Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 graphics settings keep resetting

Does anyone know why my graphics settings for sims 3 keep resetting back to the default ones, this will happen sometimes when loading up the sims 3. I play with them on max since my computer can handle it, this is also happening on the general settings as well after I change them.

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited November 2017
    Game settings will reset if you update your video driver. Not sure if windows 10 updates could also cause this. I don't have windows 10. @igazor any clue? Thanks!
  • Christopher69BChristopher69B Posts: 159 Member
    Game settings will reset if you update your video driver. Not sure if windows 10 updates could also cause this. I don't have windows 10. @igazor any clue? Thanks!

Last time it happened im pretty sure I updated my drivers a few days before, at least I now know that updating them will reset them. Is it the same for every game?
    Anytime you update your nvidia drivers it will reset all the game settings in the launcher. There is no fix for this. I would just write down all your settings so this way you know where the settings should be when you have to fix them .
    Anytime you update your nvidia drivers it will reset all the game settings in the launcher. There is no fix for this. I would just write down all your settings so this way you know where the settings should be when you have to fix them .

I usually play sims 3 on max settings, so next time I update my driver I’ll know what my settings were. At least I now know that update drivers was causing it.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    One possible fix would be to keep a copy of the Options.ini file from the TS3 user game folder in Documents standing by elsewhere and insert a copy of that back into the game folder after such an update. That is, if the player knows that the drivers are being updated. Depending on the method used, sometimes these updates take players by surprise.

What I'm not sure about is if the game has to be launched at least once on the new drivers before it resets the options, so the question becomes is inserting the older Options.ini file effective right away or only after the player notices that the options have already been reset.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited November 2017
    I never tried but pulling your whole sims 3 folder from documents to desktop before updating the video driver may work to where the game settings don't reset . You can then just put the sims 3 folder back
    I never tried but pulling your whole sims 3 folder from documents to desktop before updating the video driver may work to where the game settings don't reset . You can then just put the sims 3 folder back

I might give this a try next time my nivida drivers need to update to see if it resets my settings back to default ones.

I might give this a try next time my nivida drivers need to update to see if it resets my settings back to default ones.

I would think it might work if you pull the game file before updating Nvidia. This way the Nvidia update can't intefere with the game file if you pull it.

I would think it might work if you pull the game file before updating Nvidia. This way the Nvidia update can't intefere with the game file if you pull it.

ive just checked and there is a update for my nivida drivers, I pulled out the sims 3 folder from my documents and placed it on the desktop until its updated.