Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Kids walking the dog

JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
I wonder if the gurus can answer..

Was there a reason why the option for children to walk the dog was not included? I would have thought it would be a great opportunity for kids to earn responsibility points (from the parenthood pack) when they did. Also kind of like a household chore for the child to do for those more domestic players like myself.

I am a little sad to see this wasn't included. This, and having dogs sleep on the bed with you. My pup does and I was looking forward to that. I totally get that in game design, decisions have to be made about what to focus on and include within the parameters of a budget. But I'm just wondering since walking the dog is an animation heavily focused on in the pack (as it should have been), I'm just wondering why children can't. I can't imagine the animations would have been drastically different.

Other than that.. loving the pack! My house of 4 sims and 4 pets is the busiest it's ever been in this series and I can't get enough.

Tagging @SimGuruJM @SimGuruGrant @SimGuruDrake and if anyone knows of any other gurus to tag that can answer this question, please kindly do so :smile:

Comments

• Options
    HugoBeeHugoBee Posts: 36 Member
    I thought it was a bit weird too. Considering they went full into this expansion, attempting to fill it with realistic details (which they did splendidly), you'd think kids walking dogs would be a no brainer. I never had my own dog, but I used to always go around walking people's dogs for them when I was a kid, could've been a really cool feature for kids to be able to earn a bit of money! Anywho, I'm intrigued for an answer!
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    I'll be bookmarking this thread in hopes of a answer, honestly I'm rather curious about it since the kids seem to be able to do almost everything else with the dogs.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    KamioKamio Posts: 2,213 Member
    Probably to match current parenting/responsibility laws. In Australia you can't leave a child under 12 unattended - within reasons. Lots of parents are getting fined for letting theirs kids walk to school alone. It could be to reflect this?
    Simming since 2001!! Origin ID: KamioMax[/center]
  • Options
    BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    This is definitely a disappointing point of this pack. This is the Sims, not real life. I used to walk my dog around the neighbourhood as a child in the 90's and absolutely nothing bad happened. It was a fun bonding experience for us!
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    Kamio wrote: »
    Probably to match current parenting/responsibility laws. In Australia you can't leave a child under 12 unattended - within reasons. Lots of parents are getting fined for letting theirs kids walk to school alone. It could be to reflect this?

Interesting. I'm not sure if It's in the US...there's 7-10 year olds all over the place in my neightborhood, and at the mall all the time on their own...Well at least in New Jersey lol. Maybe Cali is a little different..which would make sense if EA maybe went this route. If that's the case then I understand it.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    Mikado-chanMikado-chan Posts: 108 Member
    edited November 2017
    Kamio wrote: »

Meanwhile we can see kids alone at night clubs in TS4 :D But walking dogs is too much!
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I've noticed that kids generally play with pets but it's the parents that are responsible for upkeep.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I've noticed that kids generally play with pets but it's the parents that are responsible for upkeep.

I think kids can get responsibility for feeding them? I don't have the pack yet. Wonder if a Modder could make it that sim kids can walk dogs?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    RudiaroseRudiarose Posts: 891 Member
    Yea, my dogs keep asking the kids to take them for walks and they cannot take them. Seems weird to me.
  • Options
    has anyone check to see if the option doesn't show up outside with the kids+dog?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    It's their thanksgiving weekend so likely we won't get an answer until earliest Monday.
  • Options
    tegteg87tegteg87 Posts: 305 Member
    It was probably a cost/time saving thing - different height to adults therefore would need an extra leash animation added.
  • Options
    MicemSimsMicemSims Posts: 463 Member
    I don’t understand why children can’t walk the dog but they can do the heel command with dog which is basically the same animation except the kids aren’t holding the leesh. I feel like it should be very easy to add in...
  • Options
    MicemSims wrote: »
    I don’t understand why children can’t walk the dog but they can do the heel command with dog which is basically the same animation except the kids aren’t holding the leesh. I feel like it should be very easy to add in...

which means a modder *could* probably figure out how to mod kids walking dogs
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    So it looks like we won't get an answer to this, which is unfortunate. Ah well. Thanks for the responses fellow simmers :smile:
  • Options
    LumiastaLumiasta Posts: 171 Member
    I would love this as well. The child in my current main household is a dog lover, and there's five dogs in the house. She plays and pets and even trains and lectures them, but can't take them for walks or wash them, and I really really wish she could.
  • Options
    oasis10oasis10 Posts: 81 Member
    I would love having the children walking the dogs.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited December 2017
    It's really interesting that after being tagged, not one of the gurus have bothered to answer this.

In any case, it's probably exactly as @tegteg87 said: it was cheaper.

TS4 is the equivalent of cereal boxes that are half the size they used to be and the majority of that, filled with air. Being a consumer really sucks these days.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg