Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cannot Edit CurrentGame.sims3 Until Reboot

Why hello,

So recently whenever I load the game up for the first time in the day it works fine, but if I then quit and then load the game up again I can't load any worlds, saying there's a problem and I should restart the application.

In my documents I can't edit or delete CurrentGame.sims3, which stays put until I reboot. Once I reboot it's gone and I can load the worlds just fine.

Tried on a fresh install, no CC.

Any insight would be appreciated o:)
'Understanding is half the battle. Fireballs are the other half.'
- Acolyte Sousuke

'You can English in an English way all the way to the English'
'Whether it rains, whether it snows, Sims now have weather, whatever the weather whether they like it or not.'

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2017
    Hmm. Sounds like either the TS3 application is not really quitting all the way out in between game sessions and thus holding the CurrentGame folder hostage, or something is blocking the clearing out of the CurrentGame folder which is of course supposed to take place during the Quit procedure.

My first thought would be a file permissions issue but then you wouldn't be able to Save (or Save As) mid-session either as those functions overwrite the contents of CurrentGame with fresh data from RAM before copying them back down to the Saves folders. I take it that you can actually Save or Save As mid-session successfully.

I understand that you have recently reinstalled, but have you tried this on a fresh TS3 user game folder? If you pull the current one out to the Desktop or rename it, a new one should spawn to take its place on the next attempted startup.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • EniracYEniracY Posts: 1,008 Member
    Thanks for replying :smile:

I can Save and Save As just fine. Oddly I can't even pull the user folder out as it's 'being used by another application' but I can edit the folders within that folder except for the CurrentGame.sims3 which is still asking for permission beforehand.

I've tried setting the ownership of CurrentGame.sims3 to Everyone but it comes up with a 'Failed to enumerate objects in the container' error :confused:
    - Acolyte Sousuke

'Whether it rains, whether it snows, Sims now have weather, whatever the weather whether they like it or not.'
    edited November 2017
    Yes, if a program or process is holding the game folder or its contents hostage then you cannot rename or pull it out. What I meant was to try that after a fresh reboot since that seems to be unlocking things for you thus far. And if it's still being stubborn, try booting into Safe Mode and renaming or pulling it out.

Can we also just clarify, this TS3 game folder is in regular Documents and not somewhere in OneDrive, correct?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • EniracYEniracY Posts: 1,008 Member
    Correct, just sitting in Documents as usual. I've tried deleting it in Safe Mode but it is then regenerated the next time I load the game up and then I'm back at square one :/
    - Acolyte Sousuke

edited November 2017
    The only other times I've heard of game data files being locked up in between game sessions like that would be if some sort of security or anti-virus scan was consistently getting stuck on them or if you have parental control software in use and it's acting up. If those don't seem relevant, I think we've exhausted the possibilities here (unless someone comes along and recognizes the issue).

Perhaps a post on EA's Answers HQ board might kick up some other possible causes and suggestions?
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/bd-p/the-sims-3
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    Hi,

It sounds like one or more background tasks may be interfering with accessing game content. To help troubleshoot the cause, I would suggest performing a clean boot of your computer and then launching the game. For more details please refer to the following EA Support page:
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!