Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimGuruGrant confirms The Sims 4's future; "We're not going Anywhere"

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    In response to the original post in this thread. I hope Grant is right and they don't go anywhere for 2018, because there are like a zillion requests of particular packs people want. I hope they do get to make those EPs or GPs for people. Like Seasons, other occult creatures such as werewolves, witches, and gargoyles. Such as a farming EP, with horses and cows, chickens, pig pens, tractors, hay bailers, etc. And CatloverPlayer's number one request a tropical island and romantic interactions there. Soooo....considering there are only one EP a year, and maybe two GPs a year, I'm not sure they get all that in there, before Sept. 2018 when most games in this series have run their course and over by the next year (year 5). Not because they didn't have more ideas or new twists but usually because EA has changed course asked developers of titles to come up with a new take on something with newer technology. I'm sure they may not want to go anywhere and get many of their ideas implemented, but it doesn't mean it will actually happen. It's all up to EA and their direction and it really depends on the game doesn't it?

Who can say if this game's engine and code and take fifty more packs before it implodes, it's already struggling really bad, so I don't think it goes on for five years or six. I think this year is about all it can take without becoming a buggy mess that eventually becomes unplayable if someone had everything installed.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited March 2018
    @Cinebar wrote: »
    Who can say if this game's engine and code and take fifty more packs before it implodes, it's already struggling really bad, so I don't think it goes on for five years or six. I think this year is about all it can take without becoming a buggy mess that eventually becomes unplayable if someone had everything installed.

I can't agree that's it struggling at all, it runs at a solid 60fps on my laptop, which doesn't even have a dedicated video card.

It's not even a gaming laptop. It's a thinkpad.
  • Options
    PeanutButterSims2002PeanutButterSims2002 Posts: 104 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    SimGuruGrant discusses the future of The Sims 4 here:
    We're not going away. Pets is the biggest one but we're not going to dial it back. Some of the stuff we are thinking about is pretty ambitious, it's also fresh twists on old things and so I am hoping that people see Pets as the start of the second wave, not the end of the cycle. I want to do more content, keep upping the bar, more free content. Those are things that are super important to us and we have been talking about stuff for next year for ages already because we want it to be super good. There's crazy long cycles. Next year I want people to be like: 'Wow, I can't believe you're doing all this stuff'. Next year we'll be four years old and still here.
    Source

I can't believe that SGGrant said "Wow, I can't believe you're doing all this stuff " and yes we could not believe you are doing My First Pet Stuff and calling recolored items new stuff :D
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited March 2018
    My game isn't struggling at all on my system. It is or was a gaming computer but more than 5 years old now. I'm not worried about adding on packs, I was worried for Cats & Dogs but it merged right in and I'm kind of over that worry now. The only place I have a problem is in the City. I guess too many things going on and open.. that's why I hope they never attempt open neighborhood personally.

I also like the game play in a stuff pack.. I like the excitement of having something new now and then it's like a full experience to me. The stuff.. if it's only stuff I'd stop buying.. and I love the game. I think they know that so yeah it makes sense that they stick in game play to excite and entice their customers. It keeps people buying who enjoy the game. That's actually good marketing. I do get it's not good for people on a budget that still want that one thing.. like a hot tub. I can see where that could be depressing .. especially if they loved the game.
    I really don't see many people complaining about that though if they like the series, the artstyle and other things about the game. Mostly I see people complaining that admit they don't buy, won't buy, and dislike the Sims 4 in general. I do know there are people who have tried to like it.. but you know it's kind of hard to get over that bump if you had that distaste stick in your craw. I would have left this game in the dust at the base game if I didn't like it. I have before and I might again.. not during this run but maybe the next one.
    With this latest pack I've seen more complaints. Mine were different than what was around me but I had complaints too. In the end though I bought it and had a great gaming day today. I don't regret that purchase at all. Who knows it might be a turning point as some are predicting. I'm pretty sure though it's just a bump in the road.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member

I can't agree that's it struggling at all, it runs at a solid 60fps on my laptop, which doesn't even have a dedicated video card.

I also cant agree because my laptop is super low end and low everything but runs the game on supermax settings just fine hahaha
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    DaemonPawsDaemonPaws Posts: 192 Member

I also cant agree because my laptop is super low end and low everything but runs the game on supermax settings just fine hahaha

I have a continuously updated gaming computer with decent hardware, dedicated graphics, SSD, etc and TS4 runs like a dream. I still have trouble with TS3, though, no matter how much I upgrade.

I'm excited to see what's coming next for TS4. I'll be on board with 5 whenever that happens because that's just what I do with Sims, but I'm content to let the 4 life cycle play out and I am, largely, enjoying my time in game. Do I think EA makes scummy business decisions sometimes? Yeah, I do. Do I dislike some of the things they do? Yeah. Unfortunately, they are a business and they are going to do whatever keeps the money flowing - and I am, admittedly, part of the problem.

Even so, I'm happy with the current state of TS4. There are things they could add that would make me happier, for sure, but it is what it is.
    Origin - DaemonPaws
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2018

They' ve already had to change the code to fix performance when they upped how many Sims wouldn't be culled and IIRC that update was two years ago. Or at least a year and half. It wasn't mentioned in patch notes. They are always changing stuff to help performance and have already upped the min. specs at least once for the C&D pack. If you haven't noticed not as many Sims are at parks, or in those common space cook out areas as when the game was first released. (Base Game Worlds) That happened about two years ago, toning down how many can be out and about. Do you remember when the game was first released and we were all like YAY! There are Twenty Sims in our outside my house and in the common areas..have you counted lately? There aren't that many and never in the bars anymore since the GT EP. Lucky to have about six in and outside the buildings because of 'event' nights. That is all tied to performance adjusting.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options

They' ve already had to change the code to fix performance when they upped how many Sims wouldn't be culled and IIRC that update was two years ago. Or at least a year and half. It wasn't mentioned in patch notes. They are always changing stuff to help performance and have already upped the min. specs at least once for the C&D pack. If you haven't noticed not as many Sims are at parks, or in those common space cook out areas as when the game was first released. (Base Game Worlds) That happened about two years ago, toning down how many can be out and about. Do you remember when the game was first released and we were all like YAY! There are Twenty Sims in our outside my house and in the common areas..have you counted lately? There aren't that many and never in the bars anymore since the GT EP. Lucky to have about six in and outside the buildings because of 'event' nights. That is all tied to performance adjusting.

Just checked my game, I went to Willow Creek park and there was 20 Sims. 26 if you include my family.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »

Just checked my game, and there are 20 Sims (26 if you count my own family) in the Willow Creek park, Oasis Springs park, and I also went to the Chalet Gardens and there was 20 Sims walking around + my 6 Sims + the two ghosts as well.

A lot of what you said was only because EA had to meet 32 bit requirments. Once EA forced the game into 64 bit, along with the Cats & Dogs patch, they basically threw alot of that out the window.

The game was fine, it was that they were trying to keep to 32 bit limiations for a game that really needed to be 64 bit.
  • Options
    AshlynMckAshlynMck Posts: 22 Member
    I'll toast to that! Omg yass, this is amazing news!! This is just wonderful news and makes me so happy. I am so excited about the future of The Sims. I love The Sims so much. Hooray!! Hooray!! Keep up the good work. Their will always be haters. This most recent stuff pack is so cute despite the controversy surrounding it in the community I am pleased with what it adds to my game. And this news is most definitely cause for celebration!!! Happy Simming and good gaming everyone :) <3 B)
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Just checked my game, and there are 20 Sims (26 if you count my own family) in the Willow Creek park, Oasis Springs park, and I also went to the Chalet Gardens and there was 20 Sims walking around + my 6 Sims + the two ghosts as well.

A lot of what you said was only because EA had to meet 32 bit requirments. Once EA forced the game into 64 bit, along with the Cats & Dogs patch, they basically threw alot of that out the window.

The game was fine, it was that they were trying to keep to 32 bit limiations for a game that really needed to be 64 bit.

You have modded your game then. The max population by default is 20 Sims, including those in your active household as well as any active ghosts. A full household of 8 Sims leaves 12 slots available for townies. EA hasn’t changed this number.

As someone who does mod their game (using MCCC to change the population setting from 20 to 50) I can assure you there is no way you are seeing 28 Sims in one active neighborhood in an unmodded game.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

You have modded your game then. The max population by default is 20 Sims, including those in your active household as well as any active ghosts. A full household of 8 Sims leaves 12 slots available for townies. EA hasn’t changed this number.

As someone who does mod their game (using MCCC to change the population setting from 20 to 50) I can assure you there is no way you are seeing 28 Sims in one active neighborhood in an unmodded game.

I don't believe I've got any mods that change that. I have a mod for more careers, and a mod for more expensive bills.

They could do though.

But yeah, it was around 18 - 20 Sims. I did notice though, that when I travveled to each place, about 10 of the Sims were the same Sims from the last place, which is something that really annoys me about the Sims 4 atm.
  • Options
    HopefulSadnesHopefulSadnes Posts: 80 Member
    I feel like the foundation is so corroded that no matter what they add it can't be saved
  • Options
    I feel like the foundation is so corroded that no matter what they add it can't be saved

I reckon if the Guru's were given a whole second budget for the base game, they could wonders with it.
  • Options
    HopefulSadnesHopefulSadnes Posts: 80 Member
    Well thats dissapointing. I really want them to start a new game thats actually really fun. The core of the game cant be changed, all theyre really doing is putting on another layer of paint to a house that should be demolished.

I completely agree even if they add all these amazing things they'll get old too quick because of the games nature which is to buy more games
  • Options

I don't believe I've got any mods that change that. I have a mod for more careers, and a mod for more expensive bills.

