Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Alpha or Maxis Match?

Comments

• Benna_booBenna_boo Posts: 16 New Member
    When I first started playing, I was strictly alpha only, because I believed it look so much more realistic. But I've come to love the looks you can make with MM as well. I feel that each kind of bring their own kinda style to the game and I really enjoy that!
  • hevkerhevker Posts: 84 Member
    I'm a CC/Mod addict and when I finally got TS4 I went insane on alpha cc. I loved it in TS3 so I just continued the same.. but after a while I felt like it didn't fit in the rest of the game. So i've switched fully to MM. I also find the chunky clay hair kinda cute? It might be just me :smile:
  • td998td998 Posts: 358 Member
    I'm surprised by the amount of people who prefer MM to alpha to be honest! I agree with some of what you guys are saying. I think alpha can be really weird in sims 4, especially alpha skin tones. I don't like those. I much prefer MM skin tones but alpha hairstyles. Some alpha clothing looks really weird, too. For the most part though I think it looks okay. Same thing with furniture. Some alpha is more "hyper-realistic" than others and I really don't like alpha items that look like they could exist in real life. That's too much for me.
  • renzillarenzilla Posts: 725 Member
    Everything I download is Maxis match and even with that I’m very picky, because some CC can look out of place or badly made.
  • DBClaytonDBClayton Posts: 74 Member
    > @td998 said:
    > Yeah I know what you all are saying. I thought that was going to be an issue for me too. I didn't know if it was going to fit into my game.. But surprisingly, I think it looks very natural.

I prefer Alpha for hair, eyes, and lips, but normally mix the two for everything else. soME Alpha skins are so, so realistic they freak me out. @td998- Your sim looks great! I really like the hairstyle. Would you mind sharing the name of it?
  • margaret1115margaret1115 Posts: 2 New Member
    Alpha all the way! I never use MM but I think it looks really cute when I see sims that are wearing it! I think that alpha looks natural in the game even though it's more realistic. I honestly love the alpha skin overlays as long as they have the same skintone that I choose initially. I understand everyone's perspective though! No hate towards MM users or creators or users, I think both are great although I do prefer alpha. Just use what you like, and don't have towards the other side!
  • margaret1115margaret1115 Posts: 2 New Member
    *Hate
  • DinowCookieDinowCookie Posts: 951 Member
    I prefer MM as well. Like many people have said, because it blends in so much better with the game. I feel alpha worked alright in the Sims 3, but the Sims 4 just has such a unique, colorful and bubbly feel to it in which alpha cc doesn't seem to fit.

-Some- alpha cc does blend in nicely in my opinion, like some make-up, a few pieces of clothing and some shoes, but I am very picky with them.
    Visit me on the gallery! 😊
    EA ID: DinowCookie | No-CC Households & Rooms
  • PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    I prefer MM (because well it fits the game better) but also because genetics is something that I value in my game. The fact that children won't inherit the hair color of their parents (if they have alpha hair) drove me crazy back when I used to use alpha.
  • KelzKelz Posts: 53 Member
    I want things to look consistent, so it seems that MM is the way to go for Sims 4.
    My Sims Youtube

Find me on the gallery: kelzmckean
  • SasharivaresSasharivares Posts: 1 New Member
    When I started to play TS4 right after TS3, I used only alpha because I used it in ts3. But then I i didn’t like that other sims wear MM and only my family is Alpha so I went to MM too. I like MM hairs and clothes, and it’s ok to combine with detailed skin. The only problem is- I love HQ mod, but unfortunately Maxis Match mod makers don’t make their CC compatible with HQ.
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I don't like alpha because it feels really out of place to me, but I do enjoy using clayified alpha hairs.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• WalldawgWalldawg Posts: 1 New Member
    Alpha seems a bit out of place, but there are some outstanding alpha hair out there! I use both in my games, but am a bit pickier with what alpha stuff I download.
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I used to use Alpha but switched to MM. I also used Alpha for TS3 and it just didn't look right to me on 4 sims so I removed it and switched to MM. I do think Alpha looks amazing but I just never could get used to how it looked on my sims in 4.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    So, for me now I use MM. I used to use strictly alpha as I hated Sims 4 hair. Then as the patches started coming out I found everything messing up royally now, plus I hate the transparency of the alpha hair, as in certain lighting situations it became invisible, especially at the Hijinks festival...yikes! I have discovered Birksches tumblr and probably downloaded half her site...great looking MM hairs.

