Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Alpha or Maxis Match?

Comments

• alxxshaxalxxshax Posts: 19 Member
    I love maxis match! I used to hate it and only play with alpha sims.
  • Cebu2coolCebu2cool Posts: 46 Member
    When I started collecting things like CC hair it was mostly Alpha Maxis match looked too plastic at the time. Lately Maxis match and in-game hairs are looking nice.
  • silver_songbirdsilver_songbird Posts: 305 Member
    I somewhat like both; but I know if I had alpha hair on my sims for instance, the entire town would need to have the same to make it feel more.. natural I suppose. it would bug me to no end. so instead, I stick with mostly maxis match, but for clothing or makeup I couldn't care less.
  • hermioniahermionia Posts: 289 Member
    edited February 2020
    Maxis mix. So, it's mostly a mix. For skin, I like a mix. But I absolutely HATE alpha skins on their own, no offense to alpha users. For hair, purely maxis match. I don't like alpha or clayified hair that much. For makeup, they're pretty similar, so anything goes. I also love alpha eyes, and I have a couple of facepaint eyes. Alpha, I think, would take up too much space.
    Post edited by hermionia on
    edited February 2020
    meubanks wrote: »
    Sophiaaaa wrote: »
    I prefer maxis match.Alpha just doesnt look good in my opinion. Maxis match is nice because it matches the aesthetic in the game and it blends in with the clothes and plum that the sim is wearing that came with the game and stuff. Is it just me or is there more alpha than maxis match?

Maxis Match hair is harder to create. Not many creators can do it from scratch. Some decent content exists, but it is definitely harder to find than alpha hair.

It's not hard to find at all. It's all over Tumblr.
    Also, with MM cc, it actually should be easier, because you mostly just put some components of EA hairs together. For alpha cc, you have to create every strand individually.
    Post edited by hermionia on
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I have more Alpha and tend to prefer it over MM. I have some MM, but most of my MM are hairs. I prefer alpha for the clothing, but the hair I prefer MM because it looks like it belongs on the sims.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • ghostpostghostpost Posts: 42 Member
    Maxis Match!

I preferred alpha CC when TS4 first came out because it was 1) easy to find and 2) I wanted the game to be more realistic. However, it did feel weird when my household was decked head-to-toe in alpha and every other sim was still...Maxis. lol
  • CringecrewCringecrew Posts: 150 Member
    edited June 2018
    I prefer mm more. Although, sometimes I like my sims wearing alpha clothing with mm hair.
    latest?cb=20060827184625

• TsundereSuppTsundereSupp Posts: 17 Member
    I personally prefer MM to Alpha. I got into Sims a couple years ago when it went on an Xmas sale and I looked at a lot of photos to decide what I liked better. I picked Sims 4 over Sims 3 because I liked the artstyle better. I think that the cartoony characteristics of MM content make the game feel more lively and I think with some good CC skinblends and some CC makeup you can make some pretty nice looking characters. I definitely use a Maxis Match default skin replacement though because I think the shading on the default EA skins look kind of funky.
  • PinklixtyPinklixty Posts: 37 Member
    I like MM better because I feel like it fits into the sims better. Alpha also just is laggy, in my opinion it kind of looks strange. But, whenever I do look up CAS videos they're always alpha.
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,775 Member
    Pinklixty wrote: »
    I like MM better because I feel like it fits into the sims better. Alpha also just is laggy, in my opinion it kind of looks strange. But, whenever I do look up CAS videos they're always alpha.

If you google "sims 4 mm custom content (or CAS) youtube" or type "mm cc (or CAS) sims 4 into the youtube search engine you should find several CAS videos.
  • prism_popprism_pop Posts: 61 Member
    TS3 I was all Alpha, it worked well. But now I am just...very VERY maxis matchy. I can't deal with how alpha looks [it looks great in some games just not mine >.>]
    edited June 2018
    prism_pop wrote: »
    TS3 I was all Alpha, it worked well. But now I am just...very VERY maxis matchy. I can't deal with how alpha looks [it looks great in some games just not mine >.>]

In TS3, Alpha was the norm. Alpha WAS maxis match, because... well... it matched the style of the game.
  • LaracroftEyes1LaracroftEyes1 Posts: 296 Member
    Now I prefer Maxis match
    d10f10cfadd5b2e97043ba6ec57f8ced.jpg
  • TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    100% Maxis Match.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited November 2018
    I prefer Maxis Match. Somethings just don't look so good in game and can sometimes also clash. Alpha hair and some clothing always seem to have a glitch them them and just look odd.

