Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cats and Dogs VS Time Management

Comments

• JagwithtudeJagwithtude Posts: 1,452 Member
    muzickmage wrote: »
    Simsweetie wrote: »
    I never did understand the need to have the time clock tick by a 1min/sec. With all the different activites in the game for our sims to adopt and experience, having the time clock tick by at that speed makes it difficult to actually enjoy the opportunities the game offers. Just getting your sims ready to start an opportunity (such as a family camping trip) can take the fun right out of the entire outing. (just saying).

I understand some simmers like the time clock the way it is, and fair enough. But it would be nice if EA took into account the time it takes just for queve activities to even begin, let alone complete.

It’s not an issue with the time clock. The clock in Sims 4 moves slower than Sims 3, which moves slower than Sims 2. The issue is due to the length of time each interaction takes to complete, and it’s made worse by multitasking which essentially pauses one action while another one is taking place.

To address the issue they would have to modify the length of different actions, especially when multitasking is taking place.

I think an argument can be made for both sides of the coin.

If instead of having the time clock tick by at 1min/sec... have it be 1min/2 sec.... that would give us double the time for the animatins to play through. So animations that take (currently) 1 hour to complete (such as eating a bowl of cereal) would take instead just 30 minutes.

The animations could stay the same.... and still take the same length of time to complete. But be measured differently by the time clock running in the background of those animations.

Changing the animations so they don't take up as much time, will be helpful (as you suggest), but will cost us some animations for our gameplay. Some play the game for the animations (I do too to some degree).

I'm just not sure if the time clock is independant of those animations. Is it running in the background (as I assume)? Or is it coded into each of the animations themselves?

That's exactly how I have my game time set via MCC. 1 min per 2 secs, and it's AWESOME. My sims finally don't even need a full hour to get ready for work/school, which leaves them time to do things like play chess (get focused) and brush their teeth (get confident) etc.

I heard of this MCC mod (from this thread) but I don't know anything about it. Could you explain it maybe. Do you have a link to the mod?

https://deaderpoolmc.tumblr.com/doc/overview

Thanks for the link. I'll have to filter through it all later in search of a download button lol.

I usually don't use mods for the sims game. ... but... there's a few ideas that I kinda really like soooooo... i'm jumpin in lol.

Download link in under the releases tab
    https://deaderpoolmc.tumblr.com/tagged/mcccrelease

Did you use Twaillan's mod for Sims 3?

No, didn't use Twaillan's mod.

I found a download link:
    (MC Command Center - All Modules Version 3.9.0)

The version broke with the C&D patch, you will need to download the latest hotfix here https://www.patreon.com/posts/mc-command-3-9-6-15332977

Any questions feel free to just ask.
    "If you could read my mind, I'm pretty sure you'd be traumatized for life"

Join us on Discord for help with MC Command Center @ Discord https://discord.gg/TKp3GqE
    The latest version of MCCC 3.9.6 go to https://www.patreon.com/posts/mc-command-3-9-6-15332977

Rrkznuy.jpg?4

• fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    I mod my games for things taking *less* time and I also just forget about trying to play TS4 as if it's reality or realistic. So my sims don't often work at all except for at home jobs or if they have a specific desire for a career even then I'm very lackadaisical about advancing. I make the lifespans REALLY long because it doesn't seem like they can have a fulfilling life unless they have long lives. I have less expectations of them fulfilling an "average" human goals. So all day club meeting or all day lunch doesn't interfere as much with my playing as I already know dedicating time to a meal out or a club meeting is an all day affair.
  • fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    Time management is a nightmare in this game, even moreso now with pets. I think it’s rather interesting that they made pets incompatible with multitasking - Sims will have to finish whatever action they are doing before they do any action with a dog/cat. No big deal on the surface, but some of the actions Sims do take entirely too much time to accomplish which leads to cancellations and overall interaction failures because it took them 4-5 sim hours to finish what they were doing and to do what I told them to.

It also doesn’t help that pets have the same AI pause as toddlers. Since we can’t control pets in any way, selecting an action should automatically cancel whatever the pet was doing so the selected Sim isn’t standing around forever waiting for the dog/cat to finish what they’re doing so the selected action can begin.

Yeah I noticed the multitasking thing too. It really bothered me because that was one thing I expected them to do strongly. So kind of disappointing.
  • SimsweetieSimsweetie Posts: 562 Member
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    I never did understand the need to have the time clock tick by a 1min/sec. With all the different activites in the game for our sims to adopt and experience, having the time clock tick by at that speed makes it difficult to actually enjoy the opportunities the game offers. Just getting your sims ready to start an opportunity (such as a family camping trip) can take the fun right out of the entire outing. (just saying).

