Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game shipped broken, I can't even use my game as a paperweight!

jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
edited November 2017 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
So far, the Xbox One version of The Sims 4 has worse reviews than the PC game, and a 2.2/10 user score, with the PS4 version also having a 69/100 review score, with a 4.2/10 User Score!

Why?

EA shipped a game where you can't even save majority of the time, text can't be read unless you have a huge TV, and the UI and controls are so hideous that critics can't even play the game.

They've literally damaged the reputation they spent 2+ years trying to rebuild, the base game should have better scores now because we've had all these great updates. But unlike The Sims 3 console games, which ported The Sims 3 amazingly with console controls, EA decided to spent next to money and will now probably lose potentially customers over this.

PLEASE EA, START TESTING YOUR PRODUCTS BEFORE THEY HIT THE SHELF!!!

The fact we can't even save the game on Day 1, is absolutely terrible.

I have a game that I cannot use. And I spent money on the bundle as well. And so far, we haven't even had a fix.
And because it's digital, I can't even make a joke about using it as a paperweight!

It's a joke.
Post edited by jackjack_k on

Comments

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    First sentence of the IGN review:

After struggling to get the cursor to select the “Save” button in the foreground menu instead of toggling between my Sim’s aspirations menu in the background, I somehow finagled a way to save my progress.

Like, how embarrassing that people will read this as the first sentence of the review.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    LGR said that it took him 2 hours to build a house that he could build on the PC in 5 minutes simply because thumbsticks are way too sensitive and there's no way to tweak their sensitivity in the settings :/
    edited November 2017
    @mirta000 wrote: »
    LGR said that it took him 2 hours to build a house that he could build on the PC in 5 minutes simply because thumbsticks are way too sensitive and there's no way to tweak their sensitivity in the settings :/

It's a mess. Like, some people on forums said it was actually decent if you're used to TS3 console controls, which I am, but these are HIDEOUS.

I only ordered after the initial 'early access' went live, and players started giving feedback. Most people said they were similar to TS3 but they are nothing like it, and probably only "tolerating it" because it's been a 3 and 1/4 year wait vs less than 12 months.

I prefer playing on my console just because I'm sick of my laptop getting hot because I'm in the middle of nowhere in Australia NSW, and it gets really hot here. Even with a cooling mat it gets way to hot, and I can't afford to replace it with another 2k laptop, but I can afford a $400 console.
    Console's just seem to have better cooling management, and better warranty service.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    Oh my. You know it's bad when jackjack_K says something bad about The Sims 4... well... at least it is the console version. :tongue:
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    @DeKay wrote: »
    Oh my. You know it's bad when jackjack_K says something bad about The Sims 4... well... at least it is the console version. :tongue:

Haha, believe it or not, I do have issues that I voice about the game, but it gets overlooked on what I defend about the game.

The Sims 4's biggest issue is its bugs, the gameplay has been superb. But both Cats & Dogs and this console version shipped with way to many bugs that just show there was little to no testing was done prior.

Rewind 2 years ago, and I remember stating how Get Together's release was one of the smoothest in Sims history. There was one or two minor bugs and that's it.

And they publicly delayed that game. Says to me they should delay games more often. They would have still made it in time for Xmas with a December release.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I saw this coming. Sims 4 is a PC game. Not an FPS or an MMORPG or trucking, but drag and drop. A lot of people have most of their fun in Build Mode. Others have all their fun in CAS mode.

And if the controls for them don't work out, then the game won't work out.

It's not a bad game, honest. But it's bad controls and a bad port. If you can't drag and drop in Sims 4, what can you do?
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    @Loanet wrote: »
    I saw this coming. Sims 4 is a PC game. Not an FPS or an MMORPG or trucking, but drag and drop. A lot of people have most of their fun in Build Mode. Others have all their fun in CAS mode.

It's not a bad game, honest. But it's bad controls and a bad port. If you can't drag and drop in Sims 4, what can you do?

And yet, the Sims 3 console games had state of the art controls (on Xbox and PlayStation).
    They were so complex, but logical and easy to use.

