Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Plum?

SineeaSineea Posts: 207 Member
edited November 2017 in Forum Ideas & Feedback
Seriously, you can't even write stupid!? That's not a cuss word! Do you think the language filter is way too strict on these forums?

I'm all for a language filter, but this one seems kind of way too stupid.
I use no mods or CC and I repair my game after every time I play.

Comments

• Options
    EnderGamer87EnderGamer87 Posts: 248 Member
    But how did you write plum (plum) on here?
  • Options
    EnderGamer87EnderGamer87 Posts: 248 Member
    oh nvm I get it now
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    edited November 2017
    I'm offended by the words that are considered to be offensive!

Seriously, I can't even name traditional australian footwear, because apparently it's a type of bum floss in the us, and somehow, it's a bloody swear word. :/

Edit: it's hilarious, the number of words that I can use, that aren't filtered, while innocent ones are.
    But you should try the aussie forum. We laugh at the filter there. Apparently spicy pizza is as naughty as it gets. (seriously, it gets turned to plum plum, no one knows why,broken filter, maybe)

Also, never really go the term "cuss", as far as I can tell, it's a miss spelling of curse, which is kind of odd. To swear is to make an oath, while a curse is... well, a pox on both your houses! I guess you'd call that an ill wish.

It does make me question our use of bloody oath and stone the flamin' crows. And were do gods teeth fit into all this? What about Odin's Beard? By Odin's beard, I will stone the flamin' crows! Imagine Thor saying it.

Yeah, don't look at me, I don't get plum.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    SimsweetieSimsweetie Posts: 562 Member
    Movotti wrote: »

Seriously, I can't even name traditional australian footwear, because apparently it's a type of bum floss in the us, and somehow, it's a bloody swear word. :/

We call them flip flops.
  • Options
    Simsweetie wrote: »

We call them flip flops.

Yeah, but thats a term used in movies that we can't name. So I don't know how it isn't turned to plum. :/

And the traditional term we use, is a term the us uses for bum floss.

And speaking of bum, the US uses a dirty word for bum bags. In fact, the whole term used sound's downright filthy. But I assume fanny pack is not filtered.
  • Options
    SimsweetieSimsweetie Posts: 562 Member

We call them flip flops.

Yeah, but thats a term used in movies that we can't name. So I don't know how it isn't turned to plum. :/

And speaking of bum, the US uses a dirty word for bum bags. In fact, the whole term used sound's downright filthy. But I assume fanny pack is not filtered.

lol A fanny pack is just a geeky waist purse. Bum bag sounds much worse to me. Although in the US, bums are dirty homeless people who live on the streets.
  • Options

We call them flip flops.

lol A fanny pack is just a geeky waist purse. Bum bag sounds much worse to me. Although in the US, bums are dirty homeless people who live on the streets.

A fanny is the female crotch region.
    A bum is a backside. I sit on my bum.

Fanny pack is a term that makes people from most English speaking countries cringe. Even most Europeans find it to be a really disturbing term. Fanny alone is bad enough, but adding pack to it turns it into something really filthy.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    The filter on these forums is absolutely ludicrous. I remember that "vase" used to be censored.
    God knows why, it's utterly ridiculous.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey folks,

I agree the filter can sometimes be a little bit over zealous. If you come across a word that shouldn't be turned into plum, please post it here.

It will get turned into plum, but I'll be able to see the word you meant. Just tag me when you add words and I'll get on it.

PS! I will review the words already turned into plum in this thread, but please note some words may have meanings in this day and age that are not so nice and can be used as insults.

-Mage
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    edited November 2017
    The dumbest plummy I've ever seen besides stoopid (you know what I mean) is the Uni student Cid Serverus... his first name gets plummed...WHY?? :s
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Well that is strange, it plummed his name when I first posted but went to edit a typo and it posted his name fine...strange..
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Well that is strange, it plummed his name when I first posted but went to edit a typo and it posted his name fine...strange..
    . I have gotten so use to writing Plum in this forum just because I know I may get plummed out for silly things . Things I never knew should be plummed out.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    People can now say stupid and Cid without getting plum'ed :)

On stupid - please be careful! If people start using this as an insult towards each other I will be plum'ing it again!
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    One word that I noticed is the word circled in red:

23755180_10155076547181497_22014684619550598_n.jpg?oh=53a3784c7c6e5dc33e5e47c54d8c73b6&oe=5AAA9D84

It was a word used a lot in the 2000s about a fashion sense and attitude, almost culture like in the UK in the 2000s and although it might be seen as derogatory, it is also used affectionately and has never been a swear word or used racially in any way. The word has less common usage as it did ten years ago but it would be harmless on this forum as most players are not from the UK.