Recently I have cut mods folder in half, closed my eyes and started deleting. Game runs much better and sims look great!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • snowipoosnowipoo Posts: 5 New Member
    I think MM just seems more cute, and that's definitely more my style. Alpha just seems to me like the style is more.. hot? I honestly prefer MM, and I only have alpha cc in my game as the meshes for clayified hairs.
  • gabbyistomkimgabbyistomkim Posts: 21 Member
    Its annoying when there's that one sim in alpha hair in a crowd of maxis townies.
  • PlumbobMeganPlumbobMegan Posts: 31 Member
    I prefer MM. I like to have all my stuff match.
    Check out my Youtube Channel
    Origin ID: X_LadyAzura_X (Changed it to PlumbobMegan) Search #PBMegan
  • kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    I used to play with alpha but I agree with what others say, it looks odd when you compare it next to townies plus I hate it when random townies get generated with alpha cc. I only use aplha cc when I'm editing pictures of sims now, I maxis match in gameplay now. :)
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,775 Member
    edited May 2018
    kittymeow wrote: »
    I used to play with alpha but I agree with what others say, it looks odd when you compare it next to townies plus I hate it when random townies get generated with alpha cc. I only use aplha cc when I'm editing pictures of sims now, I maxis match in gameplay now. :)
    This also applies to @gabbyistomkim.

You can use Sims 4 Studio to prevent CC from showing up on townies. Once you download the program go to Content Management; Batch Fixes; CAS; Disallow CC for random

http://sims4studio.com/ You will need a membership to download the program but, membership is free.
  • bilbo_swagginsbilbo_swaggins Posts: 2 New Member
    Regarding hair... MM forever. It matches the game style and looks more polished to me. The rest is a mix in my CC folder. It's all mostly MM with a sprinkling of Alpha.

Like others, I find MM in-game is easier with regards to getting everyone to match, and I personally think MM looks better on the whole. To each their own, though.
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    As much as I am a cc JUNKY now adays, I haven't yet gone into cc for CAS. But if I did, I'll go MM all the way EXCEPT for a few choice pieces from the Alpha side. For instance most of the alpha hairs I have seen I really don't like but I have to admit that there are a few gems I wouldn't mind adding to my ever growing cc folder. Just not yet. I am still able to resiiiiist...yebb. for a while atleast :lol:

But I have to admit that for me, maxis match just looks better in the game.
  • lillibattenberglillibattenberg Posts: 1,280 Member
    Mostly MM, albeit with a touch of alpha (usually themed stuff).
    Jacob_Banner.png
  • TempestariiTempestarii Posts: 41 Member
    So in Sims 2 I was a CC addict and did all Alpha stuff, as realistic as possible. I'm not sure what made me switch--it may have been when I started reading Sims stories that were Maxis Match and saw all the custom content in there blending with the game and looking so clean and colorful--but I gradually became MM only in Sims 2. Then Sims 3 I couldn't even play because the aesthetic just didn't appeal to me at all, the Sims had wandered into uncanny valley territory for me.

Sims 4 I barely use CC at all, which is a drastic change from the many, many GB I had back in Sims 2. :lol: I actually love Sims 4's art style and in the rare instances that I use CC, I pick stuff that goes with it. If people like Alpha CC, go for it, I just know I'm not going to enjoy much of it in my game. Occasionally I'll come across Sims photos or stories that are going for a very realistic look and I'm just not into it, but to each their own.
    Scylla Word-Eater | specialties: dark and stormy nights, devouring of souls, and ridiculous fiction
    ZYaRX3w.png
    The Angeline Legacy
    Updated 7/11
  • PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member
    I think MM for me, I can appreciate what probably goes into Alpha styles but MM is more aesthetically pleasing for me, suits the style of TS4 and just makes it seamless to me (I could be the only one)
    tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman