Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Grant Talks about the Future of TS4

Comments

• Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    @aricarai
    aricarai wrote: »
    I found interesting that he said Pets is the biggest request...I would have thought Seasons was right up there too. Maybe they'll patch it in if he doesn't think it's a biggie.

nicely played :joy:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited December 2017
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    I wish they would stop talking about toddlers and pools and act like giving them free was the most generous act ever. It isn't. As said already it's base game content that should have been there at launch. As already mentioned the Sims 3 had more than one expansion a year and it shows. From the interview Grant implies they are making more content for this game then previously. All I see is expansions being served on a smaller plate with key features being served as separate dishes.

They’re not. They are reminding people they were free, not paid for DLC, because everyone assumed they would be paid DLC.

Also, Redwood are technically making more content than ever before. Salt Lake City made some of the EP’s, all of the TS3 store, and some of the Stuff Packs.

Take away the Salt Lake content, and the output from Redwood is 8 Expansions, and a few Stuff Packs (4 out the 9 that were released).

Salt Lake City isn’t Maxis. So Grant is correct.

As I said stop reminding people EA gave us base game content we had enjoyed previously free of charge. Had they given us something free we had previously paid for like I don't know weather I could understand it. (Note I don't expect weather for free)

So output from Redwood is 8 expansions previously, expansions we have had this iteration, what 4? And a number of stuff packs. Still don't agree that's more content then previously. If we were getting more content why are so many unhappy with how thin expansions are? If we are getting more content than ever before why are people complaining there's nothing to do in game?

But they need to, so people don't think it was charged to us. If you remember, everyone was saying Toddlers, Pools and Ghosts were omitted to sell to us later. That's bad press and they need to remind people that's not what they did.

You read it as a hardcore Sims fan, these interviews are for people who haven't bought into The Sims 4 yet.

And we've have 4 Expansions, 5 Game Packs and 12 Stuff Packs from Redwood. So that works out to be around 6 - 7 Expansions worth of content, and we're at Year 3 (and 3 months)
    We got 8 Expansions and 4 Stuff Packs as of Year 4 and 5 months. So yeah, it's a lot more suff than previous.

And the people complaining are minority. 200 million players a month clearly means people are finding The Sims 4 enjoyable.

It's the same folk on here on here who seem to say there is "nothing to do". You don't get 200m players a month with a game where there is nothing to do, do you?

:)
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Yoko2112 wrote: »
    I wish they would stop talking about toddlers and pools and act like giving them free was the most generous act ever. It isn't. As said already it's base game content that should have been there at launch. As already mentioned the Sims 3 had more than one expansion a year and it shows. From the interview Grant implies they are making more content for this game then previously. All I see is expansions being served on a smaller plate with key features being served as separate dishes.

They’re not. They are reminding people they were free, not paid for DLC, because everyone assumed they would be paid DLC.

Also, Redwood are technically making more content than ever before. Salt Lake City made some of the EP’s, all of the TS3 store, and some of the Stuff Packs.

Take away the Salt Lake content, and the output from Redwood is 8 Expansions, and a few Stuff Packs (4 out the 9 that were released).

"Look people, we could've been complete plumholes and made you pay for these features you previously had in the base game, but instead you just get them up to 2 years later ! For free ! Isn't that great ?"

And yeah, if you take his words on expansions like that he seems correct. But it's obvious that this is PR talk trying to justify the low amount of content per year. Because if he'd be honest he would at least acknowledge that TS3 got up to 3 expansions a year, even if it wasn't exactly his team that worked on all of them. That would be like SimGuruGraham brushing off the fact that they outsource parts of their Stuff Pack development. But he is actually pretty open about it and has mentioned it multiple times that their studio is not the only contributor to these packs.

It's an interview promoting Cats & Dogs and the console launch. It's intended for people who haven't invested in The Sims yet.
    People who already play don't need an interview to tell them Cats & Dogs is out, or you can now get it on console.

So, they need to let people know, that features that were missing from the base game, aren't DLC. They are free downloads.
    You're acting like these responses were comments made from Grant on here. This is a promotional interview.

Grant probably just forgot, I don't think he legitimately thought he could re-write history.

Plus he was talking about the production of The Sims 4 at Maxis. In context, they're correct. He's talking about how much content The Sims 4 has made with the 5 teams vs what they did during The Sims 3.