I actually made a Sim family and used that word but then I realised that it was filtered. Think of the word being used the same was as some people are known has Hicks. It might be offensive to some at one time but not so much in this day and age where it has become mainstream
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    @king_of_simcity7 If I Google the word and Google dictionary's first definitions is: "A young lower-class person typified by brash and loutish behaviour." then I am inclined to leave the word in the filter as it has a negative connotation.

Thanks for bringing up though!
  • Options
    PurrdaleckiPurrdalecki Posts: 972 Member
    Oh. Haha. Filters. Wowee. When I was younger I played a website that wouldn't let you say anything. Entire sentences would be censored for no apparent a reason. "Oh I'm taking my dog for a walk today" would just.. Well if they censored to the same degree as they did there on this forum that entire sentence would show up as : plum plum plum plum plum plum plum plum plum plum.....

It was so frustrating. You couldn't even say numbers, and no I don't mean that one two digit number that everybody laughs about, maybe that one I could understand, but 18? Why? Smiley faces that they made for the game were censored. Sometimes people would write multiple paragraphs just for the entire thing to be censored. I'm not even exaggerating. You couldn't say "oh my granny wants to come over today" because.. Come was a bad word. Why.. I mean I know why but like. That is too far. Too far!

I remember getting banned because of some punctuation I put at the end of a sentence. Where punctuation belongs. Apparently it was a bad word. I just.. I don't even know. It was like umm. Hey I'm getting nachos! Chat with me if you want some. Okay it wasn't that I wasn't getting anyone nachos but do note the s!c.. Apparantly.. That is a rude word now. You can't say that. Profanity! Shock horror! Wash your mouth out with soap young woman! Okay I'm done. I swear.
    tumblr_inline_o2epubgZOk1tbsl8q_500.gif
    My sims 4 studio with poses for download and stuff: click
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Edit: it's hilarious, the number of words that I can use, that aren't filtered, while innocent ones are.
    But you should try the aussie forum. We laugh at the filter there. Apparently spicy pizza is as naughty as it gets. (seriously, it gets turned to plum plum, no one knows why,broken filter, maybe)

Also, never really go the term "cuss", as far as I can tell, it's a miss spelling of curse, which is kind of odd. To swear is to make an oath, while a curse is... well, a pox on both your houses! I guess you'd call that an ill wish.

It does make me question our use of bloody oath and stone the flamin' crows. And were do gods teeth fit into all this? What about Odin's Beard? By Odin's beard, I will stone the flamin' crows! Imagine Thor saying it.

It's funny 'bloody' isn't censored since bloody is a swear word, too. I get aggravated when the site changes my words to plum which aren't even swear words but some unrelated meaning in some far off country that doesn't even allow The Sims, then makes me look like I actually used a nasty word or something. The filter should be smarter and determine how a word is used not if it means something somewhere far away who never even heard of this game or the internet.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    @EA_Mage Yes that was one of the stereotypes that was used quite a lot so I guess that it is best to leave the word as filtered but I doubt that many people would use that word on here. It was really a 2000s thing
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
    edited November 2017
    Cinebar wrote: »

It's funny 'bloody' isn't censored since bloody is a swear word, too. I get aggravated when the site changes my words to plum which aren't even swear words but some unrelated meaning in some far off country that doesn't even allow The Sims, then makes me look like I actually used a nasty word or something. The filter should be smarter and determine how a word is used not if it means something somewhere far away who never even heard of this game or the internet.

The meaning of Bloody is different here in the USA as it's meaning is "covered or stained in blood", which would explain why it's not censored on the site.

Edit to say that I agree that the filter should be smarter and determine how the word is use. I remember when users here were talking about Ritz Crackers or Peanut Butter Crackers in a thread about their favorite foods and how the word "cracker" would get censored do to the fact that the word could also be used in a bad way here in the USA.
  • Options
    @lisasc360 he word 'bloody' is sometimes replaced with 'bleedin' which seems to be a London thing. 'I was late for word today because of the bleedin traffic!'

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
    @lisasc360 he word 'bloody' is sometimes replaced with 'bleedin' which seems to be a London thing. 'I was late for word today because of the bleedin traffic!'

@king_of_simcity7, Yeah I've looked up the word on the Urban Dictionary and it states that in the UK that it replaces a word over there making it a bad word. I've heard Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer use the word "Bloody" when he's swearing.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    One of the towers of the Tower of London is called "The Bloody Tower" so please keep it. In the uk it is used mainly with another word following it ie: opposite of Heaven >:)

It is (supposedly) where Edward V and his brother, Richard Duke of York were murdered. Who by is a matter of debate!
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Yay I can play Cid Serverus again and not have to change his name every time I post an update on him :)
  • Options
    @Mikezumi Did anyone ever know why his name was filtered out? Is it because of the CID?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top