Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Extreme memory leak in San Myshuno?

I have been playing this game for a couple of years now, but I recently started my first story line in San Myshuno. For some reason, living in San Myshuno causes an extreme memory leak that I haven't seen on my computer before. As soon as I move a sim in, and have them enter their apartment, it starts to go up pretty fast. I've tested a couple of things with Task Manager's process tab open to be able to shut it down before my computer freezes. I've removed all my mods (I don't have any CC) and made a fresh save to rule out either mod issues or corrupted saves, but no matter what I try I can't play it properly. I have the game up to the latest patch and own all packs. Does anyone know what causes this and/or what I can do to fix it? All help is much appreciated!

Comments

• NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    Hi,

TS4 game update 1.36.99.1020 introduced a new feature called Maximum Sim Count. Adjusting this setting may help - for more information on what it does please refer to the following page:
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • AlHollandiyahAlHollandiyah Posts: 1,121 Member
    edited November 2017
    I dont think that is the issue. It happens within 5 minutes of my sim entering an apartment. And as I always delete all premade sims, the save would have only my household, the landlord and a handfull of random walkbys at that point. Also my setting is currently on 80 (lowest) AND it does not seem to happen when I move in to another neighbourhood.

I have deleted the content of my sims 4 folder to have the game fill it up with fresh files, and will do some more testing on that tomorrow. I really hope to find the cause and a fix because I want to play with apartments.

Edit: When I am in the world bulldozing lots the game is usually on around 1.8 to 2 G of RAM. When I play sims it would go to 2.5 or something like that. When I get a memory leak it keeps climbing and climbing untill it passes 5 or even 6 and strains my 8G computer. By that time I am no longer able to play, save or close it normally. So I'm testing it with taskmanager on screen to see what it does before my laptop freezes completely.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    Post your dxdiag:
    https://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Also, could you post exactly which lot/apartment is causing this? Maybe I can check it in game.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    edited November 2017
    DxDiag here, apartment is 17 Culpepper House. I was planning to move my sims from the cheapest up to the most expensive untill I've lived in all apartments, but I haven't gotten past this one yet.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    DxDiag here, apartment is 17 Culpepper House. I was planning to move my sims from the cheapest up to the most expensive untill I've lived in all apartments, but I haven't gotten past this one yet.

You have not updated your drivers since 2012. Go to the Hp web, search your make and model laptop and update all your drivers. This game requires updated drivers. The AMD 7670m is not the best card to be gaming on for this game . It's also older and average lifespan of a laptop is 3-5 years. Your memory leak could have something to do with your hardware, not the game
    edited November 2017
    You have not updated your drivers since 2012. Go to the Hp web, search your make and model laptop and update all your drivers. This game requires updated drivers. The AMD 7670m is not the best card to be gaming on for this game . It's also older and average lifespan of a laptop is 3-5 years. Your memory leak could have something to do with your hardware, not the game

I have tried updating my video card drivers multiple time, but that resulted in a loss of aero on my desktop and some other issues, forcing me to return to the older versions each and every time. This laptop is only 1 or 2 years old, and I bought it new, so there is no way I could have updated them between 2012 and 2016. Also, why would an issue with (old) drivers show up in a San Myshuno apartment and not in a regular lot? That doesn't make sence.

I have just tested a fresh game folder, having my sim talk to the mirror for a while, and it ran to 4G within 5 minutes. As soon as I was back in the world it stopped where it was at, around 4.3G. I counted the amount of walkbys that the game had generated by then and it was only 47, so far below the 80 limit.

vf1raME.png
    kotN7Vi.png

I have tried updating my video card drivers multiple time, but that resulted in a loss of aero on my desktop and some other issues, forcing me to return to the older versions each and every time. Also, why would an issue with (old) drivers show up in a San Myshuno apartment and not in a regular lot? That doesn't make sence.