I understand some simmers like the time clock the way it is, and fair enough. But it would be nice if EA took into account the time it takes just for queve activities to even begin, let alone complete.

It’s not an issue with the time clock. The clock in Sims 4 moves slower than Sims 3, which moves slower than Sims 2. The issue is due to the length of time each interaction takes to complete, and it’s made worse by multitasking which essentially pauses one action while another one is taking place.

To address the issue they would have to modify the length of different actions, especially when multitasking is taking place.

If instead of having the time clock tick by at 1min/sec... have it be 1min/2 sec.... that would give us double the time for the animatins to play through. So animations that take (currently) 1 hour to complete (such as eating a bowl of cereal) would take instead just 30 minutes.

The animations could stay the same.... and still take the same length of time to complete. But be measured differently by the time clock running in the background of those animations.

Changing the animations so they don't take up as much time, will be helpful (as you suggest), but will cost us some animations for our gameplay. Some play the game for the animations (I do too to some degree).

I'm just not sure if the time clock is independant of those animations. Is it running in the background (as I assume)? Or is it coded into each of the animations themselves?

That's exactly how I have my game time set via MCC. 1 min per 2 secs, and it's AWESOME. My sims finally don't even need a full hour to get ready for work/school, which leaves them time to do things like play chess (get focused) and brush their teeth (get confident) etc.

I am doing this as well but it does not work out too well for me, though. Unfortunately the timer for all the interactions which happen in the game directly (or hidden) scale with the length of the day. You eat longer, you shower longer etc. (REAL TIME). First I thought it was great, exactly what I was looking for. But it also means: You only gain netto "free-time" when you move your sims around the lot.

Also a negative side effect: Sims idle when they perform Actions (during an Animation-cycle, for example) in order to become accessable for multi-tasking or Player Input, however, the time Frame of said idle-window needs to be reduced by at least 50%) .

Bowling becomes literally unplayable due to the huge break sims take every turn they make.

---

In TS3 Actions did not scale with day length.

You must be doing something different than I. My sims don't do things longer, they have tons more free time. I used to be lucky if I got them to use the bathroom and eat before they had to leave. Now they can use the bathroom, shower, eat, brush their teeth/play chess/feed the dog whatever before they have to go.

I am using MCCC (patreon Edition) and I have manipulated the following value. You click on your Computer --> MCCC Settings --> game Settings --> game Speed --> X (here defeault value is 25, mine is 90 right now because everything above would corrupt my game).

Is there something else you've been doing?

Maybe you just have set too high and it's causing lag/slow down? I have mine set to 50.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I think pets highlight just how poor time management is in the game. My sims who work barely have time fit anything else. My household with two parents, a child and toddler and now two cats and a dog have no lives. When they come home from work they have to deal with the pets. Even the toddler is less needy. I play the sims 1-3 most of the time and when I play them after 4 I'm shocked at how more natural everything feels. Meals don't take over an hour (eating in or out) showers don't take an hour and activities feel natural and don't take all day.
  • HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited November 2017
    I think pets highlight just how poor time management is in the game. My sims who work barely have time fit anything else. My household with two parents, a child and toddler and now two cats and a dog have no lives. When they come home from work they have to deal with the pets. Even the toddler is less needy. I play the sims 1-3 most of the time and when I play them after 4 I'm shocked at how more natural everything feels. Meals don't take over an hour (eating in or out) showers don't take an hour and activities feel natural and don't take all day.

I can't confirm this. It took me literally 5 (FIVE) sims days to make my dog and cat 100% Independent from my sim (although he has a full time Job at his vet clinic). The only Thing he has to do is to fill up their Food bowl every 2-3 days. I am sorry but I seriously have no idea what you guys are even doing in your games xD .
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

I can't confirm this. It took me literally 5 (FIVE) sims days to make my dog and cat 100% Independent from my sim (although he has a full time Job at his vet clinic). The only Thing he has to do is to fill up their Food bowl every 2-3 days. I am sorry but I seriously have no idea what you guys are even doing in your games xD .

We have different play styles? Different pets with different traits. In that household I'm referring to my pets are needy, in another household the pets aren't as much. I can't help it if my sims take forever to do simple things.
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited November 2017

We have different play styles? Different pets with different traits. In that household I'm referring to my pets are needy, in another household the pets aren't as much. I can't help it if my sims take forever to do simple things.

But do realize that your household is indeed extremly complicated to deal with. It would most likely have been rated max difficulty household in TS3, and for good reasons :)
    edited November 2017
    Dijktafone wrote: »

But do realize that your household is indeed extremly complicated to deal with. It would most likely have been rated max difficulty household in TS3 :)
    You think? I don't agree. I have households like that in the sims 2 and 3 and they are far, far easier to deal with.
    Yes, I was just talking difficulty rating. Toddlers are demanding, and it also depends on the perks you bought for the parents, the quality of your furniture... There are things that can facilitate the life of your family, but obviously, at times, this may become cahotic.
    You think? I don't agree. I hate households like that in the sims 2 [...] they are far, far easier to deal with.

Yup, now you convinced me. We clearly must be playing different games o:)

"[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

You think? I don't agree. I hate households like that in the sims 2 [...] they are far, far easier to deal with.

Oh yes! I remember my first set of twin toddlers in the sims 2... That Mayhem!

Hate was a typo, now been corrected to have households like that in the sims 2.

@Dijktafone I don't think the sims 4 game is the hardest. It's not, it's the easiest. What my biggest annoyance of the game is how time management works. Because sims in the sims 4 take forever to do something as simple as eat a bowl of cereal I can't maximise their time efficiently. In the previous games time management is better so I get more done and I'm not sitting about watching sims play a 10 hour game of bowling.
    edited November 2017

YES! Exactly ^^ .

@Dijktafone I don't think the sims 4 game is the hardest. It's not, it's the easiest. What my biggest annoyance of the game is how time management works. Because sims in the sims 4 take forever to do something as simple as eat a bowl of cereal I can't maximise their time efficiently. In the previous games time management is better so I get more done and I'm not sitting about watching sims play a 10 hour game of bowling.

I especially agree with the bolted but Well, not with the last part, though. Because you can still maximize their free time efficiently with the given resources and under the given conditions. However, I agree that they Need to adjust the idle-timer (it's the time when sims become accessable for multi-tasking during an Animation cycle). If they did that sims would gain 50% more time. That's huge if you consider that sims eat and drink several times a day + the idle-phase can be reduced for other activities as well (I look at you Bowling)! AND they Need to make days longer. Period.

Oh I understand for the long activities, no doubt. Still, 10h of bowling, for one game, this ought to be a record!
    edited November 2017

YES! Exactly ^^ .

I especially agree with the bolted but Well, not with the last part, though. Because you can still maximize their free time efficiently with the given resources and under the given conditions. However, I agree that they Need to adjust the idle- (the time sims are accessable for multi-tasking during an Animation cycle). If they did that sims would gain 50% more time. That's huge if you consider that sims eat and drink several times a day + the idle-phase can be reduced with other activities as well (I look at you Bowling)!

I despise their Idle time too, mostly because that's the moment family members usually chose to throw a conversation-sneak-attack. Once, I tried to level-up Dina Caliente's Mixology skill, in a household where 3 other sims live. Well that wasn't efficient time-management-wise.

[Edit]AAck, double post :(
  • ravelravel Posts: 98 Member
    I think the amount of time it takes to do things is fine (except eating, it's quite laggy). Like some others in this thread, I would also like them to adjust the clock so there would be more time to explore all the amaizing content that there is.

Now I have to keep at least one adult jobless to actually play the game and explore all the cool stuff the game has + take care of toddlers and now pets :D . And I still have to cheat their needs every now and then.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Like others, I use MCCC to double the length of a sim day.

Before that, I used to pause the game a lot to micromanage, it was not enjoyable. I worry less about wasting time now and let free will do its thing more. And I can micromanage without pausing when I need to.
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    I would like to take a moment here to say thank you to all the people who commented on my thread here, more so because I greatly appreciate my opening post not being used as a tool to attack me and label me a "complainer". lol. (we've all seen that happen to people)

Because of the posts from different people, I was able to actually discuss my frustration, see that others are experiencing the same issue, and am extra thankful to those who are helping me find a better resolve.

Maybe the MCCC mod is what i'm looking for. Don't know yet, still working it out. But hey, its worth a shot right? lol.

Anyway, thanks people.
  • fruitsmisfruitsmis Posts: 82 Member
    edited November 2017
    I don't think pets are right for all of my households. Some of them are way too busy or interested in other things to be the right fit for a pet. That's true of real life as well. As for sims dropping an action that I've directed in the queue after delaying? Yeah, that's an annoying factor in time management; I will agree with that one. Generally though, this expansion has really livened up the game and is definitely something that I was waiting for.

I completely agree with this statement. I'm finding dogs higher maintenance for sure. Having to tell them to go potty, or even finding time to take them for walks after working, or going to school, AND still finding time to get my sims' needs up can all be a tad tedious and sometimes feel like too much... especially when I'm lucky to have triplets thrown into the mix..... Definitely reminds me why I'm a cat owner in real life...

sometimes I wish I could just hire a dog walker... (like a neighbourhood kid to walk my dogs for my sims...)
    edited November 2017

I am doing this as well but it does not work out too well for me, though. Unfortunately the timer for all the interactions which happen in the game directly (or hidden) scale with the length of the day. You eat longer, you shower longer etc. (REAL TIME). First I thought it was great, exactly what I was looking for. But it also means: You only gain netto "free-time" when you move your sims around the lot.

