Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will my laptop be able to run sims 4?

Christopher69BChristopher69B Posts: 159 Member
edited November 2017 in PC - Technical Discussions
Does anyone know if my laptop will be able to run sims 4 if I decide to purchase it at a later date, I’m unsure at the moment If I want to get it my computer specs are.

CPU: intel Core i5 7300HQ 2.50Ghz- 3.50Ghz
Graphics card: Nivida GeForce GTX 1050 4GB Vram.
Ram 8GB
Windows 10 64 bit.
256GB SSD

I’m unsure what the recommended specs are to run sims 4 so I decided to ask here if my laptop would be able to run it if I buy it at a later date.

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Yes but since your also running the sims 3 you may have issues with having a smaller hard drive putting too many games on that hard drive .
  • Options
    Yes but since your also running the sims 3 you may have issues with having a smaller hard drive putting too many games on that hard drive .

My sims 3 is only using up 31GB at the moment, I plan on getting sims 4 when or if seasons expansion pack gets released for it.
  • Options

My sims 3 is only using up 31GB at the moment, I plan on getting sims 4 when or if seasons expansion pack gets released for it.

That 256 gb will get used up quickly if your not careful and you have to leave 50 gb free space while gaming the sims 3 . The game also uses vertual memory
  • Options

That 256 gb will get used up quickly if your not careful and you have to leave 50 gb free space while gaming the sims 3 . The game also uses vertual memory

I mostly play sims 3 on my laptop anyway, I plan on getting another hard drive and moving my other games onto that when im not playing them and moving them back to my ssd when I play them. I play my sims 3 in Alpine County on max settings and it runs perfectly fine with no lagging.
  • Options

I mostly play sims 3 on my laptop anyway, I plan on getting another hard drive and moving my other games onto that when im not playing them and moving them back to my ssd when I play them. I play my sims 3 in Alpine County on max settings and it runs perfectly fine with no lagging.

I know a few people mentioned to you Alpine country will eventually become problem to your computer once game saves get larger. As saves get bigger the game becomes more of an issue.

It's not good to run 3d games on an external hard drive. They wont run the way they should
  • Options

I know a few people mentioned to you Alpine country will eventually become problem to your computer once game saves get larger. As saves get bigger the game becomes more of an issue.

It's not good to run 3d games on an external hard drive. They wont run the way they should

It’s thats happens I’ll probably start a new game every now and again, I also only plan on storing the games on a external hard drive that im not playing but once I wanna play them I can move them back to my main SSD which I know can be done on steam.
  • Options

It’s thats happens I’ll probably start a new game every now and again, I also only plan on storing the games on a external hard drive that im not playing but once I wanna play them I can move them back to my main SSD which I know can be done on steam.

You can store the sims 4 or sims 3 files from documents on an external for safe keeping , That will keep all your downloads and saves safe but you would have to uninstall and reinstall the games to make room on your hard drive every time you want to play a game
  • Options

You can store the sims 4 or sims 3 files from documents on an external for safe keeping , That will keep all your downloads and saves safe but you would have to uninstall and reinstall the games to make room on your hard drive every time you want to play a game

Im probably going to keep a backup of my game saves on a external hard drive, I also save my game after every sim Day now, cause a while ago I got a save error 12 I’m not quite sure what causes this. But since saving frequently this Hasnt happened.
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    The 256Gb ssd will probably give you trouble (more sooner then later). The Windows operating system bloats - it what it does. Why would you get a limited ssd when I'm seeing 480Gb ssd for $130 usd. At least 480Gb may give you a chance and not having to worry every day about free space. The Sims 3 (as well as TS4) seems to be a delicate game and moving files (folders) around has a tendency of introducing corruption. If you came to me and you wanted me to build that system I'd send you down the street.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member

Is that your documents->sims 3 folder AND game installation? Cause just my documents -> sims 3 folder is 42GB, that doesnt count the installation of the game. 256gb is not going to be large enough. Maybe if you have nothing but windows and sims 3.does your laptop not having a larger secondary drive, like a D drive? Pheobebe is right, you need to leave at least 50gb free for things to operate.
  • Options
    SimsloverxXSimsloverxX Posts: 11 New Member
    yeah but can i just say that when i first got sims 4 my game was so slow and laggy af not to mention the amount of times it's crashed. I mean, i cant even play the game for an hour straight without it crashing.
  • Options
    SimsloverxXSimsloverxX Posts: 11 New Member
    plus* ^^
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Im probably going to keep a backup of my game saves on a external hard drive, I also save my game after every sim Day now, cause a while ago I got a save error 12 I’m not quite sure what causes this. But since saving frequently this Hasnt happened.

Error code 12 is the game running out of memory to save. Go in your sims 3 folder in documents, click on saves. If you have any saves with "Bad" on the end of them , you need to delete those bad saves.

Your probably getting the error code 12 because of that custom world you are playing. People advised you that world is too large for the game to handle. I would find a different world to play.

Also use save as instead of save option. Save as gives you a new clean save and will not overwrite the old save. Also using save as permits you to go back to a previous save should something go wrong in the game. If you use just save ,it overwrites the previous save . If the file goes bad you will loose that whole game save. If you use save as, the game will ask you to rename your file. Example, your playing Moonlight falls. Each time I play my game and do a new save I add numbers. Moonlight Falls 1, 2 3 etc.

