Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which Expansion Pack Was Most Worth The $40 Price?

ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
I am curious if you feel any expansion pack was worth the $40 price tag. I keep hearing about Cats & Dogs still being on sale for $20. Also I’ve seen numerous reviews of people saying the game really is only worth $20 and if it were $20 originally then they could recommend it. Every other Expansion has been on sale for 60% off for a while now.

So honestly, I’ve felt this way about quite a few expansions now. I have never paid full price for one. So do any of you who have paid full price feel like you got your money’s worth? Or if you waited for a sale or discount is it because you didn’t feel like it was worth the full price?

Which Expansion Pack Was Most Worth The $40 Price? 127 votes

Get To Work
14%
Writin_RegMorten8035SavorySagebeckyZOOMdrake_mccartyalanmichael1PegasysLadyKynfullspiralInternal_ChaoslyraHorrorgirl6PrincessVeePancakesandwichAshtontoAshton22Jordan061102EnderGamer87D20 18 votes
Get Together
15%
cameronw209aelias24alex_alex09TerradoogerielittlemissgogoWoahbro1ChadSims2estella_deeHalloMollisillyangel0906EnkiSchmidtanonmysteryAmistri2016YardenroCupidVromanceFalyniosagustdparadiseplanet 20 votes
City Living
3%
Chanty25LadyLlamacornPlumbobGrandmaallieb028Evilyn_1007 5 votes
Cats & Dogs
11%
Vibsesimgirl1010alexandreaHelkkulisdhoeyFrancl27LewanaM00nboykinater18Vines12LiELFcrazycat_135GiorgiSimReviewssimsiloveuhorseypotato 15 votes
None of them are worth $40.
54%
ehaught58SimsprocfunBluefairy286pepperjax1230Cabelle1863missmani09GruffmanCrmelsimloverimhappyRukola_SchaafEvil_Onechrstal27elanorbretonGoldenBuffyCynnafriendlysimmersBagoas77link4566NinoosimHayliaPaul 69 votes

Comments

• LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited November 2017
    Get To Work
    As mentioned, it personally varies person to person what's of 'value' in their eyes. I mean, I'll never knock a price on any video game that's cut in half whether I think the price was worth it or not previously. I'm all about saving money. Who doesn't like saving?

I paid full price for Get to Work, but every other game I caught on sale. (Not because I was waiting just was lucky enough to catch the sale.)

Don't regret buying Get to Work for full price. I use a lot of items from the pack and I enjoy being able to make retail lots again. Something I missed from the Sims 2 dearly. So I definitely got a lot of use out of it.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Get Together
    I got the first three as gifts and will get the fourth this way, too.

Of those four the giver bought GT before I could warn her to please wait for a sale. For CL we waited for a sale and will do so again for C&D.
    The only exception is GT and it's also the only one I would have bought myself and full price. GT's world and game mechanics mesh so well with my playstyle that I consider the money well spent.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited November 2017
    Get Together
    I thought GT was especially worth the price because apart from being a well done pack on its own, it stretches the value of most of the other packs via the club system.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • FalyniosFalynios Posts: 298 Member
    Get Together
    I thought GT was especially worth the price because apart from being a well done pack on its own, it stretches the value of most of the other packs via the club system.

Yep. Same thoughts here. GT really does increase the mileage of the other packs if you're able to get creative with the clubs. This, combined with the fact that it's probably the least buggy pack they've come up with, make it the only one I'd say is worth the price tag.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Falynios wrote: »

Yep. Same thoughts here. GT really does increase the mileage of the other packs if you're able to get creative with the clubs. This, combined with the fact that it's probably the least buggy pack they've come up with, make it the only one I'd say is worth the price tag.

I still have an issue in Get Together where if I had a leader of a club age up and no longer fills the age requirement of that club, he is removed and then the club has no leader at all. So I have quite a few clubs with no leader. I also have clubs where all the members have died and for some bizarre reason, the club hasn't deleted itself.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    $40 is a steep price for the expansion packs in The Sims 4, IMHO.

I got C&D for $20, and I think that really convinced me its the highest any expansion pack should be with TS4.
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited November 2017
    Get To Work
    Chazzzy wrote: »

I still have an issue in Get Together where if I had a leader of a club age up and no longer fills the age requirement of that club, he is removed and then the club has no leader at all. So I have quite a few clubs with no leader. I also have clubs where all the members have died and for some bizarre reason, the club hasn't deleted itself.

I thought that the game automatically assigns another leader, although it might end up being a non-played sim. To get back control of the club, another sim would have to befriend the leader and then take control. At least that is what I've seen in my game.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Get Together
    Pegasys wrote: »

I thought that the game automatically assigns another leader, although it might end up being a non-played sim. To get back control of the club, another sim would have to befriend the leader and then take control. At least that is what I've seen in my game.

