Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimGuruGrant confirms The Sims 4's future; "We're not going Anywhere"

Comments

• elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    elelunicy have you ever looked into what may be causing the issue?

The cause is very simple. Instead of randomly picking from all eligible Sims in your game, the game essentially only picks from the first five eligible Sims it found (this isn’t done to process less and thus easier on weaker PCs, as the game always goes through every Sim in your game to check if they’re eligible or not).

For instance if the game found 100 Sims that can be used as shoppers at retail stores, it will straight-up ignore the last 95 Sims and only picks from the first five. When it needs to pick the second shopper it just chooses from the first five of the 99 Sims left. For the third shopper it chooses from the first five of the 98 left, so on and so forth. Because the list is always ordered in the same way, regardless of which retail store you visit or when you visit, the Sims at the start of the list will always have a very high chance to be chosen, resulting the same Sims being chosen over and over again.

The mods we have available solve this issue by reordering this list randomly so that different Sims are at the start of the list each time and thus different Sims are chosen each time.

Maxis themselves meanwhile seem to use a different method to tackle this issue. Sick pets for example are blacklisted from visiting the vet again for the next 48 hours every time they visit the vet. The downside of this is that if there aren’t enough pets in your save and all of them have already visited the vet within the last 48 hours, the game would start generating random townies with pets, which might not be something you want.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Maybe the numbers will go up.

I just have this feeling that at some point in the future the available numbers in a household will go up. After all, with Cats and Dogs you're a tad limited.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @Cinebar wrote: »
    Who can say if this game's engine and code and take fifty more packs before it implodes, it's already struggling really bad, so I don't think it goes on for five years or six. I think this year is about all it can take without becoming a buggy mess that eventually becomes unplayable if someone had everything installed.

I can't agree that's it struggling at all, it runs at a solid 60fps on my laptop, which doesn't even have a dedicated video card.

It's not even a gaming laptop. It's a thinkpad.

They' ve already had to change the code to fix performance when they upped how many Sims wouldn't be culled and IIRC that update was two years ago. Or at least a year and half. It wasn't mentioned in patch notes. They are always changing stuff to help performance and have already upped the min. specs at least once for the C&D pack. If you haven't noticed not as many Sims are at parks, or in those common space cook out areas as when the game was first released. (Base Game Worlds) That happened about two years ago, toning down how many can be out and about. Do you remember when the game was first released and we were all like YAY! There are Twenty Sims in our outside my house and in the common areas..have you counted lately? There aren't that many and never in the bars anymore since the GT EP. Lucky to have about six in and outside the buildings because of 'event' nights. That is all tied to performance adjusting.

Just checked my game, and there are 20 Sims (26 if you count my own family) in the Willow Creek park, Oasis Springs park, and I also went to the Chalet Gardens and there was 20 Sims walking around + my 6 Sims + the two ghosts as well.

A lot of what you said was only because EA had to meet 32 bit requirments. Once EA forced the game into 64 bit, along with the Cats & Dogs patch, they basically threw alot of that out the window.

The game was fine, it was that they were trying to keep to 32 bit limiations for a game that really needed to be 64 bit.

You have modded your game then. The max population by default is 20 Sims, including those in your active household as well as any active ghosts. A full household of 8 Sims leaves 12 slots available for townies. EA hasn’t changed this number.

As someone who does mod their game (using MCCC to change the population setting from 20 to 50) I can assure you there is no way you are seeing 28 Sims in one active neighborhood in an unmodded game.

I don't believe I've got any mods that change that. I have a mod for more careers, and a mod for more expensive bills.

They could do though.

But yeah, it was around 18 - 20 Sims. I did notice though, that when I travveled to each place, about 10 of the Sims were the same Sims from the last place, which is something that really annoys me about the Sims 4 atm.
    But then again, you’ve also stated once your Sims 3 saves load in around 7 seconds total.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    elelunicy have you ever looked into what may be causing the issue?

The cause is very simple. Instead of randomly picking from all eligible Sims in your game, the game essentially only picks from the first five eligible Sims it found (this isn’t done to process less and thus easier on weaker PCs, as the game always goes through every Sim in your game to check if they’re eligible or not).

For instance if the game found 100 Sims that can be used as shoppers at retail stores, it will straight-up ignore the last 95 Sims and only picks from the first five. When it needs to pick the second shopper it just chooses from the first five of the 99 Sims left. For the third shopper it chooses from the first five of the 98 left, so on and so forth. Because the list is always ordered in the same way, regardless of which retail store you visit or when you visit, the Sims at the start of the list will always have a very high chance to be chosen, resulting the same Sims being chosen over and over again.

The mods we have available solve this issue by reordering this list randomly so that different Sims are at the start of the list each time and thus different Sims are chosen each time.

Maxis themselves meanwhile seem to use a different method to tackle this issue. Sick pets for example are blacklisted from visiting the vet again for the next 48 hours every time they visit the vet. The downside of this is that if there aren’t enough pets in your save and all of them have already visited the vet within the last 48 hours, the game would start generating random townies with pets, which might not be something you want.

@elelunicy a bit off topic, but can you give a link to some mods that do it? I am curious about it.
  • EpicSimsEpicSims Posts: 397 Member
    edited March 2018
    'Wow, I can't believe you're doing all this stuff'. Next year we'll be four years old and still here.‘

For them to listen to that, they should work harder (and possibly get a raise) to include many features to make a single pack worth buying. While some may enjoy My first Pet stuff pack, others have become outraged at it for many understandable reasons. If the company cannot meet customers’ expectations and only takes advantage of us for money source, it’d just be better off them just going away.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Who can say if this game's engine and code and take fifty more packs before it implodes, it's already struggling really bad, so I don't think it goes on for five years or six. I think this year is about all it can take without becoming a buggy mess that eventually becomes unplayable if someone had everything installed.

I can't agree that's it struggling at all, it runs at a solid 60fps on my laptop, which doesn't even have a dedicated video card.

They' ve already had to change the code to fix performance when they upped how many Sims wouldn't be culled and IIRC that update was two years ago. Or at least a year and half. It wasn't mentioned in patch notes. They are always changing stuff to help performance and have already upped the min. specs at least once for the C&D pack. If you haven't noticed not as many Sims are at parks, or in those common space cook out areas as when the game was first released. (Base Game Worlds) That happened about two years ago, toning down how many can be out and about. Do you remember when the game was first released and we were all like YAY! There are Twenty Sims in our outside my house and in the common areas..have you counted lately? There aren't that many and never in the bars anymore since the GT EP. Lucky to have about six in and outside the buildings because of 'event' nights. That is all tied to performance adjusting.

Just checked my game, and there are 20 Sims (26 if you count my own family) in the Willow Creek park, Oasis Springs park, and I also went to the Chalet Gardens and there was 20 Sims walking around + my 6 Sims + the two ghosts as well.

A lot of what you said was only because EA had to meet 32 bit requirments. Once EA forced the game into 64 bit, along with the Cats & Dogs patch, they basically threw alot of that out the window.

The game was fine, it was that they were trying to keep to 32 bit limiations for a game that really needed to be 64 bit.

You have modded your game then. The max population by default is 20 Sims, including those in your active household as well as any active ghosts. A full household of 8 Sims leaves 12 slots available for townies. EA hasn’t changed this number.

As someone who does mod their game (using MCCC to change the population setting from 20 to 50) I can assure you there is no way you are seeing 28 Sims in one active neighborhood in an unmodded game.

I don't believe I've got any mods that change that. I have a mod for more careers, and a mod for more expensive bills.

They could do though.

But yeah, it was around 18 - 20 Sims. I did notice though, that when I travveled to each place, about 10 of the Sims were the same Sims from the last place, which is something that really annoys me about the Sims 4 atm.
    But then again, you’ve also stated once your Sims 3 saves load in around 7 seconds total.

On my old PC they did :( It broke and I can’t afford to get it fixed so I’m on a laptop now and it’s slow AF.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    In response to the original post in this thread. I hope Grant is right and they don't go anywhere for 2018, because there are like a zillion requests of particular packs people want. I hope they do get to make those EPs or GPs for people. Like Seasons, other occult creatures such as werewolves, witches, and gargoyles. Such as a farming EP, with horses and cows, chickens, pig pens, tractors, hay bailers, etc. And CatloverPlayer's number one request a tropical island and romantic interactions there. Soooo....considering there are only one EP a year, and maybe two GPs a year, I'm not sure they get all that in there, before Sept. 2018 when most games in this series have run their course and over by the next year (year 5). Not because they didn't have more ideas or new twists but usually because EA has changed course asked developers of titles to come up with a new take on something with newer technology. I'm sure they may not want to go anywhere and get many of their ideas implemented, but it doesn't mean it will actually happen. It's all up to EA and their direction and it really depends on the game doesn't it?

