NOVEMBER 15 - It's Patch Day for The Sims 4! Check out whats fixed.
The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs: Create The Most Unique Pets With Create A Pet! Read more on the blog.
The Sims 4 Is Coming To Xbox One and PlayStation 4! Read the blog for more info.

Sims 2 Pets vs Sims 4 Pets

Any other Sims 2 lovers feel disappointed about the Sims 4 Cats and Dogs? I just don't see how they're better than even the Sims 2 cats and dogs. At least these pets actually worked without bugs or poor AI. The new pets don't even look any more realistic than the Sims 2 ones. All this is making me want to play Sims 2 Pets again.

Comments

• JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 3,871 Member
    Disappointed? No, that would mean I actually gave a "plum" about it. I don't, or any of the rest of that iteration. Caring stopped a long time ago. Don't own a single thing for it and never will. Just from what I have heard around, I can say 2 had far less bugs, better looking pet beds, and dog houses. :D Oh ya and it didn't make things so childish the animals reproduced by rubbing noses...seriously?? Anyway if you feel like playing 2 pets again that is what you should do. :)
  • lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 563 Member
    edited November 14
    I didn't play sims 4 pets (can't buy a new desktoop ♫ yep, i'm singing this sentence ^^') but they look cute (a simmer show a picture of the two dogs sleeping in the bedroom of the toddler and following her everywhere, exactly the kind of thing my dog used to do when he was alive).
    But yes, sims 2 pets are less buggy. I just wish i had more stuff for them, because honestly they don't have much. The dogs only have one toy, same for the cats.
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 4,882 Member
    The pets themselves act like pets in TS4 but yeah, TS2 did them waaaaay better. You can’t wven see their age or needs or anything in TS4.

—T
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 456 Member
    I think the way cats and dogs behave in 4 is a lot better personally. When Cats and Dogs was announced I decided to jump on the hype train by playing Sims 2 and 3 Pets, and now that I've moved onto 4 I can say from my experience the cats and dogs in 4 really do stand out in terms of their behaviour, they really are quite distinct and different based on their traits. One thing 4 I would say also does better than 2 and 3 is changing the dynamic of a household with a pet vs without a pet. In 2 and 3 the only times I really interacted with my pet is when I had to train them, or decided to play with the gameplay a cat or dog offered, in 4 however they really force me to change the way I play, and depending on who you are that could be a good thing or a bad thing. I personally love it as my gameplay differs in households with pets as opposed to those without pets. In 2 and 3 I could generally ignore the pet and they'd be fine.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 34,228 Member
    They're cute. I think they go well with that game.

I don't really care too much about pets in the games. They can be fun if the houses are small. I haven't played them in TS4 but I don't think they'll make me like the game any more than I don't already.

I don't want to HAVE to play with them if I have them so I like TS2 and TS3 just fine.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 3,035 Member
    The sims 2 is better. You can see your pets needs, relationships, skills and pets aren't needy. Also a bored pet acts like a bored pet and Is destructive. There is pet beds, careers and I just feel being able to see all the info makes them more fun.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 27,499 Member
    edited November 21
    Then you should play TS2 Pets for awhile and you will see the differences. I didn't have to buy TS4 C&D to know it is a watered down version and lot of animations and interactions left out. Let alone dog houses, pet beds, pet treats and toys, spontainous interactions, stats/motives, hiring a trainer, jobs, special collars (earned/unlockable) mating, traits/like brave, praisng not just scolding, controllabe cheat menu, etc.. etc.

It reminds me of mobile game ad ons, cute doesn't cut it. It's been years since I gave my Sims in TS2 a pet, but even I know TS4 is watered down pet EP. They kept saying stuff like but cats can jump on things...they do in TS2, too, so....? And TS2 pets show their emotions, maybe better than TS4 cats and dogs do. TS2 pets have thought bubbles, which added to the story and sometimes helpful, sometimes funny. Special animations like when you had to give up a litter, the police came to take them away and the Sim runs to the car to watch them go and is crying.

I don't think TS4 gets Sim players at all. I think what they understand is 'going through the motions' (just like a mobile game) and nothing more.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

TS4 without Terrian Tools is like Windows 8 or 10 without the Start Menu.

• allieb028allieb028 Posts: 44 Member
    TS2 did a lot of things right. The new pet expansion was cool at first and then in a couple of hours you will be like that's it? I wish of I would of gotten it on sale or something and not pay that forty bucks.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 27,499 Member
    allieb028 wrote: »
    TS2 did a lot of things right. The new pet expansion was cool at first and then in a couple of hours you will be like that's it? I wish of I would of gotten it on sale or something and not pay that forty bucks.

Does C&D let your pet choose who is master? Once you reach 'master' status in TS2 the dog or cat is more likely to listen to that particular Sim.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

TS4 without Terrian Tools is like Windows 8 or 10 without the Start Menu.

• DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 334 Member
    I didn't like pets in TS2 for how they would break the fears cycle, which ruled them out from my runs. However, going from "clickable" to "controlable" to downright "unclickable" makes TS4 pets worse in comparaison.
  • RnM92RnM92 Posts: 113 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Then you should play TS2 Pets for awhile and you will see the differences. I didn't have to buy TS4 C&D to know it is a watered down version and lot of animations and interactions left out. Let alone dog houses, pet beds, pet treats and toys, spontainous interactions, stats/motives, hiring a trainer, jobs, special collars (earned/unlockable) mating, traits/like brave, praisng not just scolding, controllabe cheat menu, etc.. etc.

It reminds me of mobile game ad ons, cute doesn't cut it. It's been years since I gave my Sims in TS2 a pet, but even I know TS4 is watered down pet EP. They kept saying stuff like but cats can jump on things...they do in TS2, too, so....? And TS2 pets show their emotions, maybe better than TS4 cats and dogs do. TS2 pets have thought bubbles, which added to the story and sometimes helpful, sometimes funny. Special animations like when you had to give up a litter, the police came to take them away and the Sim runs to the car to watch them go and is crying.

I don't think TS4 gets Sim players at all. I think what they understand is 'going through the motions' (just like a mobile game) and nothing more.

Don't worry, I certainly didn't buy it! I knew enough from seeing the trailers/gameplay vids/info on the forums to know it would be disappointing. It's just frustrating that pets are the latest casualty in the Sims 4 hash job of old content. It just disappoints me so much that this is how it is, in the fourth game. Anyone who didn't know would would think the Sims 4 is the sequel to the Sims 1. It just upsets me because I always loved pets in the Sims. And you're totally right about the pets themselves, they were definitely more expressive and realistic in 2. The Sims 4's pets just seem very clunky and wooden to me. And they sound very unnatural (you can tell it's a human doing the pet voices). I can't remember whether the Sims 2 pets were real animal voices or not, they certainly sound more like real animals.