It's why they got such good reviews, even though selling points like Open World weren't included.
    Also, I rely on mobile data and I've gone over my limit for the month, and will now probably have to spend $20 downloading a second patch just to play this game.

For those who bought on disc because they don't have internet, they won't be able to play.

It's really gross.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Loanet wrote: »

The Sims 2 controls on consoles were not tragic, The Sims 3 controls on consoles were pretty alright. There's nothing wrong with Sims on a console, but they COMPLETELY failed with the controls here and wanting to keep the console versions different from the PC they enforced no keyboard and mouse on console and no gamepad on PC, making the issue of bad controls that much worse.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    The controls seem very counter intuitive. It’s great that they want to port the PC game to console in it’s entirety - like really that is a major leap. Unfortunately a control setup designed for a keyboard and mouse doesnt translate over very well to a controller.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited November 2017
    The controls seem very counter intuitive. It’s great that they want to port the PC game to console in it’s entirety - like really that is a major leap. Unfortunately a control setup designed for a keyboard and mouse doesnt translate over very well to a controller.

And the worst part about that is that they didn't even build in full keyboard and mouse support for the console release. According to LGR's review, the keyboard only works for inputting things like sim and place names (probably the cheat console too). With keyboard and mouse support being something that can be added to console games, keyboard and mouse accessories for game consoles having been available for decades, and modern game consoles having USB ports that can support a standard keyboard and mouse...well, a keyboard and mouse compatible port of a PC game that relies heavily on mouse inputs should have been a no-brainer.

I was really hoping that the console port of the game would turn out well, since it's the first time ever that console gamers have gotten a full port of a Sims game. I can't express my condolences enough to everyone who bought the game full price and now has to put up with the poorly optimized controls and a bugged save system. Two disastrous game launches in one holiday season (TS4 console port and Star Wars Battlefront II)...I hope they learn their lesson soon.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • TheOnlyEternityTheOnlyEternity Posts: 1 New Member
    I honestly have no problem building with the Xbox controls. It’s very simple - I was frustrated at first, but now I place something and then edit it.

What I cannot stand is the fact that I have no idea what time it is because the clock is impossibly small. The option to choose a size for the clock (bc I am farsighted, I don’t need it to be massive - just bigger). I would like a separate ability to make the in game blurbs bigger - after awhile I won’t want them to be as big bc I will remember what they say. I have SIMS 4 on my laptop, but I feel it’s more of a “desk” game than a couch game so I haven’t played much.

To me this feels like they took 4 and didn’t change anything except what you use to input.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Even Clint complained/addressed about wonky/awkward controls:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynqMRi5n5IY
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • MalacathMalacath Posts: 40 Member

Actually games designed to work on mouse and keyboard can translate over well to consoles. I can think of quite a few game where the devs have done a good job with the controls.

• boykinater18boykinater18 Posts: 237 Member
    edited November 2017
    Yea if I could get my money back for the game and bundles, I would. I’m not even that mad at the controls. Yes, I agree it takes hours vs 5 mins on the pc to build a home, but the bugs this game has are ridiculous. There’s more bugs in this version than I’ve ever experienced with the pc version. It’s sad and they really should be putting more time into testing the final product. Especially for the price, definitely won’t be buying anything else for the console version. I feel ripped off.
  • notmothergothelnotmothergothel Posts: 42 Member
    We have the PS4 version and it is quite glitchy. My boyfriend has been playing it for a couple hours now and at the moment, waiting for coffee to brew, is stuck in his que. Right as he was telling me how much he liked the multitasking feature, it acts up. This is his first time playing the Sims 4 ever and I was so excited to get him playing. He is not a pc gamer, he prefers the console games. It's a good thing I am an experienced player so I can explain to him what and why certain things are glitching. I half expected the console version to be somewhat of a fixed version.

Also, it took a little time, and sometimes we press the wrong button. But, we pretty much have the controls down.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    So far, the Xbox One version of The Sims 4 has worse reviews than the PC game, and a 2.2/10 user score, with the PS4 version also having a 69/100 review score, with a 4.2/10 User Score!

Why?

EA shipped a game where you can't even save majority of the time, text can't be read unless you have a huge TV, and the UI and controls are so hideous that critics can't even play the game.

