Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unpopular opinions about ts4

Comments

• aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Oh - I forgot to mention one popular opinion - multi-tasking that so many claim to love - I detest it.

Everytime we ask for anything we like a lot in previous sims games - like slow dancing, bed cuddling and spooning, holding and walking around with our newborns, pool lounge chairs, Couples dancing together; romantic picnics on a blanket off the top of my head - I hear - well that is a problem because of multi-tasking. Then I think to myself I have to trade all that just so my sim can eat lunch on the toilet - REALLY Maxis?

So I really hate multi-tasking if all the little sort of humanizing interactions our sims could do in previous games can't be done in Sims 4, then I wish we didn't have multi-tasking - I know this is an unpopular opinion as all I hear is how much people love to multi-task. I just wonder do any of them realize what multi-tasking is costing us to have - when their sim cannot even lounge by the pool - something they have done since Sims 1 even.

Maybe that also explains why dogs can't sleep in the sims beds too.

But yeah when we have to trade all the best game reactions and play in the Sims games for multi-tasking - I wish we did not have it. It is not worth what we lost. I want slow dancing and lounge chairs, not poop and eat at the same time. (That is so gross by the way - there just aren't any words to say once you have seen your sim do that.)

I didn't know some of those things being omitted were due to multitasking...If that's the case, why didn't they just do multitasking like they did in the Sims 3 and stop trying to convince people that's a never before seen feature?
  • VraieVraie Posts: 196 Member
    edited December 2017
    I agree with No 3. I mean, I am thinking about getting C&D now because of the sale and I really want the CAS and BB items, but I don't really want pets in my game. Tough decision.
    Even worse for me though is laundry. I don't get why people want it in their game so badly and I never will.

All of this. I want the curly hair but it isn't happening. I don't want the pets, so that's that for me with that EP. But I love reading other people's threads on playing Pets, which is just weird.
    As for laundry, I don't like doing that in real life, but anyway.

My unpopular/unusual opinion on the Sims 4.

Sims 4 allows for a lot of creative play because of the fluidity of relationships and all the possibilities that allows (including step-families, the possibility for surrogacy, intergender and transgender relationships and so on). I don't have any issue with storytelling. I think that's probably because I tend to build stories around an incident that happens int he game, rather than trying to design the game around my story. I think that makes it much easier to have really intricate stories for my sims. I like the random factor. The same is true for me in Sims 2 with storytelling but there are restrictions in things like step-families and jealous/angry kids/broken parental relations which Sims 4 has overcome for me with many more options.

So for me, Sims 4 is really condusive to creative play and imaginative storytelling. I've seen a lot of people who don't think so, but my experience is otherwise.

I don't really want an open world format. If that's an unpopular opinion then that's one for me as well. Nothing wrong with open world, but I like the current format. The only thing I would change with it (which may or may not be unpopular) is that I miss a sim being able to move out without having to actively go out of the household to switch around families. I'd love that option to come back, where you could move out a sim without going back to the neighbourhood - but it's a minor twitch really. Is that an unpopular opinion? I don't see it mentioned much so maybe it is?

I've read through the thread and some other opinions seem more popular than I had thought before this (like not liking toddlers, and more people not so bothered about seasons and stuff) which is interesting.

I also want more for the Elders and I like the idea for a school pack rather than just university.

And I think from other posts in this thread it is another unpopular opinion, but I am thankful to EA for making this game available to many more people by dropping the specs on the game. I don't think Sims should be a game just for an elite few who have the funds or capabilities to get a gaming PC. I'm a full time student and I don't have that kind of money. I've played Sims for about 15 years,so I consider myself a sims veteran. I don't really understand why someone having more money or ability to play on a more sophisticated machine has more right to play this game than I do. I think the Sims is for everyone. The game is literally what you make it. It's not the level of the gaming machine that affects what you can get out of it.

• SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Just thought of another unpopular opinion about this game that I have: I actually don't mind the Babies being stuck to the crib. It drove me nuts in TS2 when my sims would drop the kid on the floor to go do something fun if I leave them alone for, like, half a second while they were holding the Baby. With the Babies stuck to the crib, I get no annoying floor baby moments which waste my time because then I have to make the sim that dropped the kid on the floor like a sack of potatoes drop whatever stupid action they decided was so important that they couldn't be bothered to put him back in the crib first and make them PUT THE BABY IN THE CRIB WHERE HE BELONGS!!!

I never even took the Babies out of the nursery and adjoining bathroom because taking them downstairs for a bottle was a waste of time. Instead, I set up a nursery complex containing a fridge, a trash can (later, a garbage chute for even greater efficiency), all the necessary baby furniture, and an adjoining bathroom because taking the kid downstairs before they hit the Child stage since there's nothing to do with a Baby downstairs and Toddlers couldn't climb the farging stairs. Realism be darned, TS2 Babies were lame simply because there was literally nothing to do with them outside of the nursery anyway and the default AI drops them on the floor like an old sock, which was way more of an immersion killer for me than the Baby being stuck to the crib. At least Babies belong in a crib...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited December 2017
    aricarai wrote: »
    Oh - I forgot to mention one popular opinion - multi-tasking that so many claim to love - I detest it.

Everytime we ask for anything we like a lot in previous sims games - like slow dancing, bed cuddling and spooning, holding and walking around with our newborns, pool lounge chairs, Couples dancing together; romantic picnics on a blanket off the top of my head - I hear - well that is a problem because of multi-tasking. Then I think to myself I have to trade all that just so my sim can eat lunch on the toilet - REALLY Maxis?

So I really hate multi-tasking if all the little sort of humanizing interactions our sims could do in previous games can't be done in Sims 4, then I wish we didn't have multi-tasking - I know this is an unpopular opinion as all I hear is how much people love to multi-task. I just wonder do any of them realize what multi-tasking is costing us to have - when their sim cannot even lounge by the pool - something they have done since Sims 1 even.

But yeah when we have to trade all the best game reactions and play in the Sims games for multi-tasking - I wish we did not have it. It is not worth what we lost. I want slow dancing and lounge chairs, not poop and eat at the same time. (That is so gross by the way - there just aren't any words to say once you have seen your sim do that.)

I didn't know some of those things being omitted were due to multitasking...If that's the case, why didn't they just do multitasking like they did in the Sims 3 and stop trying to convince people that's a never before seen feature?

Just to brain wash into getting players invested into the game and sell it like hot cakes? Half of the time, the so called "multi tasking" ain't really a multitasking. Your just really switching interactions back and forth instead of doing the all simultaneously. Sim A cooking while talking and Sim B mixing drinks at the bar while dancing? Nope, 'while' doesn't happen, only then in reality. Highly marketed addition in actually is almost barebone.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm not fond of the Monkey Around interaction because even if you do a pleasant conversation, the Sim will not like it. >:( I guess not every Mischief interaction will be taken well, even if the Sim isn't Hot-Headed or even if you do a pleasant conversation.
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Vraie wrote: »

And I think from other posts in this thread it is another unpopular opinion, but I am thankful to EA for making this game available to many more people by dropping the specs on the game. I don't think Sims should be a game just for an elite few who have the funds or capabilities to get a gaming PC. I'm a full time student and I don't have that kind of money. I've played Sims for about 15 years,so I consider myself a sims veteran. I don't really understand why someone having more money or ability to play on a more sophisticated machine has more right to play this game than I do. I think the Sims is for everyone. The game is literally what you make it. It's not the level of the gaming machine that affects what you can get out of it.

I think that's a pretty shared consensus among a lot of people; although I don't agree with it, I can understand it, but I think someone in this thread said it best - that a game shouldn't be created based on the systems that consumers may have. I think, personally, that's what side games, mobile games, and console games should be for. Imagine what the game would be like if they used the technology available! *mind blown*
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Just to brain wash into getting players invested into the game and sell it like hot cakes? Half of the time, the so called "multi tasking" ain't really a multitasking. Your just really switching interactions back and forth instead of doing the all simultaneously. Sim A cooking while talking and Sim B mixing drinks at the bar while dancing? Nope, 'while' doesn't happen, only then in reality. Highly marketed addition in actually is almost barebone.
    Yup:

fxLIbvA.png

The 'multitasking' here only spoils (cause constantly interrupts) the mixing drinks animation.

5JZ57S6.png
    edited December 2017
    Vraie wrote: »

I think that's a pretty shared consensus among a lot of people; although I don't agree with it, I can understand it, but I think someone in this thread said it best - that a game shouldn't be created based on the systems that consumers may have. I think, personally, that's what side games, mobile games, and console games should be for. Imagine what the game would be like if they used the technology available! *mind blown*
    Yes, I agree (I may have said that because it was one of my unpopular contributions, the fact that "at least it's playable on my laptop" isn't an argument for me; it got deleted together with other posts for some reason, I have no idea why, missed that). It's up to the player whether they want to play a game badly enough to make an investment and not the developer's problem imo. Indeed, how awesome this game could be if they'd take it as seriously as other games out there that do need good gaming computers. And if they'd deliver that game with a rich, mature basegame, we all could save on all this often rather useless and expensive DLC.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Here's probably an unpopular opinion. Loading screens and closed worlds don't bother me that much. I got used to them with Sims 2 and never really minded them. However, I felt it was an acceptable trade off to be able to have the large worlds I have in Sims 2. It does bother me though that we don't get Sims 2 sized worlds in Sims 4. For the inconvenience of dealing with loading screens we should have much larger worlds.
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    My unpopular opinion is that I don't like Cats and Dogs(Pets EPs in previous) I love animals IRL life and have a beautiful German Shepard mix dog that we rescued 9 years ago. But in a Sims game, no thanks.

I also don't like apartments a whole lot. I didn't use them much in TS2, but have quite a bit in TS3 and now in TS4 with CL. I just don't get the draw with apartments. At least in TS3, though there was a cheat so you could change windows/walls, etc.

So the last two EPs have been pretty meh for me game play wise. Love the CAS and BB stuff though.

Another kind of unpopular opinion of mine is that I like the Stuff Packs and the amount of them that we've gotten. The only one I haven't bought is the one that had butlers in it. Butlers - that's another thing I don't like. I do actually use the SP items a lot and think that they are a good value for what is given in them - Except for Cool Kitchen maybe. There wasn't much kitchen in that one.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • MelpomenaMelpomena Posts: 207 Member
    @JoAnne65 Your example doesn't convince me. Dancing and bartending would ask for both legs and harms to be doing two different things at the same time. It's not doable unless it's a bartending choregraphy wich isn't the same thing at all because the dancing and the pouring/mixing is not done at the exact same time. So what you're saying is that every single mouvement a sim can do should have been mixed all together at once, to create all new animations combining all mouvements a sim can do, two by two ?

I think the multitasking suffers from good tuning, but that's just not enough to make me hate it.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Another unpopular opinion: I dislike the Sims 4 limited duration events. I find them a waste of time for limited gameplay and a few items and think that the time being spent on them could be better invested on the packs themselves that offer longer lasting entertainment value. Plus when they come with bugs, that takes more of Guru time as well that could be spent on fixing other bugs that will benefit players more.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited December 2017
    Melpomena wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 Your example doesn't convince me. Dancing and bartending would ask for both legs and harms to be doing two different things at the same time. It's not doable unless it's a bartending choregraphy wich isn't the same thing at all because the dancing and the pouring/mixing is not done at the exact same time. So what you're saying is that every single mouvement a sim can do should have been mixed all together at once, to create all new animations combining all mouvements a sim can do, two by two ?

I think the multitasking suffers from good tuning, but that's just not enough to make me hate it.
    My example is just one example of multitasking, it’s like this with any type of multitasking in the game. It’s doing two animations in turns. Now, if I am mixing drinks irl while dancing, I do those two actions together. Which means that to me the few multitasking features in the past games is a better way of doing it (a sim making a phonecall while holding a toddler or baby for instance). Dancing and mixing drinks at the same time for me would only work in the game if they’d make a new animation out of it, where the sim mixes drinks while making dancing moves. Also, and this is quite essential too, multitasking should save time, like it does irl, not waste a lot of time like it is in TS4. Because what you don’t see in my series here, is how utterly long it all took and how boring it became very quickly to look at. While mixing drinks in itself is an amazing animation.

I’m not asking anyone to dislike it too by the way or be convinced. Like I said, personally I don’t care they can do two seperate things with one instruction, I like the clarity of my sims doing one thing at the time. And I am aware this is not a popular view, which is why I posted it in this thread.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Hi folks,

Just FYI - pulled out a few more posts from this thread for derailing. If those whose posts were removed have any concerns, let me know.

Thanks,
    -Mage
    edited December 2017
    Another one just occurred to me, though I’m not sure if it’s still unpopular (it was in the beginning at least): I love the Sims 4 camera mode. To me it feels more intuitive than Sims 3’s (and I’m always in a fight with Sims 2’s camera somehow) because more is possible with your mouse.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Another one just occurred to me, though I’m not sure if it’s still unpopular (it was in the beginning at least): I love the Sims 4 camera mode. To me it feels more intuitive than Sims 3’s (and I’m always in a fight with Sims 2’s camera somehow) because more is possible with your mouse.

I agree. Sims 4 camera mode is smooth and very easy to operate compared to 2 and 3 most of the time.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    This thread sure is an interesting read :)

One I remembered today...I like elders in the game. I constantly see players complaining that elders aren't elderly enough, asking for them to have more bizarre clothing options and walking canes, etc. I don't share this opinion at all. All elders I know in real life are still very active people who function pretty much exactly the same as adults, they have jobs, hobbies, they're living. I'm happy TS4 doesn't reinforce this ridiculous stereotype of old people being basically one leg in the grave at all times. I don't want elderly sim to walk with canes by default and dress as if they haven't noticed it's not the 50s anymore, they're ok as they are.
    edited December 2017
    agustd wrote: »

One I remembered today...I like elders in the game. I constantly see players complaining that elders aren't elderly enough, asking for them to have more bizarre clothing options and walking canes, etc. I don't share this opinion at all. All elders I know in real life are still very active people who function pretty much exactly the same as adults, they have jobs, hobbies, they're living. I'm happy TS4 doesn't reinforce this ridiculous stereotype of old people being basically one leg in the grave at all times. I don't want elderly sim to walk with canes by default and dress as if they haven't noticed it's not the 50s anymore, they're ok as they are.
    I agree, but that's not really specifically a Sims 4 thing is it? Elders can have jobs unless you decide it's time for their pension, canes you have to buy for them (they don't use them by default). I'm not aware the other versions reinforce a stereotype of old people? It's what you make of them yourself. But when you do want a person that really behaves old 'according to the books', at least you have the option.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member

I think it depends how "elder" we are talking about. People are living longer so the elder age has been extended.

60s-mid 70s? Yes, they can be and usually are very active, still working, everything you said.

Late 70s-90s? Not as much. This is the "elder" stage I'm talking about. People are living into their 90s and beyond, and yes a moderate percentage of elders 80+ do need assistive walking aids (canes, walkers, etc.) and no most don't function exactly the same as younger adults. This doesn't mean they are one leg in the grave, they may still have several years in their lifespan, but there are definite differences.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited December 2017
    I like the look of the game.
    I don’t care for running my own business.
    I don’t like active careers.
    I don’t care for restaurants.
    I don’t care for vampires or cats and dogs.
    I liked Romantic Garden and OR.
    Don’t care about family play or toddlers.
    Absolutely never liked mrs Crumplebottom or the tragic clown.
    Not having CASt or open world didn’t bother me.
    Babies turning into children didn’t bother me.
    Liked that there was no SP.
    I don’t think GT was a great EP.
    I like SPs and clutter—but must stress gameplay should come first.
    I like small lots.
    I don’t like townies.
    And I dislike the Live Service more than anything else in the game. *shrugs*

I’m trying to stay light here. Just chiming in with what I feel are my unpopular opinions regarding S4.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    I'm not the greatest fan of multi-tasking either. That may be one of the things that I've come to dislike about TS4 the most. In other games, multi-tasking existed to some point. (For example, holding a newborn or toddler while speaking to another Sim.) However, what there was, it was not obtrusive. It didn't stop the team from being able to make incredible things.