I have just tested a fresh game folder, having my sim talk to the mirror for a while, and it ran to 4G within 5 minutes. As soon as I was back in the world it stopped where it was at, around 4.3G.

vf1raME.png
    kotN7Vi.png

You have a laptop not a desktop. Your laptop drivers should be updated on the HP web. They issue specific drivers for laptop hardware. AMD and Nvidia direct drivers are for desktop only. Some desktop drivers might not be compatible with laptops. Laptop and desktop hardware are different. Laptop hardware is also weaker than desktop hardware

@chesterbigbird is a computer build expert and maybe able to tell you what might be causing your memory leak should it not be the game.
    You have a laptop not a desktop. Your laptop drivers should be updated on the HP web. They issue specific drivers for laptop hardware. AMD and Nvidia direct drivers are for desktop only. Some desktop drivers might not be compatible with laptops. Laptop and desktop hardware are different. Laptop hardware is also weaker than desktop hardware

@chesterbigbird is a computer build expert and maybe able to tell you what might be causing your memory leak should it not be the game.

I used the upgrades that were noted for my specific model of laptop, but still they caused issues making me have to revert to the old drivers. I tried twice, with months in between, and both times I had to go back. I am not sure if upgrading now will not cause the same issues, so I'm very much in doubt. Also, if this is hardware specific, then I'd still like to know why San Myshuno is the place that causes it and other parts of the game seem not to?
    Update: I checked the HP site for updated drivers for my laptop, and it pointed me to HP Support Assistant. That didn't find any driver updates (just a couple of not so useful HP software updates). Then I searched the page for available driver downloads, and the newest video graphics driver listed for my model was from 2012. That leads me to believe that there is no newer one fully compatible with my laptop to upgrade to, which explains why I was having trouble with the other driver updates. So there is really nothing I seem to be able to do about that part. Anything else I can check? Still wondering what causes an apartment to have so much more lag then a normal lot though.

I used the upgrades that were noted for my specific model of laptop, but still they caused issues making me have to revert to the old drivers. I tried twice, with months in between, and both times I had to go back. I am not sure if upgrading now will not cause the same issues, so I'm very much in doubt. Also, if this is hardware specific, then I'd still like to know why San Myshuno is the place that causes it and other parts of the game seem not to?

This game requires updated drivers. Don't know if that is part of your issue. Your hardware is also older. It could be a combo of the game, your older hardware, having drivers from 2012 etc. People do have issues with San Myshino however I have not seen people complain of memory leaks . @Delay said they would test it for you. @chesterbigbird will be on the forum later and may have other suggestions for you
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    You are not incorrect about a memory leak. TS4 does have a memory leak but people with super gaming machines may not notice as much as someone on a midgrade machine etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    Yes, I do notice that The Sims 4 takes a lot of memory from now on...
  • EthyrdudeEthyrdude Posts: 268 Member
    If you go to this page you should be able to get new drivers for your video card at least, make sure you pick notebook and not desktop.
    https://support.amd.com/en-us/download
    My better half has an HP laptop, older than yours and they still have drivers for her old video card.
    On a planet far, far away.
    Important, be aware that some manufacturers use their own proprietary drivers to allow their hardware to function with lower rated power supplies than normally recommended for their components. I had a computer that used a HD 5570 AMD card that would not function until I replaced the 300 W power supply with a 500 W power supply. This would not be an option in a laptop, I am certain, so check your video card's requirements and power supply specifications before changing drivers.
    Ethyrdude wrote: »
    If you go to this page you should be able to get new drivers for your video card at least, make sure you pick notebook and not desktop.
    https://support.amd.com/en-us/download
    My better half has an HP laptop, older than yours and they still have drivers for her old video card.

This is exactly the page where I tried to update twice, ending up with a newer driver that didn't support most of my settings, from aero to themes, reducing my windows 7 to something that looked like coming from a museum.
    Important, be aware that some manufacturers use their own proprietary drivers to allow their hardware to function with lower rated power supplies than normally recommended for their components. I had a computer that used a HD 5570 AMD card that would not function until I replaced the 300 W power supply with a 500 W power supply. This would not be an option in a laptop, I am certain, so check your video card's requirements and power supply specifications before changing drivers.

I am not really sure how to check this, where can I find those requirements and said info from the drivers?

edited November 2017
    First, let's address your original post, about the memory leaks, are you running this as a 64 bit or 32 bit game? You can check this on the origin page where your game is listed if you right click it and choose "game properties" and then select advanced game properties. This will show you a page with a selection to choose 32 or 64 bit - if its 32 then pick 64. this should take care of some of the memory leaks. If it's already set to 64 bits then I would try and at least update that video card driver.

I am sure the hp page would have specs on your laptop?

