
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    Well there's nothing in the rules that state that we're not allowed to go back to older posts from 2+ years ago and hit Like, Insightful or Awesome, now is there? And there's probably no way to turn off Insightful, Like or Awesome from older posts as that then would turn them off from newer posts as well. So people should just deal with the fact that as long as the moderators keep these buttons, then we're allowed to hit these buttons on the older posts. There have been several older posts from the old TS3 forums that have been resurrected due to New Members adding their comments to them either thinking that they're helping solve the OP's problems and not realizing that the thread that they're posting in is ancient or they're adding TS4 solutions to TS3 threads. So once these threads have been revived, other forum members take a look in them thinking that they're new and start hitting Insightful, Like or Awesome.

So really, there's nothing wrong with going back to older threads and hitting Insightful, Awesome or Like.

And I hope that we do hear from one of EA_members that was tagged to see what their view is on this thread

And I also agree what @Seera1024 has said about someone reading an insightful post by Phoebesmom or anyone else that may be on the leaderboard list that might not have posted in a while. The people who have hit whichever button on Phoebesmom have every right to go and read other posts made by that person and give out whatever they think that post deserves.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,405 Member
    edited December 2017
    Jeesh, I'm on the "Best of" twice and both were for "frustration-rants". Oh well... Back to TS3 Simming. :D Yay.

I'm on the Leaderboard again?: :confused: Oh well...

And Congrats to @Cinebar who is in the lead. :D +3 more points AWESOMED. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Cinebar I awesome and without a doubt one of the best posters on the forums so it is no wonder they get some points as they are actually one of the few who actually care about the series enough to put time into writing about fair and balanced threads over the past three years! :smiley:

Also, @Nikkei_Simmer I enjoy your updates as well even though I haven't had much time to comment as much lately it is still good to see you posting and also thanks for your update in my Christmas thread.

As for the 'Best of' area I never look in there. It is one of those features that turn out to be useless a bit like the badges and of course the notorious 'points' which everyone seems to complain about from time to time
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    edited December 2017
    @king_of_simcity7 Thanks. I tend to do mostly updates...and spend the majority of my time in the TS3 forums. Is it just my impression that most of the Top Leaderboard members are from TS3 and TS2 forums? :) And it stands to reason since most of them (with the exception of me) have been there for a LOOOOOOOOONG time. :) Me: I just tend to have a big mouth and yap a lot. :D:mrgreen:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited December 2017
    I really don't understand this...

A like is a like, an awesome is an awesome, insightful is insightful. If I went to google to search for a TS4 problem I had in my game (or even use the search box on this forum). I'd possibly find a old thread that leads to here. Obviously I don't want to necro an old thread. So I would simply like it because it helped me out. It's no different from going to the EA help and hitting a "helpful" button.

Also not everyone has been on here as long as the rest of us have. Or are just learning about TS4 things (heck maybe even the older games I bet). If they look up a thread that helps them understand both sides, and perhaps they agree with a post that's (believed to be) a 'negative' or 'positive' should they honestly be shamed for that?

To be honest, I had no idea of this "Best Of" feature. I'm guessing they added around the time I took a big break from the forums. But c'mon, this isn't even advertised. I probably would have never known about it if this thread wasn't made. Imagine someone whose new to the forums and is looking at old threads to help them with either a bug, or why something is/not what they expected to be, or maybe a post explain why [enter feature here] should/shouldn't be and it's something they agree on. Any of those posts could be good or bad depending on the person's viewpoint. And if it speaks to the new person, why shouldn't they "like" it instead of necro'ing?

But to put into a thought of conspiracy....that's a bit much.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
    @Nikkei_Simmer TS3 players always make the 'leader board' it seems and for that reason people have been complaining about it for a long time. I myself am getting tired of it though as every other week now someone brings it up and questioning it. In the end we will lose our likes and awesomes just people some players don't like it (no pun intended) just like we lost our lol button or disagree because some players got offended when someone disagreed with their post.

Over on Facebook you have similar reactions and a notification if you get a like. I get dozens of likes if I dare lets say, speak out against a certain politician for example (the one who thinks that he is PM for some reason) however I will also get someone laughing at me or the odd angry reply. The good thing is though when I get notified from who likes my comment and it is from a regular poster I know that they have got my back in a debate.