If multi-tasking means losing so many of the things that I loved about the Sims, I say: either find a better way to implement it or, in the next game, let it go.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    I don't really want Pets- just another thing to take care of.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2017
    Cynna wrote: »
    I'm not the greatest fan of multi-tasking either. That may be one of the things that I've come to dislike about TS4 the most. In other games, multi-tasking existed to some point. (For example, holding a newborn or toddler while speaking to another Sim.) However, what there was, it was not obtrusive. It didn't stop the team from being able to make incredible things.

If multi-tasking means losing so many of the things that I loved about the Sims, I say: either find a better way to implement it or, in the next game, let it go.

Totally agree. Sims 4 multitasking totally kills romance as well as parent and their offsprings relationships. I want slow dancing - cuddling in bed and all the cute romantic jesters between lovers over dinner and such. I want dinner proposals - sharing a toast. I want spooning in bed or just lounging in bed to read a book or watch tv to gether cuddling in bed. It is no wonder weddings are not a big deal in the Sims 4 - and there's no honeymoons - they'd be too busy socializing to enjoy a proper honeymoon. Sims 2 definitely did all that better.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    edited December 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I agree, but that's not really specifically a Sims 4 thing is it? Elders can have jobs unless you decide it's time for their pension, canes you have to buy for them (they don't use them by default). I'm not aware the other versions reinforce a stereotype of old people? It's what you make of them yourself. But when you do want a person that really behaves old 'according to the books', at least you have the option.

I didn't say other versions of the game reinforce stereotypes. It's just a lot of players would want the current game to do that and I'm happy it's not a thing.

@Pegasys We could discuss this for hours but it all comes down to your personal experience. Believe me I've seen enough people in their late 70s and in their 80s even who have more life in them than my teenage cousins - part of my job :) It's just in the game I prefer that elders by default aren't too much different than adult sims. We still have to option to make them look older if we want to.

I just don't want the default of elder to be the stereotype, and that's what a lot of people would like to see, which I gather from this forum, and that would make it an unpopular opinion I guess since I've seen more complaining about TS4 elders than I've seen praise.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2017

I didn't say other versions of the game reinforce stereotypes. It's just a lot of players would want the current game to do that and I'm happy it's not a thing.

@Pegasys We could discuss this for hours but it all comes down to your personal experience. Believe me I've seen enough people in their late 70s and in their 80s even who have more life in them than my teenage cousins - part of my job :) It's just in the game I prefer that elders by default aren't too much different than adult sims. We still have to option to make them look older if we want to.

I just don't want the default of elder to be the stereotype, and that's what a lot of people would like to see, which I gather from this forum, and that would make it an unpopular opinion I guess since I've seen more complaining about TS4 elders than I've seen praise.
    I like elders. I actually would mind there being a Target brand stuff pack for them so they could play archery and shuffleboard. Elders I have been around in real life I have found to be really active and be silly like teenagers with their dirty jokes. It would be fun to have pool activities for them to do like water volleyball I know is really popular with them because I used to play that with them. I have a handicap, so I couldn't afford physical therapy but there was a retirement home that I could work out and do exercises with them one of those being water volleyball. I find I have more in common with elders than people my age actually. They are a ton of fun to talk to.

I did like how Sims 3 did have an optional cane, but yeah their crooked back felt too much like a stereotype in that game. I generally just want ADA objects which I know is a very unpopular opinion to have. So there is two for me I love elders and I would love to see a fun way for ADA objects introduced into the franchise like with a superhero pack.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top