Edit: Sorry link is broken - try this one: https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c02845373

I don't see the specs for an i7, however, I do see your video card listed as a "Radeon" AMD card which would tell me that your video card should allow you to install the newest driver for a HD 7670M.

I don't think the problem is your video card itself, I think this may be your problem - Switchable Discrete Graphics and that means that:
    "Since this is a fast multimedia notebook, the integrated HD Graphics 4000 wouldn't offer enough performance. To that end, HP adds a dedicated middle-class graphics card - a Radeon HD 7670M. To ensure good battery life, the cards get switched dynamically. AMD's "Switchable Graphics" and their answer to Nvidia's Optimus technology is called Enduro." You can find more information here:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Pavilion-g7-2007sg-notebook.81410.0.html

It could very well mean that while your Radeon Card can have the latest driver, it may not actually be working. This will be something you will have to determine on your own, perhaps the switch can be turned off? I would think that there might be something in your laptop's bios that would disable using the Intel graphics?

This article seems to have information about that but comes with the warning that using your Radeon card exclusively may cause excess heating so take note.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/How-to-disable-Intel-HD-Graphics/m-p/416633
    @Ethyrdude to play C & D Ep you have to play the 64 bit version of the game. EA upped the computer specs for this EP
    @phoebebebe13, Ah yeah, I forgot. I also got to thinking later, if @AlHollandiyah is having an issue of where the Intel video card is running instead of the AMD card then this would cause more memory usage as well.
    @Ethyrdude That is true but I wonder if it is running on intel, if it was they may have an issue running the game altogether. I don't know how well if at all the game would run on an intel 4000 card. I know the game has issues with the intel 3000. It is a good idea for Op to double check which card the game is using. There is also that notice the game issues sometimes" cant run this video card" when drivers are not updated or the game can't run on the video card it is trying to use.
    @phoebebebe13 I concur, Op should check to see which card is being used. While googling I found a link How to set a default video card, the instructions show nVidia but in step 4 it also shows how to set up an AMD card.

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-components/how-set-default-graphics-card-3612668/
    @phoebebebe13 I concur, Op should check to see which card is being used. While googling I found a link How to set a default video card, the instructions show nVidia but in step 4 it also shows how to set up an AMD card.

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-components/how-set-default-graphics-card-3612668/

There is a thread here in tech on switchable graphics for this game. User crinrict's blog also has instructions for this game. They have t add the TS4.exe file to their control panel. I have Nvidia so I'm not sure how to set up amd but the thread in tech tells you how
    edited November 2017
    Did some more googling and apparently the sims 4 will play on a laptop using only an HD 4000, so perhaps there might even be an issue with the AMD card? Only by running catalyst would op know for sure if it's working or not. Apparently there is an indicator on the task bar that would show which card is working. Maybe make sure that is active on the task bar, run the game in windowed mode and see if the right card is running?

Edit: @phoebebebe13 :and yeah I see where you posted that info about the HD 4000 too. :)
  • NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    Hey AlHollandiyah, if still experiencing memory leak issues with the game you may leave a message with SimQARobo with a link to this thread:
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    The graphics card is listed as Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 and a manufacturer of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - I don't think AMD makes Intel graphics. The AMD may be showing because AMD makes the driver for switchable graphics possible. But I don't see any other graphics chip. Either this computer doesn't have another gpu in which case you don't need the AMD driver and treat the laptop like a desk top or determine what the gpu is and install drivers for it and use it as most anything is better then Intel integrated graphics. The problem is HP used the model HP Pavilion g7 for many different configuration (thank you very much again HP) so it is hard to know the hardware configuration of the laptop.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    bob007 wrote: »
    The graphics card is listed as Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 and a manufacturer of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - I don't think AMD makes Intel graphics. The AMD may be showing because AMD makes the driver for switchable graphics possible. But I don't see any other graphics chip. Either this computer doesn't have another gpu in which case you don't need the AMD driver and treat the laptop like a desk top or determine what the gpu is and install drivers for it and use it as most anything is better then Intel integrated graphics. The problem is HP used the model HP Pavilion g7 for many different configuration (thank you very much again HP) so it is hard to know the hardware configuration of the laptop.

I agree with this. I looked at OP's Dxdiag and didn't see any AMD in the display devices except for the manufacturer. I thought I'm missing something.

Either way, I'll test it on the lot to see if I have the same issue with the hogging on the RAM.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top