It just doesn't really match the overall style, so it seems a bit jarring. It is a bit sad as there are some clothing and hair that I want in game but can't use as it never works.
    Post edited by XxAirixX on
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Maxis Match team.
  • CBroxCBrox Posts: 415 Member
    most people on the forums don't use cc, a lot of people on here also believe that cc is bad for your game :# if you go on tumblr a lot of people there use alpha cc. I used alpha in sims 3 but in sims 4 I use maxismatch since the graphics are so cartoony. but alpha is so pretty in cas.
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I use both alpha and MM, but I particularly use MM when downloading hairstyles and about 30% of my clothing folder.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • PartiallyBulletsPartiallyBullets Posts: 32 Member
    i used to be full alpha, because it was realistic. then i went mm because all of the people i watched on youtube (urbansims, lilsimsie etc) did it. but, right now, today, i'm going back to alpha lmao.
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    I use a bit of both. For hair I prefer clayified hair which is Alpha hair with maxis match textures so it blends well with the game textures and is detailed as well.

I have a few alpha skins that I blend with maxis match skins to give me the same effect. I have some alpha makeup but mostly everything else is maxis match for me.
  • ChelsPlaySimsChelsPlaySims Posts: 94 Member
    I don't use a lot of CC, but I prefer Maxis Match because otherwise things just look weird.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I used to just download anything I saw when I first got the game. I didn't know what was alpha and who was maxis. So I had a mixture of both. But then I don't know what clicked in my brain but I started only using maxis when I made CAS videos and families for my lps and then I found myself trying so hard to make alpha work in my game but I didn't like it anymore. I then became obsessed with the simple and cute style of mm on Tumblr.

So I deleted all my alpha cc, every single one, any peice of clothing or hair with texture that was a bit too realistic I deleted. I was just deleting everything alpha in sight and I wasn't looking back. When I went in my game it was so much smoother. There was less lag and I loved it. Then I started going on a huge shopping spree for mm stuff. I'm still downloading stuff from that spree.

Overall, I love mm all the way, anything too realistic and textured turns me off. I even can't download stuff that has writing that's not simlish on it.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • SimlishPopstarSimlishPopstar Posts: 204 Member
    edited July 2018
    Hmm... Thing is for me I would assume I class as alpha CC but I tried to make my sims look a bit out of the maxis style while still retaining enough that they could freely wear maxis clothes. I specifically focused on what I considered was good looking and still vibrant and game like.

I guess its up for debate if I succeeded but I'm pretty pleased with the current styling I have for my sims.
    Like sim in my pic.

I'm really happy with my sims and the style they have, for me at least I can enjoy alpha hair whilst still getting Maxis content every pack. Others of course might not like it but its the only way for me to play this game pleasantly.

I think the cartoony direction with the hair was one of the worst artistic decisions they could have made. Hair in my opinion is a huge form of style and limiting it to blobs basically ruins so many ways your sim could look, that and its healthier looking.
    Other than the hair I don't feel like other sims running around are a different visual style entirely just that they're "irrelevant"
    and for the most part I make so many sims I don't really need to worry about townies I tend to come across all my customs.

I do use MM for clothes and sometimes not MM for clothes (but try to find stuff that doesn't go too far)
    I just want my to have a nice aesthetic and full blown MM is not, I can do a lot of MM but not hair.
    I don't like my sims with that because it just seems to make devoid of personality, I was surprised at how much hair had an impact on me when it came to creating sims.

I'll most certainly never use pure MM cc that's for sure.

That being said though I don't actually hate the base style of TS4 they did a good job on it but I do think it should be avoided for another entry because I just don't think it sits best with a lot of people.
  • EliGrangerSimmerEliGrangerSimmer Posts: 62 Member
    I prefer MM, but sometimes Alpha looks nice when it doesn't goes overboard
    I might look crazy but I am fangirling