Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do we hate on TS4?

Comments

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Stef024 wrote: »
    I don't hate the game but I'm also not in love with it.

I have played The Sims since the beginning. Yeah i'm old :-p.
    Compared to al the other games there is a lot wrong with The Sims 4.

The bugs are one thing, but the thing that irritates me the most right now is the new expansion pack Cats and Dogs that you CAN'T control your frinkin' pet!? Who the hell thought that was a good idea?
    I want to control my pet when my sims are at work. Now it just sits/standing somewhere doing nothing.
    And we pay quitte much for the expansion packs/game play packs and I personally think we are not getting what we are paying for.

In previous post there's a lot of talk about dining out that sims don't keep to there seats and just dine out! I have that same problem and it really gets on my nerves also that after one plate of food my sim is to tired to eat a second plate and after one drink they have to go to the bathroom or they burst. Being outside of your own lot the needs of my sim drops really fast. You can't really enjoy being out of your own lot.

I sometimes have the idea that EA never listens to our idea's/complaints/suggestions to boost up the game.
    What I still really want in the game is to have a sim move out and not the way as it is now where you have to force your sim out of the household.
    I thought it was in the Sims 3 that when a sims turns young adult you got the option on the computer/phone to move out, that was perfect!
    I would say that even stronger because to me it is obvious that EA never listens. Instead EA just considers what the main target group (very young “teen” girls) would need to want the game which for TS4 was an easy, happy, simple game with autonomous behavior and a little built-in multitasking. You give one of the examples yourself when you mention that cats and dogs can’t be controlled by us in TS4 because nobody wanted that and EA knew. But EA obviously thought that it was what new very young simmers needed. They don’t control their pets in their real lives and they aren’t experienced gamers. So maybe they would feel the game more realistic if they couldn’t control them in the game either? Besides that TS4 was from the beginning about autonomous behavior and multitasking. So autonomously behaving pets suited that idea perfectly.

The only people in EA who listens just a little are a few of the gurus in this forum. But even though they are developers they aren’t the people who take any of the main decisions. EA obviously decides almost everything and the developers don’t have much freedom to design the game themselves. Instead all EA’s main decisions about the game seem clearly to be decided by EA’s marketing experts who don’t seem to think that ideas in this forum are relevant at all because the main target group are new young simmers who don’t use the forum yet anyway.

So good luck whith your ideas! You sure will need it if you want EA to change just a couple of very small minor details in the game!
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited December 2017
    Erpe wrote: »
    Stef024 wrote: »
    I don't hate the game but I'm also not in love with it.

I have played The Sims since the beginning. Yeah i'm old :-p.
    Compared to al the other games there is a lot wrong with The Sims 4.

The bugs are one thing, but the thing that irritates me the most right now is the new expansion pack Cats and Dogs that you CAN'T control your frinkin' pet!? Who the hell thought that was a good idea?
    I want to control my pet when my sims are at work. Now it just sits/standing somewhere doing nothing.
    And we pay quitte much for the expansion packs/game play packs and I personally think we are not getting what we are paying for.

In previous post there's a lot of talk about dining out that sims don't keep to there seats and just dine out! I have that same problem and it really gets on my nerves also that after one plate of food my sim is to tired to eat a second plate and after one drink they have to go to the bathroom or they burst. Being outside of your own lot the needs of my sim drops really fast. You can't really enjoy being out of your own lot.

I sometimes have the idea that EA never listens to our idea's/complaints/suggestions to boost up the game.
    What I still really want in the game is to have a sim move out and not the way as it is now where you have to force your sim out of the household.
    I thought it was in the Sims 3 that when a sims turns young adult you got the option on the computer/phone to move out, that was perfect!
    I would say that even stronger because to me it is obvious that EA never listens. Instead EA just considers what the main target group (very young “teen” girls) would need to want the game which for TS4 was an easy, happy, simple game with autonomous behavior and a little built-in multitasking. You give one of the examples yourself when you mention that cats and dogs can’t be controlled by us in TS4 because nobody wanted that and EA knew. But EA obviously thought that it was what new very young simmers needed. They don’t control their pets in their real lives and they aren’t experienced gamers. So maybe they would feel the game more realistic if they couldn’t control them in the game either? Besides that TS4 was from the beginning about autonomous behavior and multitasking. So autonomously behaving pets suited that idea perfectly.

The only people in EA who listens just a little are a few of the gurus in this forum. But even though they are developers they aren’t the people who take any of the main decisions. EA obviously decides almost everything and the developers don’t have much freedom to design the game themselves. Instead all EA’s main decisions about the game seem clearly to be decided by EA’s marketing experts who don’t seem to think that ideas in this forum are relevant at all because the main target group are new young simmers who don’t use the forum yet anyway.

So good luck whith your ideas! You sure will need it if you want EA to change just a couple of very small minor details in the game!

I completely agree with this. And if it is incorrect, it is time for EA to speak up and set the record straight as to why we are where we are. If not, we are left with speculating, and that will end up being their downfall.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I don't think that they aimed too high for TS3 and too low for TS4 because it isn’t about what our computers are capable to do. There are much more demanding games out there. Just look at a game like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided where the recommended requirements are:
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K or AMD FX 8350 Wraith
    CPU SPEED: Info
    RAM: 16 GB
    VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon RX 480 - 1920 x 1080 or NVIDIA GTX 970 - 1920 x 1080
    FREE DISK SPACE: 55 GB

Such a computer would be a huge overkill even for TS3. So if TS3 doesn’t run smoothly on it while Deus Ex: Mankind Divided does then it should be clear for everybody that the problem isn’t the open world in TS3. Instead the problem as usual just is that EA doesn’t use enough resources on bug fixing and testing and never has. This most likely also mean that in the end when all expansions for TS4 have been released then TS4 will have have just as many bugs and problems as TS3 had.

Or EA don't give enough time for bugs to be fixed. Then another issue for the icing on the cake. They make a patch then it breaks a previous patch. That isn't just done on Sims 3 but on Sims 4 as well. Might as well add the icecream to the cake. Ea don't care till their money hits rock bottom. When it hurts their stocks they still don't give a flying sugar cookie-Monster. I am very concerned that one day we could end up without the Sims franchise in the future. Or if it gets auction off that the game developer don't care about the Sims fans. They just make really bad games and a few other things. Not trying to be negative but I always see things in the negative light more than the positive light.
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Maybe I should sing Hot n Cold song about Sims 4. That way I feel about it. Sims 4 I get bored easy. Sims 3 I don't get bored. I rarely leave the house on Sims 4. Sims 3 I am always going somewhere. Same on Sims 2. I miss the grocery store from Sims 2 and Sims 3. Bookstore as well. Now you buy the books directly from the bookshelf. This version of the Sims 4 is alternate timeline. So all the sims are to happy for their own good. I miss Sims 2. I don't feel like doing this. Or They have happy week and want it for every week.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited December 2017
    alexandrea wrote: »
    aricarai wrote: »

Nope, I most definitely am not saying that. Yes, I know you don't care about those things, but again, this game isn't onky produced for you. And I've not once said the game is a bad game - I'm saying it could be better - or that I hate it. I want it to be better. However, if those things were missing from the game again, I would find it questionable. The Sims, as it progressed from the first game, became about so much more than just the Sims themselves - it was about the world around them too and the others that inhabited it. By stripping out a lot of those things that you mention, it loses sight of what it had become. And the open word 'complaint'? It's not a complaint, it's called feedback. I agree though, I don't think it's coming for TS4, but waiting until production of TS5 starts isn't going to solve anything especially since no one knows when production on a new game starts except for the developers.

Yes, TS4 did bring some great additions to the game, but to me (and probably some others too), they took way too much away. CAW, CASt, Open World - what's to compensate for taking them away? Emotions, multitasking, being able to run on lower end computers? I don't think they're in the same league as each other.

Wow! Your last paragraph is a tad bit condescending, but I'll overlook the barbs and respond. Depends what you consider middle-aged (side note: I know plenty of people that aren't middle-aged that read the newspaper, so age shouldn't be a factor here), but I am older than you are. And why shouldn't the option of having a newspaper being delivered be there? That's part of the problem - options have been taken away!