Now for The Sims forums I would expect for things to be taken less seriously but after the history of the forums over the past few yeas, experience tells me that the smallest of things can be blown out of proportion.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    edited December 2017
    The fact of the matter is the Weekly Leaderboard is cumulative based on the daily posts for that week which hence are liked/awesomed and totaled up at the end of the week. Those who haven't been on the forums long enough haven't built up posts to get on the Lifetime Leaderboards and probably never will as all the posters on the Lifetime Leaderboards are active still (thankfully - and we can benefit from their experience... THANK YOU @Cinebar). And the This Week's Leaders - are just that... We have a number of posts to choose from that have been built up that people will stumble across and comment and like or awesome. It's a fair system. And lately TS3 Forums HAS been showing a lot more activity due to disgruntlement with the iteration that shall not be named. I'm seeing a fair amount of people that are not satisfied that are jumping back to older iterations of the Sims and hence the reason why TS3 posters are on the Leaderboards more often. Points are handed out on a merit basis based on how informative/funny/enjoyable one's post is and are merit based. There's no participation trophy...at the end of it. Just the satisfaction that you may have helped someone, notified someone of something they didn't realize or known before or brightened someone's day with a laugh.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    How do you even access the leaderboard?
    edited December 2017
    Didn't even know until today. But you can see it under ACTIVITY.

Y'know...where it says Categories, Discussions, Activity Best Of? At the top of the page.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Dreamie209 wrote: »
    I really don't understand this...

A like is a like, an awesome is an awesome, insightful is insightful. If I went to google to search for a TS4 problem I had in my game (or even use the search box on this forum). I'd possibly find a old thread that leads to here. Obviously I don't want to necro an old thread. So I would simply like it because it helped me out. It's no different from going to the EA help and hitting a "helpful" button.

Also not everyone has been on here as long as the rest of us have. Or are just learning about TS4 things (heck maybe even the older games I bet). If they look up a thread that helps them understand both sides, and perhaps they agree with a post that's (believed to be) a 'negative' or 'positive' should they honestly be shamed for that?

To be honest, I had no idea of this "Best Of" feature. I'm guessing they added around the time I took a big break from the forums. But c'mon, this isn't even advertised. I probably would have never known about it if this thread wasn't made. Imagine someone whose new to the forums and is looking at old threads to help them with either a bug, or why something is/not what they expected to be, or maybe a post explain why [enter feature here] should/shouldn't be and it's something they agree on. Any of those posts could be good or bad depending on the person's viewpoint. And if it speaks to the new person, why shouldn't they "like" it instead of necro'ing?

But to put into a thought of conspiracy....that's a bit much.

@Dreamie209, thank you for posting this. We do have new or even older members who end up using Google and any other search feature on the internet for issues with whichever game they're having a problem with and the web search brings up older posts made on the old TS3. So that person will then take a look at a thread or several threads that their search has brought up and hand out Insightfuls, Likes or Awesomes as well as doing a comment to either say thank you to the members who have replied to that older thread or to say that they had the same issue as the OP and that the solutions in the thread indeed works on fixing them.

Why some members seem to think that there is some foul playing going on here is beyond me. Maybe it's because "The Best of" seems to have more TS3 posts listed than TS4, so they seem to have the need to complain that their favorite Sims game isn't getting as much attention as the older Sims games is. Or maybe it's the other way around with TS4 being on there more than TS3. Maybe it's because they think that certain threads should be there while others have no place on that list. Or maybe they feel that none of their threads that they have created is ever on "The Best Of" page because everyone is still looking at older threads that's still being viewed and commented on day in and day out.

Some members are under the assumption that some of the people on the leaderboard have "other" accounts that they use to give themselves Insightfuls, Likes or Awesomes so that they can stay on the leaderboard week after week. But I really don't think that anyone is going to take the risk of possibly getting one or both of their accounts ban thus making them start all over on this forum to gain full membership.
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    Some members are under the assumption that some of the people on the leaderboard have "other" accounts that they use to give themselves Insightfuls, Likes or Awesomes so that they can stay on the leaderboard week after week. But I really don't think that anyone is going to take the risk of possibly getting one or both of their accounts ban thus making them start all over on this forum to gain full membership.

Wow... BWA HA HA HA HA... :D I think ALL of the people on the leaderboard are mature players who don't go for that kind of hijinks. Craven is close to my age, And I'm sure several on that leaderboard are older than I am. We don't deal in juvenile hijinks.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    @Nikkei_Simmer TS3 players always make the 'leader board' it seems and for that reason people have been complaining about it for a long time. I myself am getting tired of it though as every other week now someone brings it up and questioning it. In the end we will lose our likes and awesomes just people some players don't like it (no pun intended) just like we lost our lol button or disagree because some players got offended when someone disagreed with their post.

Over on Facebook you have similar reactions and a notification if you get a like. I get dozens of likes if I dare lets say, speak out against a certain politician for example (the one who thinks that he is PM for some reason) however I will also get someone laughing at me or the odd angry reply. The good thing is though when I get notified from who likes my comment and it is from a regular poster I know that they have got my back in a debate.

