Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Light switches in TS4

FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
edited November 2017 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Looking at the concept art I spotted a light switch. I hope you consider adding them at some point, this would be a cool and fresh new addition to the series.
It would really add to the realism.
flqGFMZ.png
BUT
It should be a functional object with an animation, NOT a decorative object!
When you click on it you can turn all the lights in this room off and on.

MTS_KevinsHope-414155-LightSwitch.jpg
a256aFi.gif

Comments

• justdancerebeccajustdancerebecca Posts: 1,334 Member
    I have custom content ones. I know that's probably not what you're looking for but either way that would be a cool idea. Gives more control on what lights are turned on/off at any time I suppose
    wr7jm5.png&quot

• FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited November 2017
    I have custom content ones. I know that's probably not what you're looking for but either way that would be a cool idea. Gives more control on what lights are turned on/off at any time I suppose
    I know, I prefer to play without custom content. :) If a modder can do it, Maxis can do it within a second. :D
    a256aFi.gif
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    Considering there are functional locks on doors, you're right, there should be light switches too!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Caszidy215Caszidy215 Posts: 310 Member
    Would be cool. Hopefully a modder can do it if EA does not.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2017
    Silly idea seeing the lights in the game can be set to come on how ever you want by clicking on them. 2- lights automatically come on the minute your sim walks in the room unless you have them set to not come on. Adding a light switch is possibly going to conflict with the base game programming and probably why if they add them they will just be decor anyway.

Don't get the point, as realism is what you make it. Sims is far from realism - I mean you can set how long a sim lives, babies take just few days to be born, every sim has a ghost form that communicates with the family and friends, sim teleport every where and make hourly wages most of us could only dream about with out ever needing an education. Really - where exactly is the realism anyway. It is definitely NOT in the Sims. LOL.

Now a days though you can already set lights to motion sensors to make the lights come on when you enter a room - just like the sims lights normally do. That too is realism as it happens in real life if that is the same reason you need light switches. In the sims I don't really want wall space to go to light switches to be honest so I hope if it did come in the game - maybe in a build pack, it will remain an item of choice.

Personally I like motion sensor lights idea, and will be glad when they are every where, in real life, if for nothing else but a safety feature in homes.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    I know, I prefer to play without custom content. :) If a modder can do it, Maxis can do it within a second. :D[/quote You have the same thoughts as me when it comes to custom content
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
    edited December 2017
    I know, I prefer to play without custom content. :) If a modder can do it, Maxis can do it within a second. :D[/quote You have the same thoughts as me when it comes to custom content

Acctually it is not the same if a modder can do it - seeing what they can do is instantly reversable by removing the mod. But if Maxis does something, and say that something breaks something else - seeing what Maxis does changes codes - just like all their recent code changes with Cats and Dogs broke all the player mods and CC - and most mods cannot break your CC and other mods (unless they conflict or create script issues with EA's code) - so it is a big deal for Maxis to make changes - but rather easy for modders to do. Modders for one thing have nothing to lose if their mods have issues they just remove them - but we all suffer if Maxis changes things in the game - often even if we don't use mods or CC - but always if we do use those things. Maxis is the only one who can change code.

You are right on one thing if a ordinary modder can do it- any developer or engineer at Maxis can - but because they don't do some thing we want - there is always a very good reason why they choose not to implement a lot of different or new code - especially in such a small and insignificant item. Especially if a modder has already made such an item available - why on earth should they chance changing any code, which a light switch very well can seeing the game already has ways to turn on and off lights - so to change that would alter code, and do you really want everyones CC and mods broke again for a light switch?

I'm with Maxis on things like this which is not an important feature or a feature that would give light in the game - seeing we already have working lights.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• TazziannaTazzianna Posts: 141 Member
    edited December 2017
    who says it has to be a modification to the game file? just put them in - decor is fine. i for one like to play my game as realisticly as possible - and i enjoy it that way - i don't want money trees or money dug out of the ground - i make my sims suffer and earn their keep just as i have IRL - and if they earn it they get to go out to dinner, out camping etc... and no, mods made in the community are not for everyone. i have 2 versions of the game i play one with and one without mods - and my game runs PERFECTLY w/o mods so - I tend to play the No CC version most.

by the way seeing as how we already have that in the game - well you know we already have couches and paintings - i guess we have enough - maybe they shouldn't bother with what we already have plenty of? silly right? ridiculous - give us more crap to decorate with! we like it - the more realistic the better. you can't please everyone but the majority of decorators prefer objects that actually look good and make sense in their builds.
    edited December 2017
    Tazzianna wrote: »
    who says it has to be a modification to the game file? just put them in - decor is fine. i for one like to play my game as realisticly as possible - and i enjoy it that way - i don't want money trees or money dug out of the ground - i make my sims suffer and earn their keep just as i have IRL - and if they earn it they get to go out to dinner, out camping etc... and no, mods made in the community are not for everyone. i have 2 versions of the game i play one with and one without mods - and my game runs PERFECTLY w/o mods so - I tend to play the No CC version most.

by the way seeing as how we already have that in the game - well you know we already have couches and paintings - i guess we have enough - maybe they shouldn't bother with what we already have plenty of? silly right? ridiculous - give us more plum to decorate with! we like it - the more realistic the better. you can't please everyone but the majority of decorators prefer objects that actually look good and make sense in their builds.

They were asking for working light switches - not decor ones. That was suggested and they said they had decor ones.

here's what that simmer said - I was replying to:

"It should be a functional object with an animation, NOT a decorative object!
    When you click on it you can turn all the lights in this room off and on."

Then they mentioned modders had made some so why couldn't Maxis -

Hence my reply. As I do not use mods, nor do I suggest anyone to use them. So I was not suggesting that - .It was the OP.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I know, I prefer to play without custom content. :) If a modder can do it, Maxis can do it within a second. :D

I next to no cc since S3 Supernatural came out in S3 and none in S4. I love realism and would love the addition of light switches. Since lights come on when clicking them, then it should be easy to click a switch and do the same. I haven't paid attention, but if we still don't have a fan with a light that works, then I would like that too. Maybe they could do an electronics pack one day. :)

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    If you saw the Laundry Day LS, then you saw the list of things they are looking to add and light switches are on the list.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    If you saw the Laundry Day LS, then you saw the list of things they are looking to add and light switches are on the list.

But the question is, will it be functional?
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • everthewildeoneeverthewildeone Posts: 87 Member
    I hate to be the buzzkill here but I honestly don't see a reason for this.
    z2mSmjo.png

Click the siggy to check out my Youtube and if you like what you see, subscribe!