Also a negative side effect: Sims idle when they perform Actions (during an Animation-cycle, for example) in order to become accessable for multi-tasking or Player Input, however, the time Frame of said idle-window needs to be reduced by at least 50%) .

Bowling becomes literally unplayable due to the huge break sims take every turn they make.

---

You must be doing something different than I. My sims don't do things longer, they have tons more free time. I used to be lucky if I got them to use the bathroom and eat before they had to leave. Now they can use the bathroom, shower, eat, brush their teeth/play chess/feed the dog whatever before they have to go.

I am using MCCC (patreon Edition) and I have manipulated the following value. You click on your Computer --> MCCC Settings --> game Settings --> game Speed --> X (here defeault value is 25, mine is 90 right now because everything above would corrupt my game).

Maybe you just have set too high and it's causing lag/slow down? I have mine set to 50.

Thank you for your help. I got a Reply from Deaderpool on this matter, though.

"However, like you have said, interactions also take longer or shorter depending on how you adjust the time speed. Not really an option on that for me. EA just gave us one time speed property to change and they use it for both the duration of the day and the duration of interactions."

Unfortunately the Duration of interaction will always scale with the length of day. EA dropped the ball with the (internal) clock inTS4. I seriously don't know why.

• SimsweetieSimsweetie Posts: 562 Member

---

"However, like you have said, interactions also take longer or shorter depending on how you adjust the time speed. Not really an option on that for me. EA just gave us one time speed property to change and they use it for both the duration of the day and the duration of interactions."

Unfortunately the Duration of interaction will always scale with the length of day. EA dropped the ball with the (internal) clock inTS4. I seriously don't know why.

I saw that too and wondered if the question came from you. I don't know why I have so much more time then if that's the case but I do! My best advice would be to try setting it at 50 and see what you think. 90 seems really long.

---

I saw that too and wondered if the question came from you. I don't know why I have so much more time then if that's the case but I do! My best advice would be to try setting it at 50 and see what you think. 90 seems really long.

Good Point! I tried 50 earlier and - indeed - it worked a Little bit better. Again: Thank you for your advice.

• esharpmajoresharpmajor Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited November 2017
    I also found the dogs in particular were unmanageable without the MCC time scale change. I felt I was seeing a decrease in efficiency; I was seeing lots of dropped queued actions. This issue was also visible with toddlers. Setting MCC time to 50 resolved these issues for me, same as others have reported. I wanted to write out the assumption I've been working with on why this fix worked, and see if anyone can debunk it for me:

Lets assume shower is meant to take 20m Game-Time (GT) / 20s Real Time (RT). (don't remember the actual time showers take but wtv, just as a hypothetical example, lets go with it...) On a god-like/no CC/particularly lucky computer this is exactly what happens. No probs.

HOWEVER should your computer lag a bit during that action, it causes the animation to pause every so slightly adding in a moment of 'nothing' (simulation lag) while the game 'catches up'. (I've noticed when experiencing high levels of sim lag the game clock keeps trucking on while my sim stands there smiling into the void, presumably taking a time-out so my computer doesn't catch fire.) Let's say that when this occurs it causes the shower to effectively last 30mGT / 30sRT.

When MCC time is set to 50 a shower should still last 20mGT but your computer has twice as long, 40sRT, to complete that action/animation. This means the animation is completed without lag, so it does not add additional time to the action.

That means the shower will ACTUALLY last 20mGT / 40sRT not 30mGT / 30sRT. So, you actually end up gaining 10mGT despite the action appearing to progress slower in RT. Slow and steady wins the race?

I don't know enough about how the tech works to really say for sure, but that's my head cannon for the moment. From where I'm sitting it seems noticeably better on 50, but no better than 50 on 60, nor on 70, 100 etc. I can't think of any other reason why this might be the case, but I'd love to hear one. This would explain why so many of us have wildly differing opinions on whether or not it is an improvement and whether or not it is possible to get 'enough done in a day'. Presumably, if my theory is true at all, if you have a worse rig a >50 setting would work better, whereas if you had a better rig, <50 would be better. Just my guess.
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    It makes it worse that it seems when your pet wants to interact with your sim their current action is canceled. My sim put her food back in the fridge to stand there and wait for the cat to walk up and meow. But pets actions don't seem to get cancelled when Sims try to interact with them. My sim literally stood still while the pet left the lot to hunt and wouldn't move until the pet was done. I often have to cancel pet interactions because it wastes so much time.