They could do though.

But yeah, it was around 18 - 20 Sims. I did notice though, that when I travveled to each place, about 10 of the Sims were the same Sims from the last place, which is something that really annoys me about the Sims 4 atm.

I gotta agree with that. I usually see the same Sims everywhere I go, which most of the time is fine (I make all of the Sims in my save, most of the unhoused townies too) but it gets annoying for things like retail, where the same customers seem to return every day even though there’s plenty of other Sims the game could choose
  • Options

They could do though.

I gotta agree with that. I usually see the same Sims everywhere I go, which most of the time is fine (I make all of the Sims in my save, most of the unhoused townies too) but it gets annoying for things like retail, where the same customers seem to return every day even though there’s plenty of other Sims the game could choose

Right. I even tried moving retail stores, and they came back. Like, I have culling set to unlimited. idc if they make new Sims for me.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    I did notice though, that when I travveled to each place, about 10 of the Sims were the same Sims from the last place, which is something that really annoys me about the Sims 4 atm.

At the moment? This has been an issue since TS4’s launch. I even posted a thread back in 2015 complaining about it.

I have no idea why this is still a problem in the game after all those years. I guess people are just not making enough noises about this and thus EA/Maxis don’t see it as something they need to fix.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    In response to the original post in this thread. I hope Grant is right and they don't go anywhere for 2018, because there are like a zillion requests of particular packs people want. I hope they do get to make those EPs or GPs for people. Like Seasons, other occult creatures such as werewolves, witches, and gargoyles. Such as a farming EP, with horses and cows, chickens, pig pens, tractors, hay bailers, etc. And CatloverPlayer's number one request a tropical island and romantic interactions there. Soooo....considering there are only one EP a year, and maybe two GPs a year, I'm not sure they get all that in there, before Sept. 2018 when most games in this series have run their course and over by the next year (year 5). Not because they didn't have more ideas or new twists but usually because EA has changed course asked developers of titles to come up with a new take on something with newer technology. I'm sure they may not want to go anywhere and get many of their ideas implemented, but it doesn't mean it will actually happen. It's all up to EA and their direction and it really depends on the game doesn't it?

And let's not forget about Amusement Parks. I need carnival rides like we had in TS3 and Carnival Games and Foods.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    I did notice though, that when I travveled to each place, about 10 of the Sims were the same Sims from the last place, which is something that really annoys me about the Sims 4 atm.

At the moment? This has been an issue since TS4’s launch. I even posted a thread back in 2015 complaining about it.

I have no idea why this is still a problem in the game after all those years. I guess people are just not making enough noises about this and thus EA/Maxis don’t see it as something they need to fix.

Prehaps mentioning this to SimGuruArvin or Nick might move the importance of this issue up.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    If you guys play with mods MCCommand Center has a setting that rotates which sims show up from lot to lot. It's not 100% perfect (especially if you're going to lots where specific sims tend to show up like the dance clubs or the art centers) but does lend itself for a bit more variety. I haven't played around with it a lot in terms of the retail system so I don't know if it encourages different sims to show up but I did play one store for several days in a recent save and didn't have the exact same sims come in every day like I have in past saves so maybe it does?

This doesn't change the fact that this is something that EA/Maxis should look into tweaking if possible especially if the game is going to be around for a while but it's a work around for now.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    elelunicy wrote: »

@elelunicy have you ever looked into what may be causing the issue?
  • Options
    @elelunicy wrote: »

I've been playing Retail stores religiously since Get To Work launch (and Dine Out) and always felt like I got a good variety of Customers.

Since C&D patch, it's the same 4 customers over and over again. It's boring.
  • Options
    @elelunicy wrote: »

I've been playing Retail stores religiously since Get To Work launch (and Dine Out) and always felt like I got a good variety of Customers.

Since C&D patch, it's the same 4 customers over and over again. It's boring.

I’ve had the repeat customer issue since release of GTW weirdly. I agree with the getting boring part. It’s one of the reasons I tend to abandon my retail stores and turn them into other things after awhile.

I don’t think restaurants have this issue, or if they do I haven’t noticed it. The Vet kind of has repeat customers, but who shows up there might just be dependent on what households have pets.
  • Options
    3KNPen wrote: »
    If you guys play with mods MCCommand Center has a setting that rotates which sims show up from lot to lot. It's not 100% perfect (especially if you're going to lots where specific sims tend to show up like the dance clubs or the art centers) but does lend itself for a bit more variety. I haven't played around with it a lot in terms of the retail system so I don't know if it encourages different sims to show up but I did play one store for several days in a recent save and didn't have the exact same sims come in every day like I have in past saves so maybe it does?

This doesn't change the fact that this is something that EA/Maxis should look into tweaking if possible especially if the game is going to be around for a while but it's a work around for now.

I’ll have to check that out. Thanks!