Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Illegal/prohibited to change "region locked" game language?

I'm one of the unlucky ones who likes to play their game in a different language other than what the game comes with. My version is locked to English US but I like to play in German because that's my native language.

I managed to change my games language from English to German by replacing the "Strings_ENG_US.package" with the german one and changing some numbers in the package file. I shared the result (not the way it's done) as a picture in a Sims 4 Group and got kicked for that.

Now my question is: Is it illegal or in any way prohibited to acquire the other language strings packages and/or sharing it with others? I was thinking about creating a mod with the modified string packages to help all the other people out that like to play their game in another language.
I own the store since March 4th, 2017! Thanks to everybody who has helped me achieve this!
TheSims3.com: Jahnna

Comments

• MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    You can just change the game language in the game's settings in origin...
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    I didn't even know languages were locked. I play with english because my language isn't represented and I am not good with other scandinavian languages. But I can't see any reason for it to be locked.
  • JahnnaJahnna Posts: 406 Member
    You can just change the game language in the game's settings in origin...

No I can't because not all languages are available to all Sims 4 purchases. I bought mine in the UK and the only language option I get is English US. People buying the Sims 4 in Germany however can select between all of the languages. That's why Im asking if it is illegal or prohibited to acquire the language packages that usually wouldn't come with your game copy and/or sharing them with others so they can change their language too.

4a09a8c19d12ec420fac21c96a331bf4.png
    I own the store since March 4th, 2017! Thanks to everybody who has helped me achieve this!
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    It shouldn't be illegal. After all, you bought the game legally, and you're just modding it with a patch to be able to play it in a language you're more comfortable with. Honestly, though, with the way that people migrate these days, EA really should have had all languages available to purchasers in all regions...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
    edited November 2017
    It shouldn't be illegal. After all, you bought the game legally, and you're just modding it with a patch to be able to play it in a language you're more comfortable with. Honestly, though, with the way that people migrate these days, EA really should have had all languages available to purchasers in all regions...

I know right. I thought that couldn't possibly be illegal because theoretically I could travel to germany and buy the game there to have all the language packages available or even get it imported (a EA Community mod even suggested that to someone). I was just curious if it was indeed illegal because why would you restrict languages to purchase locations in the first place?
    I have never see a gaming client or developer ever do that before. I even created a petition for that, to get EA to open up al languages to all countries/locations but one's obviously not allowed to share petitions here.

Edit: What I forgot to mention is: The game does not come with all languages packages by nature, like mine only came with the English US one. But my best friend who lives in german has them all at her hand and gave me her german language package to be able to mod it into my game. But that's what I mean I could also just travel to germany buy the game there again to have all packages.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    In that case, I'd not share them, unless you know for sure that it's not illegal. There's probably some legal reason why it's locked, otherwise they would have made all languages available in your region, since you know it's technically possible for all languages to be available/free to choose from.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
    edited November 2017
    What legal reason would that be? Especially when EA Community Mods even suggest that you can get the game imported from elsewhere, buy in a local store and you could travel and purchase it in another country to have your desired language.
    I don't see how it could possibly be illegal or prohibited but I just wanted to make sure. I have not found any evidence that EA has ever said something like it's illegal to change the language that way.
    At some point people shared their language packs and gave instructions on how to make it work by changing values in the registry. But hat method became obsolete after EA released a patch sometime in 2016.
  • FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    Complete shot in the dark here, but could it maybe have something to do with discouraging players from buying the game in a country / from a foreign website where it's considerably cheaper? I have absolutely no idea, though. Pretty sure that The Sims games in the Netherlands come with every supported language available. I bought my game in the Netherlands but I play the game in English, and it works totally fine. :)

I do agree with @MDianaSanders about not sharing. If you're not sure about the legality, I honestly just wouldn't take the risk and not share it until you know for sure that you are allowed to.
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
    Maybe @SimGuruDrake knows a little more about the legality of acquiring and sharing modified sims 4 Strings_Language.packages to enable changing the language for others?
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    When I installed the base game I was given a choice of languages for playing the game; I chose English because that's my native language. There should have been similar options for you when you installed. Then when you install packs they would default to what you chose when you installed base game. Maybe try uninstalling then reinstall and see what you get? (Backing up important folders like Saves, Tray, etc.) Considering the international appeal of the game and the fact we live in a global society, it would not make sense to limit languages by region. (It actually might be interesting to play a game in a language other than your native language, especially if you're studying that second language in school like Spanish or French, just for additional practice in translating while playing games.)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    edited November 2017
    When I installed the base game I was given a choice of languages for playing the game; I chose English because that's my native language. There should have been similar options for you when you installed. Then when you install packs they would default to what you chose when you installed base game. Maybe try uninstalling then reinstall and see what you get? (Backing up important folders like Saves, Tray, etc.) Considering the international appeal of the game and the fact we live in a global society, it would not make sense to limit languages by region. (It actually might be interesting to play a game in a language other than your native language, especially if you're studying that second language in school like Spanish or French, just for additional practice in translating while playing games.)

That's the problem and if you looked at the picture I posted a few post ago you would see that an EA Community manager said that not all languages are available for all versions (big pictures in spoiler):
    Germany: Offers all 17 language options.
    af4c5706922f992800262d4d5bc67c57.png

UK: Offers 1.
    3b01eddd338edcdfd141e832baff866b.png

• SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I just checked mine, and the U.S. release also has all of the language options. It's so weird that the U.K. release would only have English as an option when it's even closer to all of those other European countries than the U.S. is. That's really strange...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    edited November 2017
    Have you tried changing your Origin language? Then after you have changed that, you might be able to reinstall and download that game in the language you set for Origin. Not sure if this works tough but I was wondering about this couple of years ago. I had a problem with languages too, but now my Origin account has all those languages and all I have to do is to choose and the game will automatically change the language. I sometimes switch between 2 languages...
    edited November 2017
    @SimsLovinLycan
    I know right! It's absolutely ridiculous! But I have also seen cases of people who bought their games in the USA or other parts within the USA and they did not have all of the language options supported. Also seen the same problem with people living in the Scandinavian countries only having a limited amount of languages and the russian version only offers russian and/or polish I believe.

@Jadeleine
    No, it has nothing to do with the client language. It has to do with where the game was purchased. The Sims 4 on the my Origin Store page even only lists English (US) under supported languages.
    Post edited by Jahnna on
    Why was this moved to Technical Discussions?

I asked: "Is it illegal or in any way prohibited to acquire the other language strings packages and/or sharing it with others?". That's not a technical discussion and we are not talking about a technical issues here, but simply explaining how things are at the moment to the users who didn't know about the language restictions.