I mean, it would have been nice to fact check, but he probably wasn't expecting to talk so much about The Sims 4, in an interview about Cats & Dogs.
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    edited December 2017
    i have adjusted my willingness to accept prices along that practice
    & if i add the limitations & bugs present, then with CL i am not not even willing to buy it at any price available so far & that was already 60% off

So output from Redwood is 8 expansions previously, expansions we have had this iteration, what 4? And a number of stuff packs. Still don't agree that's more content then previously. If we were getting more content why are so many unhappy with how thin expansions are? If we are getting more content than ever before why are people complaining there's nothing to do in game?

if i count one GP bundled with two SPs result in sort of an EP
    then i have by now 2 EPs & 4 ! bundled "EPs" & the game feels still way emptier than every of those before
    GTW, GT, DO-bundle incl Movie Hangout, Spa Day-bundle, Parenting bundle incl Bowling & OR-bundle

if i compare only the first 4 EPs i bought for TS3 preordered released in only the first 2 years !
    WA, Ambitions, Late Night & Generations, they were as rich that i skipped Pets alltogether to this day, skipped Showtime until a year ago first, so for the whole development of TS3 & even most of TS4s
    & in that timeframe i bought the first 2 SPs & then i just lost count because i bought also store content straight after they started to release it with the free Riverview world, which i played to death then
    after only two years the game was rich with content & rich in gameplay
    in fact, i found TS3's basegame lacking only in regard to objects, never gameplay

same was with TS2 & there was not even the simstore palooza at that time
    TS2's first 6 EPs : University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage brought so much in gameplay !
    the game felt RICH

with TS4 i have to buy something because what i have now is just so little
    my rotationally played athletic teenage girl has still not enough to do to define her life, since i don't own CL, so she is unable to play that one ball game there is in the entire TS4 after over 3 years ! this is just ridiculous ! & i am not going to buy CL until they improved the festival outfits !
    i would buy for her the Fitness SP but that wasn't bundled yet, there is not even an announcement of a GP which it would be bundled with, so it will take lots of time until i can play her at least better than now
    one of the reasons i decided to buy the Parenting GP bundle which included bowling was to just have SOMETHING to do for her that doesn't end up in the gym
    to give that teenage girl a face, that's her here, Claire has taken over the Fitness Club & was very proud that day

2h66pl5.jpg
    if they would release a whole fitness GP, i would buy it straight away (after it's bundled oc :trollface: ), i would probably reconsider even to buy something like this as an entire EP !
    with several ball games like soccer, tennis, ping-pong, football, with additional sports activities like boxing, golf, skating, frisbee
    all or at least many of those had to be available to kids as well, cause the life of those poor small simsouls is even more empty than those of teens :confused:

the life of my rotationally played sims is meager
    & if i add to that all the bugs & then the crazy gameplay decisions like CONSTANT autonomous drinking water, hugging, skimming books & playing with cellphone/tablet/computer then their life is pitiful :confused:

TS4 feels after 3 years still empty, it's pretty, but empty of things to do for sims

Post edited by Rukola_Schaaf on
    i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    I don't think they'll patch in cars, that means reprogramming the moving decor cars in the background to make them usable by neighbors, and they won't re sctrach how cars are implemented for us..its EA and it's "too hard" for them ^_^
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    Maybe we're not getting Seasons.

Could you imagine the uproar?!

I'm sure there would be but for me it wouldn't be a game breaker. I know the game is supposed to be a life simulator and weather is part of life but after 2 versions of Seasons, both of which I still play, I'm really ready for something different. I would be okay with a game pack that provided a world with seasonal weather and seasonal activities. Similar to how weather is handled in Sims FreePlay. A seasonal world with ice skating, ice hockey, skiing, snowboarding.

[img][/img]gbOFZ4K.jpg

[img][/img]oas6atc.jpg

[img][/img]nDQ4bxQ.jpg

The problem is would there be a game pack for the other seasons? :o

• OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Great! They said something similar last January and we ended up with the best year this game had. Looking forward to 2018.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    graventhe wrote: »
    I don't think they'll patch in cars, that means reprogramming the moving decor cars in the background to make them usable by neighbors, and they won't re sctrach how cars are implemented for us..its EA and it's "too hard" for them ^_^

Don't put it past them. I still think cars are possible.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited December 2017
    I think it's a lot of talking, but waiting we still miss a lot of contents. At the same time where is TS4 now with TS3 we didn't need others EP's to have a complete game.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    Great bring on 2018
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    graventhe wrote: »

Don't put it past them. I still think cars are possible.

Why ? They would have to rework a bunch of neighborhoods and implement transportation methods other than cars for some of them for the whole thing to be cohesive, logical and high in quality. It would also have to have a decent pay off for them because developers working on games with expansion models usually tend to focus on adding new content instead of revisiting old stuff.

Besides, when asked about adding the ability to swim in bodies of water to the worlds of TS4, they already said it would be highly unlikely for them to retroactively make the water routable. Instead, they would rather do it with a new world where they could integrate it from the start.

Now unless you only want to use cars in worlds after Stuff/Game/Expansion Pack X, do you see how that wouldn't work ?
    And if they were to do it, they would contradict their own excuses. Although it wouldn't be the first time, huh ?

All they would have to do is use the teleportation thing we have now but also they could still add animations to the car like chat,listen to radio,watch stars together,makeout,woohoo,try for a baby etc.
  • SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    edited December 2017

"Look people, we could've been complete plumholes and made you pay for these features you previously had in the base game, but instead you just get them up to 2 years later ! For free ! Isn't that great ?"

And yeah, if you take his words on expansions like that he seems correct. But it's obvious that this is PR talk trying to justify the low amount of content per year. Because if he'd be honest he would at least acknowledge that TS3 got up to 3 expansions a year, even if it wasn't exactly his team that worked on all of them. That would be like SimGuruGraham brushing off the fact that they outsource parts of their Stuff Pack development. But he is actually pretty open about it and has mentioned it multiple times that their studio is not the only contributor to these packs.

It's an interview promoting Cats & Dogs and the console launch. It's intended for people who haven't invested in The Sims yet.
    People who already play don't need an interview to tell them Cats & Dogs is out, or you can now get it on console.

So, they need to let people know, that features that were missing from the base game, aren't DLC. They are free downloads.
    You're acting like these responses were comments made from Grant on here. This is a promotional interview.

Grant probably just forgot, I don't think he legitimately thought he could re-write history.

Plus he was talking about the production of The Sims 4 at Maxis. In context, they're correct. He's talking about how much content The Sims 4 has made with the 5 teams vs what they did during The Sims 3.

I mean, it would have been nice to fact check, but he probably wasn't expecting to talk so much about The Sims 4, in an interview about Cats & Dogs.

This is what Grant said in the interview:
    There are little things they wanted. They wanted pools, we introduced pools two months in. We didn't have toddlers; they took a little bit longer because it's a whole lifestage but we got toddlers in; they were free and deeper than we have ever done before. On some of those things, it's taken us a little bit longer than we anticipated, but we did it and did it right. A lot of times we have done it for free. We're very proud of the fact that we have been able to do that for our fans. They have in turn supported us by sticking around and helping us out.

First off, how are pools and toddlers "little things".

To me it is fine to adress that they have added pools and toddlers for free. But he is saying it like we should be very thankful. "They wanted pools, we introduced pools two months in.", why wouldn't we want pools? It is a self-evident feature. Pools should've been there from the start. He is telling it like the team is some sort of God.

"A lot of times we have done it for free. We're very proud of the fact that we have been able to do that for our fans."
    Nice that they are proud, but everything that they have added for free in the game had to be in the base game already. Like pools, toddlers, ghosts, basements, roof/room copy tool, octagonal/round roofs. These are all things that we had in TS3, from the start and in updates. Now we get these things with 2 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years and 3 years delay.

So my point is: It is fine to adress that they added pools and toddlers for free, but he shouldn't have said anything on the subjects besides that. If he just said: "Some things changed along the way. For example we have added pools and toddlers for free. *Now changes the subject and talks about how many players the game has*" it would have been fine.
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    I came here to comment about him touting all the "free content" seems like he just kept mentioning it...
    But, everyone else beat me to it :)
  • 12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    NickSims wrote: »

This is what Grant said in the interview:
    There are little things they wanted. They wanted pools, we introduced pools two months in. We didn't have toddlers; they took a little bit longer because it's a whole lifestage but we got toddlers in; they were free and deeper than we have ever done before. On some of those things, it's taken us a little bit longer than we anticipated, but we did it and did it right. A lot of times we have done it for free. We're very proud of the fact that we have been able to do that for our fans. They have in turn supported us by sticking around and helping us out.

First off, how are pools and toddlers "little things".

To me it is fine to adress that they have added pools and toddlers for free. But he is saying it like we should be very thankful. "They wanted pools, we introduced pools two months in.", why wouldn't we want pools? It is a self-evident feature. Pools should've been there from the start. He is telling it like the team is some sort of God.

"A lot of times we have done it for free. We're very proud of the fact that we have been able to do that for our fans."
    Nice that they are proud, but everything that they have added for free in the game had to be in the base game already. Like pools, toddlers, ghosts, basements, roof/room copy tool, octagonal/round roofs. These are all things that we had in TS3, from the start and in updates. Now we get these things with 2 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years and 3 years delay.

So my point is: It is fine to adress that they added pools and toddlers for free, but he shouldn't have said anything on the subjects besides that. If he just said: "Some things changed along the way. For example we have added pools and toddlers for free. *Now changes the subject and talks about how many players the game has*" it would have been fine.
    Well at least hip hop takes too long as well!
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited December 2017
    >says we get awesome, free stuff
    >mentions pools and toddlers as examples, failing to realize that they are core features for a Sims game

>says they used to do only one expansion per year and a few stuff packs during TS3 times

hm57sV5.png

>fails to mention ( although divisive ) frequent store sets

>says they avoid crunch ( which is healthy ) but when you look at the half baked content riddled with bugs that they release you wonder if they take 3 spa breaks a week and let their inexperienced interns handle the coding

>says how well packs work combined with each other and conveniently mentions retail as the only feature that heavily makes use of that ( because otherwise the feature would be useless )
    >retail is still broken as of this moment
    >other similarly combinable features like GT clubs have seen less and less support over the year

Golly gee, I can't wait to see what the future holds.

If TS4 is doing so well, then why lie about TS3? To attempt to falsely justify the new less is more business model?

TS1(7 Expansion Packs)
    TS1_Exp.png

TS2 (8 Expansions Packs)
    TS2_Exp.png

TS3 (11 Expansion Packs)

TS4 (4 Expansion Packs)
    TS4_Exp.png

The only way for game companies to learn is to hit them where it hurts...no quality game = no profit. Unfortunately, TS4 must be that grand for some to refuse standing up for their own consumer rights and demand what they deserve or goodbye. It doesn't matter though, just as long it's not me. I've already accepted the future of The Sims is dead. Will Wright's legacy was amazing while it lasted through the years 2000-2013. What an amazing ride it's been. :mrgreen:<3
    Post edited by Deshong04 on
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    >says we get awesome, free stuff
    >mentions pools and toddlers as examples, failing to realize that they are core features for a Sims game

>says they used to do only one expansion per year and a few stuff packs during TS3 times

hm57sV5.png

>fails to mention ( although divisive ) frequent store sets

>says they avoid crunch ( which is healthy ) but when you look at the half baked content riddled with bugs that they release you wonder if they take 3 spa breaks a week and let their inexperienced interns handle the coding

>says how well packs work combined with each other and conveniently mentions retail as the only feature that heavily makes use of that ( because otherwise the feature would be useless )
    >retail is still broken as of this moment
    >other similarly combinable features like GT clubs have seen less and less support over the year

Golly gee, I can't wait to see what the future holds.

EA at it's core hunny.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    This is wild! Half the stuff he says is just ... false. One EP a year in Sims 3?! What?!
    And I thought it was amusing when he said the expansion packs were so much bigger because to me they feel a whole lot smaller. I mean, I do like some of the packs. They just don’t feel bigger or fuller or anything.

And why did he say they were done with all the highly requested features?! What is Seasons, if not a highly requested “big” feature.

Basically I’m not really sure if I put much stalk in that last statement. Let’s just say, I’ll believe it when I see it
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    Wow, I'm surprised at the negativity towards this, actually wait, I'm not I just haven't been here in a while.

I'm glad to hear The Sims 4 is likely going to stay here longer than any of the previous installments, it's my favorite title and I don't want them to leave it until they've given us Supernaturals, Seasons and University.

I'm still thankful that they did inevitably add Pools, Ghosts and Toddlers, along with many other things like additional careers, build mode tools and objects, CAS objects and removing the restriction of clothing in CAS, new game-play systems etc. I do agree that we should've seen some of this content at the very beginning but there's point on lingering on that when they're already here now, plus they're the best version they've ever been in this franchise, so the developers deserve praise for them on that account.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top