On the subject of technology, I think it's fantastic - in fact, I've been very vocal about the fact that I think the specs should be raised and higher from the beginning of the game (many don't agree with this) because today's technology should be taken advantage of. Imagine the game that we'd have then!

Well... TS4 has moved on with the times what do you want me to say? We should all read newspapers just to reminisce on how times used to be? No. Times move on, and technology advances society whether or not people choose to accept it. People used to think credit cards/debit cards were the mark of the beast... That's just asinine. Would you throw away your debit/credit cards? No... It just makes no sense. The specs should be raised and Thank god they finally raised em'. It was about time tbh.

I know the game isn't just produced for me, but I and many other simmers enjoy TS4. We all want TS4 to be better but complaining about things that won't change (i.e. open world) is just too much at this point in the game. And you're exactly right the open world made us focus on the world instead of just the sims which is why TS3 was pretty darn weak. And yeah I think the open world "feedback" is just a complaint because we all know it won't be added to this game. When they open TS5 threads it would make more sense for them to get up in arms about it over there.

CAW was buggy as all heck, and not user-friendly in any aspect. CAST was never in TS2 or TS1, and it's kind of not needed. We can just download Sim PE, or other package editors and change colors that way. I mean... We can't get our furniture in any color in real life... We make do. Emotions and multitasking are pretty solid. They do need tweaking but I think we're getting there! TS4 does not run on low end computers lol... We need to thank Ea instead of complaining all the time.

its true news papers are dead even superman writes online now
    more for sim kids and more drama please

You are totally missing my points. Let me break it down further for you.

1. I never said WE should all read newspapers. I haven't made any blanket statements about WE. The point is about having the options. As was just said, options should be there not taken away. It's not about technology advancing in game. The Sims is meant to be a sandbox game where the player plays as they wish. If I want to make a world set in the 1950s without cell phones and with newspapers, I should be able to.

2. On the point of specs, one of the selling points before release is that TS4 would run on lower end machines. I think that's wrong and probably why the engine can't handle a lot of things. I've seen gurus state that they couldn't add certain features because the engine couldn't support the technology to do it. So I think you're talking about a different technology than I am.

3. You missed out an important part of what I said when you bolded part of my sentence. I said it was about the world TOO. I never said it focused on one thing over another. And again, it's not a complaint, it's feedback about open world. In hopes that it will make a reappearance. No one is getting up in arms.

4. CAW, CASt, Open World all may have been buggy (I'm not saying that they were) as heck. So you're saying it's ok not to try again to make it better than before? Why not try to optimise it better?

5. I'm not opposed to mods at all, but why is that or should it be the answer for everything that doesn't work or isn't right?

6. I'm pretty sure it's possible to get furniture in any color under the sun in real life, so I am not sure what your point is there.

7. Don't emotions override traits a lot of the times? Isn't multitasking a series of actions that are done one after the other?

8. Contrary to what you believe, I'm not complaining. I'm providing feedback and there is a difference. I don't hate the game, I want it to be better. I also want a strong base game from the beginning. I do appreciate what EA have done, I just think they can do better and I see nothing wrong with holding them to a high standard because I believe what this franchise deserves. I'm not sure what's wrong with that?

We really don't need options when it comes to newspapers. This game isn't about reading a newspaper. I don't want Ea wasting their resources on newspapers, and I'm sure plenty of other simmers agree with that. You can still make a 1950's world, just don't use the cellphones. You can download cc newspapers... Problem solved.

When did they ever try to boast about how TS4 could run on lower end machines? If anything they were placating players with low end machines, assuring them they could somewhat play it. That was never a main selling point though. And no, we're talking about the same technology... The same technology that allows our sims to socialize like real people in everyday life situations. The same technology that allows our sims to stop waving their hands in the air because an object in their way. The same technology that allows our sims to take their pets to the vet when their sick.

They should've optimized CAW and CAST and Open World, but they chose to invest time in things that really mattered.

Why should mods be the answer for everything that doesn't work right? Because they were the answer with TS3 Late Night and all of those taxis that kept spawning, and the spontaneous inventory hoarding issues. Twallan saved TS3 so much now where is he? The poor guy needed a break after picking up the slack for Ea so long. That's why mods are the answer. Everyone says TS3 wasn't buggy but most of them have Twallan's mods just to make the game playable after several generations.

If you walk into an Ikea and they have an arm chair in only two colors you're out of luck. You can't say "no I want my arm chair to be green, do it now." O.o

What can they do better? The game is playable, immersive, and entertaining.

I would rather they add comics
    bumb1ebee wrote: »
    TS4 is far from perfect, and there are plenty of things that need to be worked on but I still like the game quite a lot. I enjoyed TS3 as well but personally I actually like TS4 better.

me to
  • PrincessrozeeSPrincessrozeeS Posts: 390 Member
    I agree somewhat with the OP. I am enjoying playing the Sims 4 again after what was a long break. I don't have all the packs, missing some of the later ones. I do find myself playing for long periods but for me it can never be as good as the Sims 2. I prefer the way the Sims 4 plays to the Sims 3 though.

I don't get all I want for my Sims in the Sims 4. By that I mean I could play each member of the family in the Sims 2 individually and get as much out of them as I wanted. In the Sims 2 I much preferred how we could take one of our Sims out to a community lot leaving other family members behind and when getting back have those said family members where just as how we left them. The problem for me is when taking a family member to do something on a community lot in the Sims 4 when my Sim gets back the other Sims needs are all over the place. I even had one child leave for school so tired even though she was suppose to "care" for herself. I may leave my Sims in bed sleeping but when I return they are rarely sleeping! Like naughty children they get up and do as they please, lol. I feel we need an options for sleep and eat on this menu instead of care for self. This is not so much of a problem if I am playing a long lifespan or with aging off, but if I playing in a normal lifespan, say in a challenge, this for me is not so much fun because then I have to sort all their needs out when returning. It makes me not want to take my Sims to community lots!

Also I have found it impossible to have toddlers get all their skills on a "normal" lifespan I am just short of a few skills before they age up. Getting an older Sim to help is suppose to build skills quicker with the toddler but this is still impossible for me to achieve. I don't have all the packs so maybe I can improve on this when I have everything installed or perhaps had a bit more practice with toddlers. This also goes for children getting all of the aspirations but at least a child can take a potion to age them back. Maybe I am wanting too much for my Sims on a normal lifespan but that is how I like to play.

I like how we can have a business in the Sims 4 and I did make and play a bakery for sometime. It was ok but no where as much fun as it was in the Sims 2 Open for Business. I need to find out more about playing a business but there isn't the same incentive as there was in the Sims 2. What is missing is the quirky interactions and silly things the non playing Sims did and getting your business up to be a top notch business.

I agree with some of the comments that the Sims 4 has become a money making exercise and lacks a lot of content that previous games had. The one thing I miss is having our Sims in distress. My Sims even though they get bad moodlets it never really brings them down. Not like in the Sims 2 when a Sim went into aspiration failure! And the worse problem I find is things spawning in the Sims 4. Plants and people on lots other than the one you are playing. Flowers and trees not growing, rocks not appearing and sometimes not enough Sims to meet on community lots, especially those not already living in the community. This can make the game very frustrating having to keep visiting those other lots and spending days there just to get a cutting of a plant that wont grow and give flowers or fruit. I got around this by making my own plant lot and installing it in the game but kind of defeats the object of the game.

I am liking the Sims 4 a lot more than when it first came out, but so it should be that was several years ago and not only free content has been added but so many packs have been brought out too. I am having fun with it for the time being exploring what new things have been added and seeing how I can enjoy the game as much as I did with the Sims 2.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2017
    I think the things that I dislike the most about the Sims 3 are being done even to a more extreme and messy extent with the Sims 4. Plus some things I didn't like about the original Sims are done with the Sims 4. I guess the Sims 4 brings everything I dislike most about those two iteration into this iteration between the broken story progression, the small hoods, the constraints to building from the first Sims, babies being ugly and boring objects, the trait system, the rabbit holes, and the moodlet system just to name a few things.

Sims 2 is by far my favorite iteration. I liked the Sims 1 as well but somedays it feels like the Sims 4 can't even do things that game did like terrain and pond tools and NPCs and transportation. I don't hate the Sims 4. I don't love it either. Sims 4 I guess I dislike less since toddlers and vampires came out, but still has leaps and bounds to go to make me even accept it as part of the main series of Sims games. For now it remains a side game like Life Stories and the Urbz are.