And let's not forget about Amusement Parks. I need carnival rides like we had in TS3 and Carnival Games and Foods.

me to
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2018

Doesn't all this depend on how old the save is? I know from my own experience more than two years ago (when they changed how many Sims would be culled and adjusted the number of relationships in the panel) I didn't have any Sims in parks I built anymore. Maybe one other etc. But my save had been played with many of my own Sims (most houses) and since 2015 so it was pretty big with many relationships in their files.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    EpicSims wrote: »
    'Wow, I can't believe you're doing all this stuff'. Next year we'll be four years old and still here.‘

For them to listen to that, they should work harder (and possibly get a raise) to include many features to make a single pack worth buying. While some may enjoy My first Pet stuff pack, others have become outraged at it for many understandable reasons. If the company cannot meet customers’ expectations and only takes advantage of us for money source, it’d just be better off them just going away.

You have to remember hes not on the stuff pack team. Grant is part of the EP team and while they do collaborate they don't sit in to every little aspect of the pack. Not every customer says they don't meet expectations, in fact I hear the first stuff pack is doing well in sales. I personally don't like dlc for dlc but I don't its something we cast them aside for. Everyone makes mistakes.
    Cheekybits wrote: »

You have to remember hes not on the stuff pack team. Grant is part of the EP team and while they do collaborate they don't sit in to every little aspect of the pack. Not every customer says they don't meet expectations, in fact I hear the first stuff pack is doing well in sales. I personally don't like dlc for dlc but I don't its something we cast them aside for. Everyone makes mistakes.
    And when they make this ‘mistake’ again in the future? And again?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    @adamzaid wrote: »
    i have a ps4 so i cant play sims 3 on console unfortunately @jackjack_k but i tried at my friends house once and i LIKED it a lot and i would definitely like to play it on my ps4!! make it ea happen plz?

TS3 is available on the PS4 Console to download thru the Sony Store. It will play on the PS4 much like Bully does.

Is was. EA took The Sims 3 off of PSN this year as they said The Sims 3 was no longer a current product, probably due to The Sims 4 console.

It's now listed as Disc Only:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0006-BLUS30609_00-THESIMS300000000

and The Sims 3 Pets too:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0006-BLUS30803_00-THESIMS3PETS0000

This annoyed me
  • aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    The Sims 4 has just announced the 200th Stuff Pack! This time you take care of a Pet Rock! Only $10! The Sims 4 My Pet Rock Stuff coming this summer!

Yep I can see it now.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • mcorralmcorral Posts: 512 Member
    I really don't need more packs, EPs or SPs. This game has been a mess since the beginning due to the change from an online game to an offline one in a rush.

This game is boring, not very well designed, childish, lacking humour and sarcasm. This is the fourth iteration of the game and should be much better. Instead we get a 2.5 iteration. They should already know what people want and what we don't. It's been quite a numer of years with The Sims for them to know.

I'm still playing S3 waiting for The Sims 5.

Sorry, it is my humble opinion.
    mcorral wrote: »
    I really don't need more packs, EPs or SPs. This game has been a mess since the beginning due to the change from an online game to an offline one in a rush.

This game is boring, not very well designed, childish, lacking humour and sarcasm. This is the fourth iteration of the game and should be much better. Instead we get a 2.5 iteration. They should already know what people want and what we don't. It's been quite a numer of years with The Sims for them to know.

Sadly the thing is they are trying to do what the Community want but really nothing happens. The Biggest Example is Pets. People want them to be Playable so they added that feature in The Sims 3 Pets. But then fans complained because they put the resources on making the pets controllable rather than fleshing them out as "pets for your sims". So when they did it in The Sims 4, they listen on what people want and here we are still getting complaints... They just can't win the community.
  • mcorralmcorral Posts: 512 Member
    edited March 2018
    TS1299 wrote: »

Sadly the thing is they are trying to do what the Community want but really nothing happens. The Biggest Example is Pets. People want them to be Playable so they added that feature in The Sims 3 Pets. But then fans complained because they put the resources on making the pets controllable rather than fleshing them out as "pets for your sims". So when they did it in The Sims 4, they listen on what people want and here we are still getting complaints... They just can't win the community.

I know it is impossible to make everyone happy. The Sims community is so big that there are a lot of peple with different opinions. But they tried to make an online game when EVERYBODY has been stating (or at least that's what I've always read in posts) that The Sims should never be an online game. That decision created a core game that cannot be changed now and we are carrying the consecuences.