Now for The Sims forums I would expect for things to be taken less seriously but after the history of the forums over the past few yeas, experience tells me that the smallest of things can be blown out of proportion.

This.

And if they should ever get rid of all the buttons, then the posts that would show up on "The Best of" would be threads that gets commented on the most. Meaning that if there are threads made 2+ years ago that still gets several comments made to them every day, then they would be the ones to show up on a daily basis on that list. And if that should happen, then there would be some people that would still complain about it. There's no pleasing anyone around here as there will still be complainers about this or that over here and yell that there's a conspiracy on everything that this site has to offer.
    @Nikkei_Simmer Players have been going back to TS3 for a long time now as 'that other game' is still not doing it for some people. The latest iteration, or 'irritation' perhaps has had a very slow build up and despite the addition of toddlers, there is still no major hype to compare with what TS3 had in it's first year. In fact the addition of toddlers showed many players who came back to TS4 for the short term that it was not the lack off toddlers was what they did not like but the game itself. Those who liked TS4 anyway still played of course while many disappeared completely. The decline on the 'EA silence on family play' thread shows that quite clearly as even though players do post in it, many have moved on to either other threads of different places completely.

As for the 'What happened in your game today?' thread, it gets updates regularly and has grown a lot in the last few months. It still has quieter days but it is the centre of the TS3 community at the moment and it is still likely to bring new members over time with most of those active six months ago still posting in it now. Many players do seem to give out likes and or awesomes and due to the huge amount readers, a few of with only seldom post themselves it makes sense that a few players get leaderboard boosts. There is still that mystery of why I once got twice as many points as anyone else but I do wonder if that was when the mods had to fix my profile after the mysterious 'incident' involving my profile a few months ago. I will say that I have mentioned this to the mods myself and I hope that they keep an eye on things to prevent that ever happening again. :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    lisasc360 wrote: »

Wow... BWA HA HA HA HA... :D I think ALL of the people on the leaderboard are mature players who don't go for that kind of hijinks. Craven is close to my age, And I'm sure several on that leaderboard are older than I am. We don't deal in juvenile hijinks.

@Nikkei_Simmer, exactly... :) Most of the people on the leaderboard could care less about it or didn't know anything about the leaderboard as they're not into such things. I think that the ones who assume that this is happening are ones that have never been on the leaderboard even though they do make several posts during the week. And because they post a lot during the week, they probably also expect to get several Insightfuls, Likes or Awesomes on their posts.
    edited December 2017
    @lisasc360 And...logic would indicate that they would have to log-out to log-in as a different account. That means their visits would be exponentially higher.
    USERNAME
    Nikkei_Simmer
    VISITS

Why are my visits 20 when I have over 2056 posts including those that aren't counted in Off-Topic Chat?

One reason: I hate logging out and having to log back in. Thank you Sims Forums for letting me Camp Out so that I'm ALWAYS on when I open up my browser and come onto the forum. :D

Update: Now I'm curious... Refreshed...Guess what boys and girls...it now rolled over to the new week... :D I'm still on it. :confused:

Whoopie. :smirk:

Update to Update: And now...I'm off. Hey @igazor.... saw you were up there now. :D
    ...and no I'm not interested in the Leaderboard...nor am I posting just for the sake of getting on there. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    @lisasc360 And...logic would indicate that they would have to log-out to log-in as a different account. That means their visits would be exponentially higher.
    USERNAME
    Nikkei_Simmer
    VISITS

Why are my visits 20 when I have over 2056 posts including those that aren't counted in Off-Topic Chat?

One reason: I hate logging out and having to log back in. Thank you Sims Forums for letting me Camp Out so that I'm ALWAYS on when I open up my browser and come onto the forum. :D

@Nikkei_Simmer, exactly... :) My Visit count is 1220 but that doesn't mean that I have an extra account. It just means that even though I tend to stay logged in that there are times that I will get logged out due to the fact that when this site puts up the little notices up top of the home page to let everyone know of new updates for TS4 or for maintenance on the old TS3. Or when I have to clear out my browser history and have to log back in since it clears out my log-in info. Or when I'm using my tablet and I've been logged out due to having to clear browser history off the tablet to make it run better.

I'm like you, I would rather stay logged in even when I'm not on the internet but sometimes that doesn't happen due to the reasons that I've stated above... :)
    Your visit count would have to be numbering in the 65K+ range before it would be deemed as suspicious. Because then that's a matter of logging out and logging in for some suspicious reason.

Like if my visit count was 10K from the time that I first joined in March.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Your visit count would have to be numbering in the 65K+ range before it would be deemed as suspicious. Because then that's a matter of logging out and logging in for some suspicious reason.

Like if my visit count was 10K from the time that I first joined in March.

Exactly this...
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top