Why I joined forums was actually majorly due to what happened to SimCity. I didn't want to see another Sims game go down the drain just because customers were again ignored. Also I was on a site with Gaiaonline and what happened with that site and how customers were belittled on it to an extreme extent made me not wish the same fate for the Sims community. I wanted to prove a lie that was said that Gurus wouldn't listen to regular Simmers especially if they were on forums said by a fan site. I did prove it wrong and managed to find my own voice here like I was able to with Gaiaonline and found out Gurus are really nice and normal like Gaiaonline employees. So no matter how much name calling and trolling I got, I know I wasn't going to let Sims go down without a fight. I don't think the Sims 4 would have gotten toddlers or many other features if Simmers had not been vocal about it. I actually really enjoy batting out some crazy ideas and see if it sticks or not with Gurus and fellow Simmers. Not all ideas are good but funny to see some of them come about.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    james64468 wrote: »
    I don't think that they aimed too high for TS3 and too low for TS4 because it isn’t about what our computers are capable to do. There are much more demanding games out there. Just look at a game like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided where the recommended requirements are:
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K or AMD FX 8350 Wraith
    CPU SPEED: Info
    RAM: 16 GB
    VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon RX 480 - 1920 x 1080 or NVIDIA GTX 970 - 1920 x 1080
    FREE DISK SPACE: 55 GB

Such a computer would be a huge overkill even for TS3. So if TS3 doesn’t run smoothly on it while Deus Ex: Mankind Divided does then it should be clear for everybody that the problem isn’t the open world in TS3. Instead the problem as usual just is that EA doesn’t use enough resources on bug fixing and testing and never has. This most likely also mean that in the end when all expansions for TS4 have been released then TS4 will have have just as many bugs and problems as TS3 had.

Or EA don't give enough time for bugs to be fixed. Then another issue for the icing on the cake. They make a patch then it breaks a previous patch. That isn't just done on Sims 3 but on Sims 4 as well. Might as well add the icecream to the cake. Ea don't care till their money hits rock bottom. When it hurts their stocks they still don't give a flying sugar cookie-Monster. I am very concerned that one day we could end up without the Sims franchise in the future. Or if it gets auction off that the game developer don't care about the Sims fans. They just make really bad games and a few other things. Not trying to be negative but I always see things in the negative light more than the positive light.
    I agree. EA doesn’t make games to please us but just to earn money. (Back in the 1980s when EA started EA didn’t even make games at all but only earned money by publishing games made by other companies. So EA’s expertise has always mainly been about publishing and distributing the games.)

The problem with bug fixing and testing is that EA doesn’t get paid for doing such things. Bug fixes can’t be sold at all for money. So therefore EA has always reduced testing and bug fixing to a minimum such that only the most destructive bugs usually ever are fixed. For the earlier games EA often fixed old bugs though when they were testing a new EP because then often the solution for such old bugs were found at random and it therefore cost EA very little to fix such bugs when EA was preparing a necessary patch for the new EP anyway.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2017
    @BeJaWa Completely agree with your post. Buying clothes could be such a great feature in this game, owning a store, designing them (CASt B) ), selling them, seeing townies wearing them, you could cause total trends in town that way, poor sims wearing cheap clothes, rich sims wearing posh clothes. I don’t care about retail I said earlier but this I’d love.