It picks a new leader as long as there are still sims left in the club. But sometimes the ex-leader doesn't seem to get cleared properly.
    To explain what I mean by that:
    Last month I've aged a batch of sims via cas.fulleditmode and got a couple of leaderless clubs that way. Fortunately they were open invite, so my sims could still join. When I did the "talk about club" interaction, they talked among themselves about how the former (now too old) leader was doing such wonderful work for the club. So I aged one of the former leaders back to their old age, put them into their old club and, bamm, they were recognized as leaders again. I thought it was related to me "cheating", but the problem seems to occur in normal gameplay, too.
    Pegasys wrote: »

It picks a new leader as long as there are still sims left in the club. But sometimes the ex-leader doesn't seem to get cleared properly.
    To explain what I mean by that:
    Last month I've aged a batch of sims via cas.fulleditmode and got a couple of leaderless clubs that way. Fortunately they were open invite, so my sims could still join. When I did the "talk about club" interaction, they talked among themselves about how the former (now too old) leader was doing such wonderful work for the club. So I aged one of the former leaders back to their old age, put them into their old club and, bamm, they were recognized as leaders again. I thought it was related to me "cheating", but the problem seems to occur in normal gameplay, too.

Yea I have to play a member of the club and do the Ask About Leader interaction. Then I get a notification popup with the current leader's name and it's someone who's not even in the club anymore. Then I can go to that person and convince them to step down. Way too many steps especially for something that's supposed to automatically adjust as soon as the leader leaves.
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    $40 is a steep price for the expansion packs in The Sims 4, IMHO.

I got C&D for $20, and I think that really convinced me its the highest any expansion pack should be with TS4.

Agreed
  • GenesizGenesiz Posts: 4 New Member
    Compared to Sims 3 expansion packs, which had the same price tag. None of them so far are worth that price. My impression of them at this point are that they are glorified game packs. The only expansion pack I paid for full price was City Living. I thought it was going to be similar to Sims 3's Late night (which was one of my favorites). I was wrong, definitely wasn't worth the $40. I liked it but I don't love it like I did with Late night. For the amount of content it came with, it just wasn't worth $40.

I didn't bother getting Cats & Dogs. I wasn't impressed with anything I've seen so far that warrants $40 from me. Also the fact that it takes a year to make an expansion pack for Sims 4 with less content than in the past, is disappointing. If it takes a year to make an expansion, I would think we would be getting more content than any of the previous Sim games. The only packs that hold my interest are the game packs.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    If I'm being honest... none of them are worth full price. It's hard to measure value with something like the sims, but overall, the expansions don't add enough content to fit $40, in my estimation. $30 would be about right, I think, if comparing it to a $60 base game release price (and being generous for the fact that DLC is usually priced a bit higher than it's worth, compared to the amount of content in full base game... just for games in general).
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Genesiz wrote: »
    Compared to Sims 3 expansion packs, which had the same price tag. None of them so far are worth that price. My impression of them at this point are that they are glorified game packs. The only expansion pack I paid for full price was City Living. I thought it was going to be similar to Sims 3's Late night (which was one of my favorites). I was wrong, definitely wasn't worth the $40. I liked it but I don't love it like I did with Late night. For the amount of content it came with, it just wasn't worth $40.

I didn't bother getting Cats & Dogs. I wasn't impressed with anything I've seen so far that warrants $40 from me. Also the fact that it takes a year to make an expansion pack for Sims 4 with less content than in the past, is disappointing. If it takes a year to make an expansion, I would think we would be getting more content than any of the previous Sim games. The only packs that hold my interest are the game packs.

Glorified game packs is right!

I don't measure what an EP adds by the quantity of its content, but by its quality, an EP should not only add a new concept to the game, but that concept should be carefully and fully fleshed out, so things like no-one aside from the players Sim doing anything in GTW, the festivals just being time locked default objects, the new worlds being very small, etc, means to me they're just not worth anywhere near their asking price.

All the EPs for TS4 are just a combination of a game pack and a stuff pack, they're not an expansion pack as they were in previous Sims games.
    raw
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Get To Work
    I chose GTW solely because it does include a lot of content. It’s a given that the main new thing (active careers) is super linear and doesn’t hold much replay value, but 3 active careers, a life state, and retail is more or less an actual expansion. Whereas I did not feel GT, CL, or C&D included enough stuff in general to meet the $40 price. I also don’t think any EP really fleshed out any idea that’s included, which is a total missed opportunity.