The things I like about The Sims is customization. That's what makes the game so appealing to me. You create your own stories, you can create houses, change the world, change patterns, change terrain, control generations, control de story... resuming it all: customize everything to your liking to create something unique. Customization is great because my game is completely different to others. We all play differently, we can create whatever we want and play as we like. It should be a sandbox.

I'm still creating worlds in TS3 with different families, watching them progressing into different branches, watching the world ALIVE. If you play the game from start twice, everything can change differently, generating a completely different situation. With some mods the game can be played with little lag and bugs.

TS4 does not allow most of these things anymore. Customization is impossible. I don't want to have 20 small static worlds, I want to create mine or at least have the opportunity to change the ones given to my preference.

TS4 has some improvements: build/buy mode is awesome, vamps are better, graphics are great, it runs smoother, ... but it's sooooo boooooooring.... I think they took away what makes the game what it is: customization.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited March 2018

Then you're going to be waiting some time, my hopeful friend. I've given my opinion on a Sims 5 and it is that there probably won't be one, partly because of all the consoles Sims 4 is being ported to. Now THAT is how you get more customers. And the X-box is yet to finish getting up to date on DLC, during which more DLC is being made for the PC version...

What we want or need is irrellevant - to EA, anyway. They're making more money from Packs than they would if they set up a whole new team for Sims 5. It's true that graphics are more realistic than ever, but those same graphics are expensive and incredibly rough on your system requirements. The graphics of Sims 4 are simple, but ageless.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    Loanet wrote: »

Then you're going to be waiting some time, my hopeful friend. I've given my opinion on a Sims 5 and it is that there probably won't be one, partly because of all the consoles Sims 4 is being ported to. Now THAT is how you get more customers. And the X-box is yet to finish getting up to date on DLC, during which more DLC is being made for the PC version...

What we want or need is irrellevant - to EA, anyway. They're making more money from Packs than they would if they set up a whole new team for Sims 5. It's true that graphics are more realistic than ever, but those same graphics are expensive and incredibly rough on your system requirements. The graphics of Sims 4 are simple, but ageless.
    Think you’re confusing graphics and art style there? Graphics are graphics (in some ways superior in TS4, in some ways painfully clumsy), art style is personal taste. Nothing ‘ageless’ about it.
    5JZ57S6.png
    TS1299 wrote: »

I know it is impossible to make everyone happy. The Sims community is so big that there are a lot of peple with different opinions. But they tried to make an online game when EVERYBODY has been stating (or at least that's what I've always read in posts) that The Sims should never be an online game. That decision created a core game that cannot be changed now and we are carrying the consecuences.

The things I like about The Sims is customization. That's what makes the game so appealing to me. You create your own stories, you can create houses, change the world, change patterns, change terrain, control generations, control de story... resuming it all: customize everything to your liking to create something unique. Customization is great because my game is completely different to others. We all play differently, we can create whatever we want and play as we like. It should be a sandbox.

I'm still creating worlds in TS3 with different families, watching them progressing into different branches, watching the world ALIVE. If you play the game from start twice, everything can change differently, generating a completely different situation. With some mods the game can be played with little lag and bugs.

TS4 does not allow most of these things anymore. Customization is impossible. I don't want to have 20 small static worlds, I want to create mine or at least have the opportunity to change the ones given to my preference.

TS4 has some improvements: build/buy mode is awesome, vamps are better, graphics are great, it runs smoother, ... but it's sooooo boooooooring.... I think they took away what makes the game what it is: customization.

If I would be totally honest, I feel sorry for the developers at this part. Its the upper ups at EA. The Sims 3 begun production after the release of The Sims 2: Open for Business. EA already know that it will be a massive success, and if I remember correctly, The Sims 4 was already in development before The Sims 3 even launched. The game has long development base game time that could easily gave us the best sims game yet but EA is EA.

Remember when EA announced that they would focus on online gaming gaming rather than single player games because "it will be the future"(but really they just knew they can monetize it better), yeah that also affects MAXIS, in which develops for the Single player Genre. It is also why SIMCITY5 turned out to be bad. I remember hearing a developer saying that they are proud of the simcity game that they had build, before EA decides to run it into the ground by forcing it to have multiplayer aspects, and since EA knew that simcity will sell like hotcakes, they add the online only DRM to maximize there profits.

The same thing had happened also to The Sims. Since EA thinks multiplayer is great, they command the developers to do it. And if you look at the alpha version of Olympus it is very clear that they are having a very hard time on adding the multiplayer aspect at a game that is meant to be played at Single Player. When the SIMCITY fail, MAXIS had to suffer. Instead of EA delay the game even for two years, they put strict deadlines to the devolepers. The devs then meanwhile had only a year to redo the game, and in order to save time, they had to reuse that same engine...

For me, No developers wanted to see the game to be burned into the ground, especially a franchise that most have worked since the beginning. I can see the developers trying to push really hard into creating the games content before the launch just to satisfy us, and to save themselves from being shutdown by EA. Sadly, as far as I know before Maxis Emeryville shuts down on early 2015, they already had plans for the next game in the simcity, but since EA thinks that single player games won't make them money, instead of investing at that game, they shut it down and turned the whole franchise into a mobile game. The Sims Studio is the only part of Maxis that remain alive. I just wish that EA will greenlight the game and this time, they will not interfere the games development and let the developers do what they want into the game like on what they did on The Sims 1,2, and 3. How ever my only fear is that seing EA wanted to put microtransactions for their "engaging their players with games", then it would be a disaster unless they expand The Sims Studio for bigger teams for Expansion Packs.

Agree with the rest of what you said. While I don't like to use CAST as much as possible(because of lag) the thing that I really miss is the ability to create worlds. For me The Sims is a place where you can create your own worlds for your own stories. I just hope that once they finished those time consuming packs like seasons, they can focus on this content more deeper. I miss the motto on The Sims 3. Customize Everything
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Cheekybits wrote: »

And when they make this ‘mistake’ again in the future? And again?

They might do this idea again but how they did it was a mistake. They could of easily skipped out on the things we already had and just given us completely new stuff with the like 3 really different small pets. It would’ve done a lot better.
    edited March 2018
    @JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Loanet wrote: »

Think you’re confusing graphics and art style there? Graphics are graphics (in some ways superior in TS4, in some ways painfully clumsy), art style is personal taste. Nothing ‘ageless’ about it.

Eh, I have to disagree. A lot of game’s that go the Pixar style route are ageless.

The Sims 2 aged like milk because they tried to mix too much realism within a cartoon environment.

By comparison, the Urbz, which came out a month after the Sims 2, has aged much better and looks incredible in HD.

https://youtu.be/9vb_LxqMNhU

The Sims 4 can be pushed for a lot longer than 2 & 3, simply because it’s not being compared to realism, which 2 & 3 tried to dabble in.
  • IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    I think it's a matter of taste, really. I didn't play the Urbz, but I watched part of your video. I don't like the way it looks at all. Maybe if I had played and had fond, nostalgic memories of it I'd think it still looked ageless and timeless -- but looking at it from my perspective it really looks bad.

Sims 2 looks fine to me to this day. Not like old milk at all, lol.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
    edited March 2018
    I think it's a matter of taste, really. I didn't play the Urbz, but I watched part of your video. I don't like the way it looks at all. Maybe if I had played and had fond, nostalgic memories of it I'd think it still looked ageless and timeless -- but looking at it from my perspective it really looks bad.

Sims 2 looks fine to me to this day. Not like old milk at all, lol.

There’s no Nostalgia for me at all. Just saying that with some fine tuning it pretty much resembles games with similar artstyles today.
    It actually looks very similar to City Living.

Not talking about whether it looks good or not (I personally find it too stylised for my taste) but it’s aged really well.

The Sims 2 on the other hand, looks its age. It looks straight out of 2004, and a remaster in HD wouldn’t change that fact.

Point is, there are games that are current now, that still use The Sims 4 artsyle (like Fortnite) which is why the game won’t age anywhere near as fast.

It’s like how Toy Story was from the 90’s but no one would ever look at it now and think “oh this feels stuck in the 90’s” it’s effectuvely timeless.

That’s where The Sims 4 has an advantage.
  • IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    I appreciate your opinion @jackjack_k . I do. I just disagree with you.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member

I think they're doing great. Cats and Dogs is the best expansion to date and seems like it's fuller then the other eps. Jungle Adventures is one of the best Gamepacks we've had in a while and I do like that My First Pet adds more Pet Clothing. Can't wait to see what they have in store for Seasons.
    I appreciate your opinion @jackjack_k . I do. I just disagree with you.

Fair enough.

Just saying though, the artsyle chosen for The Sims 4 was clear that it was designed for longevity.