One paragraph is not entirely clear to me.
    I do prefer ts4 dates (and all events) over ts3 because it is made more clear what makes an event good, I am not into the fact that all events are on a checklist that has to be completed in a certain order, and might be impossible to do depending on your venue, and if you do an event enough it becomes very repetitive. This could be an example of how ts4 limits peoples ability to be creative, you have to do events as the game tells you to or fail at them.
    Isn’t it the checklists that make it more clear? To me it’s quite clear in 3 what makes a date successful or not: doing stuff. Sometimes I invite a sim over and it becomes a date by accident. When I delete the ‘dating’ mechanism in such cases immediately, they declare they had a boring date. When I do stuff with my date, they had a great time. Personally that’s all I need really, rather than checklists where I have to do what the game wants me to do. Throwing a successful party comes down to making sure there’s enough food, enough music and enough people. What more does a party need, people make a party, right ;)?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • OlberOlber Posts: 80 Member
    edited December 2017
    I still liked TS3 better overall. The open world was great (I absolutely despise loading screens, even if they're short) and it had many things I liked. Especially with Master Controller I enjoyed it a bunch, the messages you got for the storyprogression were so cute! TS4's Command Center is absolutely awesome and I couldn't play without it, but I still miss those cute messages. xD But there are also numerous things I like about TS4. It's more fluent overall, I like the pets better for sure, and the toddlers are great (minus the freaking high chair problem where my toddler parents keep taking them out of the chair before they can even eat their food, I doubt that will ever be fixed, much to my frustration, lol).

The main reason I'm sticking with TS4 is because TS3 was just so incredibly unstable and laggy. I've heard of people who had no problems with that, but at this point I honestly believe you're just very lucky if you never had a problem with TS3, because for everyone I know that plays the Sims, it crashed and lagged all over the place (the latter especially with the Island Paradise expansion pack, that was just terrible, which is sad because I did love the idea of the pack). I'm pretty sure my gaming rigs were not to blame here, since everything else has always been smooth as butter. It's a shame, because I loved TS3 and if not for that, I wouldn't have given up on it, but I do quite enjoy being able to play the Sims without having to save it every three seconds because it's probably going to crash at some point...

And well, now that TS4 has toddlers and some expansion packs I actually enjoy, I don't think it's that bad anymore. I just also don't really feel like it's as much progress as I had hoped from a next generation of a game, but that just is what it is and it doesn't mean I can't enjoy playing it.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited December 2017
    Though as I said, emotions are so flawed they may as well be consider a failed feature. They fail to do their task and are one of worst ways actual emotions of the series programmed.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
    edited December 2017

But TS4 did improve the series as a whole. How do you expect simmers to compare older games without breaking it down by features? If we didn't break it down feature by feature we would pretty much be saying "TS4> TS3, or TS3 >TS4." I don't understand what you're saying. :/
    And how does not breaking down features and not making them relevant work to do the comparison "correctly"? I mean, how do make a "comparison" without breaking it down? If I were to praise TS4 due how cats in it can jump on any furniture/surface this time around as a superior feature in comparison to what everything TS3 PETS offered, that makes me only a little wrong? Or can be vice versa, like TS3>TS4 in any case. That.... eh makes it kinda unfair to justify it being the best game out of others in the same franchise over one slight teeny-tiny advantage difference it has than what other offers. Can you provide an example to your argument how else we should compare without breaking it down by features? To me, your idea and suggestion sounds it would make comparison inconsistent than to what you believe it is.

NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Amistri2016Amistri2016 Posts: 65 Member
    > @Sigzy05 said:
    > alexandrea wrote: »
    >
    > aricarai wrote: »
    >
    > I've started to find it interesting when people compare TS4 to older games by saying things like, 'Well this is so much better (insert feature here) in TS4 than TS3 (or TS or TS2).' Isn't the the WHOLE point of a sequel in a series to improve and make things better? When comparisons like that are made, it just seems like sort of moot because the current iteration should be better.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > But TS4 did improve the series as a whole. How do you expect simmers to compare older games without breaking it down by features? If we didn't break it down feature by feature we would pretty much be saying "TS4> TS3, or TS3 >TS4." I don't understand what you're saying. :/
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > How and when? TS4 is the least to introduce new ways of playing the game.
    >
    > TS1 is the base. Isometric camera, sims have no aspirations or wants or fears, only mood and interests. No aging. 7 static skill points and zodiac based personalities. Community lots were added through an EP, Pets, Magic, Fame active career, Vacation lots and dates. TS1 had terrain tools.
    >
    > TS2 went from isometric to 3D camera and objects, it added wants, fears, memories, aspirations, aging, genetics, week days, 7 lifestages, base game had community lots including shops and parks. It also included a world maker tool, world editing tools, stories you could make for your sims, first time sliders to adjust sim faces, separate tops and bottoms and color costumization. EP's added a new lifestage, changing Seasons for the first time, ability to run a business in a community lot, badges, turn ons and turn offs, nightclubs, bars and bowling alleys, pet sliders and coat costumization, university, beaches sims could swim in and exploring other cultures from the far east and mountains and living with other sim families in the same lot.
    >
    > TS3 went from single lot loading to full open world, you could visit other sim houses for the first time and without a loading screen. 7 static skills transitioned to a more open skill system, you now had guitar skill, gardening skill, fishing skill etc. Personality points transformed into traits, sims's mood was now moodlet based, sims had inventories in the base game, cellphones, sims could have three people conversations, you could make and schedule parties with a huge amount of sims instead of only 3 or 4, sims could receive opportunities from work etc, sims had bosses and co-workers for the first time, CAST allowed for mega customization, in 2009 customizing colors and patterns of every furniture piece and clothing was a huge plum deal, diagonal and free object placing, community lots included parks, community pools, graveyards, art galleries, gyms, the beach, and even though they were rabbit holes you could see the city hall etc. For the first time there were more than 3 body shapes, muscles and fat were sliders and you could also choose shoes separately from bottom clothing. EP's added the ability to personalize tattoos, plum size and muscle definition slides, basements for the first time, swimming on every beach, swimming underwater, traveling though boats in addition to cars, moving boat houses, owning resorts, exploring tombs, horse pets, snakes and other small animals besides hamsters, future tech (hoverboards, jetpacks etc.), sim online dating, consignment shopping and selling, etc.
    >
    > TS4...well...TS4 added push and pull Cas features, emotions instead of mood "bar" and improved multitasking. Wall and foundation height but you can't put separate foundations anymore. And that's it. Regarding EP's the only new things in the series are the club system, lot traits, pet painting.... and that's it. What can you do for the first time in TS4? Talk to a toilet in City Living?

I believe you just sold me on investing in the Sims 3. I am so utterly bored with TS4 right now just because of the customizing of colors & patterns. I just don't understand why that wouldn't have been something they brought over to their new game. They had a winning model & if they would've invested time to fix everything & update Sims 3 graphic with the new CAS system, they would have struck a goldmine. The fact that EA/Maxis are still putting out incomplete & bugged content only proves that they truly lack the vision & love they once had for their game.

This may have been different if their were similar games on the market but unfortunately that is not the case. I still hold out that another developer may rise to the occasion. I can at least dream.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2017
    Olber wrote: »
    I still liked TS3 better overall. The open world was great (I absolutely despise loading screens, even if they're short) and it had many things I liked. Especially with Master Controller I enjoyed it a bunch, the messages you got for the storyprogression were so cute! TS4's Command Center is absolutely awesome and I couldn't play without it, but I still miss those cute messages. xD But there are also numerous things I like about TS4. It's more fluent overall, I like the pets better for sure, and the toddlers are great (minus the freaking high chair problem where my toddler parents keep taking them out of the chair before they can even eat their food, I doubt that will ever be fixed, much to my frustration, lol).

The main reason I'm sticking with TS4 is because TS3 was just so incredibly unstable and laggy. I've heard of people who had no problems with that, but at this point I honestly believe you're just very lucky if you never had a problem with TS3, because for everyone I know that plays the Sims, it crashed and lagged all over the place (the latter especially with the Island Paradise expansion pack, that was just terrible, which is sad because I did love the idea of the pack). I'm pretty sure my gaming rigs were not to blame here, since everything else has always been smooth as butter. It's a shame, because I loved TS3 and if not for that, I wouldn't have given up on it, but I do quite enjoy being able to play the Sims without having to save it every three seconds because it's probably going to crash at some point...

And well, now that TS4 has toddlers and some expansion packs I actually enjoy, I don't think it's that bad anymore. I just also don't really feel like it's as much progress as I had hoped from a next generation of a game, but that just is what it is and it doesn't mean I can't enjoy playing it.
    I can't imagine anyone ever had 'no problems' with Sims 3. That is, crashes are too rare in my case to be a real issue (probably because I played vanilla for years and now that I do have mods, I don't overdo it and I make sure to clean cache files before every playing session). Bugs and glitches though? Yes, of course. The reason I'm still sticking with the game and never ever considered to quit, is because it's so addictive. I take the issues for granted and they are too occasional to be seriously put off by them. I still think the game has been falsely blamed in some areas, especially where 'crashing and lagging' are concerned. Because the only people I always saw and see complaining about that, were the ones with an overload of CC. The complaints about this I fear has contributed to EA dumbing down this game so much. Bugs and bad routing (IP) are real unfortunately, and I can't imagine there's one Sims 3 ambassador denying that.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited December 2017

You are totally missing my points. Let me break it down further for you.

