Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why isn't this a thing yet?

When will our Sims be able to recognize self-employment? I hate that it says my business owner Sims are unemployed.

Comments

• agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    I hope they'll do something about it in the future.

Super annoying to have a business owner sim with the ambitious trait, because their "unemployment" makes them tense all the time.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I know - that is nuts. If you own a business - you definitely are not unemployed. LOL.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    There should also be the option to be self employed in terms of a skill, like in The Sims 3.
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,827 Member
    I ended up getting a mod because I just couldn't take it anymore.
  • knitsybitsyknitsybitsy Posts: 78 Member
    There should be a work from home status. If you go out and go fishing, collect gems and fossils and garden, you can make a lot more money in one day than working. I have my sims plant tons of blackberries and just farming those is the best income. If I knew people in real life who did things like this and were wealthy, I would not be judgmental. I would probably want to quit my own job and figure out how to do those things too! People who work from home are great people, to me. If you are able to do that and be happy and productive, go for it.
  • Bananacupcake1Bananacupcake1 Posts: 60 Member
    Saaaame. I often have sims who run retail stores or make livings off of craft making. I understand for things like collectors and gardeners as the activities are fairly specific and random but for crafting and retail, it should be listed as self employed or at least receive some form of career acknowledgement. My sims ain't no lazy layabouts lol.
  • PolluxSimsPolluxSims Posts: 318 Member
    There should be a work from home status. If you go out and go fishing, collect gems and fossils and garden, you can make a lot more money in one day than working. I have my sims plant tons of blackberries and just farming those is the best income. If I knew people in real life who did things like this and were wealthy, I would not be judgmental. I would probably want to quit my own job and figure out how to do those things too! People who work from home are great people, to me. If you are able to do that and be happy and productive, go for it.

I agree with this and OP - these should all be considered self-employment. Not just with collecting but with things like painting, writing, etc. And owning businesses, too.
    Read my Sawyer Legacy Simlit on Wordpress
    - Origin ID: PolluxSims -
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Self Employment NEEDS to happen, it’s so annoying.

All these things we can do in game, yet my Sim is “unemployed”

Gahh.
  • MelanieScribblesMelanieScribbles Posts: 161 Member
    Self-employment in the Sims should definitely happen. Especially with the ambitious trait thing that OP mentioned before, because it would make sense to need that trait to be self-employed in the first place. I don't know why, but it just seems logical. Maybe it's because you need to enjoy what you do, plus have the desire to grow if you want to be self-employed.

Either way, Maxis... PLEASE make self-employment a thing. You did something extremely close to it with the top levels of the Painter career, and that worked out well. So a similar thing can be done in the Get to Work pack.
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    I hope they include it as a career option like in the Sims 3. I liked being able to make money from home, but also have ‘promotions’ with bonus money.
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    Definately agree! 3 years in I cant believe this isn't something that's been patched in. With the packs being released where you can be a business owner, plus gardening and painting being such money makers, it should be a base game thing.
  • LumiastaLumiasta Posts: 171 Member
    I would love this. Also carers like writer and painter should get a work-from-home update, since it would make more sense to do those from home.
  • Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    My sims own and run a very successful restaurant and are considered unemployed . :/
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    For those of you who use mods, check this from @Neia - http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=588065
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    I installed that mod yesterday @luthienrising
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    For those of you who use mods, check this from @Neia - http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=588065

Which one of the 5 did you download?
  • aero2491aero2491 Posts: 55 Member
    I think the sims should have it were not only teens but young adults and adults can work part-time jobs.

All 5 for me @catmando830 I'll use them for different Sims
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    ikiamyetta wrote: »

All 5 for me @catmando830 I'll use them for different Sims

Does it still work after the patch and 'cats and dogs'?
    edited December 2017
    Yes, I just installed it two days ago @catmando830
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Ugh just seeing this thread over and over takes me back to Get To Work when one of the Guru’s was like “I don’t see how that can’t be done” when someone asked if Self Employed was coming.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I want this to
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • MaryJosMaryJos Posts: 4,935 Member
    I so want this too. I hate it when you try to hire staff to have the bottom part filled with business owners.
  • JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    So much is still missing from this game and that's another one of them. The current careers are a mess, there's no working from home, and they didn't give us enough career options from the start. I really wish they had kept the more motivated sims from TS3 instead of the lazy, talk on their mobile device all days sims we got in TS4. They need to bring back things like the workaholic trait and give sims an actual boss they can schmooze up to for raises and promotions. I find that the retail career just isn't worth it either as your sim basically is stuck at their shop all day if you want to make any money. I would like more non-active career options for sims with a family. It really sucks that they turned medical and science into active careers because you can't really do those unless you're playing a single sim household.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Jestina wrote: »
    So much is still missing from this game and that's another one of them. The current careers are a mess, there's no working from home, and they didn't give us enough career options from the start. I really wish they had kept the more motivated sims from TS3 instead of the lazy, talk on their mobile device all days sims we got in TS4. They need to bring back things like the workaholic trait and give sims an actual boss they can schmooze up to for raises and promotions. I find that the retail career just isn't worth it either as your sim basically is stuck at their shop all day if you want to make any money. I would like more non-active career options for sims with a family. It really plum that they turned medical and science into active careers because you can't really do those unless you're playing a single sim household.

Ownable businesses work best in rotational games. If all your sims eat/buy/get pet care at your owned businesses, then your business owners get a nice lump sum of profits when you rotate back to them.

With active careers I go to work with the active sim (to enable the active work day), then switch back to the household to complete any work/school tasks that are due, before switching back to the active career sim and getting at least tier 1/bronze performance for the day. If everyone else has completed their daily tasks, I might spend extra time on the active career to work on promotion, or I might spend the time with the rest of the household doing hobbies/social things.