Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

80's Stuff Pack (***Concept Art*** Renders) UPDATED 1/23/2020

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited December 2017
    Teen movies 1983. I am looking at a list

Flashdance, Risky Business, War Games, Valley Girl, My Tudor, Class, Christine, All The right Moves, Bad Boys, Porky's II, Spring Break, Private School,

Rob Lowe and Tom Cruz were also popular along with Matt Dillon in those days.

The outsiders came out that year with allot of young popular actors but It takes place in the 1950's
    edited December 2017
    More info on stranger things. Season 2 episode 6 . Steve talking about using Farrah Fawcett Faberge Shampoo. That came out in 1978. Heather Locklear did the Faberge commercial in the early 80's. Does Steve have cases of leftover shampoo from 1978 he is still using in 1984 ? :/
  • Dreagen1Dreagen1 Posts: 570 Member
    @Dreagen1 I got to watch some of Stranger Things. I do not feel like I am emersed in the 80's. It's kind of a mash of 1970's looks. Even the furniture and house is more 1970's. I noticed in the second episode season 1 Nancy is wearing an authentic 80's top. The V neck stripe top with the puffy shoulders. They probably found that in a thrift store. We wore stuff like that in the early 80's. around 1981- 1982. The first season is supposed to be 1983. 1983 started the movie Flashdance . Off the shoulder sweatshirts were big then. I like the hair on your sim better than Steve's. I don't like Steve's hair. My son makes fun of Steve's hair and he likes the show. I don't know if they are trying to go for a Jason Patric look from 1987 lost boys movie mixed in with the wrong clothing. I looked up the creators of the show , They were born in 1984 so they would not have grown up in the 80's . That's a problem for me since I did grow up then and I know it was nothing really like what they are putting in this show.

Popular boys back in 1983 would have looked more like Matt Dillon in movies Little Darlings, Tex.

The movie Valley Girl also came out in 1983. Frank Zappa's song Valley Girl was also popular back then.

1983 movie Flashdance

also I double checked this fact. The Mullet or bi-level hair cut was popular then . Not something you want to bring back :p

I'm still thinking about this

My feeling is if you want to go with authentic 80's separate that from stranger things. Do a separate pack for stranger things.

Ill use this when I make a new render, also more movies to watch :)
    New one
    tumblr_p0ietvIDzd1tcw5z8o1_1280.png
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,775 Member
    Your renders are fantastic! If you still need reference material, look up Molly Ringwald! She was the it girl! 16 Candles, The Breakfast Club, and Pretty in Pink.
    edited December 2017
    @Dreagen1 We would not have worn leg warmers with pumps. Leg warmers were more the physical fitness craze. Olivia Newton John's song and video Physical or falshdance movie with the off the shoulder sweatshirt. They would have worn headbands not a bow in their hair. Flat Jazz Capezio dance shoes were in. People put hard soles on them so you could wear them in the street..With pumps back in the early 80's we wore baby socks or tights. They made the baby socks for adults. The thin socks that fold over with lace on the trim. This is more 1983. I was watching some soul train videos. I remember shirt dresses were big too.

I just watched Purple Rain That was big in 1984. You can see how some people dressed, the hair styles in the audience etc. Prince always had his own look .

1984 Movies

Ghost Busters ( do not know why stranger things put that in 1983)

Gremlins

Purple Rain

Footloose

Revenge of the Nerds

Breakin

Breakin II Electric Boogaloo

Sixteen Candles

Nightmare on Elmstreet ( Johnny Depp's first movie )

The Flamingo Kid

Beat Street

Where The Boys Are

Oxford Blues

Bows in the hair Madonna or Boy George looks. George is big on hats but he sometimes wore bows if you check google images

Looking up more stuff I could overload you with music videos. My suggestion is to look up each year 1980, 81, 82 etc Billboard top 100 lists. They had different lists for R & B, Pop, Rock, Rap. There are allot of great songs back then that may have not even made the top 100. I grew up in NYC so we had allot of more underground music. Some songs were bigger hits in the UK than USA and visa versa . For example I read somewhere that Culture Club ( Boy George) song " Miss Me Blind" was written for a USA audience . It was # 5 on billboard in 1984

I also forgot in 1983 John Travolta's movie Stayin Alive which is another dance movie
    Post edited by phoebebebe13 on
    edited December 2017
    Dreagen1 wrote: »
    New one
    tumblr_p0ietvIDzd1tcw5z8o1_1280.png
    leg warmers were not worn with pumps. Leather jackets did not look like that then. Fringe jackets and boots were all the rage. The hair style is wrong with the clothes. Look at Bonjovi's Runaway video 1984 . Fringed leather jackets. Ferris Bueller's day off is 1986 but character Sloan I believe wears the fringe type jackets of the 80's

Allot of our jackets had shoulder pads

We did sometimes wear MC ( motorcycle ) Jackets but usually black and they were men's jackets. I had a woman's MC crop jacket in the early 90's .

if you have amazon prime flashdance and Desperately Seeking Susan is free. if you like all those hairstyles with the bows watch the Madonna movie and all her very early videos from the 80's. She wore those bows with allot of lace and bustier type clothing with granny boots etc
    @Dreagen1 We would not have worn leg warmers with pumps. Leg warmers were more the physical fitness craze. Olivia Newton John's song and video Physical or falshdance movie with the off the shoulder sweatshirt. They would have worn headbands not a bow in their hair. Flat Jazz Capezio dance shoes were in. People put hard soles on them so you could wear them in the street..With pumps back in the early 80's we wore baby socks or tights. They made the baby socks for adults. The thin socks that fold over with lace on the trim. This is more 1983. I was watching some soul train videos. I remember shirt dresses were big too.