They've literally damaged the reputation they spent 2+ years trying to rebuild, the base game should have better scores now because we've had all these great updates. But unlike The Sims 3 console games, which ported The Sims 3 amazingly with console controls, EA decided to spent next to money and will now probably lose potentially customers over this.

PLEASE EA, START TESTING YOUR PRODUCTS BEFORE THEY HIT THE SHELF!!!

The fact we can't even save the game on Day 1, is absolutely terrible.

I have a game that I cannot use. And I spent money on the bundle as well. And so far, we haven't even had a fix.
    And because it's digital, I can't even make a joke about using it as a paperweight!

It's a joke.

We just got a patch for saves.
  • BombSpyBluesBombSpyBlues Posts: 3 New Member
    Here's to hoping that the main points will be addressed in future patches, and will become the developer's top priority:
    1) Cursor sensitivity and acceleration toggle for game pad
    2) Keyboard and Mouse support for console (must have)
    3) Resolution options for UI

Some wishlist things I would like to see is Xbox One X and PS4 Pro enhancement options this year, such as 4K and framerate bumps, as well as draw and zoom distance. But, that isn't the quality of life we desperately need from this title. The game is still amazing and I'm so excited to finally play it after waiting for years.
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member

And the worst part about that is that they didn't even build in full keyboard and mouse support for the console release. According to LGR's review, the keyboard only works for inputting things like sim and place names (probably the cheat console too). With keyboard and mouse support being something that can be added to console games, keyboard and mouse accessories for game consoles having been available for decades, and modern game consoles having USB ports that can support a standard keyboard and mouse...well, a keyboard and mouse compatible port of a PC game that relies heavily on mouse inputs should have been a no-brainer.

I was really hoping that the console port of the game would turn out well, since it's the first time ever that console gamers have gotten a full port of a Sims game. I can't express my condolences enough to everyone who bought the game full price and now has to put up with the poorly optimized controls and a bugged save system. Two disastrous game launches in one holiday season (TS4 console port and Star Wars Battlefront II)...I hope they learn their lesson soon.

I'm not gonna lie i did look into getting a refund but couldnt as i had earned a trophie already. Psn wont let you request a refund if you have gained trophies.
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Here's to hoping that the main points will be addressed in future patches, and will become the developer's top priority:
    1) Cursor sensitivity and acceleration toggle for game pad
    2) Keyboard and Mouse support for console (must have)
    3) Resolution options for UI

Some wishlist things I would like to see is Xbox One X and PS4 Pro enhancement options this year, such as 4K and framerate bumps, as well as draw and zoom distance. But, that isn't the quality of life we desperately need from this title. The game is still amazing and I'm so excited to finally play it after waiting for years.

Completly agree with you on This especially the pro and x enhanced options.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    How do you build without the keyboard and mouse?
    Can you share stuff you created?

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    edited December 2017
    marcel21 wrote: »
    How do you build without the keyboard and mouse?
    Can you share stuff you created?

With great difficulty.
    And no.
    wJbomAo.png
  • K4siesK4sies Posts: 267 Member
    I got the PS4 version. Preordered. Was hyped. Was.
    Seriously. I had the very pleasure to play the game some days before some other people - but cmon. I started the game, tried to make a sim and failed so hard because I wasn't prepared for the controls. Needless to say - I gave up and TS4 is now on my PS4 wasting precious GB space.
    I actually bought it because I don't have a laptop. I have a gaming desktop PC that handles every game I want to play just fine - the problem however with this is I cant take the computer with me to my fiance's house. I however am able to carry my console or even play on his pro just fine. I really want to love the console version as much as I love the PC version. I know that the game altogether does have pretty big flaws but I can overlook that. I truly can - however not with the console version. I'm disappointed.

That's my two cents on that.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited December 2017
    Loanet wrote: »

I agree it is not an bad game, for me the controller is not an good option because it is not as precise as the mouse. It is either you go too far or you go less with the controller. I got Sims 4 for the console because sometimes I do not feel like powering up my system and just play on my console.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    How do you use the controls I am put off making an entire family in CAS because I can't figure out how to use them.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641