1. I never said WE should all read newspapers. I haven't made any blanket statements about WE. The point is about having the options. As was just said, options should be there not taken away. It's not about technology advancing in game. The Sims is meant to be a sandbox game where the player plays as they wish. If I want to make a world set in the 1950s without cell phones and with newspapers, I should be able to.

2. On the point of specs, one of the selling points before release is that TS4 would run on lower end machines. I think that's wrong and probably why the engine can't handle a lot of things. I've seen gurus state that they couldn't add certain features because the engine couldn't support the technology to do it. So I think you're talking about a different technology than I am.

3. You missed out an important part of what I said when you bolded part of my sentence. I said it was about the world TOO. I never said it focused on one thing over another. And again, it's not a complaint, it's feedback about open world. In hopes that it will make a reappearance. No one is getting up in arms.

4. CAW, CASt, Open World all may have been buggy (I'm not saying that they were) as heck. So you're saying it's ok not to try again to make it better than before? Why not try to optimise it better?

5. I'm not opposed to mods at all, but why is that or should it be the answer for everything that doesn't work or isn't right?

6. I'm pretty sure it's possible to get furniture in any color under the sun in real life, so I am not sure what your point is there.

7. Don't emotions override traits a lot of the times? Isn't multitasking a series of actions that are done one after the other?

8. Contrary to what you believe, I'm not complaining. I'm providing feedback and there is a difference. I don't hate the game, I want it to be better. I also want a strong base game from the beginning. I do appreciate what EA have done, I just think they can do better and I see nothing wrong with holding them to a high standard because I believe what this franchise deserves. I'm not sure what's wrong with that?

We really don't need options when it comes to newspapers. This game isn't about reading a newspaper. I don't want Ea wasting their resources on newspapers, and I'm sure plenty of other simmers agree with that. You can still make a 1950's world, just don't use the cellphones. You can download cc newspapers... Problem solved.

When did they ever try to boast about how TS4 could run on lower end machines? If anything they were placating players with low end machines, assuring them they could somewhat play it. That was never a main selling point though. And no, we're talking about the same technology... The same technology that allows our sims to socialize like real people in everyday life situations. The same technology that allows our sims to stop waving their hands in the air because an object in their way. The same technology that allows our sims to take their pets to the vet when their sick.

They should've optimized CAW and CAST and Open World, but they chose to invest time in things that really mattered.

Why should mods be the answer for everything that doesn't work right? Because they were the answer with TS3 Late Night and all of those taxis that kept spawning, and the spontaneous inventory hoarding issues. Twallan saved TS3 so much now where is he? The poor guy needed a break after picking up the slack for Ea so long. That's why mods are the answer. Everyone says TS3 wasn't buggy but most of them have Twallan's mods just to make the game playable after several generations.

If you walk into an Ikea and they have an arm chair in only two colors you're out of luck. You can't say "no I want my arm chair to be green, do it now." O.o

What can they do better? The game is playable, immersive, and entertaining.

Than what the game is all about? Where does it say/advertise/market it's about anything. Future advancements? Why do books still exist without newspaper? "You can still make a 1950's world, just don't use the cellphones" - You forgot to send the person good luck because AFAIK it's impossible to disable these handheld machines and the obsession that sims have over them.

And what are these "things" that really mattered? (By any changechange these things you refer that are upon your wishlist?). Tbh, CAW and CAST and Open World were and are the desirable suggestions by the fans (as far as my observation goes).

You really have to realized not everyone enjoy and doesn't give 🐸🐸🐸🐸 the same things you do/don't. Once you do, the answer is pretty obvious and answered to your question that is in the title of this thread.
    Post edited by DragonCat159 on
    NNpYlHF.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top