I just watched Purple Rain That was big in 1984. You can see how some people dressed, the hair styles in the audience etc. Prince always had his own look .

1984 Movies

Gremlins

Purple Rain

Footloose

Revenge of the Nerds

Breakin

Sixteen Candles

The Flamingo Kid

Beat Street

Where The Boys Are

Oxford Blues

Bows in the hair Madonna or Boy George looks. George is big on hats but he sometimes wore bows if you check google images

Looking up more stuff I could overload you with music videos. My suggestion is to look up each year 1980, 81, 82 etc Billboard top 100 lists. They had different lists for R & B, Pop, Rock, Rap. There are allot of great songs back then that may have not even made the top 100. I grew up in NYC so we had allot of more underground music. Some songs were bigger hits in the UK than USA and visa versa . For example I read somewhere that Culture Club ( Boy George) song " Miss Me Blind" was written for a USA audience . It was # 5 on billboard in 1984

I also forgot in 1983 John Travolta's movie Stayin Alive which is another dance movie

The valley girl movie poster has her wearing leg warmers with pumps... I was just going off of that with my own twist.
    I’m only posting them on my Twitter from now on. It’s KC89901. Barely anybody comes on here anymore.
  • ysa88ysa88 Posts: 260 Member
    edited December 2017
    Aw I love your renders, please post them here :( Maybe you could do a showcase of all of them on the general discussion page.
    simblr

ea id: ysa_88
    edited December 2017
    Dreagen1 wrote: »

1984 Movies

Gremlins

Purple Rain

Footloose

Revenge of the Nerds

Breakin

Sixteen Candles

The Flamingo Kid

Beat Street

Where The Boys Are

Oxford Blues

The valley girl movie poster has her wearing leg warmers with pumps... I was just going off of that with my own twist.

We never wore that though. Valley Girl was based in California and made fun of the way they speak. The Girl who who actually stars in the movie isn't even on the poster with Nicholas Cage. That was a big mistake done by the movie studio. That poster is more of a cartoon . I get it's your own take but your mixing styles from different years and styles we would not have mixed together.

Valley Girls have a certain way of speaking. If you go on youtube and listen to Frank Zappa's song Valley Girl, His daughter Moon Unit Zappa does all the Valley Girl talk on the song.

Also a great teen movie1982 is Fast Times at Ridgemout High

I just also came across a movie on youtube I have never seen. It's called High School USA 1983 and there seems to be allot of known teen actors from that time period in the movie. I started watching it to see how many people I know are in it. Michael J Fox. Nancy McKeon , Crispin Glover, and some others. Add: It looks like a made for TV movie. We had allot of those back then.

If you want a cool look for the 80's Joan Jett videos.
    edited December 2017
    just watched Valley Girl. I had not seen that in a long time. No one in the movie is wearing leg warmers with pumps. One of the girls in the movie is wearing the baby ruffle socks with pumps like i mentioned we wore back then. Pink and turquoise were the it colors. People wore bandanas then too. If you watch the ZZ Top video, the song Legs, you will see they dress up a woman in the shoe store and she is also wearing the baby ruffle socks with pumps
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    edited December 2017
    Gotta have the rough matted carpet in that stuff pack too!
  • ponderosaponderosa Posts: 238 Member
    this thread would have been a lot more fun without having someone gatekeep the 80s. cool renders. convinced me to follow your twitter.
    tumblr_opta4zrh011r17qi5o1_500.gif
    origin ID: maureenponderosa
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Your renders are really pretty!
    The 80's had a lot of huge padded shoulders too. In Australia, the fashion for jeans was 501's with really pointy toed boots, no skinny jeans.
    I don't know about anywhere else, but there were quite a few girls wearing outfits like the one depicted in your second render ( which I really love ) except the fashion here was for bright & neon colours rather than black.

Your pictures look terrific :)
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    edited December 2017
    @Pary Neon was everywhere. The Big shirts, Frankie says relax T's ( I never wore the Frankie shirt or the Neon :p ) . There are so many videos OP can look at for ideas since we were the music television generation . That's where allot of the styles came from
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I grew up during this time frame, and I still listen to the 1st Wave station on SiriusXM almost every day. These renders are fantastic. I'd buy this pack in a heartbeat.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • SimmerSuper6464SimmerSuper6464 Posts: 224 Member
    On the pack cover, the girl on the left, if that were the pack cover what about people who don’t own cats and dogs? Just wondering.
    Anyway I love that stuff!
  • X_Alexia_Hazel_XX_Alexia_Hazel_X Posts: 12 New Member
    Is it me or does the guy look like Steve from Stranger Things? XD
    edited April 2018
    Party
    tumblr_p6zit7HRic1tcw5z8o1_1280.png
    Party - light
    tumblr_p6zit7HRic1tcw5z8o2_1280.png
  • micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    Gorgeous renders. I had Arcade girls jacket and Madonna Fans hair. OK, I had a few more things from Madonna fan. OK, I had a lot from Madonna fan. We also had the goose cookie jar in our kitchen.
  • hevkerhevker Posts: 84 Member
    I adore the hairs we can see. This looks really really great! It looks like you've done a amazing job bringing us those nostalgia feels <3
  • rafaeljonasrafaeljonas Posts: 227 Member
    I think your concept was inspiration to create the sofa of my first pet stuff pack!
    I think your concept was inspiration to create the sofa of my first pet stuff pack!

Actually that is the sofa from that pack :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top