It's a good idea to save every sim day or more than that. If your in build mode you need to save allot more. I usually build in a new world Im not playing. I build my lots there and then save the lots in library to add to the game I'm playing
  • Options

Error code 12 is the game running out of memory to save. Go in your sims 3 folder in documents, click on saves. If you have any saves with "Bad" on the end of them , you need to delete those bad saves.

Your probably getting the error code 12 because of that custom world you are playing. People advised you that world is too large for the game to handle. I would find a different world to play.

Also use save as instead of save option. Save as gives you a new clean save and will not overwrite the old save. Also using save as permits you to go back to a previous save should something go wrong in the game. If you use just save ,it overwrites the previous save . If the file goes bad you will loose that whole game save. If you use save as, the game will ask you to rename your file. Example, your playing Moonlight falls. Each time I play my game and do a new save I add numbers. Moonlight Falls 1, 2 3 etc.

It's a good idea to save every sim day or more than that. If your in build mode you need to save allot more. I usually build in a new world Im not playing. I build my lots there and then save the lots in library to add to the game I'm playing

I’ve not had error 12 since saving after every sim day, im also going start saving as instead of save and it over writting my current save file.
  • Options
    yeah but can i just say that when i first got sims 4 my game was so slow and laggy plum not to mention the amount of times it's crashed. I mean, i cant even play the game for an hour straight without it crashing.

My sims 3 game still crashes now and again but it’s very rare it will crash and I have a gaming laptop so I know it’s not my computer, if I can run sims 3 on max settings im pretty sure sims 4 will be alright when I purchase it at a later date.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    DivieOwl wrote: »

Is that your documents->sims 3 folder AND game installation? Cause just my documents -> sims 3 folder is 42GB, that doesnt count the installation of the game. 256gb is not going to be large enough. Maybe if you have nothing but windows and sims 3.does your laptop not having a larger secondary drive, like a D drive? Pheobebe is right, you need to leave at least 50gb free for things to operate.

They don't have a second hard drive. I play the sims 3 on a 256 gb ssd but I also have a 1tb extra hard drive. I have no issues just running the sims 3 on it with windows. I also don't have windows 10.

They are making allot of gaming laptops cheaper by putting one 256 gb ssd in them . I had warned Op that would not be enough if they want to play more than one game on their computer. Especially having windows 10 installed on that one ssd
  • Options
    bob007 wrote: »
    The 256Gb ssd will probably give you trouble (more sooner then later). The Windows operating system bloats - it what it does. Why would you get a limited ssd when I'm seeing 480Gb ssd for $130 usd. At least 480Gb may give you a chance and not having to worry every day about free space. The Sims 3 (as well as TS4) seems to be a delicate game and moving files (folders) around has a tendency of introducing corruption. If you came to me and you wanted me to build that system I'd send you down the street.

They have a gaming laptop. They are making cheaper gaming laptops and only putting one 256 gb ssd in them :/ It's rare to find a gaming laptop with a 500 gb ssd unless you go custom or the laptop is more expensive and has two hard drives with one hard drive being a large enough SSD to game on.
  • Options
    yeah but can i just say that when i first got sims 4 my game was so slow and laggy plum not to mention the amount of times it's crashed. I mean, i cant even play the game for an hour straight without it crashing.

@rosemow can you please post DxDiag instructions for simslover. Thanks
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member

@rosemow can you please post DxDiag instructions for simslover. Thanks

Hello @SimsloverxX
    Could you please post your DxDiag info here.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
    Then copy and paste the information from where you saved it, to pastebin https://pastebin.com
    and post the link to the file here

You will need to break up the pastebin link though by putting h.t.t.p. instead of http , because you are unable to post links because you are a new member.

• Options

I’ve not had error 12 since saving after every sim day, im also going start saving as instead of save and it over writting my current save file.

That custom world your playing is going to be a problem down the line no matter what. It is too large for the game. The game gets more demanding as your saves get larger . Eventually you will have to move out of that custom world
  • Options

That custom world your playing is going to be a problem down the line no matter what. It is too large for the game. The game gets more demanding as your saves get larger . Eventually you will have to move out of that custom world

If that’s the case I’ll probably end up moving out of it if it causes a problem in the near future. And save any custom community lots that I built on that world.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

If that’s the case I’ll probably end up moving out of it if it causes a problem in the near future. And save any custom community lots that I built on that world.

If you want to play a fairly large world that is EA made, Monte Vista and Lucky Palms are probably the two largest in the sims 3 store. Lucky palms has enough larger free lots to add community lots. I own Monte Vista but I have not played it

You can also post in TS3 Gen Discussions and ask about other worlds if your looking for something specific . That section of the forum would know more about some good custom worlds
  • Options

If you want to play a fairly large world that is EA made, Monte Vista and Lucky Palms are probably the two largest in the sims 3 store. Lucky palms has enough larger free lots to add community lots. I own Monte Vista but I have not played it

I don’t own any of them worlds the only ones I’ve brought from the sims 3 store was roaring heights, which was the world I previously played in.
  • Options

I don’t own any of them worlds the only ones I’ve brought from the sims 3 store was roaring heights, which was the world I previously played in.

roaring heights is my favorite store world. I edited my post so you may not have seen part of it. Go into TS3 Gen Discussions. Many people in there would know more about some good custom worlds if your looking for something specific that EA does not have in their store.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    DivieOwl wrote: »

My installation folder is showing as 31.GB is being used as shown from the screenshot bellow. In my documents it’s using up 5GB which in total only comes up to 36GB.

[img][/img]11tub0k.jpg

2h52mme.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top