If GT had offered more in the form of gameplay, instead of relying on the base game for the new club system it could have been a pretty dope EP. However they chose to not add much gameplay and it was what it was. CL was an absolute disaster from the beginning, barely any content and nothing introduced in the pack is there for the player to manipulate, create, or control. C&D.. well it just doesn’t have enough for cats or dogs which is sad, but expected given their track record for consistently not delivering a solid EP experience.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    all of these are great and are worth owning
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    edited November 2017
    i paid for GTW 29€ & today i am still cursing because the shops work horribly, the restaurants work wonky (TS2 OFB just was that impressive :grimace: ), the 3 careers are either bugged, annoying or boring, their lots are out of the world, which is in fact far worse than TS3's rabbit holes, the aliens are super annoying & i am not even able to get rid of them in the options

i paid 20€ for GT & that was a good price for Windenburg & the clubs but the dancing is very disappointing because it's just a small hobby & the nightclubs currently totally bugged

i could buy today CL at the price of 16€ & i still think it's too much, because ... i am not able to build apartment houses, the neighbors seem to be just annoying, the festivals an opportunity for the game to spawn one fashion abhorance after another, the basketball is playable only with mods, the fashion in this pack is in general an eye sore, karaoke, does anybody use karaoke at all ? so i imagine, the only mildly good feature is the flea market - 16€ for a flea market, & more annoyances than useful gameplay features ? i don't think so

i would probably buy the C&D expansion now at the price of 16€, pets were never my prefered packs in any of the sims games, but C&D seem ok & there is a new nicely looking town, but since it's the newest expansion so i won't get it now at that price, so ...

Post edited by Rukola_Schaaf on
    i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • NikNakNikNak Posts: 302 Member
    None of them are worth $40. I'm honestly surprised to see that the majority agrees with that.
    NikNak wrote: »
    None of them are worth $40. I'm honestly surprised to see that the majority agrees with that.

Ha I am pleasantly surprised as well. It seems we the people are fed up with the high price tag and the low quality.
  • NikNakNikNak Posts: 302 Member
    edited November 2017
    Yeah, it actually restored my faith in the community a little bit. :)
  • bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    All packs for TS4 should be half the price they are now. Specially EPs and SPs. It's ridiculous when you think about SPs in particular because there are now almost $100 worth of SP and what do they bring to your game? A bunch of furniture and CAS items plus a few gameplay objects. At least for me, that is not worth it because I value gameplay above everything else, so I couldn't care less about all that furniture that I will probably never use. EPs and GPs already offer that so I honestly don't see why we need yet another pack to stuff our buy mode even further. The only reason I buy SPs is because they have gameplay objects that I want, which is annoying because I'm essentially paying $10 for one or two objects (or I would be, if I actually bought it at that price, which I don't).

Some EPs may seem like they offer a ton of content (like GTW) but then it lacks in quality. Others may have good quality but lack in quantity, so it seems we can never get both, which is why EPs should be $20 in my book and that's all I am willing to pay for them.
  • ElleysimsElleysims Posts: 133 Member
    > @NikNak said:
    > None of them are worth $40. I'm honestly surprised to see that the majority agrees with that.

I was just thinking how expensive a hobby sims is a couple days ago and I always wait for a sale to buy. I thought that wasn't a very popular opinion though.

I was thinking of how much time I actually put into sims vs how much money I spend on it. I feel like if I just had the base game with one pack, I wouldn't play it for over a week until waiting for another expansion. I remember when the game first came out, I only played it for like 3 days before giving up at lack of things to do. Value is different for everyone but if something is priced at 40, I expect it to keep my interest for a week. I can get a content finished games for 60-80 that keeps my interest for at least a month so if something is 40, a week isn't to crazy. Not to mention, there are less bugs in those games.

I'm glad lots of people agree. Would it make a difference to EA if a lot of people bought on sale only though?
  • PlumbobGrandmaPlumbobGrandma Posts: 438 Member
    City Living
    I think that City Living was worth it. I mean, you kind of had that open world experience again just like TS3 which TS4 lacks. Plus, apartments and the festivals were pretty cool and I loved the integration of different cultures and everything.

I just really miss the Sims 3 and it's open world so City Living was the best bet for me.

❀ нєℓℓσ ι'м ρℓυмвσвgяαη∂мα! ❀
  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    i could buy today CL at the price of 16€ & i still think it's too much, because ... i am not able to build apartment houses, the neighbors seem to be just annoying, the festivals an opportunity for the game to spawn one fashion abhorance after another, the basketball is playable only with mods, the fashion in this pack is in general an eye sore, karaoke, does anybody use karaoke at all ? so i imagine, the only mildly good feature is the flea market - 16€ for a flea market, & more annoyances than useful gameplay features ? i don't think so

My favorite part of City Living is the keys. I loved how you could give sims keys to your apartment and they would come by (quite often) and just let themselves in and hang out for a while. It was so great to have grandparents, aunts, uncles, a few close family friends just come on over and come on in. I loved it.

Then came the disappointment that it only applies to apartments. So not only can it not be used in any other neighborhoods, the "feature" can't be used in houses that are owned in the city ....

City Living ... the pack that has the most potential that just falls flat.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I never pay full price for the expansion packs either. In my opinion, $40 is fine for a full game...but add-ons for over $30 is just highway robbery...especially when they're all being digitally distributed, with boxed copies in your region consisting of nothing but a piece of paper with a code on it stuffed in a DVD case. That's some trifling mess right there. A borderline scam, if you ask me...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    None of are worth 40 dollars.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641